U21 teams in the EFL Trophy

Disco Deejay

Another bad night for Premier League U21 teams in the EFL Trophy, with all 5 U21 teams losing.

Liverpool U21's lost 6-1 to Wigan Athletic
Wolves U21's lost 4-0 to Oldham
Newcastle U21's lost 3-0 to Shrewsbury

5 U21 teams also lost in the last round of games, including:

Aston Villa U21's lost 8-1 to Sunderland
Leeds Utd U21's lost 7-0 to Accrington Stanley
Chelsea U21's lost 2-1 to Oxford Utd

Some absolute humpings in amongst that lot and suggests why we don't have any Liverpool U21 players on loan this season.

Most Premier League teams, especially Liverpool & Chelsea, have big Academies containing what is supposed to be the best young talent, so I would have expected them to perform better against lower league opposition.

Several posters on here reckon we should be bringing in young EPL players on loan, rather than experienced Championship players like Daniel Johnston. These results suggest that might not be the best option.

Another bad night for Premier League U21 teams in the EFL Trophy, with all 5 U21 teams losing.

Some absolute humpings in amongst that lot and suggests why we don't have any Liverpool U21 players on loan this season.

Most Premier League teams, especially Liverpool & Chelsea, have big Academies containing what is supposed to be the best young talent, so I would have expected them to perform better against lower league opposition.

Several posters on here reckon we should be bringing in young EPL players on loan, rather than experienced Championship players like Daniel Johnston. These results suggest that might not be the best option.

I imagine the best youngsters will be playing in the league cup.

That's what Klopp usually does not sure about Lampard.

Tbf the under 21's in the cup will be mostly their U18 team, as they only have U23 & U18 leagues below the first team

Be a bit like our under 18's playing in the tunnocks tea-cake cup instead of our development squad

Can't speak of the rest of the teams but I know the Leeds team that lost 7-0 was their U18 team, captained by 17 year old new signing Charlie Allen(had been linked with us and is a Rangers fan).
Leeds had planned a bounce game between their u21s and their first team which was deemed more important than the efl trophy match.

Men against boys. A couple of young players can be good , but they teams will always struggle against full professional senior players.
We’ve posted this type of thing for the last few years.
Only our kids run to the semi finals is the exception.
This proves, as I posted last year, that playing the youth on the way back up wouldn’t have worked as easily or readily as some thought.

Sheltered academy boys no doubt playing football the correct way, however sometimes good beats evil. I remember our young cubs sticking to the hammer throwers of Solihull last season! If nothing else it should be a motivation to embrace your chance at the top of the tree or it's getting smashed around the kneecaps on a Tuesday night up at Grimsby for a living

Watford fucked my coupon last night away to Newport County.

Hope they get relegated.

I have done not too bad the last couple of seasons betting against the under 21s

usually get decent prices as well

Back