Trevon Steven sportsound

BUDDA76

Small piece on sportsound with Trevor Steven and spoke very well about his time at Rangers.
Some interesting tales and also how he had to retire due to circulation issues in his legs during 9 on a row season.
Cracking player and how we could do with someone with his talent now. Crazy to think how many England internationals we had at that time all due to the European ban.

An absolutely magnificent player. Couldn’t believe he came back from Marseille. His on field relationship with Gary Stevens at Everton and Rangers was unlike anything I had seen. Every week they entertained us with their intellect and athleticism. Just brilliant. Never thought I’d see the likes of it again, and then up pop Davie Robertson and Brian Laudrup to do it on the other side of Ibrox. Happy days, we were spoiled.

I remember a poster on here years ago saying he was an ex professional player and that Trevor Steven was the best player he'd ever played against, even better than Gazza and Laudrup. He said you simply couldn't get near him in games.

didnt his wife own a shop on buchanan street years ago?
Designer kids shoes, iirc.

A really good interview and I had no idea as to the reason he retired.

Interesting to hear Lee McCulloch talk up Brendan Rodgers. The day after he was sacked by Kilmarnock, Rodgers had him up at Lennoxtown and treated him really well.

There is a documentary on BT sport called 'back into the sunshine' around the ban on English football from Europe where he discusses coming to us and comes across really well

Absolute class.

When we do those favourite Rangers teams chats among ourselves I always include him.

Rolls Royce of a player.

I'm sure there was a game at Ibrox v them, I was right in line from the west enclosure. He either played a perfect pass, or he got played in and scored. It was ruled offside. First talking point on the bus was whether it was onside or not. It was a brilliant goal.

I just got everybody telt ;), it was onside.

Can't remember what game it was, the googlers might find it.

Great first spell not as good the second time around iirc although he still scored a great header against them at new year

Designer kids shoes, iirc.

A really good interview and I had no idea as to the reason he retired.

Interesting to hear Lee McCulloch talk up Brendan Rodgers. The day after he was sacked by Kilmarnock, Rodgers had him up at Lennoxtown and treated him really well.

I'm sure he had shop in Royal Exchange Square, mate.

Recall him rising like a gazelle to score the only goal of the game v them at Ibrox one new year, mid 90's. Then swalliethon in Neptune Lodge.

I remember a poster on here years ago saying he was an ex professional player and that Trevor Steven was the best player he'd ever played against, even better than Gazza and Laudrup. He said you simply couldn't get near him in games.

My mate played against Rangers lots of time for a couple diff teams in 90s and he said Trevor Steven was best player he had ever played against.

Injuries ruined him but genuinely think at 1 point he was one of the top players in Europe.

A great player a favourite of mine back in ye olden days.
Although he played a lot of his career as a right sided midfielder, for me , he was better in central role.
A 25 year old, full England International, he would be a 100 million pound player in today's market.

We should have done so much more in Europe during those times, especially with English teams out.
Steaua Bucharest, Cologne, Bayern Munich, Sparta Prague, Red Star Belgrade. The teams that put us out from 1987 - 1991, weren't exactly poor, maybe Prague being the exception.

Steaua Bucharest, Cologne, Bayern Munich, Sparta Prague, Red Star Belgrade. The teams that put us out from 1987 - 1991, weren't exactly poor, maybe Prague being the exception.
Can't remember the years, but 2 stick out for me. Alania vladikavkaz or whatever they were called. And Victoria Zizkov. The Alania games were adrenalin inducing.

The Viktoria game a good few years later was soul destroying. I remember walking out the stadium thinking, who the fk are these guys.

But like Europe these days, some of the teams you hardly know of are a tricky obstacle.

One of the best I’ve ever seen pre Marseille move. Just behind gazza as the best midfielder I’ve seen play for us.

Can't remember the years, but 2 stick out for me. Alania vladikavkaz or whatever they were called. And Victoria Zizkov. The Alania games were adrenalin inducing.

The Viktoria game a good few years later was soul destroying. I remember walking out the stadium thinking, who the fk are these guys.

But like Europe these days, some of the teams you hardly know of are a tricky obstacle.
He was away before we played Zizkov.

Back