UEFA coefficient

It really is time that Aberdeen, Hibs, Motherwell, Kilmarnock etc. who during the season, are desperate to get into Europe, start to get their finger out to build a team and coach tactics for making a go of European competition.
Hammer throwing can only fail. The referees do not, on the whole, find rough house tactics acceptable, so change is needed to stop them being beaten by teams from ROI, Wales, San Marino etc.
They do not need to like it, but surely they are waking up to the positive effect that Rangers are having - that can only be to the benefit of Scottish football.
Whilst I really do not give a monkeys chuff about the other Scottish teams, it would be nice to get some help with the coefficient.
Agreed. If the other clubs change to style more suitable in Europe, they are more likely to progress, benefiting us and them (the other clubs - celtc can take care of themselves).

It also means that the scottish product is more saleable. The reality of the TV deal is they are paying for 4 OF games. That's all. Who, outside their own fans, want to watch St Mirren play Hamilton?

And if the football quality improves, perhaps more people will actually go to a game when this pandemic is done. The prices charged for SPFL football are ludicrous for the product on offer.

The business model of the likes of Aberdeen, who are content to have several thousand empty seats against us and the dark side that could easily be filled with Bears or Orcs, is pitiful. 4 x OF visits at 5000 more paying customers each visit is a lot of cash to buy one more better player, or a better contract offers to keep their best player.

I see often the claim that per head of population Scotland has the highest per game attendance in Europe. This is put forward to suggest that Scottish football is somehow good. The stats are skewed ridiculously by the attendances at Rangers and them. Take us away and Scottish football is shown up for the sh*te that it really is.

We should be on around 25 points next season?

Potentially could be seeded for the play off round as well with that co-efficient. Assuming we win the league of course.
Depends what we do points wise and how long we are in the competition to make that achievable after that it depends which other teams are in the play-off round - a win tonight helps

If other Scottish teams got to the group stages and never won any games would that not damage the coefficient by improving the points gained by their opponents?
I've always thought that the likes of Aberdeen and Motherwell not getting through their qualification rounds was a blessing in the long run.

In the 60s and 70s we were regularly in the top10 and have reached our highest position 3rd 3 times I’m sure.

For this season to have a chance of an automatic group stage place in the CL season after next, we need Turkish and Ukrainian teams to have a bad year.

We should outperform turkey which would have us 12th, but Ukraine is maybe a step too far as they have shakhtar and Dinamo Kiev who will likely still be in Europa post christmas

I’ve been keeping an eye on the coefficient recently and Scotland’s for UEFA comps is at 12th, which most of us know. Have we ever been higher in recent times?
Anyway, I was thinking about other Scottish teams in Europe and how much I always want them beat, heavily, but, is this just cutting our noses off to spite our faces?
could you or do you support other Scottish teams doing well in Europe?
Should we start trying to support other Scottish teams in Europe?
I don’t know if I can but it would really help us if they did better.
Having a 5th euro place will damage our coefficient as dross get KOd early but our points get divided by 5 not 4.

Is that definitely accurate? I hadn’t really considered it? How many out and in during the latest window.

Bloody hell, you’ve got me there.

Balogun
Roofe
McLaughlin
Itten
Bassey
Zungu

McCrorie
Halliday
Wes
Holt
Kamberi
Flanagan
Docherty
Alnwick
Murphy

That’s just off of the top of my head, and ignoring the Hagi purchase as we had him available in our squad last season.

Last edited:
It's critical to spend money efficiently. Celtic have been really wasteful with all the millions they got through entry in to the CL by default with ridiculous purchases, a huge squad and overpaid numpties. We can't and won't do that.

Buy low, develop, sell high, invest, build.

Exactly FMP, and the signs on your very point are encouraging.

Strickland Banks started a really good thread recently where the general consensus was that our squad have developed to a stage where we might have 90-100m of sellable assets for when the time is right.

As long as Wilson manages contracts right, that adds a major security to our club we didn’t have two years ago.

Reactions: fmp
I disagree mate. For as bad as theyve played and outwith the old firm theyve only dropped 4pts. The same number as us. Bad performances aren't relevant if they get results. I actually expect them to take maximum points before we play them again.
The point he's making is that they were extremely lucky to get all those points when the performances weren't justifying it. They had quite a few games where they relied on late goals or opponents missing sitters.

I think what we are seeing now is that the performances they've been churning out are starting to get them the results they deserve in terms of their play.

We should be on around 25 points next season?

Potentially could be seeded for the play off round as well with that co-efficient. Assuming we win the league of course.
I think we need to overtake Red Star Belgrade if we want to be 100% guaranteed of being seeded in the 3rd and 4th CL champions path ties.

We are 6.25 behind them so we need to get 6.25 more than them this season to overtake them. It's not actually impossible if we get out the group and they don't.

Otherwise we might be needing an upset in QR3 to be seeded for QR4.

All of this is only if we win the league of course.

I’ve been keeping an eye on the coefficient recently and Scotland’s for UEFA comps is at 12th, which most of us know. Have we ever been higher in recent times?
Anyway, I was thinking about other Scottish teams in Europe and how much I always want them beat, heavily, but, is this just cutting our noses off to spite our faces?
Can see where you are coming from your are looking at the bigger picture where if every team does better we all benefit , you like a lot of people sound unselfish in your thinking but I can’t help to thinking back to what was done to our great club

Bang on Bigamo, where was the cry about the potential impact on the co-efficient when they were voting to destroy our club ...... a*reholes each and every one so f*ck the co-efficient and the hierarchy, we will do it on our own as we always do !!!
Exactly mate ! I couldn’t give a jot about anyone or anything in Scottish football bar rangers and that’s all their own doing

I was quite happy when Aberdeen won the cup winners cup and I was quite gutted when Dundee Utd lost out to Roma in the European Cup semi final.Now not so much,if it benefits us that would be the only circumstance I would want to them to win.As far as celtic go I want them pumped out as soon as possible.

From next year we need to carry 3 teams instead of 2. As countries like Turkey etc have found, outside of the biggest leagues, who have all the dice loaded in their favour, it is easier to gain the extra champions league slot than it is to keep it. Other teams need to start helping us and themselves out. At the moment they're virtually dead weight and it just got heavier.

Scottish Cup winners always get a spot

It goes the next highest place team after the Champions League places so 3rd place will get for 2020/21 if Scottish Cup winner are League Champions also
Didn’t it used to be the beaten finalist.:rolleyes:

The point he's making is that they were extremely lucky to get all those points when the performances weren't justifying it. They had quite a few games where they relied on late goals or opponents missing sitters.

I think what we are seeing now is that the performances they've been churning out are starting to get them the results they deserve in terms of their play.
Agreed, said that run leading up to form wasn’t a good team grinding out results. It was a poor team getting lucky. Last 3 games support that.

Yes sometimes teams make their own lack or have that knack of winning. But it didn’t look and feel that way where they beat 2 terrible european teams with a late goal and maybe St Johnstone I think. Different if they were getting late goals at Easter Road, Pittodrie, against us or even an enrage European team.

We can’t help them, they need to help themselves first, by adopting a different style of football.
A very very valid point mate,my hatred for all of them sometimes blinds the issue,but in future I will remember your point in any argument with anyone!Its not just their mentality against us ,for example I now live in Dumfries ,Queen of the South the local club ,had at one time one of the finest playing surfaces in the UK solway turf (im sure it was used at wembley also)rated by the the late great sublime Davie Cooper as one of if not the best surfaces he had ever played on !what did the nutcase chairman do!RIP it up and install artificial pitch,reason.......money blah blah blah backward thinking as per!

Lille will run them ragged, their defence is a bombscare and I’m expecting another Duffy masterclass

• Haha
Reactions: fmp

Yeah I understand all of that mate and its fair enough if that's the logic you choose to buy into, but the only stat that matters is points, and whether deserved or not, they've been picking them up.

The stats may well show they are out performing their expected points to this point. That doesnt mean that they can't go up a level though and honestly I've never heard of a manager being sacked because his xgoals rate wasn't as good as his rivals.

Football is a funny game, seasons quite often hinge on critical moments, and form can change in a heartbeat. Who would have bet us finishing the season the way we did last year after how dominant we looked in December?

I remember wanting Aberdeen to win in the year they beat Dnipro/faced Bayern. Seems a while ago now, though.
Edit* typo.

Nope, Austria look like there are 2.5pts ahead. That's the equivalent of 5 victories for the scottish teams in the group stage (0.5 pts per win / 0.25 for a draw)

That 10th spot is where we should really be, hopefully we can get there and maintain it with the rest of the teams picking up points in the conference league.

We will never catch Austria unless some other diddy teams start pulling their weight and getting some results that don't mean the coefficient being fractioned down to so much less.

It'll always be champions league qualifiers at best, never group stage qualification unfortunately, but two teams in the champions league is an incredible effort from Scotland (basically us) considering the last few years.

Big ask to stay ahead of Ukraine as it looks likely shakhtar and dynamo Kiev will be in Europe post Christmas. Would probably need us and tims qualifying to have a chance.

Luckily that Zorya mob seem shite and the turks ain't catching us

Austria still have 4 sides in Europe that can make it harder to catch but it can be done depending what we do along with them

Am I correct in thinking we could be as high as 8 next season once the leagues above us have season 16/17 drop off next year

obviously providing we score similar points to last season

Back