Turnbull of Motherwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ray Wilkins was here when we had a team full of England internationals. Players who came here for the money and the platform of European Cup football because English clubs were banned. Times change we are not the big pull we were. Is that statement incorrect?

Championship teams like Derby and Middlesbrough can out spend us. Is that statement incorrect?

For a player who has no affinity towards us, if they can get a better financial deal with a club like that, with the potential to do well and play in the premiership and get a megabucks deal - thats not a better draw than what we have been underachieving lately?

We are a small fish these days to everyone but ourselves. This is a fact enforced by our player recruitment the past few seasons. The biggest names we have brought in have been Rangers fans (McGregor, Murphy, Dorrans) outside of Defoe who is here for Gerrard.
A different argument. Playing for Rangers is something that is out of the ordinary, and on a football level there are very few clubs that compete with that.

He never got a kick against our midfield the last time he played against us mate, plus he sold a goal.

He's a decent prospect, who may or may not go on to fulfill his potential.

We're not spending £3 mill, 20k a week on that

Not a chance.

And rightly so!

Maybe after 3/4 seasons then it would be up for discussion, but there is no way he is worth that to us at this time.

Like you have already said, he doesn’t get in our team atm.

A different argument. Playing for Rangers is something that is out of the ordinary, and on a football level there are very few clubs that compete with that.

I think you’re right JMCK but in most cases that’s when they join & see the magnitude of the club.
Getting them in the door is the hard part. Once a Defoe or Wilkins have joined us they’re blown away.

Thanks mate. This was the three ‘quality’ players Steven referred to.

If we manage to release a lot of those guys simply not good enough it’ll go a long way to funding the wages gap at least ?

I know some people are critical that we haven't spent money yet, however we will.

That aside, I think it speaks volumes of Allen, Gerrard and the rest of the staff that we've snapped up Jones, Stewart, Hastie, Davis and possibly Aribo for next to nothing.

Throw in Ojo and possibly Kent coming on loan and we're well advanced for mid June.

Targets have been identified and are being successfully pursued.

Impressive stuff for me.

Meanwhile, over at the piggery........

I’m hoping they’re not part of that ?

They’re different positions from what MU said too mate.

I know mate but if the 3 quality players are not including the 3 I mentioned then we are gonna have some team.

I know some folk don’t like people to get excited or optimistic but I’m struggling to contain myself here! :)):))

I know some people are critical that we haven't spent money yet, however we will.

That aside, I think it speaks volumes of Allen, Gerrard and the rest of the staff that we've snapped up Jones, Stewart, Hastie, Davis and possibly Aribo for next to nothing.

Throw in Ojo and possibly Kent coming on loan and we're well advanced for mid June.

Impressive stuff for me.

Cheer up NL oh what can ...
Cheer up SB oh what can ...
Cheer up Thumbheid oh what can ....

And continue for every mhank you wish!

Of course it is. You haven't mentioned which club he could go to that would be better than playing here.

I did so either you have not read my post or chosen to ignore it.

On a level playing field, which I'd imagine we are on if we wanted this player, would he have a better opportunity elsewhere?

What level playing field would we be on with the clubs that i mentioned in a previous post? They have more money and for the most part the lure of playing in the premiership for most players is pretty hard to turn down. I cant think of how we can be on a level playing field with clubs we cant compete with financially or competition wise.

Your point seems to be built around playing for us has some kind of special experience around it, which i agree with. Problem is a player doesn't know that until he has actually played for us. So its hard to sell to someone on that.

I think you’re right JMCK but in most cases that’s when they join & see the magnitude of the club.
Getting them in the door is the hard part. Once a Defoe or Wilkins have joined us they’re blown away.
I agree, and my pointt is the downplaying the club in a context that is largely inappropriate. Wilkins, Butcher, Woods, Laudrup, and Gascoigne played at these same away grounds; against these same clubs. Money is the difference; I'd suggest it doesn't count ad much as a factor as we imagine.

I did so either you have not read my post or chosen to ignore it.

What level playing field would we be on with the clubs that i mentioned in a previous post? They have more money and for the most part the lure of playing in the premiership for most players is pretty hard to turn down. I cant think of how we can be on a level playing field with clubs we cant compete with financially or competition wise.

Your point seems to be built around playing for us has some kind of special experience around it, which i agree with. Problem is a player doesn't know that until he has actually played for us. So its hard to sell to someone on that.
I think Rangers should be going for Turnbull, would we really be out spent by a margin we couldn't compete with, if we wanted him?

He scored most of them and found his form when Motherwell played the final 5 games against the dross of the league who had one eye on their holidays. He may well be a good player but he was shite against us. He was shite against the tims.

It’s not football manager pal he’s no got an invisible Potential Rating. He had a good 6 months where he played well against the lesser teams in the league. Your a stats man go and check who he plays well against and come back to me

John McGinn had 3 good seasons and consistently caught the eye in the big games. He earned his £20k a week salary and likewise his £4m fee
He performed well before the last 5 games.

Do you know what though, I completely agree not much should be taken from they games. I’ve been saying it for the past month to people who think we’ll skoosh it because we won games when the league was over. I take it you agree?

It's fair to say Jack will be the most vulnerable if Aribo arrives.

That said, there's no question, that due to injuries, suspensions, number of games, Jack, Aribo, Kamara, Davis and probably at least one more mid, will see plenty game time bud.
Of course mate, they will all see game time over a 50-60 match season. There is room for 6 very good CMs. Aribo & another please. :D

This isn’t true at all, turnbull has scored more league goals in the last 3 months than docherty has in his career

Here’s the problem - everyone’s taken by the amount of goals he’s scored, but as a central midfielder he won’t keep scoring to that level. It’s not feasible unless he’s the next Lampard, which I’m confident he isn’t.

It’s the goals that have caught everyone’s eye but I’m confident that nobody on FF has watched enough Motherwell games to comment properly on his overall game, and that’s what you’re paying for once that level of goals dry up - and they will.

Impressive stuff for me.

Agree. This has the potential to be a Carlsberg Transfer Window.

If we get the targets we hope for, the tims are embarrassed by U-Turnbull and a bit of justice is achieved for the abuse victims then I’ll be pretty happy ;)

Rangers and Celtic usually go all out on players that play well against them, from what i have seen this season Turnbull barely kicked a ball against either of us. He was bang average and not a stand out in any of the games. That to me is a concern.

Yes he has scored goals from midfield and that is a massive bonus, but look at those goals, 3 of them were penalties. 11 were scored against Hamilton, St Mirren, Livi and Dundee. Three of the worst teams in the SPL.

I found it very strange that Celtic were willing to pay 1.75m plus for this guy.

Jones and Hastie are low risk, we got them on a free. Still wages but no massive fee and £3m for Scotland whether you get CL money or not is a big fee.

I think Celtic fans should be relieved at missing out on him.

In my opinion, a fee of £3m+ and alleged wages of £20k+ for a 19 year old is a massive risk in this league for someone who (whilst obviously talented) has only 6 months of good performances in the league and registered "only" 3 goals and 1 assist against top 6 sides this season.

I mean, for comparison here's the list of Players we have signed for £3m+ in the last 15 years and why.
  • 2004 - Barry Ferguson from Blackburn £4.5m - The justification is that he is Barry Ferguson
  • 2008 - Kyle Lafferty from Burnley £3.25m - 20 year old promising striker with 14 international caps from a Championship side, only priced at £3m+ due to part exchange with Alan Gow falling through.
  • 2008 - Pedro Mendes from Portsmouth £3m - Champions League winning, Premiership Midfielder
  • 2008 - Steven Davis from Aston VIlla £3m - Northern Ireland's youngest Captain, Premiership Midfielder who had proven himself on loan the previous season
  • 2010 - Nikica Jelavic from Rapid Vienna £4m - Croatian International, 1-in-2 striker the previous season in Austrian Bundesliga
  • 2018 - Connor Goldson from Brighton £3m - English Premiership Defender, over 100 apps in all three lower divisions of English football. Unlucky with diagnosis of heart defect and missed out on Brighton's Promotion season, we're lucky we got him for the price we did

Did we even pay £3 million for Bazza though? Blackburn still owed us funds from the original transfer, which was downplayed by the press up here spinning things for Murray.

He would get in ahead of Jack. Without doubt, we’re looking to add creativity & goals to the midfield. The first man to drop out will be Jack.

As you will see come the start of the league campaign when we get our targets.

Nah, he isn’t currently a better player than Jack, and Jack does a specific role and is grossly under appreciated by folk on here for some bizarre reason.

He performed well before the last 5 games.

Do you know what though, I completely agree not much should be taken from they games. I’ve been saying it for the past month to people who think we’ll skoosh it because we won games when the league was over. I take it you agree?
No not at all and the reasons are obvious to anyone who watched the games. Everyone in the top 6 had something to play for, Europe and money mostly, but also rivalry. Anyone who plays against rangers or Celtic are playing a cup final. We never get an easy ride from anyone in any game this season and your showing your true colours suggesting otherwise.

Back on topic Turnbull played ok in the games leading up to the last 6. Up until March Hastie was the one everyone talked about. After March Turnbull scored 8 against the leagues worst teams and became a £3m and 22k player to the Football Manager Loyal

I’ll be honest, you strike me as a tim and I’m following the apparently dozens of people who are muting your pish from here on out

Nah, he isn’t currently a better player than Jack, and Jack does a specific role and is grossly under appreciated by folk on here for some bizarre reason.
I’m a fan of him. But we’ll see who drops out for a creative CM next year.

No not at all and the reasons are obvious to anyone who watched the games. Everyone in the top 6 had something to play for, Europe and money mostly, but also rivalry. Anyone who plays against rangers or Celtic are playing a cup final. We never get an easy ride from anyone in any game this season and your showing your true colours suggesting otherwise.

Back on topic Turnbull played ok in the games leading up to the last 6. Up until March Hastie was the one everyone talked about. After March Turnbull scored 8 against the leagues worst teams and became a £3m and 22k player to the Football Manager Loyal

I’ll be honest, you strike me as a tim and I’m following the apparently dozens of people who are muting your pish from here on out
What a weird chap. Keep muting opinions you disagree with, you’ll end up in a lovely wee echo chamber.

P.S dozens have me on ignore? Pretty sure its just that nutjob that got upset when I laughed at him for comparing Gerrard to Bill Struth.

Last edited:
I can't believe they are staggering about from one PR disaster to the next, shown up for being the petty, disingenuous, spiteful, outright liars that they are.

This is glorious and we're no even in pre season yet :D
I think the scum first PR eleven team, are involved elsewhere putting out fires. These PR disasters are their PR second team faults.

A lot of people talking down the opposition he scored goals against
Think we dropped points to some of these teams

So his goals could easily turned out dropped points into maximum points
An been closer to the title

But I admit
Never really paid attention to this kid

I’d just love to sign him
Because he’s the most talked up young Scott there has been in a while due to
Potential
An they wanted him lol

We’ve not done that to them in years

An it could be a sign of maybe the tables turning

2.75 with add ons add lafferty on loan, I would much rather aribo though so here’s hoping we get that over the line.

Turnbull isn’t worth that after a good 6 months with Motherwell. £1.5m plus add ons would represent decent value.

Thankfully it looks like English prices are heading north, which can only be good for scottish football overall.

Turnbull isn’t worth that after a good 6 months with Motherwell. £1.5m plus add ons would represent decent value.

Thankfully it looks like English prices are heading north, which can only be good for scottish football overall.
Just look at Mcginn none of us would’ve paid 2.5 for him at the time when we were linked with him and now he’s worth around £20m, sometimes these are the risks worth to take or else we could well regret it.

Just look at Mcginn none of us would’ve paid 2.5 for him at the time when we were linked with him and now he’s worth around £20m, sometimes these are the risks worth to take or else we could well regret it.
He is a 19 year old in our division and is the best player at his age in that position, who also appears to be able to adapt to various roles; we should be signing him. We can't guarantee his potential, but right now he is a very good footballer and gives every indication that he is dedicated and could get much better.

Different scenario though mate.

McGinn was already a full internationalist and had been a first team regular for 3 years.

Turnbull may well go on to make the same sort of impression, but he's a few years behind McGinn development wise.

Different scenario though mate.

McGinn was already a full internationalist and had been a first team regular for 3 years.

Turnbull may well go on to make the same sort of impression, but he's a few years behind McGinn development wise.
Mcginn wasn’t very good at age of 19 though he only started hitting form two years ago really.

Mcginn wasn’t very good at age of 19 though he only started hitting form two years ago really.

Kind of the point I'm trying to make mate.

Some people develop earlier than others, but they don't always maintain the same level of improvement as they mature.

It's a huge gamble at £3 mill and not one I'd want us to take.

We are reportedly offering Aribo 20k a week.

He plays in League one so is not proven either.

He’s a reputedly £6mill transfer available on a free so will expect some of that in his wages. He also has multiple credible suitors in big money clubs who will pay that in wages. We need a huge package to attract him over them. He also is established for a few years.

Turnbull is established for half a season in what may have been a purple patch scoring against the league’s shittest teams. And has a fairly substantial transfer fee attached. And has no definite suitors bar one he doesn’t want to go to. He has great potential and may one day earn multiples of £20k. But at present he will be lucky to get it. McGinn was better regarded and more proven but had a lower wage as far as I am aware (?£17k).

Turnbull needs to go somewhere and prove he has it consistently and at a higher level. Then he’ll be on £20k and much much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back