Uefa say no European football if leauge is void

Absolute fucking nonsense. Italy and Spain are the worst affected countries in Europe. They will be forced to void their seasons. Is Robert fucking Grieve attempting to tell me that UEFA would not have any Italian or Spanish sides competing in European competition next season?

Absolute fucking nonsense. Italy and Spain are the worst affected countries in Europe. They will be forced to void their seasons. Is Robert fucking Grieve attempting to tell me that UEFA would not have any Italian or Spanish sides competing in European competition next season?
UEFA are saying it.

It's all over the English press also.

I maintain that the OP's heading is a false interpretation of what the UEFA statement means.

Simply - they are warning about making final decisions “prematurely”, they are not saying that null & void can’t be the final decision when all other avenues have been exhausted.

It's the only legally sound conclusion.

Last edited:
"At the end of a full domestic competition"
Looks like no European football at all next season then.

I posted on a thread yesterday that it’d be difficult for UEFA not to take this stance.
What I mean by that is, there is a CL place needing filled by an SFA/SPFL nomination.
Who do they nominate, and why?

Just goes to show you how totally deluded UEFA are about the ongoing crisis throughout Europe and beyond because of this virus.

Hope when all this is done there is a breakaway from this organisation they are completely not fit for purpose and there stance and morals borderline a dictatorship.

Shocking.

I posted on a thread yesterday that it’d be difficult for UEFA not to take this stance.
What I mean by that is, there is a CL place needing filled by an SFA/SPFL nomination.

Surely it’s the SFA that nominates the teams as qualified for European competitions, like when Motherwell took Rangers position. We merely agree that last year's standings are carried forward. However there are no qualifiers required for those that remain in the competition this season.

Simple. Legally sound.

Trust a Scottish Sun ‘journalist’ to interpret it that way rather than the way everyone else is (that ending seasons prematurely whether voiding or gifting titles not yet won could impact European qualification).

hate to say this but the UK are projected to have a worse case death rate than any others in europe at this point in time if trends / models are correct.

look guys you cant enter the champions league as champions, 2nd place or so on if coefficient allows if you have not won that right. It makes the whole competition even more of a fraud.

UEFA are correct here. You cannot start gifting teams a place, Gent are an embarrassment with their representative voting this way in Belgium as he has a major say.

Surely it’s the SFA that nominates the teams as qualified for European competitions, like when Motherwell took Rangers position. We merely agree that last year's standings are carried forward. However there are no qualifiers required for those that remain in the competition this season.

Simple. Legally sound.
Was about to post much the same thing. Assuming the season cannot be finished, the SFA has 2 realistic options for nominating teams for UEFA competition:
1. Use the final standings from last season
2. Use the standing from current season at the time of closure.
Option 2 seems realistic to me and it doesn't need to mean that they are crowned champions, that's a separate issue.

Was about to post much the same thing. Assuming the season cannot be finished, the SFA has 2 realistic options for nominating teams for UEFA competition:
1. Use the final standings from last season
2. Use the standing from current season at the time of closure.
Option 2 seems realistic to me and it doesn't need to mean that they are crowned champions, that's a separate issue.

hang fire m8, peter lawwell has told keith what should happen.

The fact is that they don't actually say that voiding the season will mean no European football next season. UEFA make no mention of voiding leagues.
What UEFA say is that participation is determined by the results at the end of a full domestic competition and a premature termination would cast doubts about the fulfilment of such condition.
This could apply if the league is declared void but could also be applicable if a league (like the Belgians) is terminated early and winners/losers announced by the relevant Association.
They are also very careful to say that it would "cast doubt" as opposed to saying that it would mean the requirement couldn't be met and, as such, they would exclude such countries from participating in Europe the following year. They clearly don't want to fully commit and then have to back track when the German, Italian or Spanish league doesn't actually finish.
They want to pressgang the various leagues into finding away to complete their outstanding fixtures so that their premier tournaments can be resumed and the cash-cow continue.
Football really is not coming across well just now.

If all the Individual FA’s come out and annul the leagues then what will UEFA say, this should happen they can’t be bullied and blackmailed maybe we will see as time passes life’s being put before football matches - how they can realistically believe or talk about completing this season with Europe’s death toll above 30,000 and increasing every day is ludicrous

“Achieved at the end of a full domestic competition”

Those words also suggest that settling on current standings would not be acceptable as it is not the end of a full domestic competiton.

These words are being manipulated to suit certain peoples agendas.

The fact is that if the leagues are not played to a finish, each FA will be asked to decide on what teams are nominated to enter next seasons CL and EL.

Beyond that Uefa won’t give a fûck. They won’t care how each FA arrives at that decision.

Simply put, Real Madrid, Lazio and a few others will not allow the clubs currently sitting top of their leagues to be awarded the title when they are so narrowly behind. They might however accept the current standings being used to decide European places on the premise that the league trophy is not handed out to their rivals.

I fully expect the SPFL to award the filth the title and hide behind words similar to that in the OP however.

Last edited:
The thread header is simply wrong. UEFA said no such thing. Here is the Twitter post:

..”Since participation in UEFA club competitions is determined by the sporting result achieved at the end of a full domestic competition, a premature termination would cast doubts about the fulfillment of such condition.”

The phrase used is premature termination NOT null and void. Does premature termination mean null and void? That is not clear. Premature termination could mean declaring a club to be the champions without finishing the season.
Grieve who is a Timmy is interpreting the phrase as meaning what he wants it to mean. Giving the title to a team who have not as yet won it is clearly premature termination. Well I think so - and my view is just as relevant as Grieve's view.
We do not, as yet, actually know what UEFA mean.

UEFA want nations to hold fire. This virus will cause over 100000 deaths in Europe. Some idiot at the Sun can't read and insists on click bait headlines.

Simple. Legally sound.

If we're not willing to give up the league, why would we be willing to give up the Champions League qualifier spot that goes with it and that could bank us £40m+?

The thread header is simply wrong. UEFA said no such thing. Here is the Twitter post:

..”Since participation in UEFA club competitions is determined by the sporting result achieved at the end of a full domestic competition, a premature termination would cast doubts about the fulfillment of such condition.”

The phrase used is premature termination NOT null and void. Does premature termination mean null and void? That is not clear. Premature termination could mean declaring a club to be the champions without finishing the season.
Grieve who is a Timmy is interpreting the phrase as meaning what he wants it to mean. Giving the title to a team who have not as yet won it is clearly premature termination. Well I think so - and my view is just as relevant as Grieve's view.
We do not, as yet, actually know what UEFA mean.
You're absolutely correct. I'd just like to add though uefa are an absolute disgrace.
Another statement saying a lot but clearing up absolutely %^*& all. The governing body for football in Europe and they can't or won't make a decision.
Fine, if you want the leagues to finish, set a date, come up with a plan and get them played. If it can't be done, tell everyone what happens if that's the case. Show a bit of leadership.
Unfortunately, uefa don't care about football, only money.

The longer this drags on, the more very much more likely I am to be done consuming any football outside of games that involve us.

Collectively footballers are earning hundreds upon hundreds of millions of pounds. Add in executives and such at UEFA and it ramps up even more.

Retired doctors are going back into the NHS and dying. And those at the forefront of the peoples game are unable to stick their heads up from in the trough to truly comprehend the world around them.

Barring our games, I'm done with European football. The world of football isn't a country or a climate I can even recognise any more.

Credit to the individual clubs who have taken steps, but honest to goodness man. If I need to read another story that some premier league manager has agreed a salary cut like he is some kind of modern day saint I am going to do myself a mischief.

Outside of a few, football from the governing bodies to the clubs down have disgraced themselves during all this.

Not sure I can enjoy something again knowing full well how rotten it is.

Robert is just repeating what Peter told him to write.

Simple. Legally sound.
Correct. The SFA nominate the club's to represent Scotland in European competition. Granted this is normally based on League positions along with the cup winners.

This is anything but normal circumstances however.

Last edited:
I maintain that the OP's heading is a false interpretation of what the UEFA statement means.

Simply - they are warning about making final decisions “prematurely”, they are not saying that null & void can’t be the final decision when all other avenues have been exhausted.

Agreed. Simply handing the title to celtc now would constitute a premature ending to the season just as much as declaring the league as null and void would.

Full statement, apologies if already posted:
Dear member associations, Dear member leagues, Dear member clubs,
The current health crisis caused by the spread of covid-19 has no precedents in our society and, on top of the threat posed to public health, which is the uncontested number one priority, it has dramatically hit all industries and economic sectors. Football is no exception and since several weeks now all our competitions, both at domestic and European level, have been forced to suspension.
In such a serious scenario, European football has nonetheless been capable of reacting as one united family. The common standpoint struck on 17 March by UEFA, the European Club Association and the European Leagues was that every effort had to be made in order to allow all domestic and European competitions to be concluded in compliance with their formats. It is of paramount importance that even a disruptive event like this epidemic does not prevent our competitions from being decided on the field, in accordance with their rules and that all sporting titles are awarded on the basis of results. As responsible leaders in our sport, this is what we must ensure, until the last possibility exists and whilst planning, operational and regulatory solutions are available.
We walk united in the awareness that only an extraordinary coordinated effort of all competition organisers can help European football out of the crisis, recovering in full its core asset, the competitions. With no unity and no solidarity, nobody will be able to get out of the crisis as we are all interdependent.
Such commitment has taken concrete shape in two joint working groups established to deal with calendar options as well as with the legal, regulatory and financial consequences of a potential calendar overstretch that would make the 2019/20 competitions spill over 30 June.
The working groups have held several meetings and are in daily contact to ensure that the overriding objective of taking all competitions to their natural end is met. In order to achieve it, concrete plans are being drawn up. Their work is now focusing on scenarios encompassing the months of July and August, including the possibility that the UEFA competitions restart after the completion of domestic leagues. A joint management of calendars is strictly required as the conclusion of the current season must be coordinated with the start of the new one, which may be partly impacted because of the overstretch.
Closely following the development of the current situation, the calendar working group will indicate as soon as possible, and ideally by mid-May, which of the plans can be enacted for the completion of the season without leaving anyone behind. Stopping competitions should really be the last resort after acknowledging that no calendar alternative would allow to conclude the season.
Nyon, 2 April 2020,

We are confident that football can restart in the months to come – with conditions that will be dictated by public authorities - and believe that any decision of abandoning domestic competitions is, at this stage, premature and not justified. Since participation in UEFA club competitions is determined by the sporting result achieved at the end of a full domestic competition, a premature termination would cast doubts about the fulfilment of such condition. UEFA reserves the right to assess the entitlement of clubs to be admitted to the 2020/21 UEFA club competitions, in accordance with the relevant applicable competition regulations.
We know how much you share with us the core values of our sport and feel your support in our mission to protect the integrity of its competitions. We call on all and everyone to loyally back our joint endeavours in the collective interest of European football and trust your representatives in the working group.
With our gratitude, yours sincerely.
Aleksander Čeferin Andrea Agnelli Lars-Christer Olsson UEFA President ECA Chairman EL President
I read this as very positive from the perspective of no titles being ‘gifted’ mid season.

They might go straight to the group stages and not allow any qualifiers to make up the time. It not lose on the big money spinners.

It's arguably the one that would be less open to successful legal challenge than to try to second guess who might have ended up winning a league had it been completed. So many if's, but's and maybe's in the latter scenario you could imagine lawyers having a field day with it.

The longer this drags on, the more very much more likely I am to be done consuming any football outside of games that involve us.

Collectively footballers are earning hundreds upon hundreds of millions of pounds. Add in executives and such at UEFA and it ramps up even more.

Retired doctors are going back into the NHS and dying. And those at the forefront of the peoples game are unable to stick their heads up from in the trough to truly comprehend the world around them.

Barring our games, I'm done with European football. The world of football isn't a country or a climate I can even recognise any more.

Credit to the individual clubs who have taken steps, but honest to goodness man. If I need to read another story that some premier league manager has agreed a salary cut like he is some kind of modern day saint I am going to do myself a mischief.

Outside of a few, football from the governing bodies to the clubs down have disgraced themselves during all this.

Not sure I can enjoy something again knowing full well how rotten it is.
I’m very close to chucking football period. Everything surrounding this has sickened me. If they gift them the league I’m done. It’s not a sport I’d care about anymore.

%^*& knows how this is going to pan out but as I've said previously if rangers lie down and accept the scum being crowned champions in a league that wasn't finished I will be done with football

Seems to me the likelihood of completion be completed SPFL is very low. Therefore no title.
The big problem then is who is to be nominated for CL and the mega-bucks.
A compromise might be that those could normally stand a chance of CL and end up in EL divvy up the monies from UEFA with the CL entrant.

Well they’ll need to sort out the CL and EL places from this season first.
No?

UEFA don’t explicitly state that there’ll be no European football, they more threaten it. Still, I don’t see the likes of Liverpool screaming for the title. And I don’t see UEFA coming up with a solution to the league in Spain, or Scotland.

Back