UEFA coefficient

Corkinator

I’ve been keeping an eye on the coefficient recently and Scotland’s for UEFA comps is at 12th, which most of us know. Have we ever been higher in recent times?
Anyway, I was thinking about other Scottish teams in Europe and how much I always want them beat, heavily, but, is this just cutting our noses off to spite our faces?
could you or do you support other Scottish teams doing well in Europe?
Should we start trying to support other Scottish teams in Europe?
I don’t know if I can but it would really help us if they did better.

Scottish football “didn’t need or want us “ it has suffered as a result it is only now we are back much to their disgust that the co efficient is getting better they will never admit it tho so in answer to your question I think we all know who has cut their noses to spite their face

Don't think supporting them would make a blind bit of difference. Like wee davie the bluenose wanting motherwell to beat beer sheeva wouldn't have changed the outcome, the problem is the other teams in this country are utter pish and given the contempt these clubs have shown towards us I'll never be anything but happy at them getting pumped out.

Would be fine by me if the likes of Aberdeen or Motherwell managed to somehow get through to the group stages.

tenor.gif

I’ve been keeping an eye on the coefficient recently and Scotland’s for UEFA comps is at 12th, which most of us know. Have we ever been higher in recent times?
Anyway, I was thinking about other Scottish teams in Europe and how much I always want them beat, heavily, but, is this just cutting our noses off to spite our faces?
I used to have this kind of existential angst about this sort of thing, and then I realised that whether I want them to win or not, it has no actual impact on it. Makes it easier to laugh at them.

The teams that finish 3 and 4 are going into the conference league rather than the Europa League. They might have a better chance at a slightly lower level. Although from memory, the diddy teams got pumped in the intertoto cup as well

I usually want the other teams to do well in europe, I like celtic getting beat in europe but as long as we match or better their result I don't mind what they do :)

Us as a fan base have no real influence on others clubs' performance in Europe unless you are considering funding them by your attendance. Their ability to get results comes within themselves and their ambitions to compete at that level.

I want to see the scum humiliated in Europe every time I watch them. If they win then atleast we gain collective coefficient points.

I always think it would be good if celtic done decent in Europe (knocked out before us tho) but as soon as it comes to their game I just cant help but wanting them to get pumped.

If Celtic need money, they’ll just sell a player. Their accounts are fine. The idea that half a million quid will make any difference is wishful thinking.

Their position is deteriorating but it’s far from problematic.
Mate, there own accounts showed that they lost over 400 thousand pounds per week last season.

They have increased their wage bill since.

Selling a player every year to cover a 20 million plus black hole isn't the best way to run a business i would say.

Always want the scum beat and any other teams to win. It's not that I want to see them do well it's just the pragmatism that we need them to keep accruing co-efficient points or we'll slip back down the table again. As we get more successfull we have more teams in Europe but that also means our points are divided over the extra teams we have as well so we need them to do something.

If Celtic need money, they’ll just sell a player. Their accounts are fine. The idea that half a million quid will make any difference is wishful thinking.

Yeh, as you say the point is they would be under much more pressure to sell an Edouard in January which could be huge for title race. I don't think Lennon is going anywhere either way right now.

Can’t see the tramps boosting any coefficient tonight.

I really don’t give so much as a fart about their result but anything that gives them hope should be discouraged.

If they get a result the media will be back to this ‘tramps are a CL team’ nonsense and that does make me cringe.

Couldn't give a flying fcuk about the coefficient, what will be will be.
Just want everyone else in this tinpot, bigoted league to get gubbed.
Hate thinking about their fans enjoying watching their team play and seeing how delighted they are to qualify for Europe, so when they play and get humped, this makes me happy.
Never forgive, never forget.

Scotland was up to 10th after our run to Manchester if you want to call that recent times. We made £65m that season as well iirc.

Last edited:
I see that Scottish Cup winners get a Europa League qualifier spot. What happens if same team wins the league and the cup? Who does the Europa spot go to?

Always want Scottish clubs to do well, with the exception of celtic. However as long as we do well in europe, then it benefits us if they qualify for group stages as well. 1. They play similar amount of games as us so no advantage that way. 2. Help coefficient and easier access to CL or EL group stages. However once they are in the group, i want them pumped every single game!

Mate, there own accounts showed that they lost over 400 thousand pounds per week last season.

They have increased their wage bill since.

Selling a player every year to cover a 20 million plus black hole isn't the best way to run a business i would say.
Someone should tell our board then, because that’s exactly the position we’re aiming to get to.

I see that Scottish Cup winners get a Europa League qualifier spot. What happens if same team wins the league and the cup? Who does the Europa spot go to?

Scottish Cup winners always get a spot

It goes the next highest place team after the Champions League places so 3rd place will get for 2020/21 if Scottish Cup winner are League Champions also

What difference does it make if we support them or not? They will still go out, play their game from the dark ages and end up
embarrassing Scotland - as always.

Not really Buff.

We could play in the EL Group each year & go close to breaking even now.

They would lose money every year even if they make the EL Group stages, without the big sale.
But we're not aiming to maintain this revenue base forever, because otherwise we'd operate at a permanent disadvantage to Celtic and would win less titles than them over the long run.

Our intention is to get into exactly the same position as they are now. Run at a loss and either sell a player, make the CL or have the cash to sustain it.

Scottish football “didn’t need or want us “ it has suffered as a result it is only now we are back much to their disgust that the co efficient is getting better they will never admit it tho so in answer to your question I think we all know who has cut their noses to spite their face
Bang on Bigamo, where was the cry about the potential impact on the co-efficient when they were voting to destroy our club ...... a*reholes each and every one so f*ck the co-efficient and the hierarchy, we will do it on our own as we always do !!!

As others have said, us wanting them to do well has no bearing on how they actually do. They are shite!

Missing out on £500K per group stage game is a problem for them as they probably delusionally expected CL money

Reality is, as we have proved the last two season, Rangers and Celtic need to pick up coefficient points for it to benefit the league as a whole.

Im quite happy for Celtic to have a CL budget but only make the Europa League each season.

Then for us to win 55 and thanks to our own achievements in Europe, qualify for the CL group stages.

Quite happy with that...

But we're not aiming to maintain this revenue base forever, because otherwise we'd operate at a permanent disadvantage to Celtic and would win less titles than them over the long run.

Our intention is to get into exactly the same position as they are now. Run at a loss and either sell a player, make the CL or have the cash to sustain it.
There is no way we are wanting to run at a loss.

From a high level, we are adopting their approach of buy low, sell high, I do agree.

However I don’t see us going anywhere close to their salary level player wise. We have improved our squad depth really well, but reduced it in size, so our costs shouldn’t have increased too much ?

And of course Lawwell & his cohorts are taking bigger salaries that our ‘Management’, such as Robertson too.

It appears to me that Rangers return to European football n doing well is boosting the coefficient. But by doing this is it helping Celtic too? If 55 comes this year would the boosted coefficient give Celtic a CL place too?

The only ones I want routinely pumped are the mentally challengeds, but if they win then it helps us anyway. The rest I'd rather see pick up results for our benefit.
And we saw how poor murderwell were after their trip to Israel a few weeks ago. I'm more than happy for other teams to get wee EL runs.

There is no way we are wanting to run at a loss.
We've ran at a loss for years and without doing so we cannot and will not bridge the financial gap to them. We have no choice.

From a high level, we are adopting their approach of buy low, sell high, I do agree.

However I don’t see us going anywhere close to their salary level player wise. We have improved our squad depth really well, but reduced it in size, so our costs shouldn’t have increased too much ?

And of course Lawwell & his cohorts are taking bigger salaries that our ‘Management’, such as Robertson too.
We have to get close to what they're spending salary wise. If we don't, there will be a clear gap between us and them over the long run. They'll have better players than us.

Now their salaries will likely come down as ours increase, but ultimately that's just going to change the size of the loss before player trading/CL money, rather than change whether we have a loss at all.

It appears to me that Rangers return to European football n doing well is boosting the coefficient. But by doing this is it helping Celtic too? If 55 comes this year would the boosted coefficient give Celtic a CL place too?
Yes they if finish 2nd

The past 2 seasons have been good for Scottish football both us and them have ensured that the country co-effiecent has went up

Would be fine by me if the likes of Aberdeen or Motherwell managed to somehow get through to the group stages.
Irish league sides have qualified 3 times (I think) in the past 9 years, so once every 3 years! I think other Scottish teams have made it just the once and that was Aberdeen about 14 years ago. Our game is a disgrace from National team, SFA, SPL, SPFL, Rangers hating clubs and grass roots football

Head - Rangers deserve to play in a respectable league and right now we just don't. I want the others barring them to do well so we don't have to listen to the same tired old farmers league nonsense and earn some well deserved respect and money. Mostly the money in fact.

Heart - They've stood by and let the filth ruin our game. No word about the biggest scandal in British sporting history, allowing their people to ruin us, putting the boot on our neck out of spite and then allowing them to dictate the outcome of a league that hadn't even finished.

Hand - WATP and what anyone else does matters fa to me.

Safe to say I'm somewhat conflicted on the matter.

Last edited:
Back