Totally weird things that have happened at the football

Rangers vs Santos in New Jersey pre season 15-20 years ago.

Maybe 20 minutes or so before the kick off a young guy comes into seats behind me and I overhear him saying to his mates he punched some yahoo wearing green and grey who is getter a beer and he figures he’s broken his nose.
He’s got on a black shirt and his mate tells him to take it off and stick it under the seat. Very warm day and a lot of people are shirtless .
Five minutes later the cops are looking for someone in a black shirt. Some poor innocent about 10 rows down enjoying a cold beer is collared by the cops.He takes exception and shoves a cop out of the way and then gets a going over by the cops and is trailed out not having a clue WTF is going on.
Meanwhile the true culprit behind me is ignoring the whole carry on.

I think I saw a referee decision at Ibrox that didn't go against us. Now that is strange.
I was going to put similar myself.
That a match defining decision went against the scum but I can’t remember when it was, so I thought I’d be accused of lying or even being delusional.

Further to my previous post, there was definitely a time when septic accepted defeat gracefully, on the day.
That was only a year or two ago but, by the Monday, they were back to their blaming everybody for the loss.

walking down edmiston drive, would've been about 83/84, with my dad and brother. A tramp stops picks up a pile of horseshit and smells it, he puts it down, picks up a bigger handful and starts eating it

God you must be getting on a bit now mate!

walking down edmiston drive, would've been about 83/84, with my dad and brother. A tramp stops picks up a pile of horseshit and smells it, he puts it down, picks up a bigger handful and starts eating it
I actually saw this as well! I was at the game with my cousin and over the years have wondered if I had imagined it, so thanks for confirming!

Me and my mate two seasons ago had got chips from the van and were standing round next to the wee astro park eating them getting ready to go into the west enclosure. My mate doesn't finish all his chips and sticks them in a bin. About 30 seconds later a guy( must be homeless) walks up goes into the bin and takes the box back out and starts eating the rest of the chips! Doesn't even bat an eyelid! Me and my mate just looked at each other and burst out laughing.

Cheerleaders were one of the stranger half-time entertainment ideas.

Visiting relatives in Coventry years ago went with them to watch the Cov play Sheffield Wednesday. Just before kick off a dog runs on to the pitch, cue players and staff trying to catch it and fluffing it, crowd laughing their heads off at the antics. After a couple of minutes the dog runs up the stand, sits down next to me so I pat it on the head and hold it by the collar. Crowd go wild, I wave and take all the plaudits

One of the lads few year back desperately trying to jump on the police motorbikes on way up to piggery lol
Eventually managed to convince him he be lifted . Mad bugger

A few years ago a friend invited me to the Leeds vs Millwall game (I live locally). At half time, I look up from eating my roll and there’s a giant Cumbernauld Loyal flag being past along the opposite lower tier.

Waiting to go into enclosure with mate was thinking he's getting a bit carried away with himself ( his 1st o/F game ) only when I had a closer look his face was turning red and redder ... then I noticed wtf was going on .. police horse stood on his foot and burst his cheap 80s trainers.

Scotland game years ago at Hampden against Switzerland.

Scotland of course are getting beat and just about everyone has lost interest as the game wears on. Guy caught fingering his burd and the polis intervene - one of whom can't keep a straight face when they're getting huckled. Quite possibly the strangest arrest at the football.

While this is all going on their mate is next to them shouting abuse at the Swiss fans (at the complete opposite end if the stadium) culminating in a chant of "where were you in world war 2".

Incidentally, Philip Senderos played for the Swiss that night and had a great game - which is also a strange thing I suppose.

Last edited:
Saw an old man get hit in the face by a massive flying block of ice last season at Cowdenbeath away.

Possibly the most horrible but funniest thing I’ve ever seen, he kept stumbling as if he was going to fall on his arse but never quite did, he was taken away at halftime and he never came back for the second half.

I was the only one that saw it fly directly from the back of the terrace down to the very front (where the barrier thing is) and it was an absolutely perfect hit, as it was flying the old guy turned around at the last second to face the terrace and it cracked him right on the nose.

Definitely my most interesting football memory.
Funny but hopefully he was ok

My two daughters first game at Ibrox we drew 2-2 with dolly. Anway, I went for juice or whatever for the girls, and in the meantime the sheep scored.

I take my seat again and the wife is pishing herself, I ask what's funny and she tells me my youngest stood up and cheered when they had scored, she was only 7 at the time. Now you couldn't meet a bigger Bluenose haha
A learning curve ha ha

scotland playing Jamaica and the Jamaicans gate money was allegedlly to be paid to the Jamaican FA heads personal account

January 1987, we're at home to Accies in the Cup (yes that game!).
A few weeks before, I'd had a quite a vivid dream/nightmare that we'd lost 0-1 at home in our first game in the Cup.
I told the guys at work at the time and one asked me who we were playing. I wasn't sure but said I thought it might be Partick Thistle.
The day before the game, the Bears at work were joking (I hoped) about what they were gonna do to me if we lost. Someone said there was nothing to worry about as we were playing Accies, not Thistle.
So I'm at the game with two mates, up in the Main Stand, when just before kick-off, who come walking up the stairs but almost the entire Thistle squad. Their game at Motherwell had been called off and Derek Johnstone, who was their player-manager at the time, had brought them to Ibrox.
I said to my mates I was off to the bookies and they told me to sit down and don't be daft.
Got dog's abuse when I got back to work on the Monday.

Home game v Hibs mid 80’s and my wee mate was coming back to his seat with a bovril and stumbled and this big solitary drop scalding hot bovril came out the cup and went straight down the crack of the arse of the fat guy who was sitting in front of him who was leaning forward in his seat. What a fkn roar the big fella let out! So difficult to try an no pish yersel laughing but genuinely thought the big guy was gonay murder ma mate.

Anything that gives us a wee laugh in these strange times.

Here's mine.

From the early eighties and only a few hundred people at the most would have witnessed this but this is straight up.

Was outside Ibrox this day in the winter and it was frosty and Baltic and Ibrox had only had undersoil heating put in not long before.
Only a run of the mill league game and at that time crowds were only about 20 000 so me and my mates decided to go in early about 2.30 and get Bovril to warm us up. As we walked up the steps into the East Enclosure we could hear booing echoing around the ground from the few folk who must have been in early and we thought maybe there was a fight among punters or something but when we reached the top of the steps I asked someone what the score was and he said to look at the pitch. The undersoil heating hadn't worked properly and had left green and white stripes across the pitch so folk were booing the pitch.
A unique occurrence that could only happen at Ibrox.
Definitely a unident.

Brilliant story !!!

It didn't happen at football per se, but returning from my first OF match. I was sat at a window seat in a 52 seater, next thing a block of ice the about the size of my head crashed into the window. Lucky the window didnt smash, but jeez did I get a fright. Said ice was launched from a white van. Utterly strange at the time, but I imagine it was done so there would be no evidence if more damage had been done.

At Hampden years ago watching a queens park game. Nil nil. Till the last minute when the keeper lets in a daisy cutter. Only one lad in the old covered rangers end right up the back. Walks all the way down to the goal , shouts your nothing but shite keeper and then all the way back up. So few in , you could hear every individual chant.

That Elgin fan having a rave was weird

Fenerbachce fans given me the throat slit gesture for the full 90 minutes was quite weird and intense to be fair.

At a European game at Ibrox against a Norwegian side, with my brother, son and nephew. In the east enclosure right at the front / pitch side. The Norwegian subs are having a bit of a leg stretch and warm up and the pissed-up zumer next to me starts giving them abuse by shouting " Oi, Hagar the Horrible is a wanker" then backs that up with " Eric the Red was poof". I said "well that certainly told him, that will have put him right off his game." I could hardly concentrate on the rest of the game for laughing. When we won the guy turns to me and said "worked didn't it"

Back