Tough times for the board...

Earl of Leven

Official Ticketer
....albeit we fans should be on board (that's another thread for another day). They've really backed themselves into a corner eh?

I still have no idea why they chose Pedro, or gave him £7m net in summer but they did. Is there a Plan B? I suspect not.

Today was woeful...long ball, indiscipline, poor finishing, and a meek surrender at 1-0. But do board have the haw maws to act? Or the knowledge?

They're struggling imho to move beyond not being Green or Ashley as a selling point. They need bums on seats to do anything, but for that you need to win...Rangers fans don't do endless patience. Will fans simply drift away? What if we need to close gap with 30,000 per game instead of 50,000?

Have they thought about keeping us onside? They're as silent as our boards have always been: Pay up, shut up, sit down. Well they wanted the job...they need to have the ideas, and fund them.

next step is going to be fascinating...we need to start getting it right.

Hi Earl (Robbie1808 here)

I think he'll get the season, at least I hope he does, the possibility of Morelos, Alves, Cardoso etc downing tools if they don't fancy the new boss is pretty horrible. Let's be honest if he keeps us 3rd or even gets it together and gets 2nd then it's pretty much ok. Very difficult for a new guy to come in and have to work with a squad that have comms problems.
If Pedro lasts till January but doesn't spend then the writing's on the wall.

Yip, like I said on another thread, for the first time I now really have no idea what we do from here. Financially can we even remove the management? Can we actually even trust the same board to make another appointment? Is sacking Pedro even the right move at this time? I genuinely don't have a clue right now. Depressing.

I don't have much faith in any of them being able to pick a manager who can take us forward, after the shambles of Warburton and now Pedro, WTF next, but they had better get it right.

I don't know the reasons for JG leaving the board, but at least he was one of us and never missed a game

Time for King to take the bull by the horns and start taking control SR looks lost to me.

I think he'll get the season, at least I hope he does, the possibility of Morelos, Alves, Cardoso etc downing tools if they don't fancy the new boss is pretty horrible. Let's be honest if he keeps us 3rd or even gets it together and gets 2nd then it's pretty much ok. Very difficult for a new guy to come in and have to work with a squad that have comms problems.

Hello! Sadly he was left field appointment and it failed. He has no track record for a reason..and I cannot stand "Who else could we get?" as an excuse. We need to be educated and brave about who is out there...

I'm now of the opinion that Pedro is finished. We need to spend big on a big name manager rather than spend big on players. The right manager - a big name manager will make a difference.

Do you think it would be cheap ?

I honestly dont know. I dont think so but then for all I like Pedro I still dont understand how someone looked at his CV and thought "Let's get this guy in for an interview".We've all worked with someone who management have told us skooshed the interview...and then they're crap. But usually they at least have the qualifications to apply. I dont think Pedro does. So I have no clue about the money involved. The only reason I can think of him getting the job is he was cheap but he wasnt given we had to buy out his contract.

It's the exact reason I don't understand why football clubs don't insist and ensure that they get the appointment 1000% right. The manager is without doubt, the most important role at a club. Why people gamble with such an appointment is baffling. It genuinely pains me to highlight it, but look at what Rodgers has did with a very average group of players across the city. None of them are anything other than ordinary, Deila couldn't get them to kick their own arses, but he's marshalled them into a unit that's not lost a domestic game in 60 now. The appointment of a capable manager is absolutely vital, and everything else depends on it. At the moment, we simply don't have one.

Absolutely, they said they would lead us out the morose let them do it.

Unfortunately spunking £7m up a wall like Pedro doesn't help.

I do realise of course that £7m will buy you fxck all today and is chicken feed in the English 2nd tier.

Absolutely, they said they would lead us out the morose let them do it.

Unfortunately spunking £7m up a wall like Pedro doesn't help.

I do realise of course that £7m will buy you fxck all today and is chicken feed in the English 2nd tier.

......and remember over 10 years ago Advocatt spunked more than that on one player.

....albeit we fans should be on board (that's another thread for another day). They've really backed themselves into a corner eh?

I still have no idea why they chose Pedro, or gave him £7m net in summer but they did. Is there a Plan B? I suspect not.

Today was woeful...long ball, indiscipline, poor finishing, and a meek surrender at 1-0. But do board have the haw maws to act? Or the knowledge?

They're struggling imho to move beyond not being Green or Ashley as a selling point. They need bums on seats to do anything, but for that you need to win...Rangers fans don't do endless patience. Will fans simply drift away? What if we need to close gap with 30,000 per game instead of 50,000?

Have they thought about keeping us onside? They're as silent as our boards have always been: Pay up, shut up, sit down. Well they wanted the job...they need to have the ideas, and fund them.

next step is going to be fascinating...we need to start getting it right.

as a drunk Rangers fan I agree 100%

Fuckin embaressing performance today

So you think if we get 3rd place is fine... sorry.. but thats the defeatist attitude that the team has now

Genuine question, does anyone know how much it would cost (roughly) to let Pedro go?
Someone posted before that Pedro is on about £700k a year. For some reason the geniuses on the ‘recruitment panel’ (Robertson, G. Park, Dickson) thought giving Pedro a three year contract was a good idea despite what happened with the last manager who signed a contract for that length of time. Pedro’s backroom staff will also be on contracts until 2020 so it’d be expensive to sack them all. God knows what Johansson is on or what he actually does but that’s another member of staff brought in under Caixinha’s reign.

Would Allardyce be an option?

If hes interested I think we need to find the £££ to make it happen.

Hes not the long ball dinosaur that alot of people think.

Tommy Wright, Derek McInness etc arent going to make us Champions. We need someone with a proven calibre that knows British football.

Big Sam might be pie in the sky but if thar shower of shite can attract the tranny shagger then we need to be ambitious enough to go out and hire a ‘cert’, not another ‘risk/gamble’.

The next appointment is fucking crucial

Someone posted before that Pedro is on about £700k a year. For some reason the geniuses on the ‘recruitment panel’ (Robertson, G. Park, Dickson) thought giving Pedro a three year contract was a good idea despite what happened with the last manager who signed a contract for that length of time. Pedro’s backroom staff will also be on contracts until 2020 so it’d be expensive to sack them all. God knows what Johansson is on or what he actually does but that’s another member of staff brought in under Caixinha’s reign.

Ta, that's not a good thought at all. So basically if we pay him and his team off (plus his players may then down tools), there'll be little money for a new manager and players? Rock and a hard place. :(

It’s not really tough at all

Keep going & continue to be a side that wins 2, losses & draws etc

Or, bite the bullet & make change

There isn’t really middle ground & this will ultimately define them

They have been fantastic for us & I won’t criticise but I will criticise them if they don’t rectify this

Who should the new manager be mate ?

So you think if we get 3rd place is fine... sorry.. but thats the defeatist attitude that the team has now

What I'm getting at is the absolute bare minimum requirement is for European football.
With the number of Mexican/Portuguese players we have, replacing Pedro with ???? does not automatically mean we will get better. They might give up or quietly secure a future away from the club contingent upon them being injury free come the summer.
Right now our situation isn't all that bad, granted it's been a shit day, but we're not badly placed in the league and if we beat Killie we close the gap on at least 1 of the teams above us.
One of the things we lacked today was a cool head when things went against us on the park, we need to think through the consequences of actions off the park with greater clarity.

Would Allardyce be an option?

If hes interested I think we need to find the £££ to make it happen.

Hes not the long ball dinosaur that alot of people think.

Tommy Wright, Derek McInness etc arent going to make us Champions. We need someone with a proven calibre that knows British football.

Big Sam might be pie in the sky but if thar shower of shite can attract the tranny shagger then we need to be ambitious enough to go out and hire a ‘cert’, not another ‘risk/gamble’.

The next appointment is fucking crucial
Remind me again what trophies Allardyce has won? Saving Crystal Palace from relegation over 6 games and leading Rangers to trophies are not the same.

Catch 22. Can we afford to sack Pedro? Doing that and paying compensation for a new manager is a lot of money to lose.
Next stop January and see if the board back him. Probably not if we are out of contention. His most costly signings have been poor ie Pena and Herera.

The three year contract is genuinely the strangest thing about this whole business.

The fact he got an interview at all is pretty baffling tbh. Who looked at his CV and thought "We need to interview this guy, he's just what we need" and I say that as someone who likes PC.

So if he has a three year deal, does the board have a three year plan?

Do they have a plan, short or long term, and are they willing to share this with the fans?

There's a lot of angry fans blindly firing shots in any and every direction, mostly through frustration. Is the manager the problem? Is the board the problem? Are the players the problem?

...are the fans the problem? Are we expecting too much too soon? Are we prepared to spend even more money in pursuit of glory? How do we raise the cash?

Pedro was a gamble. When your gamble loses, you have to pay again to win again.

The Board chose those route and as such, is their cost to bear.

Just get it right next time. Instead of us throwing money at poor signings, add an extra million to the salary of the top job.

The fact he got an interview at all is pretty baffling tbh. Who looked at his CV and thought "We need to interview this guy, he's just what we need" and I say that as someone who likes PC.

That's true. But I almost got the magical allure of thinking you've found a secret gem hidden away in an obscure league. All 'non football' types have that fantasy. But then, surely, you sleep on it and pull yourself together the next day.

I don't get taking the gamble AND making it difficult to extract yourself from it if it goes wrong. You minimise the risk surely.

It must have been a helluva CV and interview.

Surely the astute businessmen that sit on our clubs board didn't give a nobody a 3 year contract without inserting some sort of release clause into it that allows us to get rid without paying the full contract!

Should be sackings at board level if they didn't.

So if he has a three year deal, does the board have a three year plan?

Do they have a plan, short or long term, and are they willing to share this with the fans?

There's a lot of angry fans blindly firing shots in any and every direction, mostly through frustration. Is the manager the problem? Is the board the problem? Are the players the problem?

...are the fans the problem? Are we expecting too much too soon? Are we prepared to spend even more money in pursuit of glory? How do we raise the cash?

Spot on

Ive been one of the biggest critics of Pedro since his appointment & the season is materialising as i expected. After deciding to give him money in the summer, it was only sensible to give him 10 games.

However his time is up & ill go as far as saying we will never win anything material with Pedro.

I really cannot think of a game where he set us up with a plan which has effectively exploited weaknesses in an opponent. Nor has he made many notable tactical changes mid game which have had a positive impact. More often than not he has been found wanting.

Our team set up is still wrong - not sure how much evidence is required to see our midfield set up is not right - 2 wingers doesn't work & actually exploits Dorrans weaknesses as he does not have the legs.

Identity of a replacement is a very difficult question. Of all the potential names (no idea how realistic they are), Allardyce is the one i would welcome most. The big question is whether he could succeed in a different environment under the expectation to win every game rather than avoid relegation. However all other candidates have bigger questions hanging over their heads. One would suspect it will not be long before we see who a replacement will be.

It's like manager groundhog day.

When Ally was obviously out his depth, the desperate reasoning to keep him was nobody on this messageboard had an acceptable alternative.
When Warburton was obviously out his depth, the desperate reasoning to keep him was nobody on this messageboard had an acceptable alternative.
Now Pedro is obviously out his depth, and guess what we're reading again...

Remind me again what trophies Allardyce has won? Saving Crystal Palace from relegation over 6 games and leading Rangers to trophies are not the same.

Remind me what trophies the tranny shagger had won?

It was a suggestion. I dont hear many other suggestions out with McInness.

Don't think your allowed to discuss our manager on this forum unless your full of praise for his failures!

Every thread gets chopped.

Back