UEFA Draw - 2nd qualifying round draw - Rangers possibly to play Cork City

That game was 35 years ago. 1984. As pointed out there's been plenty of games between them and clubs from Northern Ireland with no bother.

I doubt attitudes towards us will have changed that much.
If you’re doubting they wouldn’t get organised, I would strongly disagree. This would be a ‘ dissidents ‘ dream.

A draw against Cork City would be a nightmare it would attract nutters from both sides. Dont say we have,nt got them, because we have, people who put Irish politics before the good name of Rangers.

Sorry if I was Rangers I would refuse tickets.

There is far too much at stake for the club.
We want to sing the sash at the rebel lol

I can understand why some want to see us play Cork however it would be a game where there would so much media attention.

The last thing we'd need is for it to turn sour and get a stadium ban or whatever.

As much as I laughed and wound the wife up earlier about entering bandit country.

Not a laughing matter.

Rangers First.

Shelbourne away was getting played at Tolka Park in 1998 until a week before it meant to

We had an allocation of around 4000-5000 from memory

However both the Gardai and FAI raised concerns over security issues and it was agreed to move the game outside the Republic

Shelbourne away was getting played at Tolka Park in 1998 until a week before it meant to

However both the Gardai and FAI raised concerns over security issues and it was agreed to move the game outside the Republic
The gardai did not raise concerns about the rangers support they had intelligence that the local yahoos and republicans were planning trouble and i was told by a work colleague that a local demented and bigoted yahoo was planning to hold an anti-rangers march on the day of the game and that was the final straw for the fai and the guards

The gardai did not raise concerns about the rangers support they had intelligence that the local yahoos and republicans were planning trouble and i was told by a work colleague that a local demented and bigoted yahoo was planning to hold an anti-rangers march on the day of the game and that was the final straw for the fai and the guards

Cheers I remember there was some security issues over the staging of the game at Tolka

My own memory is the marchers protesting at Portadown was also used as some kind of issue.

My hope is that a stink is kicked up and the match is moved to Merseyside. Issue being Cork isnt Dublin. Cant just jump the boat.

Cork could make a fortune off a massive bears attendance (somewhere safe), theres actually something in it for them to find a reason to move it.

My own memory is the marchers protesting at Portadown was also used as some kind of issue.

My hope is that a stink is kicked up and the match is moved to Merseyside

Cork could make a fortune off a massive bears attendance (somewhere safe)

Yeah I am they used the on going issue at the time of Drumcree as well

It only played at Tranmere after the original choice Carlisle was rejected, both by UEFA on been on closeness to Glasgow and Cumbria Police didn't want it either. the events of 1998 at Tranmere might make difficult as well of moving it as well

As I posted last night logistical nightmare if it comes off

Does anyone know when the dates are going to be confirmed for Q1? Are we likely to hear in the coming days or will we need to wait till the prelim tie has been decided?

Does anyone know when the dates are going to be confirmed for Q1? Are we likely to hear in the coming days or will we need to wait till the prelim tie has been decided?

I'm hoping it's sooner rather than later, don't know what Rangers can really do though until the prelim round is concluded. Hopefully they are pushing UEFA to give a confirmed date regardless of opponent.

The announcement for the away won't be until it confirmed I would imagine that been 2nd July

They could announce the home leg

They will probably sorted the dates out but won't release them?

The announcement for the away won't be until it confirmed I would imagine that been 2nd July

They could announce the home leg

They will probably sorted the dates out but won't release them?
That's not leaving us a lot of time to book up. I was planning on booking after the 1st leg of the prelim game if Pristina were winning by a fair amount

Here's a thought, they might look to play the game at Musgrave Park if Cork get through, rather than Turners Cross.

Musgrave Park is in Cork, home of the Munster Rugby team. Holds 10,000, which is a bit more like it.

They played Bayern there in the 90's.

Err Munster play in Limerick which is their version of Easterhouse.

Just looking at how the draw can potentially open up for the final two qualifiers should we get there.

We’re going to need a bit of luck with the draw like we did last season to be honest.

Even if we can get to Round 4 and be seeded, (hopefully beating a seeded team in R3) some of the teams we could get are brutal.

Lots of people travelling to Dublin, Cork etc and them coming over here, low cost airlines changed that since 80's so going over under your own steam might not be so bad now ?

Just looking at how the draw can potentially open up for the final two qualifiers should we get there.

We’re going to need a bit of luck with the draw like we did last season to be honest.

Even if we can get to Round 4 and be seeded, (hopefully beating a seeded team in R3) some of the teams we could get are brutal.

Indeed. It's going to be a real hard ask to make the group stages this year IMO.

I've been talking to a Cork fan who says the word is the potential match could be switched to Thormond Park in Limerick.

I'm standing firmly behind the Bears in this game
tenor.gif

Reactions: VGM
Bit of a difference between Belfast and Cork, might be played in Cork but there will be no Rangers fans allowed.

There will be at least one there - me. Friends in the right places!

Of course let's just wait and see if the game transpires at all.

The rats eventually got for Linfield. Rangers fans will travel so they’re making it more dangerous if they try no away fans.

The difference is Linfield play in a ground that is far, far too big for them, so it was easy to allow the Tims to just rock up and attend, despite all the exaggerated pre-match pish about security.

Conversely, you might be surprised to note that Cork City are very well-supported - they often sell out games in a 7,000 capacity (away fan allocation is about 500).

The good Protestant people of Belfast can be trusted to behave. And Windsor park is a lot safer stadium than what Cork’s will be.
Can see it getting moved to Dublin though.[/QUOTEB

I've been to Turner's Cross mate. It's not exactly Red Star Belgrade away.

I can also assure you Cork City fans wouldn't stand for the game being moved, four hours away in Dublin.

Corkonians tend to be chippy about the capital to say the least, so that simply isn't going to happen.

If you compare this season to last season, this season could be seen as potentially easier than last year. In QR3 last year, there was a team with a coefficient 113 ( Sevilla), and two in the seventies ( Basel and Zenit). This year we are potentially looking at Roma being top seed with 81 coefficient and the next two teams being two unknown CL dropouts with currently seedlings of 54.5 and 44. Some of this will depend on who drops out of the CL too this season but I wouldn't say potentially it’s any more difficult.

It will all come down to luck. We were very lucky last year with Maribor and Ufa but we also did our part and we shouldn’t under estimate ourselves either. We will be a better team this year and if we get a potentially reasonable third and fourth round draw there is nothing to say we can’t repeat what we did last year.

You are aware teams from NI like glentoran from east Belfast have been down to play cork and they passed off without trouble.now if we had drawn a Dundalk or shamrock rovers that would be a different ball game altogether.

I appreciate you're closer to this than anyone but we're a different proposition to Glentoran.

I imagine there will be a very different Cork support out to welcome Rangers if we play. Modern Ireland may have moved on but there's a lot of people stuck firmly in the past. It's these kind of people who'll be rubbing their hands about Rangers coming to town.

I don't think it will.

I don't think you can play games outside your own FA boundaries anymore.

Celtic's game against Linfield went ahead in Belfast so I don't see this getting moved tbh.

And they got slaughtered for not taking tickets Our fans will travel hook or crook I hope Rangers don’t throw them to the wolves by not excepting any.

I’ve always thought most people in ROI don’t really give a shit about us or celtic. Or they at least hate us both.
A follow follow myth.
They have a massive support in Ireland, although a lot of Irish support an English team (liverpool or man utd) they would still at least have the rotten mob as a 2nd team.
Bottom line tho is that 99.9% of the country hate us.

We were getting 5k tickets for that game in Dublin? Fuckin hell, that would've been mad Haha

Back