UEFA away goals rule

Its gone and I cant help but feel that we will be fucked over by it at some point.

I dont think it was as relevant as it maybe used to be but taking away the Away Goal also in my opinion takes away the benefit of being at home second.

Surely its a benefit being at home 2nd? If it goes to ET and or penalties you have the home crowd
It also means that you cant get the away goal and sit in on the counter at Home, the benefit of ET and Pens at Home is still a plus.

It will change the way away teams take on the match 100%. Doesnt matter if you concede 5 but score 4 now.

It also means that you cant get the away goal and sit in on the counter at Home, the benefit of ET and Pens at Home is still a plus.

It will change the way away teams take on the match 100%. Doesnt matter if you concede 5 but score 4 now.
I think it will benefit us tbh. Teams wont sit in and try and hit us on the counter so will open up space for likes of Kent and Wright. Time will tell but imo it will suit the way Gerrard wants us to play

Gone thankfully

It's been a long time since playing at home was such a major advantage

It's not like players are traveling across Europe in bone rattling aircraft anymore

Agree, knowing if you have that away goal makes it a lot more comfortable - Thats not gone which is my point.
That's true.
Maybe it's one of those things where its 50-50.

If we lose the away 1st leg 1-0 for example and they score in the 2nd leg then we need 3 goals in the 90 minutes against a team that will definitely park the bus.

Like the match against Legia there 2 seasons ago. If they'd scored with say 15 minutes to go we'd need 2 goals then.

I think it's better for us without the away goals as most of our Euro ties will be tight.

Glad it's gone.
Can't remember too many occasions when it's helped us.
All I think of is Steau Bucharest scoring after about 2 mins.
Levski Sofia and Sparta Prague in extra time.
We probably have gone through on away goals but nothing springing to mind just now.

Hurt us badly in 2002 against that Zivkov mob too.

For balance it helped us against Panathinaikos in 2008 but I’m delighted it’s gone.

Glad it's gone.
We probably have gone through on away goals but nothing springing to mind just now.
Sporting Lisbon 2011. Edu goal in added time to make it 2-2 and a win on away goals. Rangers end went beserk when we had 4 players queueing to tap it in ;)

Will lead to a lot more extra time and penalty deciders. Stupid idea to remove the away goal role.

It has gone.
Just have to get on with it.
Will work both ways.
No more sitting there after an away team scores and not seeing a way back into the game.
Or the pleasure that an away goals gives us.

Aye, I've still to get it in my head who it benefits most. The immediate shouts seemed to be it's just done to suit big teams like it's a grand conspiracy but I'm not sure that's the case.

I think years back it was the case you wanted to be away first, get a positive enough result then beat a team at home.

Then it came to the point where folk realised you're better being at home first (and not concede as the primary aim) then get a score draw / better away as we did so well in 2008.

You're probably now better having the 2nd game at home as, if it does go to ET, you've got 30 minutes of home advanatge then too.

Dunno if it'll guarantee more ET and Penalties. Teams will play differently with away goals not applying. Think we'll see different results on the basis of how teams approach a game now.

Sporting Lisbon 2011. Edu goal in added time to make it 2-2 and a win on away goals. Rangers end went beserk when we had 4 players queueing to tap it in ;)
You forgot to mention Ricky Foster’s wonderful footwork in the buildup to that goal :)

I know UEFA pulled out some statistics to justify getting rid of away goals, but we know that they're only motivated by money and protecting their elite clubs, so I'm willing to look for ulterior motives.

The first is that an increased number of games will now go to extra time and penalties. There's no reason to think that games now won't resemble the last twenty minutes of the Euros final, which was England and Italy just passing the ball about, waiting for penalties (4 out of the last 7 games in the Euros went to extra time or penalties). If UEFA can get teams on the pitch for an extra 45 minutes for extra time and penalties, it's more advertising, more commercials, more people watching for longer, etc. It's a financial decision taken to elongate the amount of team UEFA competitions are on screen.

I also think it's UEFA re-asserting their tournaments as the elite competition for European teams. I always saw away goals as a compromise from UEFA towards their member associations because it protects many teams from having to play for longer. Getting rid of away goals (coupled with the increased number of games teams now play in the Champions' League) leads to football associations having to compromise on their own competitions (no replays, getting rid of a competition altogether, etc), which re-establishes UEFA competitions as the bee all and end all of football in European.

The final reason is that it's there to mitigate against the risk of an elite team going out to some minnow flinging 11 players behind the ball and holding on for dear life. We know, for instance, that Agneilli is influential with UEFA and it's hard not to see him pushing for the removal of away goals when it's knocked his own team out after unfancied away goal defeats to Lyon and Porto.

I would prefer the old glasgow charity cup if still level, corners counted and most won, gave the most attacking team the benefit, would not be popular on here but hey its a forum.

Our record isn't good with away goals as we have lost 6 out of 9 ties settled by this method compared with 3 penalty shoot out wins out of 4. So we might be happy to see the back of the away goals rule?

Its gone and I cant help but feel that we will be fucked over by it at some point.

I dont think it was as relevant as it maybe used to be but taking away the Away Goal also in my opinion takes away the benefit of being at home second.
Don't see it that way mate. Get a 0-0 away and you effectively have a one off match at home to go through with no worry of going out on away goals.

For me it encouraged nervy or even defensive home teams rather than attacking away teams which was the original idea for implementing it so I'm glad it's gone to be honest.

We would have a play off round game for the europa league.

Beat Malmo and we're guaranteed europa group stage football regardless of the next round.
We are guaranteed group stage football regardless. Lose to Malmo, then lose Europa play off we still get Conference League group stages
Not the worst position to be in.
Still fancy us to make Champions League. Gerrard knows :)

Glad it's gone.
1971 on the way to barcelona, v sporting 3-2 Ibrox 3-4 away put us through on the new away goals rule, despite the ref wrongly taking it to penalties, the rest is history

I'm glad it's gone. Forces teams to go for it now

I think it'll have an opposite effect. Two teams drawing 1-1 on aggregate with twenty minutes to go have no reason to go for it. It's why we see a significant number of games in the Copa America, World Cup and Euros go to extra time and penalties.

For me it encouraged nervy or even defensive home teams rather than attacking away teams which was the original idea for implementing it so I'm glad it's gone to be honest.
I disagree on point 1, and agree point 2. It was brought in to decide drawn ties which previously were decided via a coin toss and before that logistical nightmare play offs. The ''encourage away teams to attack'' was merely a defence against those who didn't like it from the outset. Like you I'm glad it's gone, surely we should be pleased that ties drawn after 180 minutes of football will now be decided by actual football means rather than an archaic rule brought in 50 odd years ago.

Still not sure if I like the idea of this rule being dumped. Most of us have grown up with this rule in place and are used to it.

Time will tell......

Glad it's gone.
The run to winning the Cup Winners Cup is one minor benefit we had - in Lisbon.

Level at full time go to sudden death extra time, just keep playing til somebody scores. Next goals the winner as we used to call it.

Some games could go for days without a goal.

We are just as likely to benefit from it than be fucked over by it tbh.

If tie goes to ET it's an advantage, that's why I thought the away goal rule was a bit of an evener in close ties, get one in ET and it'll be hard to beat.

It has gone.
Just have to get on with it.
Will work both ways.
No more sitting there after an away team scores and not seeing a way back into the game.
Or the pleasure that an away goals gives us.
The rule was brought in to discourage away teams from boring the home fans with parking the bus tactics. We went through against Sporting Lisbon in '72 due to the rule being in force, going on to win the cup. If it wasn't in force then our history would be different, we would have been out after extra time in Lisbon.

W.A.T.P.

I like the unique dynamic this gave European football, will be a ton of games going to extra time and penalties now which isn’t good for us with our schedule and penalty record.

I think removing the away goals actually places more emphasis on having the 2nd leg at home, there is less pressure as losing a goal doesn’t make a huge difference to the tie as it is likely more games will be settled in extra time and penalties .

Back