Traditions vs Standards: Ibrox Dressing Room

We should be constantly modernising the club in every area.

The dressing room isn’t up to scratch. I’ve seen better facilities in my local sports centre.

Anyone got any recent pictures of the changing room? Last one I seen is when they added the whiteboard during Warburton's time but I heard that was taken down.

Little things like the coat hangers being higher than the away dressing room or isit the other way round.. theres people on this thread who think modernizing the chsnging room will attract better players.... no wining trophies n being in the champions league will do that.
Stop with the nonsense please..
I sincerely hope our board arnt thinking of redesigning the dressing room all in the name of modernisation..

Just leave it as is.

Im good with the training area being modern, but a match day dressing room; it is a peg and a bench with a wee white board.

tumblr_nltsyxqCh81qbrih3o1_1280.jpg

Manchester-Citys-new-dressing-room.jpg

Don’t really see the attraction for a modern dressing room

The dressing room and shower areas need to be brought into the 21st century, badly. Tradition is nice but we need the best facilities to attract the best players. The current dressing room should be in the museum.

tumblr_nltsyxqCh81qbrih3o1_1280.jpg

Manchester-Citys-new-dressing-room.jpg

Don’t really see the attraction for a modern dressing room
Even using the photo of our dressing room here as an example, it’s made changes over the years as the white feeling and fluorescent lighting wouldn’t be original. Things adapt. Rangers have always innovated.

That dressing room should be recreated in the museum as it would have been back in the days of Struth with the old treatment bench in the middle.

the dressing room should then be modernised but using the same types of timber to create a more modern look with a traditional feel with individual player stations with storage for their stuff.

Ibrox itself should never feel like a museum. Our main stand is iconic but made even better with the third tier and the glass clad stairwells, a great example how things can be modernised but keeping with tradition.

I think what will end up happening in time anyway is the Govan Stand side will become more modernised and the stands in the Govan and Copland Road will be first time be modernised Vladimir in glass and lights as I feel walk Up from Copland road into the stadium towards where the shop is now will become almost as iconic a view of Ibrox as looking into the main facade of the main stand. Once Edmiston house is pulled down and replaced and the changes made there that will become quite a focal point of the stadium more so as it is now.

Even using the photo of our dressing room here as an example, it’s made changes over the years as the white feeling and fluorescent lighting wouldn’t be original. Things adapt. Rangers have always innovated.

That dressing room should be recreated in the museum as it would have been back in the days of Struth with the old treatment bench in the middle.

the dressing room should then be modernised but using the same types of timber to create a more modern look with a traditional feel with individual player stations with storage for their stuff.

Ibrox itself should never feel like a museum. Our main stand is iconic but made even better with the third tier and the glass clad stairwells, a great example how things can be modernised but keeping with tradition.

I think what will end up happening in time anyway is the Govan Stand side will become more modernised and the stands in the Govan and Copland Road will be first time be modernised Vladimir in glass and lights as I feel walk Up from Copland road into the stadium towards where the shop is now will become almost as iconic a view of Ibrox as looking into the main facade of the main stand. Once Edmiston house is pulled down and replaced and the changes made there that will become quite a focal point of the stadium more so as it is now.
Well said Andy, if it’s put in the museum it surely won’t make a difference as it’s still there and people can still see it whilst we have a modern dressing room.

The only reason to change the dressing room would be if it gave the players an advantage on the pitch and helped them recover better afterwards. I'm all for tradition but I also don't want to live in the past.

The dressing room and shower areas need to be brought into the 21st century, badly. Tradition is nice but we need the best facilities to attract the best players. The current dressing room should be in the museum.
Aye like a dressing room will atract the
Best players,, 3 things will.. money..champions league,winning trophies

Because we are Rangers and Manchester City don't have a history or heritage like ours worth preserving in their new athletics stadium.

That’s spot on, OP.

Tom Vallance, Rangers first captain, played for Rangers in the earliest days on Flesher’s Haugh. He was a guest of the club for the opening of the new Main Stand on 1 Jan 1929, when Rangers beat Celtic 3-0 in front of a 60,000 crowd.

After the match, Mr Vallance shook the hand of Bob McPhail - one of the victorious Rangers players that day.

On the 13th Jan 1996, Ally McCoist’s goal in the 4-0 win against Raith Rovers broke Bob McPhail’s record of 230 league goals for Rangers, which had stood for over 50 years. Mr McPhail, a guest of the club for that match, shook McCoist’s hand after the game, to congratulate him on his achievement.

So, three men and two handshakes provide a physical link from the club’s earliest days in 1872, to the present day, 148 years later.

How many clubs have that kind of history?

EDIT: A certain eagle-eyed poster who shall remain nameless (but, for the sake of argument, let's call him NorthSideBlue) noticed I got the year of Bob McPhail's and Ally McCoist' encounter wrong!

Last edited:

The ceiling could get redone. Looks like inside of an 80s office. Treat the wood like the other parts of entrance have been.

Without ripping everything out and dramatically changing the look

It needs modernised IMO

But I think the current room setup should be rebuilt in our museum.

I just think with modern football, it needs a bit of work done.

Radical suggestion - remove it and rebuild it, piece by piece in identical form in a museum. Build new dressing room in stadium which is reflective of latest standards/requirements.
Always thought this. Now realistic view the museum being built.

Anyone who has done the tour or has played at Ibrox will know how iconic the changing rooms are. I am all for modernisation, but the dressing rooms should be left as they are (minus a few tweeks). It is part of our history and tradition. If our players are not motivated by using the same space as legends such as Greig, Cooper, Baxter, McCoist. Gough etc then I suggest they find employment elsewehere.

This will probably quite a divisive subject but it's something that will need to happen sooner or later.

The current dressing room is iconic to us as Rangers supporters but when you compare it to other top clubs, it doesn't reflect very well on us and this sort of thing can genuinely become a factor in signing players, better facilities attract better players.

I'm not suggesting that we go mad and attempt to emulate what Man City have, I think it is important to keep as much tradition in tact as possible. That being said, I do think that some serious upgrades/modernisation is in order as our players shouldn't be sitting on wooden benches.

What is your stance on this? Do we start making upgrades now or do we stick with it until it's even more dated?

I kind of agree with you here but don't we have all the moderns stuff at Auchenhowie where the players spend the majority of time? I don't see anything wrong with keeping things as they are. Auchenhowie = Modern
Ibrox = Traditional
So mote it be.

Everything has to get modernised at some point, it is just about doing it with respect and not completely forgetting the past. I don't think a spaceship feel that teams like city has would suit Ibrox, but it doesnt mean we shouldnt look to improve.

If anyone has done a stadium tour of Bayern, it is classy but modern everything designed to give the home team an additional edge, it isnt just a d=changing room, there are hi tech screens for last minute analysis, warm up areas designed for ball mastery. We need to have similar, we cant just say we have to much history so things cant change.

That’s spot on, OP.

Tom Vallance, Rangers first captain, played for Rangers in the earliest days on Flesher’s Haugh. He was a guest of the club for the opening of the new Main Stand on 1 Jan 1929, when Rangers beat Celtic 3-0 in front of a 60,000 crowd.

After the match, Mr Vallance shook the hand of Bob McPhail - one of the victorious Rangers players that day.

On the 13th Jan 2016, Ally McCoist’s goal in the 4-0 win against Raith Rovers broke Bob McPhail’s record of 230 league goals for Rangers, which had stood for over 50 years. Mr McPhail, a guest of the club for that match, shook McCoist’s hand after the game, to congratulate him on his achievement.

So, three men and two handshakes provide a physical link from the club’s earliest days in 1872, to the present day, 148 years later.

How many clubs have that kind of history?

I like your post mate but no way did ally mCcoist score for us against raith rovers in 2016 , he was about 52 .

Radical suggestion - remove it and rebuild it, piece by piece in identical form in a museum. Build new dressing room in stadium which is reflective of latest standards/requirements.

Ultimately though, its up to the manager and coaching staff - if they feel the current set up holds us back they need to say so, if it doesn't then the room should stay as is.

I very much doubt a player has ever been put off by the appearance of our set up. It's unique and suggests we are a very unique club. Can't put a price on that.

I've said that very same thing on previous threads.

With Edmiston House being redone, I think now might be the perfect time. Remove the entire dressing room carefully and rebuild it in the new museum.

I think we now require modernisation of it in the stadium to make the best environment for our players.

We really need to stop sometimes and consider if change is actually going to make things better or are we simply modernizing for the sake of it. The reason that dressing room is still there is because of was built with high quality materials by skilled craftsmen. I sincerely doubt you would be able to say the same about a refit, would likely only have a lifespan of 5-10 years.

There is history and tradition in that changing room and that must never be altered. Even if it seems basic to some, it serves a basic function. It also reminds players they are playing a very straightforward game and that they are following in the footsteps of generations of talented players. A link in the chain of Rangers history, if you like. Its not like we're asking them to take a cold shower or piss in the same toilet at half time. By all means give them a state of the art training facility and a comfortable lounge to relax in after the game, but leave the dressing room as it is to focus their minds on the task ahead, and to remind them why there in the first place
Great post!

"Modernised" is fine. Small touches without ripping out the very soul of the place.

I think its great how you can watch one of the 9 in a row season reviews then look at the dressing room now and they are still more or less the same. Gives me goosebumps. And when clubs are selling their stadiums for ten a penny template rubbish and getting some restaurant chain to sponsor it, it's what really sets us apart from the rest.

Parts of the stadium are always going to need updating, the old tunnel area has been through improvements in the 90's and looks fantastic, etc.

That being said, that corner TV stand thing has to go! Take the telly away as well as the tactics board and install a large touchpoint TV where the board was to go through tactics. That's all I'd change! And maybe get a bigger mirror....

Don’t see what benefit you have from having a modern changing room. Maybe I’m not thinking right but surely all the players need is a bench , a peg, a drinks fridge and access to a warm shower. The rest is just unnecessary

It's not unnecessary.

The tactics have moved on from.Jock Wallace bawling "get in tae them lads"

Evem some Championship clubs in England have individual player stations whereby intricate details of the player they are playing against are shown on tablets to them pre match. Its the sort of fine details than can win a game in the modern age

So much has moved on since our changing rooms were best in class in the early 20th century.

They do require modernising. It can be he done tastefully too.

Last edited:
It's no surprise the only person to like his post is one that pals about with the Green Brigade.
Yes the only possible way you could not want the picture replaced is if you're an SNP voting Celtic fan.

You're a grown man, give it a rest. People assuming everything about someone just because they wouldn't put a picture back up is pathetic.

we should modernize if it can be done without losing the aesthetics don't know if it's do-able, Also how well will these modern changing rooms age? would it look good in 10-20 years time, our changing room is probably unique in this day and age, where as the modern ones are 10 a dozen

Better than Real Madrid. These photos were from the day it was announced Ronaldo was going to Juve. Small, Mis-shaped, almost like a corridor. Their stadium tour and museum was fantastic though.
Madrid are completely redeveloping the stadium now. Their new changing rooms will be best in class as Bisgrove would say.

This will probably quite a divisive subject but it's something that will need to happen sooner or later.

The current dressing room is iconic to us as Rangers supporters but when you compare it to other top clubs, it doesn't reflect very well on us and this sort of thing can genuinely become a factor in signing players, better facilities attract better players.

I'm not suggesting that we go mad and attempt to emulate what Man City have, I think it is important to keep as much tradition in tact as possible. That being said, I do think that some serious upgrades/modernisation is in order as our players shouldn't be sitting on wooden benches.

What is your stance on this? Do we start making upgrades now or do we stick with it until it's even more dated?

I agree, we need to move with times. Ibrox will become not fit for purpose sometime in the future and it will be sad but we will build a new and better stadium and keep on moving forward. As long as we keep what we can and honour it in a museum I will be happy.

I agree, we need to move with times. Ibrox will become not fit for purpose sometime in the future and it will be sad but we will build a new and better stadium and keep on moving forward. As long as we keep what we can and honour it in a museum I will be happy.

Don’t see a time when we are ever going to need to build a new and better stadium tbh. Modernizations here and there yes, but Ibrox is absolutely iconic and very much doubt we’ll ever need to move.

Back