Traditions vs Standards: Ibrox Dressing Room

Our changing rooms are iconic and Gerrard and the players love them.

It's part of the Rangers tradition and you don't %^*& with that.

Any actual evidence of this?

I'm 100% certain there are actual comments from Gerrard saying he'd like to see the changing rooms upgraded.

They might well "love them" in a comment in response to the rich history of the club etc but I believe he wants them modernised going by his comments previously (which caused a stir on here before)

It night be that the players lounge and other alterations he's been granted are a temporary / half way solution and that come the opening of the museum, we'll see the changing rooms upgraded and the idea of moving the existing one to the museum put in to practice.

Done the Ibrox tour couple of years ago and the changing room oozed tradition and history,leave it alone.

Proper football changing room. Players can hear the crowd outside before the game. Place oozes tradition, their playing for Rangers Football Club and all that means. Keep it as it is.

This will probably quite a divisive subject but it's something that will need to happen sooner or later.

The current dressing room is iconic to us as Rangers supporters but when you compare it to other top clubs, it doesn't reflect very well on us and this sort of thing can genuinely become a factor in signing players, better facilities attract better players.

I'm not suggesting that we go mad and attempt to emulate what Man City have, I think it is important to keep as much tradition in tact as possible. That being said, I do think that some serious upgrades/modernisation is in order as our players shouldn't be sitting on wooden benches.

What is your stance on this? Do we start making upgrades now or do we stick with it until it's even more dated?

Modern fascilities are for auchenhowie. The day to day. Match day is special. Most clubs would kill for a traditional wooden changing room steeped in history like hours, where the wood is still warm from the arses of de Boer, Gascoigne, Laudrup.

If they were using it all the time, I'd see your point, but auchenhowie and Ibrox can be polar opposites, both providing different factors as to why a player should want to sign on the dotted line!

Doesn't really hurt that much coming from someone who doesn't know the difference between you're and your
Lmao sorry my phone changes grammar wrongly sometimes and I don’t notice.

You’re defo one of they guys I’d absolutely hate sitting next to.

The monarch stays

Lmao sorry my phone changes grammar wrongly sometimes and I don’t notice.

You’re defo one of they guys I’d absolutely hate sitting next to.

The monarch stays
Why? Because I wouldn't put a picture of William in the dressing room?

Grow up mate, Rangers are a football club not a lightning rod for your ideologies and I say that as a unionist.

Guarantee you'd have been the type to act like Souness headbutted your nan after he signed MoJo

I took a Portuguese friend and his two boys on the tour last year. When we walked up the marble staircase his words were "This looks like a castle". He also asked specifically if the changing rooms were the ones the players used, he was very surprised (in a good way) when I told him they were the actual changing rooms.
I also took an English friend on the tour, and he asked exactly the same. In fact, he took a bit of persuading. I felt an odd pride.

See tbh the thought of having a picture of Charles when he becomes king in our changing room is a bit cringe worthy tbh.

Can see why QE2 as it's tradition, longest serving monarch etc.

But Charles talks to plants, has no links to us and is prone to talking rubbish. End it when the Queen dies.

Don’t see a time when we are ever going to need to build a new and better stadium tbh. Modernizations here and there yes, but Ibrox is absolutely iconic and very much doubt we’ll ever need to move.
I am talking 30 to 40 years in the future. The stadium was only designed to last so long. Would love to see the facade on the Main Stand incorporated into a new design though

I was up at Ibrox this morning the dressing room windows were open and you could see the false ceiling has been removed and they painted round the queen's portrait the last time it was painted as it has been taken down and there is a blue square where it was

I’d like to see the changing rooms modernised.

We already have the traditional and original architecture throughout the main stand.

It’s a changing room ffs and a lot of people need to remember that. It’s hardly this architectural wonder.

It would only be the changing rooms getting upgraded. The proper architecture when you enter the front door will remain forever.

I’ve been in the dressing room several times on the tour and I have to say I’m hardly blown away when I enter it.

Is the benches are to be replaced I sincerely hope they are not sitting in a skip outside. The shower facilities are in a separate room and have been modernised over they years I’m all for that area being the best it can be but the wooden panels & coat pegs have to stay theres to much history for that to be taken away

I am talking 30 to 40 years in the future. The stadium was only designed to last so long. Would love to see the facade on the Main Stand incorporated into a new design though

Was thinking this the other day. The brickwork in the other 3 stands could be modernised. Wouldn’t need to be a demolish & rebuild, new brickwork could be built and tied in with better furnishings added to the doors into the offices etc

I’d like to see the changing rooms modernised.

We already have the traditional and original architecture throughout the main stand.

It’s a changing room ffs and a lot of people need to remember that. It’s hardly this architectural wonder.

It would only be the changing rooms getting upgraded. The proper architecture when you enter the front door will remain forever.

I’ve been in the dressing room several times on the tour and I have to say I’m hardly blown away when I enter it.

This. I also keep saying people say it's a listed building as if that means you can't touch it at all.

Is it not just the fascia which is listed too or have the internal areas been upgraded in status ar some point?

Clearly with the Club Deck works, changes can be made to it and significant ones at that.

I mean this as respectfully as possible, do we keep the picture forever, even when there a new monarch?

The point behind that question is to highlight that it's going to have to change eventually, why not now?
No, we replace it with the new monarch.

This. I also keep saying people say it's a listed building as if that means you can't touch it at all.

Is it not just the fascia which is listed too or have the internal areas been upgraded in status ar some point?

Clearly with the Club Deck works, changes can be made to it and significant ones at that.
Well we put in a players lounge and dining area last season.

Club deck as well as you say.

So I think people are talking mince.

I think this is a superb idea, I play for amateur team EKYM and our new changing rooms piss all over Ibrox. Time to modernise I feel, and with the opportunity to recreate it in the museum it’s a fantastic idea
Aye so they dae.
pile of shoite yer comment btw.

@CR5 what would u change? If anything.

For me personally ibroxfalls into that very select category where within the main stand especially it’s modern enough but has extensively retained its ‘aura’ of being historical. It’s feeling of being museum-esque.

For me far far FAAAAAAAR too many stadiums nowadays are just far too samey samey carbon cut and paste copies.

Call me old fashioned but football wise I shed a tear for the demise of grounds like Highbury, old Wembley and soon to be San Siro.

Not everything needs be gargantuan metallic constructs.

This will probably quite a divisive subject but it's something that will need to happen sooner or later.

The current dressing room is iconic to us as Rangers supporters but when you compare it to other top clubs, it doesn't reflect very well on us and this sort of thing can genuinely become a factor in signing players, better facilities attract better players.

I'm not suggesting that we go mad and attempt to emulate what Man City have, I think it is important to keep as much tradition in tact as possible. That being said, I do think that some serious upgrades/modernisation is in order as our players shouldn't be sitting on wooden benches.

What is your stance on this? Do we start making upgrades now or do we stick with it until it's even more dated?

Do you want them sitting on three piece suites

Last edited:
Back