Turnbull of Motherwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody has bid for him....as yet. There have been enquiries but no formal bids.
We have contacted Motherwell but have yet to bid.

I really hope we follow up, makes me anxious the thought of a good Scottish prospect like him even being linked with them.

I don't think we are in the position to be paying £2.5 million for a 19 yr old no matter how good he is and how good he could be.

Turnbull was pish when we pumped Motherwell near the end of the season.

Got dispossessed in his own half for one of our goals.

That's the only time I've seen him but I've noticed he has a strong fan club on FF.

Didn't realise we had as many regular watchers of Motherwell amongst us.

That's the only time I've seen him but I've noticed he has a strong fan club on FF.

Looking at the stats he is the best goal scoring midfielder in the league something our current midfield of jack kamara and Davis don’t have in them.

Yeah good point actually. We shouldn’t attempt to sign one of the best prospects in this country because he was part of a team that got skelped by a significantly better team. Not to mention he made a mistake, something which no player in our current team has ever done, of course.

Looking at the stats he is the best goal scoring midfielder in the league something our current midfield of jack kamara and Davis don’t have in them.

I form my opinion of players by watching them.

I watch Jack, Davis and Kamara every week. I've know they've got quality and I believe they along with Arfield have been the best midfield in Scotland since the formation tweek.

I've seen nothing that would make me want to swap them for some boy from Motherwell who was outclassed when we played him.

Yeah good point actually. We shouldn’t attempt to sign one of the best prospects in this country because he was part of a team that got skelped by a significantly better team. Not to mention he made a mistake, something which no player in our current team has ever done, of course.

What have you seen from him that makes you want to sign him?

What games did you watch he was involved in that you thought he looked a player?

What have you seen from him that makes you want to sign him?

What games did you watch he was involved in that you thought he looked a player?
None?? I thought we agreed that because we beat him and he made a mistake that he should be banished from Ibrox and ridiculed?

I form my opinion of players by watching them.

I watch Jack, Davis and Kamara every week. I've know they've got quality and I believe they along with Arfield have been the best midfield in Scotland since the formation tweek.
i don’t disagree with that but the tims will strengthen their team next season and we should be doing the same because one injury to arfield next season means we don’t have anyone from midfield that can get us goals.

He’s a motherwell fan, hopefully he ends up down south as we don’t appear interested. Plus i’m sick of them having the best young talent in the country.

They are a selling club, since my younger days they always have been.

They'll buy him, make him better in this league then punt him when they get a stupid offer from crazy money English clubs. That's their modus operandi.

None?? I thought we agreed that because we beat him and he made a mistake that he should be banished from Ibrox and ridiculed?

Nah mate I said that and you ripped your knickers.

You on the other hand clearly think we should sign him. You can either try and justify why that is or not I couldn't really care.

i don’t disagree with that but the tims will strengthen their team next season and we should be doing the same because one injury to arfield next season means we don’t have anyone from midfield that can get us goals.

I agree.

If we're signing a #10 though I think we should set our sights higher.

Glen Kamara at 50k was an absolute steal but generally there's no value for us in the SPL anymore. Clubs hate us that much they rip the piss with their valuations.

I'd rather spend 2 or 3mil on a #10 elsewhere.

From a very short sited point of view, Turnball doesn't improve their first team.

He got bossed by Ryan Jack everytime we played them last season.

Undoubtedly has the potential to be a great player but.

I watched him and Hastie teh last time we played them, Neither really stood out but look at Kamara. By all accounts he is the biggest talent in Scottish football for quite a while.

15 league goals from midfield for that horrible motherwell side is an exceptional return for a guy who turned 19 at the start of the season. Motherwell today said they'll not listen to offers unless they blow their record fee out of the water (£1.75m). If the premiership interest is genuine I can't see him coming to us or them, as he would a genuine chance of game time somewhere like Brighton, who could stump up £4m like handing a quid to a beggar

I watched him and Hastie teh last time we played them, Neither really stood out but look at Kamara. By all accounts he is the biggest talent in Scottish football for quite a while.

Kamara stood out for Dundee against us even when getting pumped 4-0 at Ibrox.

Why did you not mention Arfield mate?

He's 19, how many seasons do you expect him to do it for?

Scottish teenager scores 15 goals for Motherwell and you're looking for negatives.
I’m not im looking for negatives in just saying before we splash out £3mil plus I would like the player to do it for more than a season against bottom 6 teams.

I understand it was circa £1.75m for O'Donnell. That's coming from the Motherwell side of things.
Just going by what transfer market has the fee at and on there it’s €2.65.

£2.3 is a rough conversion with €0.85 in the £

Edit just over £2 million with the exchange at €0.76 in 1994

93rlnxi.jpg

Last edited:
Arfield in this new formation is like a second striker he plays right beside Defoe more or less.

He's very much a 4th midfielder when we don't have possession mate.

Incredible work rate.

I like Turnbull, but he's not at the level where he's replacing any of our first pick midfielders yet.

As for the future, that's a different story.

Who knows?

Just going by what transfer market has the fee at and on there it’s €2.65.

£2.3 is a rough conversion with €0.85 in the £

Edit just over £2 million with the exchange at €0.76 in 1994

93rlnxi.jpg

Believe it or not, at the time O'Donnell was the Dhims record signing:

PHIL O'DONNELL yesterday became Celtic's record signing as the 22-year-old midfielder completed a pounds £1.75m move from Motherwell.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-175m-odonnell-sets-celtic-record-1447963.html

I would be surprised if we couldn’t afford £2m to then send him back for a year. He would be ready to hit the ground running in 2020 and would likely do him a world of good.

Send them Hastie/Middleton and Lafferty too. Could possibly give us 12 points vs Motherwell and trip up Celtic by 4-8 too. It’s tome we started boxing clever. Our squad is big, and they’re better off at SPFL clubs than in the stands.

Playing for Rangers is a completely different ball game though ... I’m not saying the boy hasn’t got what it takes but to make judgements based on what he does playing for Motherwell is not the full picture

We don't have a spare 2m for a young player with potential and that's all it is just now.

At that money we are needing someone to come right in and make a difference or be better than what we have and I don't think, as good a season as the lad has had, he is at that point yet.

That said if he goes to England in the next year or two we, or them for that matter, ain't getting him back up here.
We wasted £2m on Grezda. We won’t get that back.

Believe it or not, at the time O'Donnell was the Dhims record signing:

PHIL O'DONNELL yesterday became Celtic's record signing as the 22-year-old midfielder completed a pounds £1.75m move from Motherwell.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-175m-odonnell-sets-celtic-record-1447963.html
Fee paid with potential add on’s mate! As I said I just quoted transfermarket amounts but made a can’t of it on the euro to sterling conversion

https://www.transfermarkt.com/phil-odonnell/transfers/spieler/3987

Anyway I think Turnbull will go for between 2.5 and 3 million. Scum will offer them some young fringe players on loan and a fee up front.

Edit also read that AVB has his eye on Ncham or whatever the Brie eaters name is!

Last edited:
Playing for Rangers is a completely different ball game though ... I’m not saying the boy hasn’t got what it takes but to make judgements based on what he does playing for Motherwell is not the full picture
Would much rather we spent money on turnbull than 2-3million on another foreigner that doesn’t know the league.

Nobody in their right mind is paying Motherwell £3m+ for one of their players. I've 'championed' signing Turnbull on here for months now as I think he has a huge future ahead of him. Had he played for the likes of Hearts, Hibs or the Sheep then the bidding would, as you suggest, start at £2.5m. He doesn't though, he plays for Motherwell. The bidding will 'top out' at £2.5m - if it even gets that high (would need the English to get heavily involved because no Scottish club is paying that for him). Sounds daft, I know, but it's the way things work in football.
We'll have to agree to disagree there. Neighbours Hamilton bagged £4.7m for James McCarthy a decade ago. When a special talent comes along the normal rules go out the window and Turnbull appears to fall into that category.

Really hope we're in for him.

Work under Neil Lennon or Steven Gerrard. It's hardly a tough choice is it?
It’s funny mate, I always forget about that when it comes to signings. Even when Rodgers was over there.... the lure of working for Gerrard would still prove too much would it not?

Fee paid with potential add on’s mate! As I said I just quoted transfermarket amounts but made a can’t of it on the euro to sterling conversion

https://www.transfermarkt.com/phil-odonnell/transfers/spieler/3987

Ha ha will leave it at that I guess. I use transfermarkt a lot for my own research. One thing I would never rely on them for though is either previous nor projected transfer fees/valuations. Great for stats on games played, goals scored etc though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back