UEFA considering taking a Champions League final to America

Suppose if there's one season they could have did it, it would have been this one.

No fans allowed in Europe atm, but supporters have been attending sporting events in America. Don't think it's that outlandish considering those circumstances.

Suppose if there's one season they could have did it it would have been this one.

No fans allowed in Europe atm, but supporters have been attending sporting events in America. Don't think it's that outlandish considering those circumstances.
2024 being considered. If you're fan of a club that gets there it's a nonsense.

2024 being considered. If you're fan of a club that gets there it's a nonsense.
Surely if you asked this year's hosts if they would swap 2021 for 2024 they'd jump at it?

As said above. This year in your city with no fans or the next free year?
While sending it to fans in the states.

Surely if you asked this year's hosts if they would swap 2021 for 2024 they'd jump at it?

As said above. This year in your city with no fans or the next free year?
While sending it to fans in the states.
No they're wanting the full CL final weekend experience for the Yanks. New York seems to be the most likely venue if it happens.

The likes of Spain and a Italy have taken their Supercup out of Europe.

I have no real issue with it tbh.
Stupid really but as long as it's not being played at silly o'clock in the morning GMT I couldn't really give a shit tbh.
Even if Stevie G achieved the miracle and got us there?

Absolutely perplexing any real football fan being open to such an idea.

Things might be improving slightly in America now but it’s been a complete shitstorm over there and the way things are politically it could easily kick off big time.

Not the place to be taking any prestigious sporting events IMO.

Super cup is a glorified friendly. Disgusting to do same with cl final.
Yeah, I know what you’re saying. I have been to two CL finals (Amsterdam and Barcelona) and I have to say it wouldn’t bother me that much if it was in New York.

If it was further away, say LA or Australia, maybe I would feel different.

Can you imagine how much the airlines would rip the piss?
They do as it is. I remember reading about when Liverpool played in Kiev. Fans were paying over a grand for for flights and the same per night for hotels.

2018 copa libertadores second leg was played in Spain I know different circumstances were involved but football is a multi billion pound industry and the marketing and financial gains will always be put before everything else

I don’t mind.

Once we’ve won 2022 and 2023 in Europe, it might be nice to win it somewhere else.

Could schedule NARSA to coincide with it.

Mate, I think if we got there, we wouldn’t care where it was played.
Aye ok mate, you wouldn't care if it cost stupid amounts more than it should due to UEFA greed?

Go and tell that to guys who religiously go to all games finding the cheapest flights possible or jumping on a bus to all matches.

They would maybe still find a way to go but that's a different thing altogether to not caring.

Any Final should have as many regular fans of each Club attending as possible. Loses me why anyone would go to one and take a ticket of a regular away from them.

Having it in New York immediately denies a large proportion of fans from attending that wouldn't happen if the final was in an well located European city.

It's these kind of fans that UEFA love, and it's only going to be when the footballing community stand up to their stranglehold on the game that it can become fair, democratic and reasonable.

Aye ok mate, you wouldn't care if it cost stupid amounts more than it should due to UEFA greed?

Go and tell that to guys who religiously go to all games finding the cheapest flights possible or jumping on a bus to all matches.

They would maybe still find a way to go but that's a different thing altogether to not caring.
Quite the opposite. I am saying the cost of flights and hotels should be regulated. It’s not acceptable to rip off fans.

Having it in New York immediately denies a large proportion of fans from attending that wouldn't happen if the final was in an well located European city.

It's these kind of fans that UEFA love, and it's only going to be when the footballing community stand up to their stranglehold on the game that it can become fair, democratic and reasonable.
Mate the reality with the ticketing farce is that we would be lucky to get 15-20k tickets.

In many ways UEFA mirrors the SPFL. Supposedly UEFA (the Union of European Football Association) is a members organisation as, supposedly, is the SPFL. UEFA has 55 member associations, the SPFL has 42. However, both have in common that only a very few members are really bothered what is being done, as long as their own association gets the prize money crumbs it is due.

Malta, for example, has essentially no chance of being involved in advanced stage European competition just as, say, Elgin has little chance of moving up to the SPFL Premiership. Consequently neither Malta nor Elgin would be fussed to vote against something they know is not beneficial to the majority or the game itself.

If the little associations got together they could take control of UEFA back to benefit the majority instead of the present situation where the five ‘big leagues’ get what they want. Then we could get back to something that resembles a proper football competition, like Campbell Ogilvie designed and was implemented as the original Champions League.

Mate the reality with the ticketing farce is that we would be lucky to get 15-20k tickets.

Clearly that's something else that they need to sort out. However, the lack of tickets still shouldn't deny a lot of fans from travelling - as Manchester showed.

Incidentally when it came to the UEFA Cup final I paid something like £80 for a ticket, and was obviously happy to do so - I'd have paid ten times that - but, swept up in the fervour of us reaching a European final, I never once stopped to question how expensive that was. I imagine if we reached a final in America I'd shrug my shoulders and look for the cheapest flights, because they can treat fans anyway they want, knowing that we'll take up our allocation. That isn't right.

You would have thought the last year would've taught those in charge about how much fans and fan culture brings to the game. Obviously not.

Clearly that's something else that they need to sort out. However, the lack of tickets still shouldn't deny a lot of fans from travelling - as Manchester showed.

Incidentally when it came to the UEFA Cup final I paid something like £80 for a ticket, and was obviously happy to do so - I'd have paid ten times that - but, swept up in the fervour of us reaching a European final, I never once stopped to question how expensive that was.
A London final would be ideal. Would surpass Manchester numbers I reckon, partly due to the number of bears down South.

You would have thought the last year would've taught those in charge about how much fans and fan culture brings to the game. Obviously not.

I'm not sure UEFA would have the balls to move the final to America, but I can see a revamped competition where the last 16 is a mini-tournament taking place in a European city over a fortnight or so.

Quite the opposite. I am saying the cost of flights and hotels should be regulated. It’s not acceptable to rip off fans.
You went into no more detail than stating we wouldn't care where it was played.

Back