Turnbull of Motherwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need to get ourselves into a position where we can buy these talents cheap at the start but keep them developing where they currently are.

Loathe to give any crumb of credit to the scum but the way they farmed out Christie was effective. Able to get a run of games at a smaller club, becoming their main player to try and take points off those around you but unable to play against you, then come back ready for the 1st team.

Can't think of anyone we have done that with.

Can do it with Turnbull, should probably have done it with Hastie if he's not coming in to feature loads.

Turnbull reminds me a bit of McFadden and his impact for Motherwell at the time.

I always thought McFadden would have been a great signing for us.

His career tailed off very quickly but he was a dangerous player for a few years in his early 20's.

I'm not convinced, given the budget we probably have and the fact that a £2.5m player would have to contribute straight away, this woukd be a prudent move for us.

Not saying the boy isnt a talent, but he is a half-season talent so far who has performed well against average teams. He was also deadful against us

Has there been any links with us and Trumbull?

Nope and I would be very surprised if we did move for him. I think it's too much of a risk and for the rumoured fee we need someone with proven quality to go straight into our midfield. Turnbull for all this hype might not be the most viable option out there at the moment.

Nope and I would be very surprised if we did move for him. I think it's too much of a risk and for the rumoured fee we need someone with proven quality to go straight into our midfield. Turnbull for all this hype might not be the most viable option out there at the moment.

Valid point there but we did go for Hastie - I presume the difference there was we only had to pay a development fee ?

This summer I’d like to see some reinvestment in the CM. Our three players there at the moment costs a grand total of 50k.

Agree. 2m is A LOT to us nowadays. If we pay that he must be available for selection mark.
True mate but we spent the same on Grezda. Its an investment thats worth it in the long run.

My worry is I don’t think his all round game is good enough yet to start every week for us, he undoubtedly has the talent & potential but I’d imagine he would be used in rotation

Valid point there but we did go for Hastie - I presume the difference there was we only had to pay a development fee ?

This summer I’d like to see some reinvestment in the CM. Our three players there at the moment costs a grand total of 50k.

Hastie will cost us practically nothing in the long term it's a low risk/small outlay and the lad does have potential and something about him. Can we realistically do the same with Turnbull not for me I'm afraid and I do agree we need some much needed investment in our midfield a creative midfielder to go straight into the team is a priority imo.

I’d be comparing 2m for him to other options abroad. It’s a lot of cash, so we need to respect the impact on us of paying that nowadays too.
I haven’t seen much of him live, and would want to understand how he’s performed against the top 6 clubs. He did have a rough time against us for example.

£1m & Lafferty.

True mate but we spent the same on Grezda. Its an investment thats worth it in the long run.

My worry is I don’t think his all round game is good enough yet to start every week for us, he undoubtedly has the talent & potential but I’d imagine he would be used in rotation

Thanks MSF.

In principle it sounds like we should be interested in the boy, but I personally haven’t seen him enough to have a strong view either way yet.

If we don't even attempt to sign this guy then I will be left utterly mystified when you consider some of the other dross we've wasted money on in the last year.

Offer £2m, Lafferty for a season and cover his wages and Robbie McCrorie on loan.

Hearing that lot have offered £1.2m for him.

Are we likely to go after him too?

Seems a good prospect.
Has he got a Twitter thing I would to tell him a little secret before he signs, well it's a big secret but he needs to know if he doesn't already. Sent similar to that Charlton Kid they are after childish behaviour for a 59 year old I know but made me feel good

Good player and for £2m worth it. However it is an area where we have a lot of players and also two of our best youngsters ,Kelly and Palmer play so I think it is unlikely we will go for him.

I'm not being funny here but going by your logic we could sign 3 world cup winners on a Bosman (Bowman for you) and you'd moan as we hadn't spent a penny.

Some of our fans haven't a clue.

How many did he manage against the top six sides?

He's nothing like Durrant in style or in terms of talent.
1against hibs and 1 against Aberdeen.
The rest Dundee, st Johnston Hamilton st mirren Livvie
But to be fair sometimes we've seen it's those teams we've needed the points from??

How many did he manage against the top six sides?

He's nothing like Durrant in style or in terms of talent.

He is just a young boy breaking through in his first season, just because he doesn't have a great scoring record against the top six is no jusification to knock the lad.

Each to their own but I see similarities with Durrant in the way he times his runs into the box (that is why I specifically said "a bit like"), if you disagree fine.

I'm not being funny here but going by your logic we could sign 3 world cup winners on a Bosman (Bowman for you) and you'd moan as we hadn't spent a penny.

What the hell are you on about?

I still think the midfield needs a bit of investment in it to bring in a bit more quality. The type of player I would want isn’t going to be a bosman.

Not sure why this is so difficult to understand.

This is one we need to pip them to. He’s comfortably the best prospect in Scottish football, we got away with them not getting McGinn last year, can’t allow them to get this guy.
Nail on the head @Coda. McGinn would have gone a long way to securing their superiority over us for a while. We need to be snapping up the best young Scottish talent. The tide won't really turn until we do. It's not like I've scouted the boy but given the stats he's posted from centre mid I'd be shocked if he's not playing at a high level in the next few years.

We were told all this about Greg Docherty.

Beat me to it.

We can't afford £2million + on potential at the moment. For that money we need a first team game changer.

Docherty, who I still have high hopes for, shows being a stand out in a smaller team goes for nothing when you join us. You need a minimum 7 out of ten every week.

This is the problem

Turnbull is the better player. Yes we got a bargain because Hastie will be a small development fee but if they get him for £2m they have got the better player.

We need to get away from the notion 'it's a no risk' because players are on a free. We need to start signing the better players.

This is the problem

Turnbull is the better player. Yes we got a bargain because Hastie will be a small development fee but if they get him for £2m they have got the better player.

We need to get away from the notion 'it's a no risk' because players are on a free. We need to start signing the better players.

Absolutely. Frees etc can only get you so far.

If we’re serious about winning the league proper targeted investment in certain key positions is needed.

As Beale said, there’s a reason players are on bosmans.

I think he's a cracking player. Could be the potential number 10 we are looking for at a fairly decent price. £2m and Middleton on loan would be hard for Motherwell to turn down although they'd probably want a decent sell on clause.

By the way, let's compare his league stats to Kent (who half on this board thought would quadruple in value if we signed him)

Kent - 27 apps, 6 goals, 6 assists
Turnbull - 30 apps, 15 goals, 6 assists

Turnbull is 3 years younger and plays in a less offensive position in a team who scored 36 goals less than us this season. So far less time on the ball and opportunities to create and score goals.

I know who I'd invest in.

Last edited:
He’s an absolutely brilliant talent. A great boy too. Gut feeling is that he’ll go down south. That will be Motherwell’s preference. He’s been at Motherwell since he was 9 so they are absolutely spot on to look for big bucks for him. I fear that will rule us out though.

For his age he’s brilliant. He’s Motherwell’s best player. Would be good to have him along with Hastie as we need a No 10. Definitely should go for him. We need to be bringing in younger talented players and then selling them on it’s what them over there have been doing for years now.

Talented boy, but he has a long way to go.

Motherwell will want to sell this summer while his stock is high. They'd welcome a bidding war.

I don't think it'd be in our interests to get into a bidding war at this stage.
He has a long way to go, but Rangers could make him that player. I would like us to show some intention and make a bid for him.

Beat me to it.

We can't afford £2million + on potential at the moment. For that money we need a first team game changer.

Docherty, who I still have high hopes for, shows being a stand out in a smaller team goes for nothing when you join us. You need a minimum 7 out of ten every week.

We should be able to when we're getting established players like Steven Davis and Jermain Defoe for free or loan fees. Jordan Jones, Glen Kamara and Jake Hastie also coming in to boost the squad numbers should mean there is money available to sign Turnbull for £2M. It's an investment that will see us sell for £10M+ if he keeps progressing the way he is.

Selling Morelos should bring in a lot of money and the squad doesn't need massive changes this season. Look at the money chucked away on Barisic and Grezda last season seemingly without doing our homework on them.

Here's a guy already playing in the league who is 19 and has massive potential and resale value. If we can chuck away £4M on a couple of relative unknowns from the Croatian league last season then we should be able to spend £2M on a young Scottish player this season.

Beat me to it.

Exactly right. Two million for us is starter material, now not 2/3 years from now. Is he better than Kamara or Davis at the moment? He doesn't play the same position as Jack so he doesn't oust Jack.

Do we change our style of play to accomidate him?

Think the clamour for him is due to the fact that lot seem interested. We don't have the finances to blow them out of the water.

Last edited:
When we were watching Hastie, we would have seen Turnbull, that was before he signed his new deal. We would have sounded out his representative to see what the lads position was. It’s obvious that he is a Motherwell fan and wants them to get money when he leaves.
IMO he appears to favour a move south when the time arrives, I doubt that he wants the baggage that comes with playing for Rangers or that other mob.

I like him and he is clearly the type we should be looking at, but £2m is a lot for us to be paying for a boy who has had one good season. Who drops out for him?

If Arfield had played the full season in his current role he would have scored more.

I would like to see him at us though or move down south.

I think we should definitely be making an offer for the lad, especially now the scum are after him. He has the ability already to contribute for us as a squad player next season, and has the potential to go even further. On top of that, if the bogtrotters sign him I think he has the potential to be a thorn in our side similar to the way McGregor has been, ie we'll regret it twofold, once for not signing him and twice for him going to them.

As others have highlighted, there are potential carrots we could dangle to Motherwell to sweeten the deal so that all parties concerned win out of it.

Beat me to it.

We will not lose money on Doc, even if it does not work out for him we will recoup what we paid for him.

I think the same with turnbull, we ned to do everything in our power to try to sign this lad, I understand the outlat will be significantly more and where we are now if we are spending £1.5million+ we really need the players to come into our squad and play a part but I think the boy is the real deal and could enhance our squad in an area we need strengthened.

FWIW I still think doc can have a career with us also, it hasnt worked out the way I had thought or he had hoped Im sure but his attitude is A1 and he will give everything he can to make it at Ibrox.

Absolutely. Frees etc can only get you so far.

If we’re serious about winning the league proper targeted investment in certain key positions is needed.

As Beale said, there’s a reason players are on bosmans.

The window isn't even open yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back