Tv licence fee - we are not getting what we pay for .

Should we pay for a service we do not receive ?

• Yes

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • No

Votes: 348 98.6%

• Total voters
Not paid for 8 years. Discrimination of Rangers and it's supporters and not heard anything off them in the past 3 years regarding your household doesn't have a license! All stopped when I mentioned discrimination and I'd see THEM in court.

The Poll Tax tells me that there is indeed substance, in the old adage, that "Unity Is Strength". I mean, if everyone had paid the Poll Tax, would they have abolished it?

Unite Against These BBC Cants, And We Win!

Last edited:
What about a few high profile Rangers fans possibly accompanied with a Rangers staff member, request to see a big wig in BBC London, fully loaded with the evidence obviously.
Would BBC headquarters entertain this?

Active Restistance to TVlicense

We’ve been getting lots of messages about how to deal with visiting goons so here’s how to deal with them on doorstep the visiting bullies have no right to enter your home.
they must leave when asked.
you do not have to tell them anything.
and dont call them either. the golden rule is no contact no contract.
heres how to handle the visits.
when they call out they will try to get you to confirm your name or wether you live in the house. do NOT CONFIRM this.
ask the stranger to to identify themselves. if they dont close your door immediately. even call the police.
if they do identify themselves the ONLY thing you say to them is this
"I do not want to buy anything from you today. I do NOT watch live broadcasts"
then close your door immediately.
This prevents them from getting evidence or an admission of guilt from you. and its 100% legal.
the onus rests on them to prove you need one, not up to you to tell them.
Always remember these will never identify themselves until you ask, so never answer any questions

Emailed the bbc telling them that due to bbc scotlands treatment of our club that i would no longer be using any bbc media products and was cancelling my tv license.

Got this email back.

Thoughts???

Thank you for your recent email, which has been recorded under your complaint reference COM1-7420343930. Please use this number if you wish to contact us again.

I'm sorry to hear you're unhappy with the BBC.
I should begin by explaining that a TV Licence is a legal permission to watch or record television programmes (on any channel, on any device) as they're being shown and to watch or download programmes from BBC iPlayer.
This includes all free to air channels, such as BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5, channels received via a subscription satellite or cable service, for example Sky or Virgin Media, channels received from outside the UK as they're broadcast and channels viewed online at the same time as they're being broadcast by other means.
The licence fee is a payment for this statutory permission, not a payment for a product, utility or service.
The unlicensed use of equipment for the purposes described is an offence, under the Communications Act 2003.
Whilst your email states you no longer watch BBC channels your email suggests that you may still be receiving other broadcast channels. If this is the case you'll still require a licence to legally permit this.
Before we cancel your current licence, which is still valid at the moment, please could you confirm if you have ceased watching all broadcast television channels, not just the BBC, at the address.
With regard to your comments concerning BBC programming, I should explain that TV Licensing are contracted to administer, collect and enforce the licence fee. We've no influence over BBC programming. If you wish to raise any concerns about programming, you may contact the BBC by writing to:
BBC Information
PO Box 1922
Darlington
DL3 0UR

Or by telephone on 03700 100222.
Thank you for taking the time to contact us.
Yours sincerely

Stacey Godden
Customer Relations

Emailed the bbc telling them that due to bbc scotlands treatment of our club that i would no longer be using any bbc media products and was cancelling my tv license.

Got this email back.

Thoughts???

Thank you for your recent email, which has been recorded under your complaint reference COM1-7420343930. Please use this number if you wish to contact us again.

I'm sorry to hear you're unhappy with the BBC.
I should begin by explaining that a TV Licence is a legal permission to watch or record television programmes (on any channel, on any device) as they're being shown and to watch or download programmes from BBC iPlayer.
This includes all free to air channels, such as BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5, channels received via a subscription satellite or cable service, for example Sky or Virgin Media, channels received from outside the UK as they're broadcast and channels viewed online at the same time as they're being broadcast by other means.
The licence fee is a payment for this statutory permission, not a payment for a product, utility or service.
The unlicensed use of equipment for the purposes described is an offence, under the Communications Act 2003.
Whilst your email states you no longer watch BBC channels your email suggests that you may still be receiving other broadcast channels. If this is the case you'll still require a licence to legally permit this.
Before we cancel your current licence, which is still valid at the moment, please could you confirm if you have ceased watching all broadcast television channels, not just the BBC, at the address.
With regard to your comments concerning BBC programming, I should explain that TV Licensing are contracted to administer, collect and enforce the licence fee. We've no influence over BBC programming. If you wish to raise any concerns about programming, you may contact the BBC by writing to:
BBC Information
PO Box 1922
Darlington
DL3 0UR
Or by telephone on 03700 100222.
Thank you for taking the time to contact us.
Yours sincerely

Stacey Godden
Customer Relations
Tell them you no longer watch live tv. They will send letters and possibly guy to your door to check.Been sending me letters and have had visits but dont confirm your name if they visit and youre under no obligation to let them in.

Tell them you no longer watch live tv. They will send letters and possibly guy to your door to check.Been sending me letters and have had visits but dont confirm your name if they visit and youre under no obligation to let them in.

Cheers mate, what do you say if they do come to the door?
And what do you mean live tv? As in sky channels either or just terrestrial?

They will ask if you are *your name* say nothing, they will try to get you to confirm if *your address * is in fact where you live. Say nothing except maybe to ask who they are.
By live tv they mean any tv channels and also iPlayer. You do not have to let them in.

My wife has had them twice at the door whilst I was working.
A quick no thanks, I am not interested worked. She was trained on how to deal with them. They just said ok and walked away. Still got the letters, bit without proof of who you are, which only you would give, they cannot do anything. Don't even have the conversation with them, shut the door.

During the 2003/04 live games were provide on the BBC, but not through the sky channel.

I couldn't get terrestrial through an aerial due to the location in Scotland I was living at the time.

A bear complained about it to the MSP and local paper but it didn't go anywhere.

At that time I thought about telling them to wrap their licence every year as we couldn't get a viewing through an aerial.

I was a sh1te bag back then but last year I didn't bother paying them due to their bigoted reporting against the team I love.

Some really useful advice on this thread.

The bottom line is all householders on the premises need to be well versed in what to say and what NOT to say or do.

One other thing. Can the goons snoop through your windows to take date and time stamped photos of live TV being watched? Presumably that would be evidence of law breaking if they could. Would that mean you’d need to watch TV with the curtains closed if you love ground floor. :D

Some really useful advice on this thread.

The bottom line is all householders on the premises need to be well versed in what to say and what NOT to say or do.

One other thing. Can the goons snoop through your windows to take date and time stamped photos of live TV being watched? Presumably that would be evidence of law breaking if they could. Would that mean you’d need to watch TV with the curtains closed if you love ground floor. :D
As long as you don't tell them or confirm your name they cannot summon you to court.

What a load of nonsense. As if they care if you cancel. Do you really think this would work? Not a chance. I cancelled my TV licence a while back, got a refund and withdrew their Right of Access to my property which i received a letter confirming both. Do you need a James Traynors comments for you to reaslise this? Cant you think for yourself?

All this pish about “breaking the law”. Not paying the BBC is not breaking any laws. Wisen up and deal in facts or we’ll get nowhere.

You simply go to the licence fee website, click opt out & put your address stating you don’t use any of their services. SKY & Virgin do not and cannot just demand money from your account every month if you don’t sign up to them. BBC licence fee is exactly the same. For some reason people are just scared to opt out.
OMG I can't believe the amount of people who don't know this and are still paying the licence.
Fuk the bbc I've not paid for 3 years.

Indeed slam the door in their face after don't come near my door again.
If they come back with Dibble u still can refuse them entry..

Active Restistance to TVlicense

We’ve been getting lots of messages about how to deal with visiting goons so here’s how to deal with them on doorstep the visiting bullies have no right to enter your home.
they must leave when asked.
you do not have to tell them anything.
and dont call them either. the golden rule is no contact no contract.
heres how to handle the visits.
when they call out they will try to get you to confirm your name or wether you live in the house. do NOT CONFIRM this.
ask the stranger to to identify themselves. if they dont close your door immediately. even call the police.
if they do identify themselves the ONLY thing you say to them is this
"I do not want to buy anything from you today. I do NOT watch live broadcasts"
then close your door immediately.
This prevents them from getting evidence or an admission of guilt from you. and its 100% legal.
the onus rests on them to prove you need one, not up to you to tell them.
Always remember these will never identify themselves until you ask, so never answer any questions

A number of years ago they chapped my mates door and asked to see his TV License. The mate informed the guy that he did not have a TV to which the reply was, "Dye think we're stupid, we can see the Aerial on yer Roof". The mate then retorted, "There's 2 fcukin Milk Bottles in front of ye there on ma doorstep, does that mean, av got a Coo" LOL. True Story!

Indeed slam the door in their face after don't come near my door again.
If they come back with Dibble u still can refuse them entry..
Ive had them at the door.I kinda stood there smiling at them for a bit as i gently shut it.Still get the odd letter but they vary from warnings to enquiries.

What a load of nonsense. As if they care if you cancel. Do you really think this would work? Not a chance. I cancelled my TV licence a while back, got a refund and withdrew their Right of Access to my property which i received a letter confirming both. Do you need a James Traynors comments for you to reaslise this? Cant you think for yourself?

Calm down pal:D

Folk are just wondering what the law is and what there rights are.

I know my missus would flip out if the bbc came to our door asking if we watched the telly or asking to come into the house etc.

Back