Two games on one day and other football trivia

Rangerista

Came across this article from a wee while ago, amazing players would agree to this.

Regarding the question asked about Arsenal's absence from European competition during the 1972-3 season, this was due to the "one club per city" rule for the Fair Cities Cup, Spurs taking the place for London as League Cup winners. Incidentally, the same thing happened to Clyde in 1969,who despite finishing 3rd in the league, lost out to Rangers.

1963 or 4 Greenock Juniors played played Cambuslang Rangers at Shawfield in the Central League Cup Final.
They drew 2-2 in the afternoon, and replayed in the evening . Greenock won 4-2.
Not a lot of people know that.

That could be the answer to this crisis - double headers. Remember playing amateur football, think it was in a Sunday league and if you had a lot of games called off during the season due to bad weather, then as the league closed at a certain date you had to play the other your opponents in two games back to back of 30 minutes each way. Was hard work and you needed a big pool of players.

The bully wee appealed that they weren’t a Glasgow side but were registered in Rutherglen.
It failed.
interestingly, the boundary cut across the stadium at an angle from rutherglen road opposite kwick fit through to about 30 yds or so from shawfield bridge On shawfield road.

The bully wee appealed that they weren’t a Glasgow side but were registered in Rutherglen.
It failed.
interestingly, the boundary cut across the stadium at an angle from rutherglen road opposite kwick fit through to about 30 yds or so from shawfield bridge On shawfield road.

I used to work on the turnstiles at Shawfield. The old boundary signs between Glasgow and Rutherglen stood on the road close to my turnstile.

Dunno if it's mentioned on that one but Soren Lerby and Mark Hughes played for Denmark and Wales respectively AND Bayern Munich in a cup game in the same day.

I may have got this remarkably wrong, but didn't Rangers play an away game the day before the Ibrox disaster?

I may have got this remarkably wrong, but didn't Rangers play an away game the day before the Ibrox disaster?
You are correct, on 1 Jan 1971, we lost 3-1 to Falkirk at Brockville. Andy Roxburgh got one of their goals, Alfie Conn got our late consolation goal.

On the fateful day of the Disaster, 5 members of the team played in both games, Jardine, Conn, Jackson, DJ plus Doddie as a sub v Celtic.

It failed.
I wasn't aware of that angle, but since you've mentioned it, how did it fail if they hailed from Rutherglen, the Royal Burgh had its own council until 1975? Personally, I'm just one of those arrogant Glaswegians that considers all the outlying towns around the city to be part of it, I've never thought of Shawfield as being anywhere other than in Glasgow.

I wasn't aware of that angle, but since you've mentioned it, how did it fail if they hailed from Rutherglen, the Royal Burgh had its own council until 1975? Personally, I'm just one of those arrogant Glaswegians that considers all the outlying towns around the city to be part of it, I've never thought of Shawfield as being anywhere other than in Glasgow.

iirc,
what went against them was they were members of the Glasgow association.
playing in the Glasgow cup and the Glasgow merchants charity cup.

Back