Traditions vs Standards: Ibrox Dressing Room

CR5

This will probably quite a divisive subject but it's something that will need to happen sooner or later.

The current dressing room is iconic to us as Rangers supporters but when you compare it to other top clubs, it doesn't reflect very well on us and this sort of thing can genuinely become a factor in signing players, better facilities attract better players.

I'm not suggesting that we go mad and attempt to emulate what Man City have, I think it is important to keep as much tradition in tact as possible. That being said, I do think that some serious upgrades/modernisation is in order as our players shouldn't be sitting on wooden benches.

What is your stance on this? Do we start making upgrades now or do we stick with it until it's even more dated?

Radical suggestion - remove it and rebuild it, piece by piece in identical form in a museum. Build new dressing room in stadium which is reflective of latest standards/requirements.

Ultimately though, its up to the manager and coaching staff - if they feel the current set up holds us back they need to say so, if it doesn't then the room should stay as is.

I very much doubt a player has ever been put off by the appearance of our set up. It's unique and suggests we are a very unique club. Can't put a price on that.

This is one of the things that make us so special. Our dressing rooms are historic artifacts and join us to those who have gone before. Who would not want to sit where Alan Morton or Willie Henderson sat and if they don't,then they don't deserve to be at Ibrox. I am all for modernization but not at the expense of our traditions and our history. What next, remove the picture of Her Majesty from the wall to appease the shrilly vocal minorities?

Leave it alone - the training centre should be the bleeding edge of innovation and the other facilities inside Ibrox like war rooms and players restaurants etc by all means but the changing room is special and if players get put off by sharing the same peg hooks as Gazza, Greig and co. then maybe they're not for us.

This is one of the things that make us so special. Our dressing rooms are historic artifacts and join us to those who have gone before. Who would not want to sit where Alan Morton or Willie Henderson sat and if they don't,then they don't deserve to be at Ibrox. I am all for modernization but not at the expense of our traditions and our history. What next, remove the picture of Her Majesty from the wall to appease the shrilly vocal minorities?
I mean this as respectfully as possible, do we keep the picture forever, even when there is a new monarch?

The point behind that question is to highlight that it's going to have to change eventually, why not now?

I mean this as respectfully as possible, do we keep the picture forever, even when there is a new monarch?

The point behind that question is to highlight that it's going to have to change eventually, why not now?

I would imagine that whomever is our next Monarch will get his or her pic up there. Good King William would be my pick along with a topless Queen Kate.

This will probably quite a divisive subject but it's something that will need to happen sooner or later.

The current dressing room is iconic to us as Rangers supporters but when you compare it to other top clubs, it doesn't reflect very well on us and this sort of thing can genuinely become a factor in signing players, better facilities attract better players.

I'm not suggesting that we go mad and attempt to emulate what Man City have, I think it is important to keep as much tradition in tact as possible. That being said, I do think that some serious upgrades/modernisation is in order as our players shouldn't be sitting on wooden benches.

What is your stance on this? Do we start making upgrades now or do we stick with it until it's even more dated?

Our changing rooms are iconic and Gerrard and the players love them.

It's part of the Rangers tradition and you don't %^*& with that.

Don’t know why people are so sensitive about a changing room, if you want to attract the best players you need the best facilities. Club needs to move on with the times, doesn’t mean we’re selling our soul, still got one of the oldest main stands in the UK that surely fills the ‘historical value quota’. Surely an option that suits all parties would be preserving the present one for posterity/tours etc and building a new one if the space is there. Why not have a home changing room like Man City’s?

You honestly want to take down the picture of our reigning monarch from our dressing room wall?

Why not pish all over the marble staircase too while you're at it?

You honestly want to take down the picture of our reigning monarch from our dressing room wall?

Why not pish all over the marble staircase too while you're at it?
No, it's just one example.

I'd keep that, I wouldn't replace it when the time comes though

Radical suggestion - remove it and rebuild it, piece by piece in identical form in a museum. Build new dressing room in stadium which is reflective of latest standards/requirements.

Ultimately though, its up to the manager and coaching staff - if they feel the current set up holds us back they need to say so, if it doesn't then the room should stay as is.

I very much doubt a player has ever been put off by the appearance of our set up. It's unique and suggests we are a very unique club. Can't put a price on that.
I think this is a superb idea, I play for amateur team EKYM and our new changing rooms piss all over Ibrox. Time to modernise I feel, and with the opportunity to recreate it in the museum it’s a fantastic idea

I think this is a superb idea, I play for amateur team EKYM and our new changing rooms piss all over Ibrox. Time to modernise I feel, and with the opportunity to recreate it in the museum it’s a fantastic idea
I think that's the way to go too, if we can preserve it forever while having the best facilities available for our players then there is no reason not to.

If you've done the stadium tour and even more so the founding fathers trail. Youd realise just what makes us different to so many clubs.

The clubs will move with this times I'm sure. But you should not tamper with the things which are in place which keeps us traditional and old fashioned (if you like). However that is what keeps historical moments alive.

I understand if some areas needs upgraded for Health and safety though.

Someone needs to get to the top of that bill struth stand with a power hose today though :D

If you've done the stadium tour and even more so the founding fathers trail. Youd realise just what makes us different to so many clubs.

The clubs will move with this times I'm sure. But you should not tamper with the things which are in place which keeps us traditional and old fashioned (if you like). However that is what keeps historical moments alive.

I understand if some areas needs upgraded for Health and safety though.

Someone needs to get to the top of that bill struth stand with a power hose today though :D
It looks great in pictures but then you go in there and see a big empty room with a box tv from the 80's hanging off of the wall

Like everything, I feel it’s a balancing act & feel the club got it right with the re-branding this week.

You tweak things, as has been done in the passed. The benches, wood panelling, pegs and Her Majesty stay. You add in contemporary elements like power outlets at each spot so the players can charge their phone or whatever, smart TVs, touch screens for tactics boards and whatever the players and management need in terms of pre-match prep, tactics and shower facilities etc.

Ibrox & the dressing room are steeped in history, they should be selling points, not a hindrance to signing players.

There always has to be an evolution & we can not afford to leave things they way they are for the sake of tradition, but that doesn’t mean we abandon it all together. Our club was built on being forward thinking, modern and progressive, anything else is negligence to those who came before us and those who will come after us.

Granted I never aspired to a higher level than amateur football but benches were ideal for getting your boots on and tying your laces . I couldn't imagine doing it in a comfy armchair,what would you have to replace benches?

The changing room should stay as it is. We’re a football club, not a hotel. The players only use it to change from their suit into their kit and back again. The dressing room is not only a nod to our tradition but the tradition of the game itself. I’m sure everyone of them experienced bare bones facilities in their way up in the game. It is an area that keeps them grounded and reminds them they are all playing for a common cause.

Players are over pampered these days anyway without giving them an armchair at halftime. They have a perfectly decent lounge to relax in before and after the game. They can leave their fancy toys at home or in their locker. No need to mess with this particular tradition as it serves it’s purpose and reinforces the fact they are a team playing a very simple game.

Don’t know why people are so sensitive about a changing room, if you want to attract the best players you need the best facilities. Club needs to move on with the times, doesn’t mean we’re selling our soul, still got one of the oldest main stands in the UK that surely fills the ‘historical value quota’. Surely an option that suits all parties would be preserving the present one for posterity/tours etc and building a new one if the space is there. Why not have a home changing room like Man City’s?
Because we are Rangers and Manchester City don't have a history or heritage like ours worth preserving in their new athletics stadium.

I don't think we need these cushioned seats tbh. Makes no difference to the players.

I do like the idea above of giving each "station" a power socket and touchscreen tvs up for tactics etc.

they have changed - I remember the big communal bath. Tradition is fine, Rangers were about being the best all round - it is best to set the standard and let others follow.

Because we are Rangers and Manchester City don't have a history or heritage like ours worth preserving in their new athletics stadium.
So having a modern changing room wipes our history and heritage? Course it doesn’t. History is history, putting in a state of the art changing room wouldn’t change that, if management team believes it would give us an edge then its what should be done surely?

So having a modern changing room wipes our history and heritage? Course it doesn’t. History is history, putting in a state of the art changing room wouldn’t change that, if management team believes it would give us an edge then its what should be done surely?
Have the management team said that?

Do we know if the wood panelling and benches are 1909 originals? If they were added much later we shouldn’t be so desperate to retain the later additions.

also not sure what elements of the room will be covered by listed status

I think that's a fine idea.

I would imagine it would be hard to alter due to space for a kick off but historical Scotland would be lining up at the Erskine Bridge even at the suggestion of changing one of our national treasures

I couldn’t tell you, my point was why should ‘heritage’ hold us back from having a champions league calibre changing room -if- the players would benefit from it
Well your point is pointless. That's like me saying the management team think keeping it traditional will give us an advantage. I think they call that conjecture...

Have to say this is a bit of an exaggeration. You've got a cushion, a few fancy lights and a badge on the floor.

At the end of the day, a changing room is a changing room. For every player who will be amazed at a cushion, there will be a player who breathes in the history and likes it being traditional.

Look at Gerrard in the video when he signed at the end.

I've yet to hear to hear 1 player say they signed for a club because of the changing rooms. Heard quite a few mention the traditions and history of our main stand though opposition and incoming players.

Sorry to disagree but I find the players every interview banging on about history and tradition to be very contrived and not sounding the least bit genuine at times. It’s as if the board think as fans we need the comfort of being reminded of this. Most interviews on RTV start the same. I’d have more respect for someone saying they know nothing about the club but they are hoping to find out rather than something they have read on a bit of paper and encouraged to mention

I'm talking about the dressing room in general, that's just one example.

It is going to eventually be in a state of disrepair, I don't see the point in waiting for that to update it
I’d always have the portrait of Elizabeth II in the dressing room. Any future monarchs can have a portrait on the wall as you enter the main door but the one of HM stays where it is.

Back