UK and Ireland to bid for 2030 world cup

The English I think have just accepted that fifa will never award them a world cup tourney on their own. No other reason for them to involve the other home nations and irish
Its become more political i think. Gives governments an excuse to invest massively in infrastructure, jobs and tourism. Having that extend to the entire country would be seen as a positive. Although im unsure where ROI fits into that short of a wee bit of goodwill on the UK Governments part.

Also, I'm not on twitter (thank Christ), so I've just noticed the IFA handle is the Official Irish FA. Does that make those tinkers in Dublin the Provisionals?

I think with all 5 doing it then we could look at making the tournament bigger with more teams in it. I always thought that the tournament being held in more than 1 country so long as they are neighbours would be a good thing, like Portugal and Spain. It could also open the doors to smaller nations with 1 or 2 good stadiums to be involved, such as Russia, they could be the main host with a few of teh smaller countries next to them providing a stadium or 2 and get into the action.

I could see them going to the new Casement Park mate. Wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest.
They'd have to do some work. The place is an ashtray with floodlights. It does have floodlights right? Yeah it's got some sort of lamps at least.
I doubt it would make the lowest of Uefa standards at the minute. It's mostly terracing for a start. And I can't see the GaaGaa sticking their grubby Semtex stained mitts into their wallets to pay for it. They'll be wanting HMG to foot the bill. As usual.

I’d assume that most matches will be in England, with group matches at Ibrox, Piggery, Hampden, Millenium, Windsor Park & Aviva..
Knock out matches at all the national team stadiums.

The cost of bidding for and then hosting these tournaments is ridiculous. Given the cost of Covid that is going to take years to meet then the validity and point of the whole idea is really questionable IMO.

The Republic have done %^*& all but play hard ball politically with the UK over Brexit and yet we hand them this, which will not be appreciated in the slightest. Disgraceful decision.

As for NI it would either have to be temporary seating like that stadium in Ekaterinburg for Russia 2018 or a brand new multi use (rugby/football/gaa) stadium in Belfast.

The Republic have done %^*& all but play hard ball politically with the UK over Brexit and yet we hand them this, which will not be appreciated in the slightest. Disgraceful decision.

As for NI it would either have to be temporary seating like that stadium in Ekaterinburg for Russia 2018 or a brand new multi use (rugby/football/gaa) stadium in Belfast.[/B]

That idea crashed and burned (rightly) last time. Though if they'd planned it for a central(ish) Belfast site rather than a hunger strike shrine in a bog outside of Lisburn, it might have had better success.
Ironically it was the perenially clueless IFA who were most up for a shared stadium with the other sports. Rugby and the GAA wanted to run their own show and have their own revenue from any venue. I doubt they've changed their tunes since and now that the IFA own Windsor outright, for what it is, I'm not sure they'd want to leap back into the shared renting thing.
And the size of a bogball pitch would have been totally unsuitable for a decent international football ground. Like the West Ham Taxpayers stadium in London.

As NI doesn't have a suitable stadium, it should just be GB. Also can't see Ibrox getting used. As it will be dominated by England, I could see only one stadium per city outwith London in Scotlnd's case Hampden and Murrayfield.

Given I’d expect 12 stadiums to be needed
Wembley
Spurs
Arsenal
Liverpool
Man U
Newcastle
Villa Park
West Ham
Millennium
Hampden
Aviva
Windsor Park

Let's be realistic. England know that they'll never get awarded it outright by FIFA. Because FIFA despise them. England are also probably one of the three or four nations who could easily host the thing at the drop of a hat.

FIFA love the shared tournament idea - because they keep making the tournament bigger - and have stated (for public consumption anyway) that their priority is to let slightly smaller nations co-host and get a chance.
England are probably trying to play that card and Trojan horse themselves in.

Personally I'd love to see England host it again on their own. And a shared GB tournament is a decent substitute.
Though I can't see why we have to rope in the bogtrotters. They're like the shower avoiding, nonce vibing cousin you feel like you have to invite to your daughter's wedding. You don't want to but you know it will cause talking behind your back if you leave them out.

As for us, we don't have a ground that will come near to being able to host a WC finals game.
Stoke has. Hull has, Christ even Burnley with a population size a little bigger than Newtownabbey, has.
But Belfast, a so called capital, doesn't.

So unless Windsor is redeveloped again or someone pulls tens...or, more realistically, hundreds of millions of pounds from out their arse to pay for a brand spanking new football stadium somewhere in Belfast, then we will have to sit this one out.

I can't see either happening.

Or FIFA going for the idea of a British Isles WC either, to be honest.

That idea crashed and burned (rightly) last time. Though if they'd planned it for a central(ish) Belfast site rather than a hunger strike shrine in a bog outside of Lisburn, it might have had better success.
Ironically it was the perenially clueless IFA who were most up for a shared stadium with the other sports. Rugby and the GAA wanted to run their own show and have their own revenue from any venue. I doubt they've changed their tunes since and now that the IFA own Windsor outright, for what it is, I'm not sure they'd want to leap back into the shared renting thing.
And the size of a bogball pitch would have been totally unsuitable for a decent international football ground. Like the West Ham Taxpayers stadium in London.

Is Casement ever going to happen? They might have changed their tune. The main problem with the Maze was the location, for sure, it would need to be in Belfast.

Ulster gets a lot of fans these days, maybe a bigger stadium for them, 25k and 10k temporary seating? Will be interesting what comes of the study anyway.

Let's be realistic. England know that they'll never get awarded it by FIFA. because FIFA. despise them. England are also probably one of the three or four nations on the planets who could easily host the thing at the drop of a hat.
FIFA love the shared tournament idea - because they keep making the tournament bigger - and have stated (for public consumption anyway) that their priority is to let slightly smaller nations co-host and get a chance.
England are probably trying to play that card and Trojan horse themselves in.

Personally I'd love to see England host it again on their own. And a shared GB tournament is a decent substitute.
I can't see why we have to rope in the bogtrotters though. They're like the shower avoiding, nonce vibing cousin you feel like you have to invite to your daughter's wedding. You don't want to but you know it will cause talking behind your back if you leave them out.

As for us, we don't have a ground that will come near to being able to host a WC finals game.
Stoke has. Hull has, Christ even Burnley with a population size a little bigger than Newtownabbey, has.
But Belfast, a so called capital, doesn't.

So unless Windsor is redeveloped again or someone pulls tens...or, more realistically, hundreds of millions of pounds from out their arse to pay for a brand spanking new football stadium somewhere in Belfast, then we will have to sit this one out.

I can't see either happening.

Or FIFA going for the idea of a British Isles WC either, to be honest.
On the contrary mate, i think this is the kind of thing FIFA tend to love. If it involves NI then NI will get a new stadium or a massive redeveloped Windsor Park. I dont doubt that, new stadiums and redevelopments are carried out for literally every world cup. Plenty of the other stadiums involved in the bid will also be redeveloped (id actually like to see Rangers a. try and involve Ibrox in the tournament and b. Use it to have someone else cover the costs for expansion.)

On the contrary mate, i think this is the kind of thing FIFA tend to love. If it involves NI then NI will get a new stadium or a massive redeveloped Windsor Park. I dont doubt that, new stadiums and redevelopments are carried out for literally every world cup. Plenty of the other stadiums involved in the bid will also be redeveloped (id actually like to see Rangers a. try and involve Ibrox in the tournament and b. Use it to have someone else cover the costs for expansion.)

The problem with redeveloping Windsor Park again is that even at 18k it is far too big for Linfield as it is.

I’d assume that most matches will be in England, with group matches at Ibrox, Piggery, Hampden, Millenium, Windsor Park & Aviva..
Knock out matches at all the national team stadiums.

The cost of bidding for and then hosting these tournaments is ridiculous. Given the cost of Covid that is going to take years to meet then the validity and point of the whole idea is really questionable IMO.
I don’t see how you can have three venues all in the same city.

FIFA like to spread it out, which is difficult in a geographically small country like ours.

The police would also prefer this I’m sure.

It would be more sensible therefore if they used Murrayfield thereby splitting one group between Glasgow and Edinburgh.

The other game will almost certainly be played at Hampden, the tournament providing the SFA with the excuse it needs to upgrade it.

Is Casement ever going to happen? They might have changed their tune. The main problem with the Maze was the location, for sure, it would need to be in Belfast.

Ulster gets a lot of fans these days, maybe a bigger stadium for them, 25k and 10k temporary seating? Will be interesting what comes of the study anyway.

All the recent tournaments have had temporary seating, if it’s feasible to build a tunnel from Scotland to NI it’s sure as hell feasible to arrange some temporary seating at a stadium in Belfast.

Wouldn’t be too surprised if NI is fobbed off with training bases or suchlike. England will get the qualifying place, England has more than enough stadia, the other nations are seemingly involved purely for the PR to win the bid so stadia to be used outwith England are likely to be limited in number.

Given I’d expect 12 stadiums to be needed
Wembley
Spurs
Arsenal
Liverpool
Man U
Newcastle
Villa Park
West Ham
Millennium
Hampden
Aviva
Windsor Park
48 teams going into 16 groups. So I’d say 16 venues each hosting a group. You could even split it so games spread in London and Glasgow.

Wembley
London group (arsenal, Spurs, West Ham 1 each)
Glasgow (Ibrox, Hampden, piggery)
Edinburgh
Cardiff
Belfast (not sure on capacity)
Dublin
Liverpool
Manchester
Birmingham
Newcastle
Sunderland
Southampton
Leeds
Leicester
Choice of Sheffield, Bristol, Wolverhampton, Derby, Nottingham, stoke, hull, Brighton

Or you could take Wembley and Hampden out the groups (they will get final and third place match) and have 2 groups spread over the 3 London club grounds and 2 groups over the 3 scottish grounds left.

semi finals at Old Trafford and Cardiff

QFs at Wembley and 3 other biggest grounds not being used after.

There will also be a last 16 and last 32 KO round so other get used too.

And yes, I may have thought about this too much,

Last edited:
I don’t see how you can have three venues all in the same city.

FIFA like to spread it out, which is difficult in a geographically small country like ours.

The police would also prefer this I’m sure.

It would be more sensible therefore if they used Murrayfield thereby splitting one group between Glasgow and Edinburgh.

The other game will almost certainly be played at Hampden, the tournament providing the SFA with the excuse it needs to upgrade it.
The country of Qatar has one city and is going to have 12 stadiums mate. They can definitely work around it.

Going by the 2026 World Cup it will be 16 stadiums.

UK and Ireland bid would imo be 9 stadiums England, 3 Scotland, 2 Wales, 1 N.I. and 1 in the South.

You can bet your mortgage that Hampden will be the stadium used in Glasgow. Money thrown at Aberdeen to build their Stadium and most likely Murrayfield.

Back