Uefa warn Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen and Well they’ll be barred from Europe if SPFL declare champions

Haw Robert Grieve

Two fingers to you ya tube, telling us only null and void was a problem. Agenda.

Belgium guy says

Favorable for solidarity within European football, our representatives called for a variable approach to this concept which makes it possible to take into account both the specificities of each league. A new interview between the same parties will be scheduled within a week or so."

Belgium is declaring a champion based on playing once home and away. A fair and sporting decision.

This option is available to Scotland based on the league as at *date is wrong* some point in time where Rangers - St Johnstone was outstanding

Gosh, I wonder what FIFA will say if UEFA bars, from Europe, clubs representing the top ranked country in the world?

No Scottish teams in Europe next season would be a hammer blow to the Tim's, how many millions would they have left in the bank with no CL for a season.

UEFA supremo Aleksander Ceferin has warned the SPFL that they ARE jeopardising their teams' spots in next year's European competitions if they cancel the Premiership early and declare the title in Celtic's favour.

The main man at the European governing body has also ordered leagues to play out to a finish, "without supporters if necessary".

Ceferin has sought to set the record straight after the Belgian Pro League broke ranks - pending ratification - to declare their campaign in Club Bruges' favour yesterday.

An official Pro League source said that clear-the-air talks which took place between Uefa and the Belgian authorities this morning had been "constructive", with Pro League chairman Peter Croonen saying "they told me five times that it is not a threat".

But that tone appears to have changed, judging by an interview given by Ceferin to German TV channel ZDF.

In it, he states: 'This is not the way. Solidarity is not a one-way street.

You cannot ask for help and then decide for yourself whether it is convenient.

"That's why I say: Belgium and the other leagues that are thinking of cancelling the season risk participating in European competitions next year.

UEFA requires that the competitions, if justified, be played. Without supporters if necessary.

"Football is absolutely not the same without fans.

"But it's better to have football back on TV without supporters than no football at all. "

A Pro League spokesman insisted a further meeting on the subject was scheduled for next week.

Their statement read: “A remote meeting was held for over an hour this Friday morning between UEFA, the RBFA and the Pro League.

"This constructive meeting allowed Belgian football leaders to explain in detail the health and economic reasons for the recommendation issued yesterday by the Board of Directors and to challenge any approach that would consist in forcing a league to continue competing in the current state of the health crisis on pain of not being able to participate in European competitions next season.

“Favorable for solidarity within European football, our representatives called for a variable approach to this concept which makes it possible to take into account both the specificities of each league. A new interview between the same parties will be scheduled within a week or so."

Developments in Belgium are being closely monitored in Scotland, where the SPFL have scheduled crisis talks for early next week as they ponder whether to declare the Scottish season over due to the coronavirus crisis.

A series of meetings are scheduled to early next week - amid increasing reports that the SPFL could hand a ninth successive top flight title to Celtic, who currently lead rivals Rangers by 13 points having played a game more.

SPFL sources are gloomy about the possibility of getting the league completed by the new provisional Uefa deadline of late July - a week or so earlier than their English Premier League counterparts are required to do.

Like the Belgian example, any decision to call off the league would be a board decision in the first instance, which would then be ratified by the clubs' rank and file.
Where is this from?

So u have someone contracted to June the 1st!
We now know there won’t be football until
At least July!

What exactly happens, the club may not be able to afford to extend That players contract? Even for 1
Month!

I love Rangers and I can’t wait to see us run out again but I am finished with the rest

This sickens me the way footballing authorities are acting, I love football and live and breath it but this is disgusting greed.
You just have to Google the guy who is quoted, a Slovenian Lawyer who I doubt has kicked a ball in his life

I don't subscribe to Sky, BT or any other football covering supplier. I don't watch the EPL or any other major league being boosted by the ridiculous amounts of money being given to them by Sky etc. If i'm not at the Rangers game I go to the pub to watch the away games.
It's time to "vote with your feet" ie, ditch these companies that are forcing UEFAs hand. Its Ibrox, the pub or RTV for me from now on.

I think this is the only outcome that doesn't cause a rammy.

Null & Void leads to problems with European places for the following season and potential legal action from Sky & BT for failure to provide what they paid for.

Finalising places with 8/9 games still to play is also off the table. We could still win, Aberdeen could still get 3rd, Hearts can avoid relegation.

Even if football doesn't restart til August, we need to finish this season then start a 2 or 3 year plan to get normal schedules back. Whether that's through cancelling winter breaks, stopping domestic cups for a few years etc. Needs to be discussed.

The coronavirus couldn't give a fook for UEFA or telly companies, mate. If the SPFL League programme can't be completed, which is an impossibility before their own final League game date of May 17th, then the League season is thus declared incomplete and over. There can be no League winner after May 17th, especially as teams are not legally obligated to compete after that date.

The coronavirus couldn't give a fook for UEFA or telly companies, mate. If the SPFL League programme can't be completed, which is an impossibility before their own final League game date of May 17th, then the League season is thus declared incomplete and over. There can be no League winner after May 17th, especially as teams are not legally obligated to compete after that date.

No legal obligation but if teams stubbornly stick to that line then Sky/BT will demand part of their TV money be refunded or take legal action against the SPFL to get it.

Then there's no Europe for 20/21 as there's no league placings to determine who is in the qualifiers.

2 potentially massive dunts to our finances, be careful what you wish for is all I say.

football in general has been found wanting during this crisis, players greed, clubs expecting taxpayer to cover wages of non playing staff etc etc and abject weak failure by governing bodies at home and abroad. Folk are dying and football still grubbing around in the gutter

No legal obligation but if teams stubbornly stick to that line then Sky/BT will demand part of their TV money be refunded or take legal action against the SPFL to get it.

Then there's no Europe for 20/21 as there's no league placings to determine who is in the qualifiers.

2 potentially massive dunts to our finances, be careful what you wish for is all I say.

SKY / BT wouldn't have a leg to stand on in Court in attempting to sue the SPFL for ceasing fixtures during a global pandemic, mate. Genuine sporting integrity must be upheld.

Hence why we and others have been dragged into the headline! Should read UEFA warm SPFL and Celtic! Why would anyone else have an interest!
Because they are the clubs who would currently qualify for Europa cup. The will also be barred if the tims are awarded the title.

SKY / BT wouldn't have a leg to stand on in Court in attempting to sue the SPFL for ceasing fixtures during a global pandemic, mate.

If you don't think they had a team of lawyers going through their contract to make sure they received every fixture for their dough then you're being naive mate.

These big corporations do not take chances.

Arguably immoral but again a soulless satellite company will not give one %^*& about that. They will already be down plenty from people canceling subscriptions.

If you don't think they had a team of lawyers going through their contract to make sure they received every fixture for their dough then you're being naive mate.

These big corporations do not take chances.

Arguably immoral but again a soulless satellite company will not give one %^*& about that. They will already be down plenty from people canceling subscriptions.

They could try suing in Court against " an act of God " which has wiped out their income. I don't see them winning, mate.

My understanding is exactly of that of the UEFA president.

Legally for it to be constituted a league you need to have played everyone at least once home and away. You can also call the final standings when the champion has been declared as they ahem amassed enough points to not be caught.

As it stands, as I have been informed, in situations like this, a League may be rolled back to when it was closest to the last point where it could be called a championship. That point is the last old firm game at the Pedodrome. Leaving just one game in the SPFL, Rangers V St Johnstone at Ibrox.

The problem is for the English Premier League is they are hoping that they can get two more games going, then if Liverpool win the title at Goodison, they can declare a title.

Celtic, cannot justify or demonstrate that they are that far ahead they cannot be caught, they just can't in any court. However... If the season is rolled back, any signings made in the transfer window cannot be used, so no Haji or Kamberi... But, we can use any player that has recovered from injury or is no longer suspended as the suspension would be deemed to be served, meaning the red card that Alfredo had taken his suspension for at Peado Park would be served and he would be eligible. I may be wrong on that one, but its one thing UEFA could deem as okay.

The only trophy that would be null and void is the Scottish Cup.

As for the UEFA Champions League and Europa League, that is another question.

They could try suing in Court against " an act of God " which has wiped out their income. I don't see them winning, mate.

I'm fairly certain it will be in the contract.

The multi-billion pound empire of Murdoch v the omnishambles of the SPFL leadership.

Tough call that.

UEFA supremo Aleksander Ceferin has warned the SPFL that they ARE jeopardising their teams' spots in next year's European competitions if they cancel the Premiership early and declare the title in Celtic's favour.

The main man at the European governing body has also ordered leagues to play out to a finish, "without supporters if necessary".

Ceferin has sought to set the record straight after the Belgian Pro League broke ranks - pending ratification - to declare their campaign in Club Bruges' favour yesterday.

An official Pro League source said that clear-the-air talks which took place between Uefa and the Belgian authorities this morning had been "constructive", with Pro League chairman Peter Croonen saying "they told me five times that it is not a threat".

But that tone appears to have changed, judging by an interview given by Ceferin to German TV channel ZDF.

In it, he states: 'This is not the way. Solidarity is not a one-way street.

You cannot ask for help and then decide for yourself whether it is convenient.

"That's why I say: Belgium and the other leagues that are thinking of cancelling the season risk participating in European competitions next year.

UEFA requires that the competitions, if justified, be played. Without supporters if necessary.

"Football is absolutely not the same without fans.

"But it's better to have football back on TV without supporters than no football at all. "

A Pro League spokesman insisted a further meeting on the subject was scheduled for next week.

Their statement read: “A remote meeting was held for over an hour this Friday morning between UEFA, the RBFA and the Pro League.

"This constructive meeting allowed Belgian football leaders to explain in detail the health and economic reasons for the recommendation issued yesterday by the Board of Directors and to challenge any approach that would consist in forcing a league to continue competing in the current state of the health crisis on pain of not being able to participate in European competitions next season.

“Favorable for solidarity within European football, our representatives called for a variable approach to this concept which makes it possible to take into account both the specificities of each league. A new interview between the same parties will be scheduled within a week or so."

Developments in Belgium are being closely monitored in Scotland, where the SPFL have scheduled crisis talks for early next week as they ponder whether to declare the Scottish season over due to the coronavirus crisis.

A series of meetings are scheduled to early next week - amid increasing reports that the SPFL could hand a ninth successive top flight title to Celtic, who currently lead rivals Rangers by 13 points having played a game more.

SPFL sources are gloomy about the possibility of getting the league completed by the new provisional Uefa deadline of late July - a week or so earlier than their English Premier League counterparts are required to do.

Like the Belgian example, any decision to call off the league would be a board decision in the first instance, which would then be ratified by the clubs' rank and file.
Only one interest here TV money. They are all bought and paid for. Time to bring the stack of cards down

football in general has been found wanting during this crisis, players greed, clubs expecting taxpayer to cover wages of non playing staff etc etc and abject weak failure by governing bodies at home and abroad. Folk are dying and football still grubbing around in the gutter
It's never going to happen but wouldn't it be great if UEFA just declared all league competitions null and void and instead of next seasons Champions League and Europa Cup competitions taking place they organised a series of high profile games where all (or even half) the proceeds went to worthy causes affected by this global disaster?
I know it's too much to ask but writing off the usual benefits to some of the richest clubs in World Football for ONE season for the sake of the benefit of billions of people worldwide but would surely enshrine football as indeed being "more than a game?"
This of course would need the good folk of UEFA to be radical, less self serving and inventive so nothing of the sort will actually happen!

What would UEFA do if all European Leagues were declared null and void - They're wouldn't be a Champions League or a Europa League then

This is a good point. I have a feeling that one of the big guns like France, Spain or Italy will declare their season void in the next few weeks and it will have a snowball effect across the continent. UEFA will have no choice but to accept it or have no club competitions next season.

The game could've done with some real leadership from UEFA and they have just ended up looking weak and indesicive. The shit these countries are dealing with at the moment I highly doubt they'll wait about to see what UEFA tells them to do.

I'm fairly certain it will be in the contract.

The multi-billion pound empire of Murdoch v the omnishambles of the SPFL leadership.

Tough call that.

Acts of God, such terms for natural or supernatural events as an epidemic, are not the blame of the SPFL or UEFA, mate, and no Court would accept that claim either. Murdoch could try an make an arse of himself in trying to say they were, tbh.

How can Uefa realistically ask players to play out the season, football is a contact sport, there is a deadly virus that can be passed on within 2 metres of anyone with the virus, Uefa will open themselves up to lawsuits if any of the players or family members get the virus and possibly die following playing games, the virus won't pick and choose who it infects, they have to null and void or risk players and their families lives and what about the officials, they would probably go on strike if asked to work, be interesting to see who will make that decision, they are not essential staff.

Acts of God, such terms for natural or supernatural events as an epidemic, are not the blame of the SPFL or UEFA, mate, and no Court would accept that claim either. Murdoch could try an make an arse of himself in trying to say they were, tbh.

There doesn't need to be blame for something to breach contractual law.

If we have agreed to provide X games per season and don't do so, then they haven't met contractual obligations and there is a case for part of the outlay to be reimbursed.

These companies don't leave things to chance.

Roddy Forsyth of the Telegraph saying the decision has been made and they will be crowned champions.

Decision was made so they could hand out prizemoney so clubs dont go out the game blah blah blah.

Disgrace

Haw Robert Grieve

Two fingers to you ya tube, telling us only null and void was a problem. Agenda.

Belgium guy says

Favorable for solidarity within European football, our representatives called for a variable approach to this concept which makes it possible to take into account both the specificities of each league. A new interview between the same parties will be scheduled within a week or so."

Belgium is declaring a champion based on playing once home and away. A fair and sporting decision.

This option is available to Scotland based on the league as at *date is wrong* some point in time where Rangers - St Johnstone was outstanding
Mr Grieve is a horrible little bastard ,who claims to be a bear ???? and anyone in Renfrew should know this --this is a guy who went away with a so called friends wife ---who told the gold digging boot that he would be at the top of editing in few years earning shitloads --the boot took the bait and know R Grieves is under the thumb and her ex is happy as Larry ….

Roddy Forsyth of the Telegraph saying the decision has been made and they will be crowned champions.

Decision was made so they could hand out prizemoney so clubs dont go out the game blah blah blah.

Disgrace
If true this goes against UEFA guidelines and would show the SPL up for what they are.

I just think our “leaders” are too big shitebags to go against the big guns.

Haw Robert Grieve

Belgium guy says

Well done again Nelster. If the Juliper League is going to be used as an exemplar for what the SPFL decides then only one game needs played to finalise the SPFL Premier League and that is Rangers v St. Johnstone.

However, from a personal point of view, I really don't give a shit if they get gifted the title now and I really don't want it for ourselves. The trophies now are death trophies. The silverware and medals will have metaphoric black ribbons on them. Who in their right mind wants death trophies and medals.

Between them, the cash obsessed UEFA and EPL and the miserable mentally challenged infested SPFL are killing football. God knows in what form it will re-emerge after this is all done.

UEFA are trying to bully and blackmail the smaller leagues into finishing the season, whatever it takes for the simple fact that theres literally billions of pounds at stake in TV money for the Big 5 Leagues. It's a fucking disgrace in all honesty. I'd love to see nothing more than the Big 5 Leagues to go bust, the TV money has ruined football anyway. It's time to rip it up and start again on a more even, competitive playing field for everyone.

Putting corporate interests over the health and safety of the players and public they are an absolute disgrace.
Great post

That's exactly what this is all about. Rumminigge said it was about the money as the german league could lose 770 mill. The big 5 get their pay out and the rest will need to fall in line.

If true this goes against UEFA guidelines and would show the SPL up for what they are.

I just think our “leaders” are too big shitebags to go against the big guns.
According to Forsyths 'exclusive' tonight the clubs are pushing for it because they need the prizemoney to meet bills.

I don’t think Sky or BT would try to claim any money back from an incomplete season . Can you imagine the negative publicity they would receive and also they people in charge would just ditch them from the next set of contract talks .

football would need to stick together and any sponsor trying to claim money back shunned by all football supporters and never given any opportunity to get involved with football again. I know this would be a tall order but I reckon it would work

I don’t think Sky or BT would try to claim any money back from an incomplete season . Can you imagine the negative publicity they would receive and also they people in charge would just ditch them from the next set of contract talks .

football would need to stick together and any sponsor trying to claim money back shunned by all football supporters and never given any opportunity to get involved with football again. I know this would be a tall order but I reckon it would work
They are losing fortunes themselves.

CanalPlus and BeinSports have witheld it in France

One thing I've took from all this, is that football is so far removed from what it used to be. No hint of compassion anywhere to be seen, just squabbling among themselves and it's all down to money.

I can see the tv companies trying to run a 4 week tv deal with empty grounds. They still get their viewers and advertising money.The fans can whistle.
Sky has said they will resume payment when live sport comes back, I think I will need to remind them that pubs will not be allowed to show it not even behind closed doors

Would we then have recourse to sue because we were still in the Europa league when it stopped this year!

Technically we could still have won it so where does that leave their idea?

if our post code was g40, the daily record would be running stories an insider says UEFA are ready to hand us the trophy.

Doubt that mate . How can you sue some organisations for money when games were cancelled due to a world wide virus.think the old act of god would come into it .

Fcuk Corrupt UEFA, Fcuk the Corrupt SFA and SPFL , people’s lives come first the Club need to take a moral stand on this it’s a fcuking joke circus now.

So... What happens with Europa League? We are still due at least one game. Are we to honestly believe that they will make us play it come August? What about Qualifiers for Europe, they start around late June?

They want the 2020 Euros changed to 2021 so how does that work if there needs to be a season and a quarter still to play in a season window, with European competitions to complete and restart?

They need to get a grip. Somethings are more important than football and they should be leading by example rather than just piss about waiting for the leagues to decide, only for them to say "no that's wrong"

I can't see anyway it's going to start this side of summer particularly in Spain and Italy. I doubt they are going to block Real Madrid and Juventus.

I’m 100% confident our club will fight their corner.
I would expect some backing from Hearts ( assuming they were to be relegated) but not confident of any other support.

Back