UK and Ireland to bid for 2030 world cup

Heres a list of 16 hypothetical stadiums

Wembley, Old Trafford, Anfield, St James Park, Emirates, Etihad, Villa Park, Spurs, London City/Stadium of Light/St Marys, Hampden, Murrayfield, Ibrox, Piggery, Millennium, Aviva, Windsor

RoI involvement is purely political to swing support.

As for host nation(s) participation as a right, I cannot see how that works with five. Perhaps for 2030 we could have UK National Team ;)

The country of Qatar has one city and is going to have 12 stadiums mate. They can definitely work around it.
Qatar is an absolute sham unlike anything that’s gone before and hopefully will again.

The way I imagine a British Isles World Cup in terms of venues is something like this:

Group A (London - Wembley & Olympic Stadium or Emirates)
Group B (North West - Old Trafford & Anfield)
Group C (North East - St. James Park & Stadium Of Light)
Group D (Yorkshire - Elland Road & Hillsborough)
Group E (Midlands - Villa Park & Molineux)
Group F (Wales - Millennium & Liberty)
Group G (Scotland - Hampden & Murrayfield)
Group H (Ireland - Aviva & upgraded Windsor or new stadium)

I doubt either Ibrox or the Sty Dome would get a sniff.

I don’t see how you can have three venues all in the same city.

FIFA like to spread it out, which is difficult in a geographically small country like ours.

The police would also prefer this I’m sure.

It would be more sensible therefore if they used Murrayfield thereby splitting one group between Glasgow and Edinburgh.

The other game will almost certainly be played at Hampden, the tournament providing the SFA with the excuse it needs to upgrade it.
Agreed, but given the situation where you have the 3 major stadiums in the country within about a 3 mile distance of each other and 2 of those belong to competing clubs then I think they find a way.

It would be a token group game at Ibrox and Parkhead.. the knockout matches will be kept for Hampden.

Qatar is an absolute sham unlike anything that’s gone before and hopefully will again.

The way I imagine a British Isles World Cup in terms of venues is something like this:

Group A (London - Wembley & Olympic Stadium or Emirates)
Group B (North West - Old Trafford & Anfield)
Group C (North East - St. James Park & Stadium Of Light)
Group D (Yorkshire - Elland Road & Hillsborough)
Group E (Midlands - Villa Park & Molineux)
Group F (Wales - Millennium & Liberty)
Group G (Scotland - Hampden & Murrayfield)
Group H (Ireland - Aviva & upgraded Windsor or new stadium)

I doubt either Ibrox or the Sty Dome would get a sniff.
When you go to the other of writing it down.. I think that looks entirely workable. :D

I imagine if Everton's new shiny stadium goes ahead it will be a consideration for this competition over Anfield. If this WC bid is successful.
Especially considering Goodisons world cup history.

If successful, I hope we use the opportunity to bulldoze Hampden.

Can't see it being successful though, would mean 5 slots would automatically be taken up?

Can't see the rest of the world voting for that.

If successful, I hope we use the opportunity to bulldoze Hampden.

Can't see it being successful though, would mean 5 slots would automatically be taken up?

Can't see the rest of the world voting for that.

It would be out of the European places anyway. South America are putting in a rival bid with Uruguay, Argentina, Paraguay and Chile, half the continent ffs! With 48 teams it takes a lot to stage it, ruining the carnival in one country.

Non starter. £2.8 million is nowhere near enough for the serious bribes required to get the tournament

Majority of games would be played in England, let’s be honest. Needs to be over 40k seater for group games so that rules Windsor Park out. Needs to be over 60k for the Quarter/Semi Finals so that’s probably the SFAs opportunity to put the Giro Dome forward unless they put their hand in their pocket and upgrade Hampden. Semi Finals/Final will be Old Trafford/Millenium
Stadium/Wembley

Majority of games would be played in England, let’s be honest. Needs to be over 40k seater for group games so that rules Windsor Park out. Needs to be over 60k for the Quarter/Semi Finals so that’s probably the SFAs opportunity to put the Giro Dome forward unless they put their hand in their pocket and upgrade Hampden. Semi Finals/Final will be Old Trafford/Millenium
Stadium/Wembley

Russia had a 23k stadium with 12k temporary seats.

Of course unless there are BIG changes at the SFA you just know that Ibrox does not have a hope in hell of holding a match. The best we could hope for is renting out Auchenhowie.

Surprised about that bid, after corrupt FIFA officials lied to Prince William, I though they were never going to bid again.
Mind you money talks and the host country does make a fortune out of hosting.

Absolute certainty is that the Chukkies won’t let Windsor get redeveloped again without them getting their Casement Park white elephant built for them as well.

They’re having a laugh with the capacity anyways. Massively over what they need, at taxpayers expense.

In principle I am in favour of a bid however I don't understand the logic of it being spread over the UK and Ireland.
Although the world cup is being expanded to 48 teams from 2026 the UEFA places is rising by 3 from 13 to 16. This may change for 2030 but if it remains at 16 there is no chance the remaining European nations will allow the hosts to use up 5 of 16 spots in the tournament. So either not all hosts will qualify or if the hosts qualifying is part of the bid other remaining UEFA nations will likely back the bid from Spain and Portugal. A combined England, Scotland and Wales bid makes more sense on this basis.

I’m surprised the FA are willing to share it with the rest of the UK with the Premiership being the greatest league in the world and all.
As far as the ROI are concerned, they’re just using the despised UK to get a share of something they wouldn’t have a sniff of otherwise. No surprise there.

Absolutely pointless waste of money, time, effort and energy.

Firstly, FIFA hates English people as much as the SNP, so it's a non-starter.

Secondly, they've been planning to give it to Uruguay and Argentina as It'll be 100 years since the first World Cup.

I’m surprised the FA are willing to share it with the rest of the UK with the Premiership being the greatest league in the world and all.
As far as the ROI are concerned, they’re just using the despised UK to get a share of something they wouldn’t have a sniff of otherwise. No surprise there.

Works both ways. FIFA loathe England and a British Isles joint bid is more likely to be successful than a sole English bid. We see how that worked a few years ago.

Disappointing on many levels. ROI is not a football nation so why give them the opportunity to rake in dosh. Since I moved to NI, it is shocking to me that even the BBC sports reporting is 1. Ireland rugby 2. GAA, 3. local football. Money makes money especially when it is controlled by corrupt entities, we know that, however, to include ROI is utter pish from the UK. How they can't see or care what these pricks are like is beyond me. Even on a practical level, must be easier for teams / fans / policing to simply travel within GB. Of course, for me being in NI, it would be more convenient not to have to go to the mainland, but Belfast is unlikely so that would leave Dublin and meaning British pounds be spent with a political & social enemy country, no chance!

48 teams going into 16 groups. So I’d say 16 venues each hosting a group. You could even split it so games spread in London and Glasgow.

Wembley
London group (arsenal, Spurs, West Ham 1 each)
Glasgow (Ibrox, Hampden, piggery)
Edinburgh
Cardiff
Belfast (not sure on capacity)
Dublin
Liverpool
Manchester
Birmingham
Newcastle
Sunderland
Southampton
Leeds
Leicester
Choice of Sheffield, Bristol, Wolverhampton, Derby, Nottingham, stoke, hull, Brighton

Or you could take Wembley and Hampden out the groups (they will get final and third place match) and have 2 groups spread over the 3 London club grounds and 2 groups over the 3 scottish grounds left.

semi finals at Old Trafford and Cardiff

QFs at Wembley and 3 other biggest grounds not being used after.

There will also be a last 16 and last 32 KO round so other get used too.

And yes, I may have thought about this too much,
Entirely too sensible a format you have there also, it will never work for that reason

the uk is the perfect venue for a World Cup. Everywhere within 500 miles of each other with easy transport routes to and from every corner of the globe. All the stadiums are built so no problem with future legacy. Saying all that it will probably end up in some third world hole

The Republic have done %^*& all but play hard ball politically with the UK over Brexit and yet we hand them this, which will not be appreciated in the slightest. Disgraceful decision.

As for NI it would either have to be temporary seating like that stadium in Ekaterinburg for Russia 2018 or a brand new multi use (rugby/football/gaa) stadium in Belfast.

that was my first thought why the feck involve them

Windsor Park isnt big enough to host a world cup game. If there was an Irish group then you could potentially have some friendlies in NI before the tournament and maybe a team using it as their training base.

You'd probably be looking at a group in Scotland. Not sure if they'd want the group to have all of its games split between Ibrox and the Chamber of Secrets? You could maybe have one in Wales. Croke Park would need to change it's nonsense rules in order for RoI to host a group. You'd expect 1 group to use Newcastle and Sunderland. Another group to use the 2 big Manchester stadiums. Another group in the midlands. Certainly a group in London. A 48 team world cup final has 8 groups of 6 or 12 groups of 4 if they want to keep that format.

4 quarter finals - you'd see 1 in Scotland, England, Wales and RoI.

I'd have 1 semi in Scotland and 1 semi in Wales. Final would obviously be Wembly and having a semi final in Scotland and Wales would be a very good way to balance out the spread of big games.

My own preference would be for the world cup to revert from 48 to 32 teams. 48 is an absolute nonsense and there will be far too many games with absolutely no quality. If Fifa do want to persist with a 48 team world cup then it really limits the number of countries that could host a world cup on their own. Most would need to do some kind of joint host arrangement.

Disappointing on many levels. ROI is not a football nation so why give them the opportunity to rake in dosh. Since I moved to NI, it is shocking to me that even the BBC sports reporting is 1. Ireland rugby 2. GAA, 3. local football. Money makes money especially when it is controlled by corrupt entities, we know that, however, to include ROI is utter pish from the UK. How they can't see or care what these pricks are like is beyond me. Even on a practical level, must be easier for teams / fans / policing to simply travel within GB. Of course, for me being in NI, it would be more convenient not to have to go to the mainland, but Belfast is unlikely so that would leave Dublin and meaning British pounds be spent with a political & social enemy country, no chance!
GAA - is that the same game that Billy McNeill was playing with Ove Kindvall?

Does Windsor Park have the space around it for temporary seats?

I've only ever seen it from a distance...
No not really. The old North Stand is well overdue redevelopment or replacement though. It currently is the biggest stand capacity wise at just under 7k and if replaced and the capacity doubled - highly improbable due to the homes directly behind the stand on Olympia Dr - then it would still only bring the overall capacity to 25k. They might be able add a couple of thousand to it but even that's a stretch.
I doubt they'll want to do anything to the other new (and inadequate - in my view) South, Railway and Kop stands. So short of them finding half a billion for a brand new stadium somewhere else and all the political and legal fuss that will come with it, then I'm not sure why we are included, short of politeness.
We can bring absolutely nothing to the bid.

48 teams going into 16 groups. So I’d say 16 venues each hosting a group. You could even split it so games spread in London and Glasgow.

Wembley
London group (arsenal, Spurs, West Ham 1 each)
Glasgow (Ibrox, Hampden, piggery)
Edinburgh
Cardiff
Belfast (not sure on capacity)
Dublin
Liverpool
Manchester
Birmingham
Newcastle
Sunderland
Southampton
Leeds
Leicester
Choice of Sheffield, Bristol, Wolverhampton, Derby, Nottingham, stoke, hull, Brighton

Or you could take Wembley and Hampden out the groups (they will get final and third place match) and have 2 groups spread over the 3 London club grounds and 2 groups over the 3 scottish grounds left.

semi finals at Old Trafford and Cardiff

QFs at Wembley and 3 other biggest grounds not being used after.

There will also be a last 16 and last 32 KO round so other get used too.

And yes, I may have thought about this too much,
What about Twickenham?? 82,000 and a fine stadium.

Cannot believe that England have not hosted that tournament again.tbf.
In a country with top stadia and infrastucture its amazing they have not hd the chance since 1966.
Politics and rumbling the corrupt FIFA does not help their cause i suppose.????

Excuse my ignorance, but what's the short story on why FIFA hates England?
The English FA historically controlled FIFA under Sir Stanley Rous. He was ousted by the criminal Joao Havelange who mustered the third world countries on his behalf. They accused Rous of acting arrogantly and on England's behalf. Which is probably true, but the cure was far far worse than the original malady.

Normally groups are not staged in the same area/stadiums. Teams can travel thousands of miles.

A 48-team tournament would probably need 16 stadiums.

Back