UEFA.com goal of the season - Roofe finishes 3rd

BrotherMoses

Behind Insigne v Belgium at the Euros and the winner, Taremi scoring a consolation goal for Porto against Chelsea

Some fan poll is irrelevant.

The skill required to put that way after winning the ball and fighting by 3 men and a water logged pitch is next to none.

It was the best goal on the list.

Some fan poll is irrelevant.

The skill required to put that way after winning the ball and fighting by 3 men and a water logged pitch is next to none.

It was the best goal on the list.

Two great goals that beat him, but you see goals like those every year. I've NEVER seen a goal like Roofe's before. And at that point in the game, on that pitch!

But, like anything connected to UEFA, it's essentially a Champions League poll, and restricted to games featuring the mega clubs. Look at the previous winners:

2021: Mehdi Taremi, Chelsea vs Porto, 13/04/21
2020: no Goal of the Season vote
2019: Lionel Messi, Barcelona vs Liverpool, 01/05/19
2018: Cristiano Ronaldo, Real Madrid vs Juventus, 03/04/18
2017: Mario Mandžukić, Juventus vs Real Madrid, 03/06/17
2016: Lionel Messi, Barcelona vs Roma, 24/11/15
2015: Lionel Messi, Barcelona vs Bayern, 06/05/15

The only rason a Porto goal stood a chance was because it was against Chelsea in the Champions League and there wasn't a Real/Barcelona/ManU/Liverpool/City/Juve/PSG or Chelsea goal for people to vote for.

Everyone loves an acrobatic scissors kick and the Porto lad’s was indeed a cracker, but Roofe’s strike (unlike the Czech boy who more or less had an open goal to aim at) was the standout for me as he creates the chance out of nothing by slaloming out of defence past two or three players to set it up.

If it had been Messi or Mbappe or someone it would have won hands down.

It's a pity as it is just an outstanding goal.
I'll always remember that the same week Defoe scored his extraordinary goal against Livingston.
And then later in season Jack's goal against Killie. All top top goals

Both goals ahead of him were good goals but the kind you see loads of imho. Roofes was special, not just because of the finish but the fact he won the ball then beat a few men first…..never seen anything like it.

Back