UK and Ireland to bid for 2030 world cup

Scotland, England and Wales would be able to do it ourselves, don’t see why Ireland would be involved. 5 hosts is a bit much!
Surely Northern Ireland and Windsor Park should be included?

I agree there’s no need for Eire to join the fray, bit I imaging there might be politics behind their inclusion.

The Republic have done %^*& all but play hard ball politically with the UK over Brexit and yet we hand them this, which will not be appreciated in the slightest. Disgraceful decision.

As for NI it would either have to be temporary seating like that stadium in Ekaterinburg for Russia 2018 or a brand new multi use (rugby/football/gaa) stadium in Belfast.
No chance Windsor will be used for a group game!! NI will be used as a training base for teams

Normally groups are not staged in the same area/stadiums. Teams can travel thousands of miles.

A 48-team tournament would probably need 16 stadiums.
England are capable of holding that just in the south of England.

There's probably not another traditional footballing nation that are more physically qualified to hold the competition. Germany might come close.

They should use it as an excuse to level Hampden and try again.

They should also use it as an excuse to level the Piggery and forget all about it.

Hampden is a terrible stadium. Stands are too far back from the pitch and they're not steep enough. Lack of at least 2 tiers means that if you're at the back of one of the stands then you can't really see whats going on beyond the half way line. Really shite for anybody actually going to games. Should have been levelled and rebuilt from scratch.

Or never rebuilt at all. Scotland could easily do with 1 large national stadium - Murrayfield - and share it between football and rugby.

Hampden is a terrible stadium. Stands are too far back from the pitch and they're not steep enough. Lack of at least 2 tiers means that if you're at the back of one of the stands then you can't really see whats going on beyond the half way line. Really shite for anybody actually going to games. Should have been levelled and rebuilt from scratch.

Or never rebuilt at all. Scotland could easily do with 1 large national stadium - Murrayfield - and share it between football and rugby.
Definitely build a good Hampden, not use Murrayfield. The home of Scottish football doesnt belong in Edinburgh and with those pish guzzling rugby nonces

Definitely build a good Hampden, not use Murrayfield. The home of Scottish football doesnt belong in Edinburgh and with those pish guzzling rugby nonces

A nation of less than 6 million people does not need 4 stadiums in the central belt with a combined capacity of around 240,000

Does Windsor Park have the space around it for temporary seats?

I've only ever seen it from a distance...
There’s the possibility of them maybe filling in the corners more but it’s not exactly obvious. The rebuild didn’t take into consideration any future additional capacity.

Also an issue is that the North Stand (the big one always shown in the TV) is tight to Olympia Drive right behind it, plus the main gates and entrance to the stadium are right behind the Railway End.

Absolute certainty is that the Chukkies won’t let Windsor get redeveloped again without them getting their Casement Park white elephant built for them as well.

They’re having a laugh with the capacity anyways. Massively over what they need, at taxpayers expense.
It's the GaaGaa way.
Why stick your own hands in your pockets if some credulous stupid Brits will happily pay it for you.
Can't say I blame them, to be honest. If our 'betters' are gullible enough to do it, why not take advantage.

Croke Park will be used also most likely
At the minute it won't make uefa standards. They could put temporary seating on the terraced end, of course. And there's plenty of time to work on the stadium, but I can't see the GAA being overly keen to spend all that just so they can stage the one or two hated garrison games. Of course the Irish government might pay for it, thats more than possible, but the Aviva is up to uefa standard and I don't know they'd want two Dublin venues. But if they want a group based in 'Ireland' and if Windsor isn't suitable <Mystic Meg moment - oooooh, it won't be> then maybe they could use it.

Wouldn't that be embarrassing? The World cup rebuff a proper football stadium to prefer two from some rival sports in a neighbouring foreign nation.

Last edited:
At the minute it won't make uefa standards. They could put temporary seating on the terraced end, of course. And there's plenty of time to work on the stadium, but I can't see the GAA being overly keen to spend all that just so they can stage the one or two hated garrison games. Of course the Irish government might pay for it, thats more than possible, but the Aviva is up to uefa standard and I don't know they'd want two Dublin venues. But if they want a group based in 'Ireland' and if Windsor isn't suitable <Mystic Meg moment - oooooh, it won't be> then maybe they could use it.

Wouldn't that be embarrassing? The World cup rebuff a proper football stadium to prefer two from some rival sports in a neighbouring foreign nation.
Does Croke Park not hold about 80k?

Does Croke Park not hold about 80k?
Yeah, but it's a GAA ground. It was never designed to host football so uefa and fifa safety and design standards didn't apply. For a start stadia have to be all seater and Croke Pk has a huge uncovered terraced end. I'm not sure if the standards state that all ends to be covered, I don't think so, but even then Irish weather means Fifa won't relish the sight of spectators sitting in temporary plastic seats miserable and dripping wet to be beamed around the planet.

And there was a hell of a fuss when they reluctantly allowed the egg chasers of football's gay cousin to host some rugby internationals there a few years ago when the Aviva was being built. I think the Irish government leaned on them for that too, threatening to withold grants and planning permission etc.
And that was for Rugby, they hate football a lot more.
They'll not do it without being generously reimbursed by somebody else. It's the GAA way.

Yeah, but it's a GAA ground. It was never designed to host football so uefa and fifa safety and design standards didn't apply. For a start stadia have to be all seater and Croke Pk has a huge uncovered terraced end. I'm not sure if the standards state that all ends to be covered, I don't think so, but even then Irish weather means Fifa won't relish the sight of spectators sitting in temporary plastic seats miserable and dripping wet to be beamed around the planet.

And there was a hell of a fuss when they reluctantly allowed the egg chasers of football's gay cousin to host some rugby internationals there a few years ago when the Aviva was being built. I think the Irish government leaned on them for that too, threatening to withold grants and planning permission etc.
And that was for Rugby, they hate football a lot more.
They'll not do it without being generously reimbursed by somebody else. It's the GAA way.
Ah get you now although they did allow 'Soccer' to be played there too I think.

It could be redeveloped or it doesn't even have to be at Windsor. Some people just don't want nice things.
Nice things cost. Neither of those options are currently feasible. And I doubt they will be. The IFA just hasn't the cash or will to do so.

I'd love for you to be right, but I just can't see it.

Nice things cost. Neither of those options are currently feasible. And I doubt they will be. The IFA just hasn't the cash or will to do so.

I'd love for you to be right, but I just can't see it.

The IFA won't be funding it, it will be the UK govt you would think. They will be putting money in to bringing other stadia up to scratch. I think a few naysayers are going to be in for a shock.

World Cup's are about more than football, money doesn't go where it's logical, it's political. NI simply cannot be cut off from this. It has been called a joint bid with the 5 FA's name put to that, that does not mean we will be hosting training camps.

The IFA won't be funding it, it will be the UK govt you would think. They will be putting money in to bringing other stadia up to scratch. I think a few naysayers are going to be in for a shock.

World Cup's are about more than football, money doesn't go where it's logical, it's political. NI simply cannot be cut off from this. It has been called a joint bid with the 5 FA's name put to that, that does not mean we will be hosting training camps.
There is nowhere here to stage it. It's as brutal as that.

It's not just a few grand thrown about, it's hundreds of millions needed. The IFA now own Windsor Pk, it's private land. The authorities cannot just go thumping in and build whatever they please willy nilly. And nor should they be able.
Also it's not as if there's much of a political will here for it. Remember that half of our elected government are actively dedicated in undermining the very concept of a Northern Ireland.

The Westminster government will be in no way involved in dishing out large sums of taxpayers cash to any stadia development here.
Quite rightly.
It's not their business, they'll say, that's why you have devolution, you deal with it.
There is absolutely zero benefit politically for them to do so. The electorate on the mainland, England especially, would be actively against it if it was proposed. I wouldn't blame them. I'd be against it in their position too.

We're in this position for mainly two reasons
The active hostility of the government department in charge of overseeing sports at the time. The minister in charge was that dog arsed ugly Shinner, Carole NiCthulhu, or whatever the fúck she was pretending her name was. Who at every turn made any meaningful development of Windsor a bureaucratic and hostile nightmare.

And secondly - and this cannot be stressed enough - the ball aching stupidity and incompetence of clown car footballing fùckwits and shit shovellers that pass by the name of the IFA.

When development to the surrounding area first started the very first thing they did was dig fúcken big holes within inches of the back of the Kop Stand. Which after a packed bouncy crowd was there the evening before, started to crack fall into the hole.
The whole stand had to be demolished and rebuilt at horrendous extra cost - met by insurance, sure, but not doing any good whatsoever to any future premiums that the IFA will have to pay.

The area that Windsor is built on was known as 'the Bog Meadows', before any housing was put there. It's far from the ideal site for very large, heavy concrete structures.
And imagine if the stand had started to crack up literally a couple of hours earlier than it did when packed to the gills. The result could have been appalling.

The South Stand design the IFA signed off on was, well, shambolic. Does this look to be the main stand of a World Cup final hosting stadia to you?

national-football-stadium.jpg

Let's imagine that you may be right and Westminster will gush forth plentiful funds to pay for a new national stadium capable of holding WC games.
It won't be at Windsor.
And if not there where? If it's built then they won't have any use for it after any WC.
Rugby and the GAA are happy where they are. They own their grounds and have control of all revenue that they accrue from them. Why pay rent and lose profit going to somewhere new where there's no tradition or benefit.
Ditto for the IFA. What would they do with Windsor, for all that it is?
Sure, renting it out to Linfield, but that will in no way cover all the upkeep.

Again, where will they stick a new stadium?
The Titanic Qtr boat has sailed (pardon the pun). There's no room there now.
Ormeau Pk? I can see the enviro loonies loving that.
It would have to be the Belfast area, seeing how the Maze fiasco went.
Where though? It would be somewhere supposedly religiously and politically neutral which narrows options even more and ii will need infrastructure and retail and parking facilities.
Oh, and deal with Republican opposition no matter where it is out of habit and spite.

To get Windsor up to it's present inadequate state, it was a decade long struggle.
And that's with a stadium already in place without too much major infrastructure and zoning issues.
We have eight years to get something new, someplace else.
And from a standing start with bitter, hostile and vociferous political opposition.

No, it's not happening. No will, no cash, no chance.

Last edited:

It's not just a few grand thrown about, it's hundreds of millions needed. The IFA now own Windsor Pk, it's private land. The authorities cannot just go thumping in and build whatever they please willy nilly. And nor should they be able.
Also it's not as if there's much of a political will here for it. Remember that half of our elected government are actively dedicated in undermining the very concept of a Northern Ireland.

The Westminster government will be in no way involved in dishing out large sums of taxpayers cash to any stadia development here.
Quite rightly.
It's not their business, they'll say, that's why you have devolution, you deal with it.
There is absolutely zero benefit politically for them to do so. The electorate on the mainland, England especially, would be actively against it if it was proposed. I wouldn't blame them. I'd be against it in their position too.

The active hostility of the government department in charge of overseeing sports at the time. The minister in charge was that dog arsed ugly Shinner, Carole NiCthulhu, or whatever the fúck she was pretending her name was. Who at every turn made any meaningful development of Windsor a bureaucratic and hostile nightmare.

And secondly - and this cannot be stressed enough - the ball aching stupidity and incompetence of clown car footballing fùckwits and shit shovellers that pass by the name of the IFA.

When development to the surrounding area first started the very first thing they did was dig fúcken big holes within inches of the back of the Kop Stand. Which after a packed bouncy crowd was there the evening before, started to crack fall into the hole.
The whole stand had to be demolished and rebuilt at horrendous extra cost - met by insurance, sure, but not doing any good whatsoever to any future premiums that the IFA will have to pay.

The area that Windsor is built on was known as 'the Bog Meadows', before any housing was put there. It's far from the ideal site for very large, heavy concrete structures.
And imagine if the stand had started to crack up literally a couple of hours earlier than it did when packed to the gills. The result could have been appalling.

The South Stand design the IFA signed off on was, well, shambolic. Does this look to be the main stand of a World Cup final hosting stadia to you?

Let's imagine that you may be right and Westminster will gush forth plentiful funds to pay for a new national stadium capable of holding WC games.
It won't be at Windsor.
And if not there where? If it's built then they won't have any use for it after any WC.
Rugby and the GAA are happy where they are. They own their grounds and have control of all revenue that they accrue from them. Why pay rent and lose profit going to somewhere new where there's no tradition or benefit.

Where though? It would be somewhere supposedly religiously and politically neutral which narrows options even more and ii will need infrastructure and retail and parking facilities.
Oh, and deal with Republican opposition no matter where it is out of habit and spite.

To get Windsor up to it's present inadequate state, it was a decade long struggle.
And that's with a stadium already in place without too much major infrastructure and zoning issues.
And from a standing start with bitter, hostile and vociferous political opposition.

There is no talking to you, you are only looking at the here and now, so we will agree to disagree and leave it at that.

There is no talking to you, you are only looking at the here and now, so we will agree to disagree and leave it at that.
Fair enough. And I genuinely wish you are right. God knows we could do with a decent 25 or 30k capacity stadium. And maybe a year or three ago we might have had a chance of getting funding for it. But that time has passed and the outlook for the next four or five years is pretty bleak. It certainly not the sort of time that government, whether national or regional, will want to be accused of squandering billions on what are more or less just vanity projects in the long run. Especially not when that cash will be desperately needed for hospitals, roads and schools.
And forget about the IFA funding it. Even if they had the cash they'd just fúck it up. They always do.

But if you're right and I'm wrong, I will gladly apologise to you most profusely and buy you a pint at the lovely new ground to show my contrition. And I hope I will get the chance.

Quite rightly.

It won't be at Windsor.

Can't disagree with any of this! IFA - disaster, Windsor Park- disaster

England are capable of holding that just in the south of England.

There's probably not another traditional footballing nation that are more physically qualified to hold the competition. Germany might come close.
They aren't (at the minute). They have already said they aren't capable of hosting Euro 2020 on their own never mind an expanded World Cup.

As much as I would love an international tournament here in NI, it's not going to happen. Facilities are absolutely pish.

Back