UEFA lift ban on 15:00 tv blackout

GTM

In England and Scotland.

Genuine attempt to prepare for finishing the season behind closed door or just a token gesture?

Edit: link to story now added

Last edited:
Personally don't think they should be allowed to stop any game being shown on TV at any time ever if it's not being shown by another channel.

That's actually quite a big development. There's obviously a lot of things going on in the background to restart the season

They'll try anything to get the season finished, they're absolutely desperate as this shows.

If football is re started behind closed doors the government will have a very hard time justifying why others can’t go and play football at a park or on an Astro whilst allowing professionals to do so. Allowing this would probably result in many starting to ignore lockdown rules

If football is re started behind closed doors the government will have a very hard time justifying why others can’t go and play football at a park or on an Astro whilst allowing professionals to do so. Allowing this would probably result in many starting to ignore lockdown rules
Spot on. As much as I love football, restarting it should be low on the priority. It would immediately open the floodgates for all other activities demanding to be treated equally. Null and void. Story finished.

There will be no games played until, July 11,at the earliest. In all likelyhood it'll be Sep/Oct before a ball is kicked in earnest.

Player safety will put the kybosh on any early resumption.

They seem to be ignoring the players safety. Be some game if They can’t get within 2m to tackle.

It’s as if the suits are so greedy to keep the gravy train running they would throw anyone under the bus. Not one joined up idea suggested so far.

That's actually quite a big development. There's obviously a lot of things going on in the background to restart the season
They’re quite confident at restarting the season here in Russia in May - I’m in St Petersburg where Zenit have a relatively comfortable lead and they are keen to get it over and done with on the pitch as opposed to being handled the title.

Although Putin and his nodding dug minions refused to even acknowledge the thought of shutting down Russian daily life until 2 weeks ago and even still he gives the impression he hasn’t a clue what he’s doing - delegating responsibility to regional governors and the like - so we could find ourselves in lockdown with little prospect of much happening for a while here yet as the shitshow unfolds.

Belgium seems like the outlier at the moment - I honestly believe (and I am perhaps more in hope as I’m bored out my skull) that there will be closed doors football starting mid-late May across the continent to get these leagues finished and lift morale across the continent - especially if restrictions to daily and economic life are still quite stringent going into June as they will need to placate the mob and give them some form of entertainment and escapism somehow - even if we can’t go to games or even pubs at least we can watch on TV. The TV companies will be eager to keep the subscriptions as well and what better way to do that than a wall to wall football extravaganza

Netflix only has so much decent stuff before the layers of crap are exposed

Does anyone else find it actually quite sad that football no longer needs fans in the stadium to operate due to the tv deals

Dont get me wrong as much as i would love to even watch a game on TV right now it just doesn't seem right

Does anyone else find it actually quite sad that football no longer needs fans in the stadium to operate due to the tv deals

Dont get me wrong as much as i would love to even watch a game on TV right now it just doesn't seem right
Doesn’t even need real players anymore if they are now offering esports games on the coupons if folk are so desperate to get their fix

UEFA are like fuukin Nero fiddling while Rome burns. Seriously, is it so important to play a few fixtures in the midst of a pandemic? Self important bawbags.

It is not upto UEFA to imposed it Is down to the nation association to impose their own blocked hours which the English and Scottish FAs do

Reading the article all this means is UEFA have lift this season's blocked hours period which it confirmed back in August

In a statement, Uefa said: "Uefa has lifted the 'blocked hours' protection granted to England and Scotland for the remainder of the 2019-20 season following requests from the relevant national associations as a result of measures taken in relation to the Covid-19 pandemic."

It is clear that games are going to be attempt to be played at some point when who knows when but St Mirren v Rangers could now be 3pm?

Going forward it will be interesting if it reamins scrapped

It is not upto UEFA to imposed it Is down to the nation association to impose their own blocked hours which the English and Scottish FAs do

Reading the article all this means is UEFA have lift this season's blocked hours period which it confirmed back in August

In a statement, Uefa said: "Uefa has lifted the 'blocked hours' protection granted to England and Scotland for the remainder of the 2019-20 season following requests from the relevant national associations as a result of measures taken in relation to the Covid-19 pandemic."

It is clear that games are going to be attempt to be played at some point when who knows when but St Mirren v Rangers could now be 3pm?

Going forward it will be interesting if it reamins scrapped
I wonder if it’s actually the tv company’s who really fear the lifting of the 3pm kick offs being broadcasts to viewers in the uk.i am sure supporters would much prefer to pay a subscription to there individual clubs to watch every game live than to sky and bt.many of us are already doing that with vpn’s

That's not the rule that needs lifted by UEFA. In the unlikely event that the season resumes they need to remove the rule that states domestic games can't be televised on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays when there are CL and Europa games on. That could make a big difference to getting games played throughout a season.

They won't do it though........................££££££££££££££££££££££££££

Scottish clubs get next to nothing from TV and make their money from ticket sales, and they are going to give up the ticket cash so Sky have games to show to fill their schedule up?

I wonder if it’s actually the tv company’s who really fear the lifting of the 3pm kick offs being broadcasts to viewers in the uk.i am sure supporters would much prefer to pay a subscription to there individual clubs to watch every game live than to sky and bt.many of us are already doing that with vpn’s

It down to the right holders to decide who get the games under the current terms/restrictions in place on them

Take Rangers TV - can watch live domestic games outside the UK currently as they are given permission by the SPFL and Scottish FA to do so since there no worldwide deals in place while our Europa League games from group stage onwards aren't due to UEFA putting a block on them since there exclusivity deal throughout the world as part of their terms when deciding that with broadcasters

Removing the 3pm blocked hours opens up the sale of those games in Scotland and England and that is where TV companies can benefit from but it down to each right holder - SPFL, Scottish FA to decide who get those rights

For Rangers to secure the right to show say Rangers v Motherwell which would have been today at 3pm but at what cost to the club well that would down to whatever terms are place on them by the SPFL to decide

The EFL now allow games to be shown live in the UK on club channels on non Saturdays providing it is not live on Sky Sports or has been agreed with them no conflict issue - cost is £10 per game set by the EFL, also under the current deal all scheduled midweek games from the Championship are now shown live on Sky Sports

So I don't think the TV companies fear it the removal but they would get the chance to broadcast those and would mean more money to the right holders, as I said it how those rights are actually sold

I'm beginning to actually hate football tbh, the people who run it are scum

Do they genuinely believe that there is an appetite, never mind opportunity, to play matches in the next couple of months?
I couldn't agree more. Spurs and Ashley have shown themselves in a truly horrible light.
Imagine earning 10s of thousands a week to do %^*& all right now when people are losing jobs. The modern footballer unfortunately seems to be selfish beyond anyones imagination. I know there are exceptions. I'm fed up of sky trying to say that footballers are good guys. Absolute bull.

If clubs are forced to play games behind closed doors, against their wishes. Can we reclaim our season ticket money from the SPFL?

Spot on. As much as I love football, restarting it should be low on the priority. It would immediately open the floodgates for all other activities demanding to be treated equally. Null and void. Story finished.
If players are forced to play and one gets ill and the worst happens UEFA and any other authorities will be left open for a shitstorm
This all day........when will the boneheads in charge realise that NOTHING is happening anytime soon;and that the game (as much as we love it) is finished here for a long time to come.

If clubs are forced to play games behind closed doors, against their wishes. Can we reclaim our season ticket money from the SPFL?

you’d claim your money back from the club as that’s who you paid, it would be up to the club if they decided to try and reclaim from the SPFL.

I think they're going along the lines of trying to get them all finished in june with wall to wall coverage. Something that replaces the euros.

Not saying it will happen, but I believe that's what they're thinking.

They've adopted a full on business model. Competition and sporting integrity are no longer of value. Its all about the money.

Pretty sure it's not. It's a UK decision as 3PM KO's are broadcast in other countries.

It's outdated as %^*& as 3PM televised games will not stop people going to the grounds.
And like the 5.30 live game in the epl it would be the lowest viewing figures for tv channels

And like the 5.30 live game in the epl it would be the lowest viewing figures for tv channels

Absolutely. There’s a reason Old Firms are always 12 on a Sunday, it’s the only way non-fans will watch!

Depends on the game in that 5.30pm slot - Manchester Derby won't a low viewing figure where say Watford v Crystal Palace would be

Reckon people would watch Rangers v Celtic at 5.30pm on a Saturday if it was allowed by the police

It’s not a government rule, it was brought in by the FA, UEFA adopted the same rule but apparently only England, Scotland and Montenegro use it.

UEFA have article 48 which backs up the request from the National Association in that country but they can't tell any National Association to impose blocked hours

I think Belgium were the last bigger nation to scrap their blocked hours was on a Saturday night from memory

Would like to see it scrapped completely now but it doesn't mean that all games would at the same time it would depend on whatever the broadcast contract would be

This is a common misconception - UEFA DON'T require a blackout period. Associations can apply for a blackout period but it's not obligatory. UEFA will then enforce it to an extent.

If this was the case then all associations would have to comply to setting aside a blackout period.

Said it many times but it is a ridiculously outdated concept. If you can't make a game on a Saturday (or you simply want to watch a game in general) - you can find a stream within seconds. As far as Scotland is concerned, most clubs already film their games "in-house". I'm pretty sure they can easily charge for access to a legal live stream.

Depends on the game in that 5.30pm slot - Manchester Derby won't a low viewing figure where say Watford v Crystal Palace would be

Reckon people would watch Rangers v Celtic at 5.30pm on a Saturday if it was allowed by the police

Agree a Rangers v Celtic on 530pm on a sat night would bring in high viewing figures imo

No way the police would allow it would be chaos.

Surely in the next 10 years most clubs will have their own TV set up where if you want to watch a game you can buy it PPV or get a season ticket.

Most people if they want can sit in house in a sat and watch a game of choice for free

They seem to be ignoring the players safety. Be some game if They can’t get within 2m to tackle.

It’s as if the suits are so greedy to keep the gravy train running they would throw anyone under the bus. Not one joined up id
ea suggested so far.

Spot on. Without TV and sponsor money they are all phucked. I posted yesterday that it was a 2 hour wait to cancell Sky Sports people are chucking it in tens of thousands all over the world.

Agree a Rangers v Celtic on 530pm on a sat night would bring in high viewing figures imo

No way the police would allow it would be chaos.

Surely in the next 10 years most clubs will have their own TV set up where if you want to watch a game you can buy it PPV or get a season ticket.

Most people if they want can sit in house in a sat and watch a game of choice for free

A lot of clubs already some sort of inhouse media platforms

Bigger issue is how clubs are are allowed to show games legally on their in house channel/platform and at what cost to do so, as I said the right holders are the ones to decide that

SPFL hold the broadcast rights and they make the decision to allow games for live broadcast

Take Rangers v Celtic

UK/ROI - Sky Sports
Overseas - TV broadcasters plus both club channels show the game

So in future there a main broadcast partner and the club channels can also show but what is the cost for that from a club's point of view?

As I said in a previous post look at UEFA and how they block the club channels from broadcasting the games live to protect their broadcast partners

Back