Training Suggestion

Tbh, I get where the OP is coming from. The team is crying out for a midfielder who can shoot (and score) from the the edge of the box. Many times today the ball was tee’d up for a shot on the edge of the box, but it passed to the side again and again. Successful Rangers teams have always had this sort of player. I hope that possibly given the chance, that Bacuna can bring this threat.

I think it's a menatlity thing with some of our players.

Not sure how you coach that out of them.

Kamara, for instance, real good player but couldn't shoot fish in a barrel.

I'm not sure if you can change that in him at this stage of his career.

OP does have a point mind you.

The only way to get better at anything is by putting in the practice.

I think it's a menatlity thing with some of our players.

Not sure how you coach that out of them.

Kamara, for instance, real good player but couldn't shoot fish in a barrel.

I'm not sure if you can change that in him at this stage of his career.
I disagree to be honest.

Shouldn't be an unattainable goal to improve the ball striking technique of such a good player.

I disagree to be honest.

Shouldn't be an unattainable goal to improve the ball striking technique of such a good player.
Fair enough, your prerogative.

I think if you are looking for dangerous players from outside the box you have to buy ready-made, ,although, I accept there is no harm in trying to make improvement.

Pulling the trigger at the right time seems to be an instinct, found in some, but not in others.

Fair enough, your prerogative.

I think if you are looking for dangerous players from outside the box you have to buy ready-made, ,although, I accept there is no harm in trying to make improvement.

Pulling the trigger at the right time seems to be an instinct, found in some, but not in others.
I can see where you're coming from in that if Kamara doesn't believe he can score goals, he very likely won't ever add that to his game.

The one I'm thinking of in today's game though was just a wild miskick at a very decent chance.

I can see where you're coming from in that if Kamara doesn't believe he can score goals, he very likely won't ever add that to his game.

The one I'm thinking of in today's game though was just a wild miskick at a very decent chance.
I agree, a player of his calibre should be doing better than that.

Only thing that frustrates about his game.

It would be good if they incorporated some for of shooting. Maybe start with a barn door from the inside and work their way through the side of a barn, then an elephants ars3 with a banjo before finally shooting at a set of goals.

Is this not JDF's department? SG was also good at kicking a ball in the goal from outside the box. They need some serious fuckin practice.

Easier said than done of course and it is a bit of a conundrum. Davis has never been known as a player with great shooting ability so I'd leave him out of shooting drills but even at that he can pass a ball further 20 yards accurately, as can the others, so he and the other midfielders just need to pick a spot and pass it into the net. There is no need to smash/rake at it every time. Just pass it into the net. If its a good strong pass, at your spot, anywhere from 20 yards around the box its beating the keeper and going in 8 out of 10 times.

Only make a pass if it is necessary to get you out of trouble or is increasing the opportunities for a goal. Aimless sideways and backwards passing not allowed.

Back in the day, all of the teams in Scotland would pull this defend all day shite and then Laudrup/Gascoigne/Hammer would get frustrated and smash one in from distance.

Then when Walter came back, Pedro Mendes always offered a massive threat from distance and when he left, Whittaker and then Jelavic hit them from distance on a regular basis.

Under Gerrard, opposition teams have no fear of us hitting one from distance. They sit deeper and pack the bodies to stop us playing through them and simply allow us the space to cross from deep. They don't step up and leave space centrally when someone has the ball 20-25 yards out in the middle of the pitch because they know there is no need to, nobody is going to hit one from distance.

We always need that long-range threat on the pitch, because even if we don't plan on using it the opposition are in two minds whenever that person gets the ball. They don't know whether to drop off and allow them the space to get the shot off or step forward and finally leave a bit of space for us to work into.

Back