U16s final

This will be a valuable lesson now.

You've got to keep fighting. If their heads go completely down RB will take 5 or 6 off us now.

The kids have done well to get to the final, their opponents look bigger and stronger but no better at football.
Thought that was a penalty earlier so they have been a little unfortunat.
You can see our philosophy here. Even although it’s been very difficult to do against this team, we’ve stuck to the task of trying to play football, all the way from the goalkeeper out.

Game over at 3-0.

Think our lads look technically better than them but the pitch does not help at all. It’s awful. Struggled at times with how high Red Bull press as well but all about learning at this level.

game over, in all honesty, tactics against were simple. The goalkeeper (ours) always passes it out. Defend in a high line and Just drive at them once he passes and they will make mistakes.

At this age group it’s not all about winning. We tried to play the right way by playing football but struggled because of that for of a number of reasons. The pitch was hard and dry, Red Bull were a much bigger physical team who were more direct and bullied us. Play the game with the same players in 3 or 4 years and we win 3-0.
I remember the Ajax youth coaches didn’t worry too much about results as they filled their team with technical players irrespective of physical development. So long as they played in the correct way they knew that 3 or 4 years on it all balances up physically. Ajax had great young players by age 19 or 20 come through year after year.

At this age group it’s not all about winning. We tried to play the right way by playing football but struggled because of that for of a number of reasons. The pitch was hard and dry, Red Bull were a much bigger physical team who were more direct and bullied us. Play the game with the same players in 3 or 4 years and we win 3-0.
I remember the Ajax youth coaches didn’t worry too much about results as they filled their team with technical players irrespective of physical development. So long as they played in the correct way they knew that 3 or 4 years on it all balances up physically. Ajax had great young players by age 19 or 20 come through year after year.

agreed but you also have to install when to do it and when not. Or mistakes will happen. You can play from the back, and always play from the back. BUT at times if it means you are going to force an error, you go long.

thats just an opinion from a fan, with no qualifications in football.

Disappointing final but, overall, a good tournament. Some decent looking prospects there I'd say. Most notably Charlie Lindsay (if he was the number 8) - though he does look like a younger Stephen Kelly (whom I have high hopes for).

agreed but you also have to install when to do it and when not. Or mistakes will happen. You can play from the back, and always play from the back. BUT at times if it means you are going to force an error, you go long.

I know what you mean but it’s important to impress a pattern of play through all the age groups to the first team. Plenty of time to try different approaches when the physical difference has evened out later. The long game didn’t suit our lack of physicality today and the poor pitch didn’t help our passing game. Best to persist with the football. Given the success of our teams at youth level it’s not as if they don’t have the desire to win. The whole purpose is to prepare players ultimately for the first team. This is the philosophy at Ajax and seems to work pretty well.

Just watched the game back on YouTube feed thought young bears were better side 1st half
2nd half struggled physically the coloured lad with us reminds me of Nathan Oduwa we all no how that turned out

Just watched the game back on YouTube feed thought young bears were better side 1st half
2nd half struggled physically the coloured lad with us reminds me of Nathan Oduwa we all no how that turned out

Dire Mebude - Dapo’s wee brother. Many have him down as the better prospect.

Anyway, well done to our young squad in getting to the final.

Their outcome of losing 4 was mibbees a big surprise but at least they have tried to bring silverware back home.

On the day took a beating but this result doesn’t detract from our performances throughout the tournament.
Our lads will learn from this final match (cliche I know) and be better equipped to deal with bigger and stronger opponents. Well done our team.

On the day took a beating but this result doesn’t detract from our performances throughout the tournament.
Our lads will learn from this final match (cliche I know) and be better equipped to deal with bigger and stronger opponents. Well done our team.

Spot on chief

It's that sort of mind of thought that has our national team getting spanked year on year....the let's play the bigger boys mentality is 70s fitba something we can't shake off in Scotland. Football has moved on

It's that sort of mind of thought that has our national team getting spanked year on year....the let's play the bigger boys mentality is 70s fitba something we can't shake off in Scotland. Football has moved on

You didn’t watch 70s fitba then big boy mentality has been in our game past 15/20 year and still is seen as way forward
60s 70s 80s was ability over size that’s a fact

disagree, play from the back when you can. If you cant, dont simples.

Back