Tremendous Result but there’s an elephant in the room

WATP

So what a crowd and what an apt result for a tribute to Fernando!

Barisic was immense tonight, he didn’t pull out the challenge which led to our goal.....I hope his goal and now this type of performance is seeing him grow into that shirt!

Helander.....Yes please.....what a game he had!

Jack coming back from his knee complaint straight into the heat of that battle alongside Davis.....solid as hell!!!

McGregor.....an absolute brick wall!!

Now the elephants....

Goldson should never have been chosen over Katic.....I’ve said it before and the poll on FF has demonstrated it too.....Katic is by far the better of those two & Gerrard needs to rest Goldson for a bit and try and different combination with Helander.

Tavernier he can’t be on the pens now...2 already missed this season and at this level misses like that could be costly....he’s a lucky lad tonight that we got away with that miss.

Ojo....what a strike....the lad could not have hit that any cleaner.....however the rest of the game he was way below par....both with his final ball and his defensive tracking back....he looked so lackadaisical at times it was sorely frustrating!!!

Overall as a team we need to be far more clinical with the chances we create, at this level and to be league champions we need to be ruthless middle to front and thus far we haven’t seen that streak to our game!

3 points to start though but a missed opportunity to bag some goals to help put us in top spot!

Great result in the end and nice tribute from Ojo to dedicate his goal to Fernando and his family.

I reckon the elephant in the room has got to be - will FARE report us again? I’m not saying they should as I personally never heard anything wrong but it would hardly be surprising if they tried to punish us for BMG or coming down the road(I know they shouldn’t be allowed to but we know how they operate)

Barisic was immense tonight, he didn’t pull out the challenge which led to our goal.....I hope his goal and now this type of performance is seeing him grow into that shirt!

Jack coming back from his knee complaint straight into the heat of that battle alongside Davis.....solid as hell!!!

Now the elephants....

Goldson should never have been chosen over Katic.....I’ve said it before and the poll on FF has demonstrated it too.....Katic is by far the better of those two & Gerrard needs to rest Goldson for a bit and try and different combination with Helander.

Tavernier he can’t be on the pens now...2 already missed this season and at this level misses like that could be costly....he’s a lucky lad tonight that we got away with that miss.

Ojo....what a strike....the lad could not have hit that any cleaner.....however the rest of the game he was way below par....both with his final ball and his defensive tracking back....he looked so lackadaisical at times it was sorely frustrating!!!

Overall as a team we need to be far more clinical with the chances we create, at this level and to be league champions we need to be ruthless middle to front and thus far we haven’t seen that streak to our game!

3 points to start though but a missed opportunity to bag some goals to help put us in top spot!

Great result in the end and nice tribute from Ojo to dedicate his goal to Fernando and his family.

I love Katic attitude but he is still raw - this was a match for more experienced defenders. The fact we kept a clean sheet says Stevie G got it right.

Tav came back from his miss well and the rest of the team lifted him.

We had no failures tonight. We could have won by more but I'd have bitten your hand off for a 1-0 win before the match.

I guess some folks are just "glass half empty". I'm still just enjoying the win :)

The only point I agree with is that Tav was way out of sorts tonight - don’t know if it was the occasion (he was wearing no.2 jersey let’s not forget) or just a bad game. The criticism of Ojo and Goldson is just nonsense, they were solid 7/10 performers with Shey a match winner. Please let’s start getting behind this lad.

Now the elephants....

"Hey we won but look at me" pish.

Superb all round from Rangers.

If all Ojo done was score a WINNER against strong opposition then so be it. I'd rather a winning goal than a 'flattering to deceive' performance that we often get from wingers. Goldson has proven to be an all round better centre back than Katic; even though Katic is stronger in the air and can be stronger in the tackle.

Just enjoy the win the mate.

I hope we stick with Goldson and Helander v St. Johnstone.

Tav will score his next penalty.

Ojo was poor, bar the goal. But his stats are impressive. Once we have Kent and JJ back - we are good out wide.
That’s the thing here.
The double standards of the op are so blatant.
A poll tonight on the effectiveness of Ojo, other than the goal would probably suggest a poor game.
However, the op thinks he’s right in saying to get off the players back.*
*I agree with that point wholeheartedly, for what it’s worth.
Then it seems that we’re being asked to accept that another poll which suggests Katic better than Goldson is, in essence, correct and factual!
Couldn’t make it up.

Although Tav missed the penalty,this was about more than just a spot kick for us.Was gutted for him,the pressure of being Captain and Number 2 took its toll.

Tav on pens for me

If the OP had just left it after his first five paragraphs he'd have my 100% agreement.
Tonight's not the night for nitpicking away through any perceived weaknesses or failures...it's a night to CELEBRATE!
People are allowed to do both. The gaffer will have his criticisms despite a fantastic result so why can’t we? Expecting people not to want improvement in certain areas just because we won is a tin pot mentality.

What was it Goldson did wrong tonight?
Look back over the game and look at the amount of times Goldson mis places a pass and or provides a pass that puts his teammates in immediate trouble. He had a yard and a half head start on at least 2 occasions and was still second to the ball putting us at risk.

I want to see Katic and Helander get a few games together, in my humble opinion that is a combo that offer more both defensively and offensively at set pieces. Goldson needs rested!

Onwards to Sunday......another 3pts please!

Goldson is our No1 centre back folk just have to accept this and move on and btw he was class tonight.
White Lines.....hidden dreams of passion....Going through my mind.....& all the while I think of you!

Stay away from the Cooncil Pablo!

Look back over the game and look at the amount of times Goldson mis places a pass and or provides a pass that puts his teammates in immediate trouble. He had a yard and a half head start on at least 2 occasions and was still second to the ball putting us at risk.

I want to see Katic and Helander get a few games together, in my humble opinion that is a combo that offer more both defensively and offensively at set pieces. Goldson needs rested!

Onwards to Sunday......another 3pts please!
You must have watched a different game to me, I thought Goldson was solid tonight. Tav on the other hand is out of form.

Katic was a bomb scare against Livi 2nd half, he was not his normal self, probably didn’t help having Haliday beside him.

Goldson and Helander are the 1st choice centre backs and rightly so. I do think we’ll see all 4 centre backs starting over the next two games.

Changes days to 2 seasons ago!

Agree regards Ojo, his worldie aside, I thought he was dreadful tonight.

People are allowed to do both. The gaffer will have his criticisms despite a fantastic result so why can’t we? Expecting people not to want improvement in certain areas just because we won is a tin pot mentality.
I don't necessarily disagree with the OP's other points, it's just maybe not the time or the place.
Sometimes we all just want to bask in a bit of glory when it comes along and savour the moment before we bump back down to earth the following day.

MEF1tE.gif

Not one player deserves criticism tonight and they all deserve plaudits.

Bigger picture, Katic is by far a better centre half than Goldson and the bollocks excuse our manager gave about why he didn’t feature tonight questions our intelligence

The only point I agree with is that Tav was way out of sorts tonight - don’t know if it was the occasion (he was wearing no.2 jersey let’s not forget) or just a bad game. The criticism of Ojo and Goldson is just nonsense, they were solid 7/10 performers with Shey a match winner. Please let’s start getting behind this lad.
Ojo was fine tonight, barasic wow... Arfield wow.. what a game

I love Katic but Goldson is the best centre half at the club. He’s not perfect but it’s not even an argument. It’s always going to be Goldson plus one in the games that matter.

Big Niko can be a top player but it amazes me anyone could watch the Livi game and think Goldson was the centre half that should be dropped for tonight.

"Tremendous Result...but there’s an elephant in the room!!"

Away and have a wee lie down. We beat a decent Dutch team and it could have been by a wider margin.

Aye, some players played better than others but you clearly haven't a clue what 'an elephant in the room' actually means.

That was a major scalp we took tonight and people still find a way to look at the negatives. Take the night off mate and let the rest of us drink this in.

I enjoyed the victory as much as the next man....you can bet your bottom dollar Gerrard and the coaching team will be all over the footage of our game tomorrow expressing opinions on where we let ourselves down and could have been better....Morelos as an example was immense but they will look at his final decision making at times where he shoots instead of lifting his head and looking for a better option and give him that feedback.

If you’ve played or understand the game you know a growth mindset as opposed to a fixed mindset is what separates Great players like Gerrard to everyday journeymen it’s about looking at how you get better and being driven to learn.....you improve by having a learn it all approach more than a know it all approach....in any aspect of life!

My points are merely highlighting my opinion on where I think we can grow and improve and I very much doubt Gerrard and his team will only be back slapping the team privately throughout tomorrow.

The stick Goldson is getting is beyond ridiculous.
You think we would get a clean sheet against a very good Dutch team with a hopeless centre half?
Goldson played well tonight, no defender gets every minute right, but he got most things spot on.

It's becoming Worrall like, he gets dogs abuse mainly because his name isn't Katic.

Back