Tortured: How Celtic fans travelled to England to taunt ex-Rangers striker Sam English over John Thomson's death

The Herald inaccurate even all those years ago. Read in the book "Struth" that Sam English had teeth marks on his knee but the Herald reports that Sam smashed into him with his steel toe capped boots.

It's quite clear in the film footage that Thomson's head collides with the knee of Sam English.

A leopard can’t change its spots, mentally challengeds can’t change theirs either (or their clothes) even after 90 odd years.

The animal offspring in Dalmuir used to go to St Stephen's in the mid to late sixties. Our school was about 400 yds away from Sammy's house. The Scumbags were closer and got let out 5 mins before us. They were in the habit of, about every 4 weeks or so, of running round to Sam's house, maybe about 8-10 of them. They'd stand in the pavement constantly chanting "Sammy's a killer" till they saw us coming then theyr'd run like fck. This would go on for 4 or 5 days at a time.
They've always been cowards, always will be.

John Thomson was a protestant and his funeral was held in the Church of Scotland church and Maley refused to go and step into a protestant church

Absolute bigot!
Maley was by all accounts an absolute rat who tried to sell Jimmy McGrory to Arsenal behind his back and when McGrory refused to go he ensured that McGrory was paid less than other players.

He also owned or had a financial interest (where have we heard that before with that mob) in a restaurant in Glasgow and made his players have at least one meal a week there (which they had to pay for of course).

A hero to them, a greedy vile bigot to the rest of humanity.

Last edited:
John Thomson was a protestant and his funeral was held in the Church of Scotland church and Maley refused to go and step into a protestant church

Absolute bigot!

I was going to post the same. He went to the funeral I think but refused to go into the church. I think he was a member of a church known as The Church of Christ, rather than the Church of Scotland, but he was a Protestant and for that Maley refused to enter the church. A despicable man, borne out by his "I hope it was an accident" comment at the tribunal/fatal accident enquiry. That whole club is and always has been rancid from top to bottom.

Last edited:
Maley was by all accounts an absolute rat who tried to sell Jimmy McGrory to Arsenal behind his back and when McGrory refused to go he ensured that McGrory was paid less than other players.

He also owned or had a financial interest (where have we heard that before with that mob) in a restaurant in Glasgow and made his players have at least one meal a week there (which they had to pay for of course).

A hero to them, a greedy vile bigot to the rest of humanity.

It was The Bank Restaurant. There was a pub called The Bank in Queen St, just before Argyle St. I'm presuming it was the same pub that lasted into the 80s.

The scum manager at the time hinted that it might not have been an accident. So even back in those days, the club itself was inciting violence from their own fans.
I’ve said it many times before and I’ll say it again. When is this despicable organisation going to be shut down by the authorities?

todays reptiles are only following in the footsteps of their vile great grandfathers,just what did the second city of the empire do,to have these animals placed in our city amongst good,honest decent people,donegal scum each and every one

They will never change and only become worse over time. It is essential that we learn the lesson from our forefathers: never surrender.

Maley was a prick, completely agree this shows their behaviour now is not new. In saying that their club was founded by robbing another team of all its players so it’s been ingrained in them from the moment they were shat into existence.
I`ve no idea of his demise, but I hope Maley died the death of a thousand pains; the disgraceful 19th Century Terrorist c*nt.

Maley sounds a complete lady's front bottom and basically sums them up

The whole situation was a tragedy. Thomson was a fine goalkeeper, and English a good man. No one of any decency could blame him.

Heartbreaking story that I’ve read many a time but Jeff puts, as always, an excellent and factual account of the events.

As for them, I’m always left wondering, “if we hadn’t taken them in”

A sad story for all involved.
re tims going to hartlepool though- is there any actual evidence of this? A long way to travel back then.

My Dad who was a goalkeeper for Morton and Dundee East Craigie in the late 30's, he was not a Rangers man but an Albion Rovers fan, but his twin brother Davy was an avid Rangers man.
The both of them went to this game and my Dad said it was unfortunate accident, he said Thompson was a very,very good keeper and also a very brave keeper who was was always diving at the feet of players.
Dad said Sam English was hounded out of football, he was constantly reminded of the accident

Last edited:
See if it was the other way about and it happened to one of our players, they would have songs about it, flags, supporters clubs named after the player, stands named after him the lot.

Pondlife scum.

That is such a tragic story. One life ended and another changed for ever. I would like to think our support would have reacted with empathy and respect had the tables been turned. Their level of hatred for us and anything related to us is off the scale and utterly reprehensible.

I used to work with a guy who played for one of the Bradford Clubs before the war (Park Avenue IIRC). He was a stone mason to trade and when war started it was a protected job. Instead of being called up he was posted to some munitions factory in Wales to maintain blast furnaces.

While he was there he played for some local Welsh outfit and it so happened Sam English also turned out for them. My mate said that English was loathe to talk about the incident but it was clear that it had had a profound effect on the guy.

Didn’t it turn out that Thomson had an unusually thin skull? In the modern game that might well get discovered and maybe it wouldn’t come to it that he’d be allowed to play and get a fatal injury.

Any normal persons reaction to an incident like that is ‘Ouch’ and what a tragic accident. Only pond life like Malley could cast any other view on it.

What more can you expect from a club who, by their actions condone paedophilia?

SUNDAY-WORLD-20-10-20-26-SAM-ENGLISH-BOOK-IMG-3255.jpg

Back