Uefa halt investigation into Neuer over LGBTQ+ armband

Are they seriously saying they never knew what the rainbow signifies?

While people cry “virtue signalling” and bemoan “political statements”, has there ever been a single full-time professional footballer of note come out as being gay?

There has been a couple of retired players publicly come out, but it’s statistically impossible for there to no active gay footballers. There are of course gay footballers who don’t come out for whatever reason, and that’s up to them.

With some of the attitudes shown online, I bet if someone was brave enough to come out publicly, the same people would probably still be moaning that they’re just attention seeking and that nobody cares, while doing all they can to show that they care.

When honesty is controversy a culture is in trouble. Remember when politics, and personal beliefs were intentionally left outside the stadium?
Now we lambast governing bodies for attempting to enforce that standard.
It doesn't take Bobby Fischer levels of forethought to see where this will all go. The Overton Window is shifting, and the further it does, the faster it will.
No. I genuinely have never, ever known such a time.

Also, the fact you post this on a Rangers forum is pretty rich :)

When honesty is controversy a culture is in trouble. Remember when politics, and personal beliefs were intentionally left outside the stadium?
Now we lambast governing bodies for attempting to enforce that standard.
It doesn't take Bobby Fischer levels of forethought to see where this will all go. The Overton Window is shifting, and the further it does, the faster it will.
Talking about politics being left outside the stadium, have you ever been to a Rangers game?

The FIFA Laws of the Game list, at Law 4, the basic compulsory equipment to be used by each player (comprising playing jersey, shorts, stockings, shinguards and footwear), which in turn is furthered by a decision of the International FA Board clarifying Law 4, which states that:

“the basic compulsory equipment must not have any political, religious or personal slogans, statements or images… The team of a player whose basic equipment has political, religious or personal slogans, statements or images will be sanctioned by the competition organiser or by FIFA.

Yes I have. Have you ever seen a Rangers player openly display a political or social statement on the pitch?
081117_kenny_miller_rainbow_laces_01.jpg

291119_rainbow_laces_tavernier_420_019.jpg

041220_Training__Rainbow_Laces_-_Defoe_07.JPG

Show+Racism+the+Red+Card+Fortnight+of+Action+Rangers+v+Hamilton+%2829%29.jpg

Because a player's sexuality, and their performance on the pitch are completely, and should be completely unrelated.
They should be, but how many hundreds if not thousands of players are there that are gay, but are living in a state of fear that someone will find out and it turns into abuse at games, abuse online, loss of commercial contracts etc?

Fact is someone will step up and come out as being gay, and it will resonate with the countless other gay footballers and hopefully allow them to live their life as they want and without fear of abuse.

I look forward to that day, and if wearing a rainbow armband or rainbow laces increases the chance of that happening, then it has all been worthwhile.

They should be, but how many hundreds if not thousands of players are there that are gay, but are living in a state of fear that someone will find out and it turns into abuse at games, abuse online, loss of commercial contracts etc?

Fact is someone will step up and come out as being gay, and it will resonate with the countless other gay footballers and hopefully allow them to live their life as they want and without fear of abuse.

I look forward to that day, and if wearing a rainbow armband or rainbow laces increases the chance of that happening, then it has all been worthwhile.
Neuer himself said as much before the 2018 World Cup, this got mis translated by various South American media as him coming out and led to him getting homophobic abuse at said World Cup.

While people cry “virtue signalling” and bemoan “political statements”, has there ever been a single full-time professional footballer of note come out as being gay?

There has been a couple of retired players publicly come out, but it’s statistically impossible for there to no active gay footballers. There are of course gay footballers who don’t come out for whatever reason, and that’s up to them.

With some of the attitudes shown online, I bet if someone was brave enough to come out publicly, the same people would probably still be moaning that they’re just attention seeking and that nobody cares, while doing all they can to show that they care.

Do people these days have to come out?

Mental to think that still in 2021 people still have an issue with this and in-fact people being gay.

Why should who someone loves be any of your business or have any bearing on your life? See if they are happy, more power to them.

Neuer obviously has his reasons for showing support. Whether it be because he’s gay, a family member is gay, a friend is gay or just because he believes in equality. Fair play to him.

As a FAN. When was the last time you heard about a Rangers player doing the same? When was the last time you heard about a Rangers player expressing their social activism on the pitch?

Because a player's sexuality, and their performance on the pitch are completely, and should be completely unrelated.
Rangers players have taken the knee, worn rainbow laces, shown their faith on the pitch, i'm sure there's more that i can't remember. As for your other point it would be great if nobody cared about what sexuality someone was and let them be with who they want but homophobia and transphobia are still a big issues in the world so during pride month if someone wants to show support to these groups of people then let them. It shouldn't even be considered political we're not discussing war or how to put the countries budget to use here.

As a FAN. When was the last time you heard about a Rangers player doing the same? When was the last time you heard about a Rangers player expressing their social activism on the pitch?

The only reason that stuff like this (the armband) happens is because of people like you.

I had a mate from Hungary who worked fairly senior level in politics over there. He fought for LGBT rights within a political area at a quite public and vocal level. He committed suicide. His note cited the general direction of the country of the issue on LGBT issues (drive by the right-wing and homophobic govt) as well as the rise in attacks on gay people.

For some bellend like you to moan about a German player having an armband raising the issue should be a lesson for everyone just how far we still have to go.

Glad Neuer wore his rainbow armband. I had no idea it was ‘Pride’ day, month, year, decade, epoch or whatever it is now. Media and corporations are quite quiet about it.

Not a comment on the rights or wrongs of the gay issue, but doesn’t UEFA have a total ban on any type of political display?

Oh yes! You are correct! The anywhere everywhere thing. I totally forgot about that cringeworthy social signaling.
I stand corrected.
Fucking hell mate...

Our club is proud of the fact we are inclusive and diverse. Not everything has to be political and people can just be sound as fuck to one another and not absolute cunts. Not everything is some big bad agenda.

It feels like you're the one making it political in your own perspective when in reality it's not.

Take a day aff.

So players can now openly express their social preferences? What if the player had an armband with a picture of Christ? What if the player had an armband that states "all lives matter"
Or one that says say no to coke it makes you fat
How many are supporting the rainbow armband but criticising Ronaldo ?
What is the bigger problem - obesity or gay rights?

@Greg Marshall

What's the club's take on fans like this and the platform they're getting on its biggest fan forum?
The guy’s got the right to an opinion. The minute we forget that is when we cross the line to censorship of views just because we disagree.

As we have seen in relation to events within the past month, an awful lot of people in Scotland want to take the same attitude towards Rangers.

Ostensibly, Neuer’s armband breaches UEFA/FIFA rules. These bodies have shown previously they really have no principles other than financial gain.

However, how can you square the circle between pressure from the Western gay rights lobby and Middle Eastern hostility?

I don’t believe you can and that’s what led to the FIFA policy in the first place. So be prepared for token gestures directed against the likes of Hungary but complete silence when it comes to Arab/Islamic countries.

Being gay isn't a political statement. Supporting LGBTQ+ peoples rights isn't a political statement either.

Also, football and politics have never been separate. I wish people would stop pretending it is or ever was.

They don't, they just don't like it when it is something like this that's being promoted and hide behind "football and politics should be separate" rather than just admit they're a bigot.

Good luck to Neuer if this is what he believes in and wants to represent. He will know Thomas Hitzelsperger too, who could only come out once he quit football.

Politics has always played a part in German football. It's not just here that it happens.

The guy’s got the right to an opinion. The minute we forget that is when we cross the line to censorship of views just because we disagree.

As we have seen in relation to events within the past month, an awful lot of people in Scotland want to take the same attitude towards Rangers.

Ostensibly, Neuer’s armband breaches UEFA/FIFA rules. These bodies have shown previously they really have no principles other than financial gain.

However, how can you square the circle between pressure from the Western gay rights lobby and Middle Eastern hostility?

I don’t believe you can and that’s what led to the FIFA policy in the first place. So be prepared for token gestures directed against the likes of Hungary but complete silence when it comes to Arab/Islamic countries.

I would disagree that it breaks the rules as the item making the statement, viewed as political, social, or whatever, is not part of the compulsory equipment list.

Also, while there may be a common understanding that the rainbow colours are now associated primarily with support of the LGBTQ community, you would be hard pressed to prove that. He may just like My Little Pony.

They’re only illegal because they’re not sponsors.
I read something last week about a Gambling Aware charity who were not permitted to leaflet fans going to Wembley for the England v Croatia match.

A couple of betting companies were allowed to hand out vouchers for free bets to supporters though.

It's funny that it is always the same people who have issues with players doing things like this, who also cry about free speech etc when they get told they can't call someone the N word etc.
It's funny how every time the subject of free speech is brought up the same people bring up that particular straw man. It's almost the new Godwin's law.

btw, I have no problem at all with what Neuer did, as it doesn't affect me one little bit. As far as I'm concerened he can do what he wants.

Back