UEFA coefficient

So if we win the league, will we be seeded in the CL quilfier? Surely our coefficient is rising as a club?

For me its a quid quo pro. If they win it improves co-efficient so ultimately helps us in latter years. Its a very small silver lining to the black cloud of media fawning over themselves when the scum win in Europe and become world beaters.

We've ran at a loss for years and without doing so we cannot and will not bridge the financial gap to them. We have no choice.

We have to get close to what they're spending salary wise. If we don't, there will be a clear gap between us and them over the long run. They'll have better players than us.

Now their salaries will likely come down as ours increase, but ultimately that's just going to change the size of the loss before player trading/CL money, rather than change whether we have a loss at all.

I disagree that we have to get our salaries to their level Buff. I’d suggest that the optimum squad size for us is very close to where we now are, with a couple out & a couple of upgrades in.

To me, we already have a squad that can be successful, with a little injury luck.

The Castore deal & the EL Group money, coupled with the SD bullshit ending, means we should now be very close to break even if you ignore the directors notional interest, which is a reasonable thing to do.

Recent threads on here also suggest that we have a player pool value of maybe close to 100m, so there is good reason to think that purchases & sales over the next 5 years anyway won’t be a net cash outflow too.

To me we are very close to a workable medium to long term successful position.

So if we win the league, will we be seeded in the CL quilfier? Surely our coefficient is rising as a club?
We won't really know until the season has ended but for QR3 based on this season yes out current coefficient is 19.250

All down to which teams are actually in

Motherwell's, Aberdeen's, Hibs etc are fucking it for us all. Rangers and Celtic are doing their bit, we are definitely doing more than expected and Celtic are doing less than expected because of their easy draw for the CL which they fucked. However we need at least one other team to have a decent run in Europe to start really progressing Scotland into the top 10. Otherwise Rangers and Celtic will need to reach the semi's of the CL or EL to ever get us into the top 10 or for other nations above us to start performing extremely poorly.

I disagree that we have to get our salaries to their level Buff. I’d suggest that the optimum squad size for us is very close to where we now are, with a couple out & a couple of upgrades in.

To me, we already have a squad that can be successful, with a little injury luck.

The Castore deal & the EL Group money, coupled with the SD bullshit ending, means we should now be very close to break even if you ignore the directors notional interest, which is a reasonable thing to do.

Recent threads on here also suggest that we have a player pool value of maybe close to 100m, so there is good reason to think that purchases & sales over the next 5 years anyway won’t be a net cash outflow too.

To me we are very close to a workable medium to long term successful position.
The correlation between wage expenditure and league position is well established. If we do not spend what they do, they will win more than we do.

And increasing wage expenditure doesn't necessarily mean increasing squad size - it means increasing wages for existing players to maximise value and to recruit even better players.

The directors are fully aware of this. It's long been our goal to get into a position where we're selling a player or making the CL groups to cover the wage bill. Because if we're doing so, it means we have a squad of really good players that are successful.

We either bridge the gap or accept winning the odd league every five years.

Scottish football “didn’t need or want us “ it has suffered as a result it is only now we are back much to their disgust that the co efficient is getting better they will never admit it tho so in answer to your question I think we all know who has cut their noses to spite their face
correct mate

5 teams means any Rangers points are multiplied by 0.2 rather than 0.25 as now.

In reality Rangers have 2 seasons of tiny coefficient returns yet to be wiped off - so Scotland should continue to rise for 2 more years at least.

Next season when we go for 56 - could well mean automatic entry into the group stage.

That would be a bigger deal than stop the 4.75 or what ever.

I don't support them but I do want every Scottish team to do well in Europe.

Better coefficient makes it easier for us to qualify. Also improves quality of the league and helps us attract better players and sponsorship.

I would love the diddy teams to start regularly qualifying for group stages. None of them are going to win it.

Celtic on the other hand. I don't want to see in CL but don't mind them having an extended run in the Europa. Gives them extra games to play. It's a win, win. Either they get pumped and I can laugh at them like last week or they win and they boost our coefficient too.

The correlation between wage expenditure and league position is well established. If we do not spend what they do, they will win more than we do.

And increasing wage expenditure doesn't necessarily mean increasing squad size - it means increasing wages for existing players to maximise value and to recruit even better players.

The directors are fully aware of this. It's long been our goal to get into a position where we're selling a player or making the CL groups to cover the wage bill. Because if we're doing so, it means we have a squad of really good players that are successful.

I know what you’re saying but just think it’s a big simplification, and that it assumes that money spent will directly equate to performance which doesn’t happen nearly as much as the theory suggests.

I could give many examples but I’m sure you know them anyway.

And if you suggest you have board or management contacts that suggest that’s our objective, then I’m disappointed in them.

"Clubs should play fringe players in Europe. Why risk their best players when there is no hope of getting to the business end of the competitions?"

This was said to me by a Kilmarnock fan when I said the other Scottish teams needed to do better in Europe. Stupid, small club mentality.

If Celtic pick up a win tonight and it extends Lennons stay of execution by a week or two, that’s a good outcome for us.

I won’t be cheering for that, but I’ll be absolutely fine with it if it happens

I dont mean to sound like I'm having a go mate, but I dont understand why anyone thinks Lennons job is remotely in trouble. They are 3pts behind if they win their game in hand and hes won* every trophy hes went for. Its a complete fallacy to suggest hes even remotely under pressure of the sack. He could lose his next 2 games and still not be in any danger whatsoever of losing his job. Its a narrative being pushed by the mhanks who see their precious "ten" being thrown away.

They are hemorrhaging money, so if they did sack him. Thats more money down the pan, then they would be under pressure to replace him with a "name" so thats more money. They don't have it, and quite honestly Lennons a useful patsy for their board to throw under a bus when we win 55.

Sorry about the rant. I just keep seeing this narrative appear, and supposed bears hoping they win games to keep him in a job that hes not even in danger of losing in the first place

It is not about how much you spend, it is about how wisely you spend it

I know what you’re saying but just think it’s a big simplification, and that it assumes that money spent will directly equate to performance which doesn’t happen nearly as much as the theory suggests.

And if you suggest you have board or management contacts that suggest that’s our objective, then I’m disappointed in them.
It's the only logical solution. If you think that we're simply going to remain more efficient than Celtic forever then that's significantly more unrealistic than anything I've proposed.

If Celtic pick up a win tonight and it extends Lennons stay of execution by a week or two, that’s a good outcome for us.

I won’t be cheering for that, but I’ll be absolutely fine with it if it happens
Same sentiments here mate - so long as the poets win or drop enough points that helps the coefficient, but dumps them out at the group stage, I’m happy.

As much as I enjoy seeing them take a shoeing in Europe, having them in the group stage keeps them occupied whilst they still have to take care of domestic games. And at present, with the Sheep and Hiv’s breathing down their neck, they are under serious pressure....... which is nice.

It's critical to spend money efficiently. Celtic have been really wasteful with all the millions they got through entry in to the CL by default with ridiculous purchases, a huge squad and overpaid numpties. We can't and won't do that.

Buy low, develop, sell high, invest, build.

Last edited:
I dont mean to sound like I'm having a go mate, but I dont understand why anyone thinks Lennons job is remotely in trouble. They are 3pts behind if they win their game in hand and hes won* every trophy hes went for. Its a complete fallacy to suggest hes even remotely under pressure of the sack. He could lose his next 2 games and still not be in any danger whatsoever of losing his job. Its a narrative being pushed by the mhanks who see their precious "ten" being thrown away.

They are hemorrhaging money, so if they did sack him. Thats more money down the pan, then they would be under pressure to replace him with a "name" so thats more money. They don't have it, and quite honestly Lennons a useful patsy for their board to throw under a bus when we win 55.

Sorry about the rant. I just keep seeing this narrative appear, and supposed bears hoping they win games to keep him in a job that hes not even in danger of losing in the first place
Celtic's underlying numbers are awful, where ours are very good. It looks as if the teams have flip-flopped from Gerrards first season.

Neil Lennon getting the sack is only a matter of time unless he can arrest Celtic's poor performances and get them playing within a system again. He's shown absolutely no ability to do that.

His sacking is not a case of if, but when.

"Clubs should play fringe players in Europe. Why risk their best players when there is no hope of getting to the business end of the competitions?"

This was said to me by a Kilmarnock fan when I said the other Scottish teams needed to do better in Europe. Stupid, small club mentality.
There’s no hope of them getting to the business end of the league either so when do they play their “best” players? :))

Question for the uber staunch.
Are you happy playing 4 qualifiers? Last season started on July 10th ffs, this impacts our players not having a proper summer or enough of a break before pre season. It could be argued we simply suffered burn out in January as a result.
If we win the league this year next season starts August 10th with 2 qualifiers. Whether you like it or not, Scotland requires both us and them doing well to maintain our standing at a level where less qualifiers are required.

coefficient ???
All going to plan, we win league then automatic entry to CL. Go in at any level, we have proved we can qualify from preliminary rounds. Don’t give any Scottish club opportunity to make money. Think only if ourselves, nobody cared about us.

I don't care at all about the other clubs in Scotland they tried to kill my club. However I love Rangers and I want what's best for us, and if Scottish teams were to start doing well in Europe it would hugely benefit us. Entry into more prestigious competitions at later stages with more prize money is the direct benefit. But there are tons of indirect benefits, the revenue those teams earned would allow them to build better sides which would raise the quality of the league we play in. This in turn would generate higher television and sponsorship revenues for us. Its a virtuous circle. All that said I still smile when Celtic and Aberdeen lose.

Don't think supporting them would make a blind bit of difference. Like wee davie the bluenose wanting motherwell to beat beer sheeva wouldn't have changed the outcome, the problem is the other teams in this country are utter pish and given the contempt these clubs have shown towards us I'll never be anything but happy at them getting pumped out.
They deserve all they get. They are so blind in their hatred for us that they can't see the bigger picture. On balance and for the sake of the Co efficient there's no one else to lay a glove on any European counterparts but them and even they have been shown up big time.

Celtic's underlying numbers are awful, where ours are very good. It looks as if the teams have flip-flopped from Gerrards first season.

Neil Lennon getting the sack is only a matter of time unless he can arrest Celtic's poor performances and get them playing within a system again. He's shown absolutely no ability to do that.

His sacking is not a case of if, but when.

I disagree mate. For as bad as theyve played and outwith the old firm theyve only dropped 4pts. The same number as us. Bad performances aren't relevant if they get results. I actually expect them to take maximum points before we play them again.

Heres a scenario as well, we could easily drop points against Kille, then momentum could swing back their way.

We should want them to lose every single game, and hope they turn on themselves and implode. That means to hell with the coefficient I hope Lille scud them tonight

It makes no odds whether we support the other teams or we don’t, it doesn’t matter.
These teams will either win or they won’t, so the co-efficient will either go up or it won’t. No amount of support from Rangers fans will make a jot of difference.
If they do well and it helps us, then woo woo! If they don’t then oh well....
For the record, I hope they all get humped.....but again, if I hope they all do well.....it makes no odds to what actually happens

I disagree mate. For as bad as theyve played and outwith the old firm theyve only dropped 4pts. The same number as us. Bad performances aren't relevant if they get results. I actually expect them to take maximum points before we play them again.

Heres a scenario as well, we could easily drop points against Kille, then momentum could swing back their way.

We should want them to lose every single game, and hope they turn on themselves and implode. That means to hell with the coefficient I hope Lille scud them tonight
You can disagree all you like, the facts are their underlying numbers are terrible and if they continue on this trajectory they will drop more points than us.

The only thing that can save Lennon and Celtic is if they can improve those numbers. But they're still declining, so that's unlikely.

You can disagree all you like, the facts are their underlying numbers are terrible and if they continue on this trajectory they will drop more points than us.

The only thing that can save Lennon and Celtic is if they can improve those numbers. But they're still declining, so that's unlikely.

What underlying numbers mate?

I won't support any other Scottish team in Europe, but for the mos part I don't actively want them to get pumped (celtic aside).

Some interesting takes. I wasn’t trying to advocate supporting the other teams in Europe I was just thinking it’s a bit of a catch 22.
I don’t believe we ever get the credit we deserve at any level by the legacy media in Scotland.
yet they are fawned over at every step, even a 6-1 defeat is seen as a result for them!

Not a chance, I want them all pumped, see if you have a look on other teams forums and there comments about us and how they want us to do in our games then you’ll come to terms with how you want them to do!!

xG, xGA, xGD, xG/Attempt, xG from Build up play.

All of these numbers have absolutely cratered for them since last season. In fact, their xGD/90 is almost half of ours, which means they'll be constantly playing in closer games than we are.

When you're playing in closer games, variance is higher and you'll drop more points.
Despite all their claims otherwise, Celtic have been riding their luck for most of this season.

I think most on here are looking solely at our and their co- efficient and completely give the sheep, killie and Motherwell some slack, where the reality is if they actually won a couple of games instead of continuing to be knock out in the first round our co-efficient will increase

Scottish football in a nutshell. The prize is getting into top six so they get one more home game versus us or the dark side. That is the full extent of their ambition.

Why not play their best players in Europe and maybe gain a little exposure and praise for the Scottish game? They have virtually zero chance of getting to the business end of domestic competitions

In the sixties we had the like of Dundee and Dunfermline in 1/4 and semi finals in European competitions. Scottish clubs in general were expected top challenge for 1/4 final places at least. In today's game that is equivalent to getting to EL groups.

Now we have Kilmarnock, the third best side in Scotland at the time and lauded for their domestic efforts, getting pumped out of EL qualifying by Bala. BALA! at home!!!

Reality is, as we have proved the last two season, Rangers and Celtic need to pick up coefficient points for it to benefit the league as a whole.

Im quite happy for Celtic to have a CL budget but only make the Europa League each season.

Then for us to win 55 and thanks to our own achievements in Europe, qualify for the CL group stages.

Quite happy with that...
you're happy for selic to get into europe every year??
is there a virus infecting people on this board?

It really is time that Aberdeen, Hibs, Motherwell, Kilmarnock etc. who during the season, are desperate to get into Europe, start to get their finger out to build a team and coach tactics for making a go of European competition.
Hammer throwing can only fail. The referees do not, on the whole, find rough house tactics acceptable, so change is needed to stop them being beaten by teams from ROI, Wales, San Marino etc.
They do not need to like it, but surely they are waking up to the positive effect that Rangers are having - that can only be to the benefit of Scottish football.
Whilst I really do not give a monkeys chuff about the other Scottish teams, it would be nice to get some help with the coefficient.

I am never going to vocally or financially support another team never mind in Europe. I'm not opposed to other teams out with them getting to a certain point in Europe to assist the coefficient.

In my ideal world we routinely qualify for the champs league, make the last 16 on a good year, or finish 3rd into Europa and have a run.

That lot plus your Aberdeen's Hibs etc can all make group stages of there respective competitions be it Europa or this new competition, just enough to top up coefficient points and keep the Scottish level around 10-12th (if 10th is achievable)

To be honest mate it depends by what you mean by won every trophy. The league cup was won by a clear offside goal. The league was awarded to them .to if he wins the Scottish cup then he has only legitimately won one trophy from last season.

We won't really know until the season has ended but for QR3 based on this season yes out current coefficient is 19.250

All down to which teams are actually in

We should be on around 25 points next season?

Potentially could be seeded for the play off round as well with that co-efficient. Assuming we win the league of course.

Despite all their claims otherwise, Celtic have been riding their luck for most of this season.

They have. They have been abysmal in nearly every away game. They won't get away with late goals every week. Unless the way they are playing improves they will continue to drop points.

Back