Transition from SG to Gio

Tonight I consider to be our best performance under Gio (not result but performance). Yes we had a wee wobbly ten minute spell but before tonight I felt we were just a bit more basic-not as much possession-tonight I felt we looked like more like last season-in control and solid.
That second goal was superb,the one touch pass and move is a joy to watch and I'm convinced there's more of that to come,also keeping clean sheets again. You just can't wait for the next game whereas with SG latterly we were wondering what Rangers we were going to get. What a turnaround another masterstroke by the the hierarchy.

Ideally this is what we want to happen from now on, managers leave us whilst successful and in a good place and the next one to come in and not need to rip everything up and start again.

I worried that Gerrard leaving would have left a few players on a downer, but getting someone of Gio's stature has had the opposite effect, all our big players from last season have hit form they simply weren't close to earlier in the season.

I am not sure if Gerrard expected to be away before the start of the season but it's starting to look more and more like that could have been the case as we were woefully underprepared for the start of the season and collectively the whole team were miles off the pace when we should have been walking tall.

With Gio coming in it seems the players are thriving again and enjoying football.

Has been seamless.

It was quite concerning that we had to have an entire new management team come in and negotiate a very tough run of fixtures.

Hugely relieved at how it’s gone - absolutely did not anticipate getting the results we have.
I think if Gerrard was still here we would have struggled last night with all the bodies behind the ball, it was always the same way to play and other teams sussed him out, with Gio he is always looking for an edge if something not working he will make a couple of tweaks, not afraid to make a substitution if needed but am delighted with the football being played, and the big thing is this is the team that broke records last season and won 55 so obviously gerrard was not getting the best from them, I do not know if it was the training or things not right in the background maybe they were being tapped will never know but I for one am glad they are away, and that is not a slant at Gerrard because I am grateful for what he did for us and winning 55, but the progression is amazing now and not even got to a transfer window yet looking forward to that. to finish off I am also grateful for our men at top in going all out for Gio and getting our man in along with his backroom team, and with Zeb Jacobs still to come, do I look happy (I sure do)

It’s looking like Gerrard himself had checked out, and it had impacted our players’ performance for sure.

Change rescued us before it got too bad in he league. If only it happened a couple of weeks earlier, we’d have a cup final at the weekend.
I tend to agree that something had happened and/or was happening behind the scenes and had transmitted down to the players.

I still don't accept it was all down to a shocking second half against Malmo at Ibrox but I doubt we'll ever find out. I also reckon, given the stakes for winning the league this season, we deserve better than forever being left in the dark approaching halfway through the season, but there you go, that's just me.

However, the change has rescued and re-energised the players and support all over again. For that I'm thankful.

But let's be in no doubt. The good ship GIO will hit the rocks at some point, at this moment it would appear we are now back in a more robust shape.

Every manager has a lifespan at a club especially in these current times. I believe Gerrard had taken us as far as he could whether that was down to club finances or that he had been here for 3 years and won what he was brought in to do. Changing managers in the middle of the season always brings its problems however I firmly believe that Gio’s arrival is like a hand fitting a glove. He knew he was stepping into a squad of players with ability who had just won the league. His experience and knowledge of the game has made his arrival seemless in fact he in now getting the best out of this current crop again. We look stronger than we ever have been and it will take a really good team to beat us.

I find these types of posts just daft. What does that even mean? SG has hardly went to Aston Villa and looked lost has he?
We will never know what would have happened if SG had stayed on...we should be happy with our new manager without having to say oh aye he's a massive upgrade.

If he loses a game or two he will get the same treatment SG got....why does a section of our support live on short term views and hype that disappears first bad result?
I think the point is gvb is a massive upgrade on the Gerrard of this season. Not in general. We will never know but something was wrong. He’s doing well and good luck to him, still glad he’s gone

It is a short term view 100% in terms of you suggesting SG is behind Gio as a coach due to Gio being exposed to better coaches over his career.

You are not comparing apples with apples on any level-SG inherited a disaster of a team and cut the biggest gap in OF history and left a pretty decent squad built in relatively modest terms against Celtic's budget.
Gio's had 6/7 games under his belt at Rangers.

There's no need for the comparison and there is next to zero data to compare them at Rangers.
There is data....sort of.
What we the fans are watching.
Im now walking away from games thinking that was a good performance. That was entertaining. That was a game worth paying money to go and watch. I'm feeling fulfilled and very much looking forward to the next game. I'm sure hundreds and thousands of fans are feeling the same way.

Under Gerard, especially this season, I was walking away from the game more often than not saying that was boring, a pretty dull and dire watch that certainly wasn't worth the money I was paying.

Gio looks to have revitalised both the team and indeed the fans.

Survey those who are watching and the survey results will be clear to see.
Yes you don't have long term comparisons yet, but measure the spirit of the fans....it's went up a notch or two if you ask me.

Remember when mad names like Derek McInnes were getting thrown about. Just how glad are you now that the class and professionalism of GVB is leading the club. SG was the right man at the right time but GVB is the best fit for a Rangers manager since Walter.

I really don’t want to rubbish Gerrard as he delivered on most counts, mainly the 55, but Gio is like night and day.
A proper tactical man who coaches from the training ground to the touch line. The reaction to him is obvious.
No disrespect to Gerrard but we have won a watch.

It’s always good to say in hindsight, but think if Gerrard had left in the summer and Gio came in we could have qualified for the CL, be further in front in the league and looking forward to a cup final this weekend.

At the start of the season I was more than happy Gerrard was staying on and I just put it down to us being a bit rusty and we would get up to speed and start playing like we did last season. But when it got to October and we were still saying it you knew there was more to it than that.

I always thought we would win the league this season but with Gio coming in and playing like we are I’m even more confident

We’re playing with a bit more freedom and I think our players are appreciating just being allowed to express themselves and get the job done. We’re getting increasingly more direct each game and less tedious to watch which is a huge bonus for me personally as it bothered me throughout Gerrards time here.
Maybe some are, GVB has kept Barisic and Tav from bombing forward all the time.

IMO, we have a better defensive shape because of that

Back