Totally weird things that have happened at the football

jefftracy

Anything that gives us a wee laugh in these strange times.

Here's mine.

From the early eighties and only a few hundred people at the most would have witnessed this but this is straight up.

Was outside Ibrox this day in the winter and it was frosty and Baltic and Ibrox had only had undersoil heating put in not long before.
Only a run of the mill league game and at that time crowds were only about 20 000 so me and my mates decided to go in early about 2.30 and get Bovril to warm us up. As we walked up the steps into the East Enclosure we could hear booing echoing around the ground from the few folk who must have been in early and we thought maybe there was a fight among punters or something but when we reached the top of the steps I asked someone what the score was and he said to look at the pitch. The undersoil heating hadn't worked properly and had left green and white stripes across the pitch so folk were booing the pitch.
A unique occurrence that could only happen at Ibrox.
Definitely a unident.

This wasn't during a game, but I always found Jim McLean decking Martin Guissler to be weird but also pretty humorous.

Pre season game v Wigan ( I think) 2 seasons ago and there was a loud mouth Wigan fan who was shouting abuse every time there was a lull in the atmosphere, he was a total bell-end but tbf he was loud as fûck so everybody could hear him shouting, anyway after one of his outburst during a lull, a bear with an equally loud voice shouted back " YER MAWS A COW".........the most childish of retorts but the whole of the Govan stand were pishing themselves......had to be there.

Last edited:
Went on the KP Loyal to Kirkaldy for a game v Raith Rovers, bus left early to get to Kirkaldy for opening time.

Get to a pub near the ground and barman tell us that game is in doubt, there was to be a pitch inspection at 12. A load of us decide to up to the ground and there is a gate open allowing us onto the terracing. As ref walks out for inspection we burst into song and he nearly shits himself.

Game gets called off.

We decide not to stay in Kirkaldy and head back to Glasgow. As we are heading back we passed scores of buses heading to the game. I don't think the other buses could work out what team our bus supported as we passed them giving the gestures usually reserved for the other mob.

Pre season game v Wigan ( I think) 2 seasons ago and there was a loud mouth Wigan fan who was shouting abuse every time there was a lull in the atmosphere, he was a total bell-end but tbf he was loud as fûck so everybody could hear him shouting, anyway after one of his outburst during a lull, a bear with an equally loud voice shouted back " YER MAWS A COW".........the most childish of retorts but the whole of the Govan stand were pishing themselves......had to be there.
Yes, I remember that. Was in the Govan rear close to their fans and there were some real nobs among them. I remember they started singing GSTQ thinking it would piss us off only for the Bears to take it over and then a rendition of Rule, Britannia.

Went on the KP Loyal to Kirkaldy for a game v Raith Rovers, bus left early to get to Kirkaldy for opening time.

Get to a pub near the ground and barman tell us that game is in doubt, there was to be a pitch inspection at 12. A load of us decide to up to the ground and there is a gate open allowing us onto the terracing. As ref walks out for inspection we burst into song and he nearly shits himself.

Game gets called off.

We decide not to stay in Kirkaldy and head back to Glasgow. As we are heading back we passed scores of buses heading to the game. I don't think the other buses could work out what team our bus supported as we passed them giving the gestures usually reserved for the other mob.
Was that a Scottish Cup game?
My Sunderland mates were friendly with East Fifes captain and he said if your game is off come to Bayview and he would fix is up with comps .they were playing Airdrie only stayed till half time and pissed of to the social club.

At half time I went down n got a burger, pie and juice. I came back and my seat was folded up so I just sat on the edge of it without pulling it down. I put the juice between my knees to hold it while I put sauce on my pie. As I was doing this my juice started slipping so I shut my knees tight to catch it and the cup burst all over the woman in front of me.

Game gets called off.

Behaviour not befitting Bears. I'm Surprised.

Klos flying in like he'd been shot out a cannon, last minute Ne'er day, Tannadice. Clearly his goal, but Namouchi gets credited. :p

Wee guy at Tannadice in the 80s singing ‘Oh Jim McLeans a baldy man’ on repeat for about 10 minutes.

John Brown throwing the physios bag off the pitch, it opens up and the contents end up all over the place.

Game gets called off.

When was this?

Game gets called off.

Third or fourth round of the cup if I remember correctly. We arrived at the ground too to find it postponed so went to Dunfermline Falkirk tie along the road. In the days when you didn't grudge other teams your money. Would turn around now and go home.

Was that a Scottish Cup game?
My Sunderland mates were friendly with East Fifes captain and he said if your game is off come to Bayview and he would fix is up with comps .they were playing Airdrie only stayed till half time and pissed of to the social club.

Think it was mate, poster above saying it too makes me more confident.

Back