UEFA Europa Conference League

I'm all for it and hope to see us win it one day to be honest

Hibs/Aberdeen/Hearts in it would interest me and I would watch it.

The famous Glasgow Rangers, however. Of course I'd watch it, but would the club throw everything at it?

A lot for UEFA to to explain regards rewards, co-efficient points, etc.

I know it doesn't answer your initial question, but I'll post this info anyway.

Scotland look set to finish 11th or 12th in the coefficient rankings this season. 11th would almost certainly guarantee next season's league winners a CL spot, 12th would mean they go into the playoff round.

(Ukraine are the country to look out for in terms of pipping us to 11th, so more defeats for Shaktar is what we want basically).

Second place would be in the Champions League qualifying second round in the league path.

The team deemed cup winners next season would go into the playoff round for the Europa League.

At the absolute worst, you'd be guaranteed a team in the Europa League and one in the Conference League. It's likely to look more like one in CL, one Europa or CL, one Europa or Conference. And that's not considering the other 2 teams who would be in the Conference qualifying rounds and may get lucky in the draws.

I think this has come around at a good time for Scottish football personally. We'll be looking at more money coming into the game (and I suspect the cash in the Conference League won't be too far off current Europa League amounts), and a chance for the likes of Aberdeen, Hibs or the likes to genuinely grow and raise their standards a bit.

From a Rangers perspective - I hope we never play in that third competition, but if we do, I would be looking to do well.

Apologies for going off track but to reinvigorate the champions and europa leagues (IMO), I think it would be good to revert to the old style two-legged affair every other season to mix it up a bit.

To go back on track and answer OP's question, confederate standings (americanism) is a pile of dung and unless tv and gate money is advantageous then shouldn't be treated seriously.

I know it doesn't answer your initial question, but I'll post this info anyway.

Scotland look set to finish 11th or 12th in the coefficient rankings this season. 11th would almost certainly guarantee next season's league winners a CL spot, 12th would mean they go into the playoff round.

(Ukraine are the country to look out for in terms of pipping us to 11th, so more defeats for Shaktar is what we want basically).

Second place would be in the Champions League qualifying second round in the league path.

The team deemed cup winners next season would go into the playoff round for the Europa League.

At the absolute worst, you'd be guaranteed a team in the Europa League and one in the Conference League. It's likely to look more like one in CL, one Europa or CL, one Europa or Conference. And that's not considering the other 2 teams who would be in the Conference qualifying rounds and may get lucky in the draws.

I think this has come around at a good time for Scottish football personally. We'll be looking at more money coming into the game (and I suspect the cash in the Conference League won't be too far off current Europa League amounts), and a chance for the likes of Aberdeen, Hibs or the likes to genuinely grow and raise their standards a bit.

From a Rangers perspective - I hope we never play in that third competition, but if we do, I would be looking to do well.
Isn't there a year lag in Coefficients?

So the places for the 21-22 competition are based on the coefficient at the end of the 19-20 season.

Next seasons places are based on Scotland being 14th in the UEFA Coefficients:
  • Champions in the Champions League 3rd Qualifying round (Champions Path)
  • 2nd Place in the Champions League 2nd Qualifying Round (League Path)
  • Scottish Cup Winner in the Europa League Playoff Round
  • 3rd Place in the Europa Conference League Second Qualifying Round (Main Path)
  • 4th Place in the Europa Conference League Second Qualifying Round (Main Path)
The outcomes you outline if Scotland are 11th or 12th at the end of this season would come into play for the 22-23 season.

Also, from what I'm seeing, the Europa League seems to be morphing into the "Cup Winners Cup" and this Europa Conference League seems to be a slim-lined version of the current Europa League. I think a lot of people are going to be surprised by the quality in this new tournament.

Isn't there a year lag in Coefficients?

So the places for the 21-22 competition are based on the coefficient at the end of the 19-20 season.

Next seasons places are based on Scotland being 14th in the UEFA Coefficients:
  • Champions in the Champions League 3rd Qualifying round (Champions Path)
  • 2nd Place in the Champions League 2nd Qualifying Round (League Path)
  • Scottish Cup Winner in the Europa League Playoff Round
  • 3rd Place in the Europa Conference League Second Qualifying Round (Main Path)
  • 4th Place in the Europa Conference League Second Qualifying Round (Main Path)
The outcomes you outline if Scotland are 11th or 12th at the end of this season would come into play for the 22-23 season.

I can't have been clear - I was saying "next season's league winners" as in, the team that wins the league next season.

So yeah, for the 22/23 season.

I can't have been clear - I was saying "next season's league winners" as in, the team that wins the league next season.

So yeah, for the 22/23 season.
It's interesting to note that if either us or them win the Scottish Cup this season (not the Comfort Blanket Cup they are contesting in a couple of weeks) then 3rd place will have guaranteed Group Stage European football next season.

However, If a team outside of us or them wins the Scottish Cup this season, they are guaranteed Group Stage European football.

There is a massive incentive for teams to win the Scottish Cup this season that I don't think a lot of clubs have picked up on yet.

Basically from next season onwards, we will always be guaranteed group stage football in Europe because of this. It’s definitely a safety blanket on the off chance we totally f*ck the qualifiers up - it could partially offset financial losses from smaller revenue and, you’d imagine, 3 sold out games at Ibrox (potentially more).

The standard is likely to be the lower half of the current Europa League group stage teams as the EL is being condensed to 32 teams itself, so could certainly throw up some competitive ties, and cracking Euro nights.

In short, I’d definitely want us to take it serious. The revenue generated will be bigger than the UEFA cup 10 years ago, and will be our only ever shot at a European trophy.

You could write a million words on what is wrong with Football, with FIFA, with UEFA, with the structure of the tournaments, with the fannies that play the modern game.

At the end of the day... Not much beats European nights at Ibrox.... But one thing that does is European trips away. We'd still travel to any game en masse.

If this team keeps getting better and we get some rub of the green with draws and in games there's no reason we can't win a European trophy this year.

The English attitude you talk of is not thinking the're better, its following the money. Simple as that. Clubs like burnley wont win it, but to stay in the epl is everything for them.

Sadly that's where football is these days and let's not forget some of the comments on here after a very good point in lisbon, with their late goal costing us 400,000.

That's the last thing I hope the players were dissapointed in.

If this new tournament turns out to be more of a money maker for the likes of hibs and aberdeen, they'll be very interested, just as we will. It will all depend on the tv revenue they get from it.
As we are in the top 15 in Europe, the Scottish cup winners go directly into the Europa League playoff. So regardless of the result they are playing group stage football. It all depends on the finances of the tournament but you'd be thinking along with ticket sales you could bring in 4-5 million. That's a game changing amount of money for any club outside of Rangers and Celtic.

If I'm a mid table Motherwell, Killie, Dundee United, etc then I'd be putting all my effort into winning the Scottish cup. Win the Scottish cup and your operating costs are covered for a few years.

I think this is a really positive move for Scotland for a number of reasons.

1 - It would take a monumental %^*& up for Rangers/Celtic not to be playing group stage football. Top 2 qualify for Champions League. Lose out in qualifying you're in the Europa League qualifying/group. Lose Europa League qualifying and you're in the Conference.

2 - That means at least 6 group stage games. It also means top 3 in Europa League and Champions League groups get knock out football. That's a lot of income (gates plus prize money) guaranteed each year which really helps us.

3 - The co-efficient. Next season we get 5 teams in Europe meaning the points earned are divided by 5 rather than 4. Under current arrangements that'd be a big blow to us (and them) and could lose the 2nd CL spot. With the Conference there's a much better chance of one of the other teams qualifying for the group - and as someone has pointed out the Cup Winners might even be guaranteed group stage football. That protects the co-efficient.

4 - A European Trophy is a European Trophy. I'd want to win it.

This kak.

Better off to have free weeks domestically if not in either CL or Europa?

Or clog up the fixture calendar with a cometition where even the name is an insult?
Every away game a party or an excuse to have the shit kicked out of us in a new far off eastern hovel.

What's not to love?

Rangers on tour!

The main negative?
Why let any teams in at all from countries ranked 1-5?

If we somehow end up in it then I'd like to see us win it but barring a disastrous season I can't see us ever being in it now we have 2 Champions League places.

From what I understand teams losing out in Europa qualifying qualify for the Conference - this year that would have included Legia Warsaw (Pol), Rio Ave (Por), Rosenborg (Nor), Sporting Lisbon (Por), Copenhagen (Den), Wolfsburg (Ger) and Galatasaray (Tur). That's some good names/games!!

Also 3rd place in the Europa League drops down - this season teams currently in 3rd place include Young Boys (Swi), Nice (Fra), PSV (Hol), Real Sociedad (Spa) and Feyenoord (Hol).

It's going to be a decent competition and one that if we ended up in we would be competitive in.

The name doesn't sound glamourous but it's a decent shot at a European trophy and if we were in it - I'd want us to win it as would many other bears. It is not something to turn our noses up at.

At the risk of sounding uber-staunch, if we played in a subbutteo tournament I'd want us to win.

Given that the prize money will be more than the SPFL of course we should try and win it if we drop down one season.

If we end up in it, we would be among the favorites to win it IMO
Thanks to UEFA parachuting CL clubs into the Europa, the Conference is probably the only trophy we have a good chance of winning unfortunately.

They should have just stuck with the Cup Winners Cup and not get rid of it. There were great games on tv in the 90s in that tournament. It was still a great trophy to win and likewise we still celebrate it today along with many other clubs.

I see it that way for a Spurs/Arsenal/Man Utd.
Not for a Burnley/Watford type, but they're so desperate to stay in EPL they can't fully commit either.
Arsenal, Chelsea, Man U and Liverpool have been in finals in recent years, the Europa is definitely not seen as an embarrassment at all down the South. It used to be the Thursday cup but since they made the reward a CL spot the big teams have seen value in competing.

Apologies if I have missed it in thread, but surely wanting to do well in it would depend on how much money we could make from it? Because the EPL is worth so much, then most of their teams aren't interested in the Europa, but our backwater league pays so little, then if this Conference pays better money than our league then surely it would be worth trying to stay in as long as possible?

I hope we are never anywhere near it but if we were then I'd expect us to try our best to win it. Same as I wanted us to win the Petrofrac.

I like the idea of it but the name is poor and it will probably take a few seasons to get going, but so did the rebranding of the UEFA Cup to the Europa League. Anything that gets more money and European experience to Scottish teams will ultimately help us.

Glad the tournament is happening.

Glad its happening after we’ve put ourselves above the level of it and its just a safety net if we somehow lose 2 sets of qualifiers.

Dont see any down side to it now that its not the only tournament we can enter.

Thanks to UEFA parachuting CL clubs into the Europa, the Conference is probably the only trophy we have a good chance of winning unfortunately.
Exactly, if your out your out!

No more of this CL 2nd chance, going on to win the EL, then getting straight back into the groups.

Planned to start 2021.

I'm sure you'll be aware of examples of clubs from UEFA protected nations taking the complete piss out of the Europa League. Not always, but often a big English side will play in it with an attitude that can be summed up as follows:

Domestic league all that matters
Stick this tin-pot cup up your arse and let us out of it
Less games. Concentrate on trying to get into next season's Champions League.

If Rangers were to fail in Europa qualifying one year and fell into this new UEFA Europa Conference League, would you have an appetite for it? Would it be an inconvenience for us in the way that the Europa League is for a Spurs or Arsenal?

UEFA sticking "Conference" in the title is the damaging part as far as I'm concerned. Change the name and it could be OK, but that word "Conference" feels like they're being too honest. It feels like a case of flogging a dead horse and clogging up fixtures for shite clubs in diddy nations to generate more money for Bayern, Barca, Man City, etc.

Regards,

Not a UEFA Fan,
Diddy Country
If we happened to draw a team from Germany,Poland or Spain as examples I don't think the travelling bears if this pandemic shite has sorted itself out anyway- would be put off in the slightest.

The majority of the support I'm not 100% sure tbh.I think we hopefully will always appreciate European football to get us away from the sometimes monotonous sphell that we have to endure at times.

I don't really see a downside. The reforms will also make the Europa League much more competitive and will probably look a bit more like the CL when qualification was more closely related to winning the league. If we're honest, that's where we'll be playing our football.

The drip downs from various qualifiers and the EL mean it won't be a diddy comp either. It'll almost certainly bring more money Into to the Scottish game via the diddy teams too.

I'd have thought Aberdeen would be in the Europa League spot (presuming us or that lot win the Scottish cup) rather than the 5th placed team.
Pass on why they have Dundee Utd where they are, but gives a rough idea of the spread.

In the worst-case, it turns out to be a total turd case and we have more important games let the weans have a go good experience for them,

If we did end up in it I would like to see us try win it since our europa league campaigns have been good

I was reading the secret footballer a few days ago, he says it’s an embarrassment for the top clubs in England to end up in the Europa league, more like a punishment for not finishing in the Champion league spots.
That’s the way it’s regarded down there apparently.

I can understand that given the domestic TV money they get, but without that cash cow they'd be bloody glad to be in the EL.

The standard in England is high, yes, but a lot of that money goes on pretty ordinary players and some of it goes on truly awful ones.
Then there are the ones that are so bad they get Scottish teams to pay a fortune to take them on loan..........

Any European competition will always be the second most important competition Rangers are in. The league will always be priority as it allows us to access the those competitions, but we are, and will remain reliant on European competition for money.

This competition is primarily for diddy clubs like Aberdeen, Hearts and celtic who get continually destroyed in European competition.

Rangers aim for the foreseeable future is the champions league.

Back