UEFA Europa Conference League

SM™

Staff member
Planned to start 2021.

I'm sure you'll be aware of examples of clubs from UEFA protected nations taking the complete piss out of the Europa League. Not always, but often a big English side will play in it with an attitude that can be summed up as follows:

Domestic league all that matters
Stick this tin-pot cup up your arse and let us out of it
Less games. Concentrate on trying to get into next season's Champions League.

If Rangers were to fail in Europa qualifying one year and fell into this new UEFA Europa Conference League, would you have an appetite for it? Would it be an inconvenience for us in the way that the Europa League is for a Spurs or Arsenal?

UEFA sticking "Conference" in the title is the damaging part as far as I'm concerned. Change the name and it could be OK, but that word "Conference" feels like they're being too honest. It feels like a case of flogging a dead horse and clogging up fixtures for shite clubs in diddy nations to generate more money for Bayern, Barca, Man City, etc.

Regards,

Not a UEFA Fan,
Diddy Country

I personally feel they should have just brought the CWC instead or something, this ‘conference’ league sounds good in the main for diddy teams.

I just wish the CL still had talent evenly distributed across a bunch of countries, that would make things easier.

That said, this is unlikely to affect us going forward so no fuss. But, if we were to somehow be in it, I’d want to win it.

Don't think I'd view it as an inconvenience necessarily, however I imagine my excitement for it wouldn't exactly be sky high.

To me it feels like scraps from the billionaire protected class table for risking our players in a European Petrofac Cup.

Home to Bongo Gdaza on a Friday afternoon or whatever mental time they pick.

Then a couple of days later the bheggars at the piggery.

I doubt the club would throw much at it.

Planned to start 2021.

I'm sure you'll be aware of examples of clubs from UEFA protected nations taking the complete piss out of the Europa League. Not always, but often a big English side will play in it with an attitude that can be summed up as follows:

If Rangers were to fail in Europa qualifying one year and fell into this new UEFA Europa Conference League, would you have an appetite for it? Would it be an inconvenience for us in the way that the Europa League is for a Spurs or Arsenal?

UEFA sticking "Conference" in the title is the damaging part as far as I'm concerned. Change the name and it could be OK, but that word "Conference" feels like they're being too honest. It feels like a case of flogging a dead horse and clogging up fixtures for shite clubs in diddy nations to generate more money for Bayern, Barca, Man City, etc.

Regards,

Not a UEFA Fan,
Diddy Country
Strange post. Pretty confused imo.

What was the question again?

For sure it is the scraps, probably only going to get worse.
Unfortunately the money isn’t in it for the teams in the top leagues.
They shouldn’t have got rid on the Cup Winners Cup, or changed the name from the UEFA cup.

Planned to start 2021.

Regards,

Not a UEFA Fan,
Diddy Country
The English attitude you talk of is not thinking the're better, its following the money. Simple as that. Clubs like burnley wont win it, but to stay in the epl is everything for them.

Sadly that's where football is these days and let's not forget some of the comments on here after a very good point in lisbon, with their late goal costing us 400,000.

That's the last thing I hope the players were dissapointed in.

If this new tournament turns out to be more of a money maker for the likes of hibs and aberdeen, they'll be very interested, just as we will. It will all depend on the tv revenue they get from it.

If we dropped into it I’d want us to do well. Always want Rangers to win every game we play. Would it mean the same as the CL or EL? No probably not but cups a cup

The English attitude you talk of is not thinking their better, its following the money. Simple as that. Clubs like burnley wont win it, but to stay in the epl is everything for them.

Sadly that's where football is these days and let's not forget some of the comments on here after a very good point in lisbon, with their late goal costing us 400,000.

That's the last thing I hope the players were dissapointed in.

If this new tournament turns out to be more of a money maker for the likes of hibs and aberdeen, they'll be very interested, just as we will. It will all depend on the tv revenue they get from it.
Hibs/Aberdeen/Hearts in it would interest me and I would watch it.

The famous Glasgow Rangers, however. Of course I'd watch it, but would the club throw everything at it?

A lot for UEFA to to explain regards rewards, co-efficient points, etc.

Too many people writing this off I feel.
The champions league is utterly boring and predictable.
This could be a very good open competition and one I feel we'd have a good chance of winning should we end up playing in it.

It's weird that nations ranked 1-5 will get teams in this.

They should have made this a tournament exclusively for the Champions and runners up of countries like Malta, Northern Ireland, Estonia, Albania etc when they get knocked out early of the Champions League and Europa League, and maybe sides from 3rd and 4th in countries like Scotland.

Too many people writing this off I feel.
The champions league is utterly boring and predictable.
This could be a very good open competition and one I feel we'd have a good chance of winning should we end up playing in it.
Not seen full CL game since we were in it. Can't stand the thing. A fix from start to finish. The destroyer of famous names with huge fan-bases in smaller nations.

A stain on the name of football, done to stop clubs leaving. I have to be honest here - denying the tims their wee chance of a few days in the sun against the biggest names to put 3rd/4th place teams in makes a mockery of the competition.

If a name could ever devalue a tournament, here is a perfect example.

It should have been another fantastic tournament, for the likes of us, to truly target and potentially win.

Would have preferred a CWC format. Maybe with entrance for knockouts in the Qualifiers from the CL and EL (Q1/Q2 type stuff).

I want us to win every competition we enter

And for anyone that thinks its tinpot, the only thing more embarrassing than being in the Mickey Mouse cup is getting knocked out the Mickey Mouse cup

Reactions: VGM
If we got to the final of this cup we would fill any stadium in Europe.

But I don’t like the consolation cup branding and it feels like a distraction for UEFA HQ and historically smaller clubs like PSG, Chelsea and Manchester City and others to plunder the equally ludicrously named ‘Champions League’ loot.

No idea what we do about it other than the many big historical clubs like ourselves breaking away from UEFA but it doesn’t take long to realise that is a dead end too.

I think we will just have to live with it so might as well win the damned thing.

I was reading the secret footballer a few days ago, he says it’s an embarrassment for the top clubs in England to end up in the Europa league, more like a punishment for not finishing in the Champion league spots.
That’s the way it’s regarded down there apparently.

I was reading the secret footballer a few days ago, he says it’s an embarrassment for the top clubs in England to end up in the Europa league, more like a punishment for not finishing in the Champion league spots.
I see it that way for a Spurs/Arsenal/Man Utd.
Not for a Burnley/Watford type, but they're so desperate to stay in EPL they can't fully commit either.

Any European competition allows us to charge 50k people £30 a head minimum and if the teams were within our reach of beating you can bet there would be excitement from fans. Why wouldn't there be?

I see it that way for a Spurs/Arsenal/Man Utd.
Not for a Burnley/Watford type, but they're so desperate to stay in EPL they can't fully commit either.
For sure, cramming more games in and playing on the Sunday doesn’t suit them.
It’s all about survival in the league.

Depending on the cash involved, I would expect us to take it seriously. Might not be the most glamourous competition in the world but it's a trophy to be won and a European one at that. Annoys the life out of me the way diddy clubs down south treat the Europa League as if it's beneath them when it would be the biggest moment in the club's history if they got anywhere near winning it.

Would think that we won't need to worry about it unless dropping in from the EL(and we'd hopefully only be in that after dropping out of the CL groups) so hopefully not something we'll need to spend a lot of time worrying about.

Planned to start 2021.

Regards,

Not a UEFA Fan,
Diddy Country
I’d watch Rangers in any competition.Regardless what it’s called.

Hibs/Aberdeen/Hearts in it would interest me and I would watch it.

The famous Glasgow Rangers, however. Of course I'd watch it, but would the club throw everything at it?

A lot for UEFA to to explain regards rewards, co-efficient points, etc.
Depends how it takes off I suppose, if it's better for the others, I think it will diminish the domestic trophies even further.

To me it feels like scraps from the billionaire protected class table for risking our players in a European Petrofac Cup.

Remember how we were in the Petrofac Cup and we didn't want to win it?

It's still going to be pretty decent sides in it. AC Milan, Nice, Hoffenheim, Sporting, Real Sociedad, Wolves, Feyenoord and Galatasaray among others would all have been in it if it started this year. It would still be an achievement to win it and we'd have a chance to do so. Only question would be prize money and TV money.

Remember how we were in the Petrofac Cup and we didn't want to win it?
Cup like that is OK when fixture schedule is clear enough.

But I'm sure you've seen Rangers treat the League Cup in a less than appreciative way. Down at Kilmarnock for example. (Andy Little wondergoal)

All well and good people saying they'd watch us anywhere but Rugby Park crowd that night was early 80s numbers.

Teams will still drop into the ECL out of early Champions league qualification and Europa League group stages. It’s a bit of a myth that it will be filled with diddy teams especially with the Europa League dropping to 32 teams.

We have won 1 European trophy in our history so I wouldn’t exactly throw my nose up in the air if we drop into this.

Probably too many teams in the European competition’s, cut the numbers and more clubs from the big leagues would take it a bit more serious if they had to finish higher up their leagues to qualify for it.

So the plan is a 32 team Champions League, a reduced 32 team Europa League, 32 team Europa Conference League.

Nobody qualifies directly to the Europa Conference League, it's teams who lose in the Europa League Playoff round (so teams like Galatasaray, Maccabi Haifa, Legia Warsaw, Sporting Lisbon, Rosenborg) and teams that go through the playoff rounds for the Conference League.

I think it's a good idea, but there should be far fewer places in playoffs for the "top UEFA nations". There seems to be half the Premier League, Bundesliga, Serie A and La Liga taking part in Europe every year whilst some absolutely massive teams from "lesser nations" barely seem to get a look in.

The Champions League is an absolute disgrace nowadays. All of the money is there, same teams through to the knockouts every year and you can already tell the final will be two of Bayern Munich/Manchester City/Juventus/Barcelona.

The only reason I'm happy we could be playing in it next year is the money. The only other bonus is maybe getting more money for making the Knockouts or the chance to drop into the Europa Knockouts by finishing 3rd in a group.

Depending on the cash involved, I would expect us to take it seriously. Might not be the most glamourous competition in the world but it's a trophy to be won and a European one at that. Annoys the life out of me the way diddy clubs down south treat the Europa League as if it's beneath them when it would be the biggest moment in the club's history if they got anywhere near winning it.

Would think that we won't need to worry about it unless dropping in from the EL(and we'd hopefully only be in that after dropping out of the CL groups) so hopefully not something we'll need to spend a lot of time worrying about.
It's the money that the diddy clubs as you call them, would lose out on if they were to be relegated.

As you have said yourself at the start of this post, depends on the cash involved.

That's what football has came down to. Burnley nearly suffered for it, so from a business point for the club it makes sense not to lose out on the money from the epl.

It's not just the top clubs in england who dont bother with the fa cup any more, it's all the teams. Wether getting promoted or relegated, that's where the money is and what their priority is.

TV money has brought us to this and Rangers would be the same if they were in the EPL.

It's the money that the diddy clubs as you call them, would lose out on if they were to be relegated.

As you have said yourself at the start of this post, depends on the cash involved.

That's what football has came down to. Burnley nearly suffered for it, so from a business point for the club it makes sense not to lose out on the money from the epl.

It's not just the top clubs in england who dont bother with the fa cup any more, it's all the teams. Wether getting promoted or relegated, that's where the money is and what their priority is.

TV money has brought us to this and Rangers would be the same if they were in the EPL.

I understand the reasons for it and you're probably right that we would do the same in their position but that doesn't change my thoughts on it.

This kak.

Better off to have free weeks domestically if not in either CL or Europa?

Or clog up the fixture calendar with a cometition where even the name is an insult?
why is the name an insult because it is the name of an english lower league?most people in europe will not make any connection to that at all?

the europa league was a stupid name but people got used to that pretty quickly

games will be on a thursday at the same time as the europa games but at a changed time of 1745 and 2000 rather than 1755 and 2000 as it has been in recent years

I'd perhaps unfairly assumed that going by the "Conference" in its name it was going to be a competition primarily for Europe's less sporting elite countries, so let's call this for what it is - a morally and ethically bankrupt corporation with a monopoly on European football milking its cash cow for all its worth.

It's essentially a form of appeasement - they've ringfenced the Champions' League for Germany, Italy, Spain and England and brought in a diddy tournament to pacify those who wouldn't ordinarily get a shot at the big time. It's UEFA's way of saying, you be happy that you're playing European football at all, while the big boys fight it out for a tournament that's so competitive it's had two new winners in 24 years.

I used to regard myself as much a football fan as a Rangers fan, but my interest in anything not involving us is minimal. The bloated football calendar and the treatment of footballers as circus animals is one of these reasons. Sometimes less is more.

C
I'd perhaps unfairly assumed that going by the "Conference" in its name it was going to be a competition primarily for Europe's less sporting elite countries, so let's call this for what it is - a morally and ethically bankrupt corporation with a monopoly on European football milking its cash cow for all its worth.

It's essentially a form of appeasement - they've ringfenced the Champions' League for Germany, Italy, Spain and England and brought in a diddy tournament to pacify those who wouldn't ordinarily get a shot at the big time. It's UEFA's way of saying, you be happy that you're playing European football at all, while the big boys fight it out for a tournament that's so competitive it's had two new winners in 24 years.

I used to regard myself as much a football fan as a Rangers fan, but my interest in anything not involving us is minimal. The bloated football calendar and the treatment of footballers as circus animals is one of these reasons. Sometimes less is more.
Correct, pretty much to make the Champions league harder to get into.
Top flight European breakaway, under UEFA.

I understand the reasons for it and you're probably right that we would do the same in their position but that doesn't change my thoughts on it.
I dont like it any more than you mate, but sadly that's where football is these days.

Arsenal and Chelsea played in the el final a couple of years back, not for the glory, but as a route into the cl.

As I said, follow the money. In my other post, I said about after benfica equalised some on here commented that has just cost us 400,000 quid.

I believe you and I, along with many others didnt give that a 2nd thought when they equalised, just gutted at not winning the game.

Who's this bongo gdaza you speak of. lol

Not far wrong mind you.

We would play a full strength team in every game. The two reasons being that we generate a lot of income from ticket sales and we want to win every match we play (big CL games vs superclubs the exception).

We played Morelos at home to Ayr with Lafferty cup tied for the next round and kept him on the park despite being 3-0 up. We played a full strength team against St Jospeh's and Red Imps of Gibraltar. And that is with a manager who is a CL winner - not a fearful Murty type. We would play a full strength team in every game in every competition and have for as long as I can remember and there is zero evidence to the contrary.

We threw everything at winning the Ramsdens cup, why wouldn't we throw everything at this tournament?

We are Rangers. Winning trophies is in our DNA.

Back