UK gambling law ‘to ban white label betting brands’ from kit and signage advertising

mdingwall

Administrator

UK gambling law ‘to ban white label betting brands’ from kit and signage advertising​

Matthew Glendinning
The UK government’s review of its gambling law is likely to result in an outright ban on sponsorships by so-called ‘white label’ betting brands from overseas markets, particularly in Asia.

On top of the expected banning of all betting brands from front-of-shirt sponsorships, The Guardian newspaper said the new law is almost certain to prevent foreign betting firms from using sport to advertise in countries where gambling is illegal.

The white label betting system allows these companies to “rent” betting platforms licensed in UK-approved jurisdictions and use football sponsorships, in particular, as an effective way to raise awareness in their target markets.

The report quoted a source familiar with the review, as saying the white label system is a “massive loophole” and they would be “amazed” if it survives.

Closing such a loophole would mean a ban on all TV-visible advertising of these brands, whether on shirts or LED signage, taking the expected shirt advertising ban a step further. It is understood that any ban on gambling company sponsorships would come into force by 2023-24 at the earliest.

Nine Premier League clubs currently have gambling-related shirt sponsors: Brentford (Hollywoodbets), Burnley (Spreadex Sports), Crystal Palace (W88), Leeds United (SBOTOP), Newcastle United (Fun88), Southampton (Sportsbet.io), Watford (Stake.com), West Ham United (Betway) and Wolves (ManBetX).

Meanwhile in the same article, Trevor Birch, the chief executive of the English Football League, expressed his concern that any betting sponsorship ban could have a “substantial impact” on Football League finances.

Six teams in the Championship have front-of-shirt betting sponsors – Birmingham (Boyle Sports), Bristol City (MansionBet), Coventry City (Boyle Sports), Derby County (32Red), Middlesbrough (32Red), and Stoke City (Bet365) – while SkyBet is title sponsor of all three EFL leagues, the Championship, League 1 and League 2. No League 1 or League 2 clubs have betting companies as their main kit sponsor.

Birch was quoted as saying: “We’re concerned because finance and sponsorship from the betting sector is an important part of the financing of the EFL. The figure we would put on it is £40m ($54.8m/€46.7m). If that particular avenue is closed off to us it will have a substantial impact on our finances.”

He added: “It’s also the case that the gambling industry does make an awful lot of money from football. So in some shape or form we think that they should be making some kind of contribution. It could be in a different form to shirt sponsorship.”

So a betting company based and registered in the UK can still sponsor shirts?

Football wouldnt need as much sponsorship cash if the authorities introduced an affordable and sustainable salary scale. A salary scale not a salary cap. The sort of thing the rest of us seem able to survive on eg doctors, nurses, joiners, brickies, politicians, bin men etc etc.

Its time to end the gravy train for footballers. If they dont like it they can retrain as HGV drivers.

The world is going soft. The English league is the English league, not the American League, the Saudi Arabian League, etc.

If countries where gambling is illegal want to screen the league, they should be the ones who need to suck it up, not the other way around.

Gambling adverts, like most adverts, don’t make people rush to pay for the product.

Another case of governments interfering with and restricting our lives unnecessarily.

It’s all getting a bit messy. It would be good if we got away from gambling and got a sponsor like Pepsi Max for example

So a betting company based and registered in the UK can still sponsor shirts?

I don't know much about it but the article mentions "the expected banning of all betting brands from front-of-shirt sponsorships".

I think if the betting company is all in with regards to the UK ie no tax loopholes. There’s an argument for them to still be allowed sponsorship.

However, I’m very aware of the negative impacts of gambling and can understand there’s good reasons for its removal.

Football wouldnt need as much sponsorship cash if the authorities introduced an affordable and sustainable salary scale. A salary scale not a salary cap. The sort of thing the rest of us seem able to survive on eg doctors, nurses, joiners, brickies, politicians, bin men etc etc.

Its time to end the gravy train for footballers. If they dont like it they can retrain as HGV drivers.
I'd have a salary cap where each team is limited to a set amount say £50m salary budget. If you want you can get Messi & pay him £49m a year but you will have to build the rest of your squad on £1m for salaries.

That's how I read it as well.The thing is though are most UK companies not based abroad for tax reasons though?
The law changed in 2016. Anyone wanting to take UK money had to register with UKGC and payout X% of profits to them.

Doesnt matter where company lives.

Loads left. Loads never came back.

A few low quality ones remain and these are effectively the front end that all these random ones you see sponsoring teams use now. The website is actually nothing to do with the company and the odds in the UK totally different to their main site in asia. Probably generate buttons.

Its the UK govt taking the huff and wanting to make it as difficult as possible. If you dont want to pay UK taxes and expose your main betting site, you cant advertise here.

Whole things a mess.

The law changed in 2016. Anyone wanting to take UK money had to register with UKGC and payout X% of profits to them.

Doesnt matter where company lives.

Loads left. Loads never came back.

A few low quality ones remain and these are effectively the front end that all these random ones you see sponsoring teams use now. The website is actually nothing to do with the company and the odds in the UK totally different to their main site in asia. Probably generate buttons.

Its the UK govt taking the huff and wanting to make it as difficult as possible. If you dont want to pay UK taxes and expose your main betting site, you cant advertise here.

Whole things a mess.
In theory then we could have Ladbrokes who are based in London as a shirt sponsor but not Hills who are part of Ceasers and based in Vegas?
It's all a bit confusing

The world is going soft. The English league is the English league, not the American League, the Saudi Arabian League, etc.

If countries where gambling is illegal want to screen the league, they should be the ones who need to suck it up, not the other way around.
Can you point me to anything that suggests this is driven by a desire to appease other countries?
Gambling adverts, like most adverts, don’t make people rush to pay for the product.
Adverts, in general, clearly have an effect on people. I suppose the argument is whether the product is dangerous enough when combined with addiction to warrant a ban. Out of interest would you bring back cigarette advertisement?

Before they act on this, why does the Government not reintroduce the 10% tax levy on winning bets, that they scrapped for no good reason.
The NHS could do with a few extra bucks.

Just saying.

I'd have a salary cap where each team is limited to a set amount say £50m salary budget. If you want you can get Messi & pay him £49m a year but you will have to build the rest of your squad on £1m for salaries.

Why? Just have a pay scale. If Messi doesnt like it he can try working for a living.

Before they act on this, why does the Government not reintroduce the 10% tax levy on winning bets, that they scrapped for no good reason.
The NHS could do with a few extra bucks.

Just saying.
What has the nhs got to do with gambling and while we are at it let’s tax something you enjoy not everyone is a compulsive gambler

Can you point me to anything that suggests this is driven by a desire to appease other countries?

Adverts, in general, clearly have an effect on people. I suppose the argument is whether the product is dangerous enough when combined with addiction to warrant a ban. Out of interest would you bring back cigarette advertisement?
Cigarette advertising wouldn’t bother me. I say that as someone that used to smoke.

I couldn’t tell you the last thing I bought because of advertising. I buy things that I want, not because I get bombarded by pish by someone I don’t know.

I genuinely can’t be arsed with adverts generally, I fast forward if I watch a show back.

I am pissed off with the soft/woke culture that we now find ourselves in. Governments are there to serve us, not control us.

What has the nhs got to do with gambling and while we are at it let’s tax something you enjoy not everyone is a compulsive gambler
Nothing.
I just think that the gambling tax that they got rid of should be reimposed, and used for the benefit of the country.

A lot of stuff we enjoy is taxed, btw.

Nothing.
I just think that the gambling tax that they got rid of should be reimposed, and used for the benefit of the country.

A lot of stuff we enjoy is taxed, btw.
Well put it on income tax then so we can all contribute to the nhs
Why do you want to tax people who enjoy a bet and I’m well aware that other things we enjoy is taxed
I personally think we pay enough tax indirectly as it is without reintroducing a betting tax

Finger wagging hypocrisy.
I've no truck with the gambling industry. But then I'm not a gambler. And if it disappeared over night then I wouldn't bat an eyelid.
But I can recognise disgusting government duplicity (is there any other sort of government behaviour?) when these pious charlatans get up on the hind legs to bleat at us as our supposed moral guardians while at the same time wanting the same folk they're railing against to continue shovelling cash into the government's corrupted coffers.

Exactly the same argument as with the tobacco industry.
Either ban them all or let them be.

Why do you want to tax people who enjoy a bet and I’m well aware that other things we enjoy is taxed
I personally think we pay enough tax indirectly as it is without reintroducing a betting tax
If I'm taxed on my booze and my other pleasures, why shouldn't gamblers pay a bit?

The gambling tax was in place for the first few decades of me having a punt, and no one batted an eyelid.

Get it back or give me tax free Chardonnay.

Oh right so cause your taxed on your booze let’s tax that guy over there cause he’s betting and doesn’t pay tax on it
So it’s wasn’t really to help the nhs it’s because you think your being hard done by so let’s introduce a tax that was abolished years ago because you get taxed on drink

If I'm taxed on my booze and my other pleasures, why shouldn't gamblers pay a bit?

The gambling tax was in place for the first few decades of me having a punt, and no one batted an eyelid.

Get it back or give me tax free Chardonnay.
It is taxed. The companies pay the tax on the profits from the punters. Not the punters paying the tax to then lose.

We should just get rid of the kiddy-on Parliament and put the money to good use.

It is taxed. The companies pay the tax on the profits from the punters. Not the punters paying the tax to then lose.
You DON'T pay tax if you lose, unless you pre pay the tax on your original bet.

You pay tax on winnings.

I genuinely believe the US system for player transfers and salary caps is coming sooner rather later.

You don't understand how the old gambling duty worked mate. Not a bit.

Maybe you had to be there.
Dont know why you replying to me a second time with the same content. Had a bad day ?

I know it. I lived it and I’m very much living the current Gambling Regs and quite possibly the most clued up on the game. @Wazza may have a go and a few others.

My default was to pay 10 then 9 then 5 percent of my stake.

Nobody paid anything post 2005 not even the bookies who then moved out of UK tax jurisdiction.

Since 2014 rather than returning to penalising the punter at source the UK govt is taxing all profits from bookmakers taken from UK customers at a much higher rate.

The UK punter is very much still paying, just in a different way.

Last edited:
Dont know why you replying to me a second time with the same content. Had a bad day ?

I know it. I lived it and I’m very much living the current Gambling Regs and quite possibly the most clued up on the game. @Wazza may have a go and a few others.

My default was to pay 10 then 9 then 5 percent of my stake.

Nobody paid anything post 2005 not even the bookies who then moved out of UK tax jurisdiction.

Since 2014 rather than returning to penalising the punter at source the UK govt is taxing all profits from bookmakers taken from UK customers at a much higher rate.

The UK punter is very much still paying, just in a different way.

Keep living it!

If they remove gambling then alcohol must follow. If it has not done so already.
The beer companies are already planning for this I’d say - not noticed that it’s almost always their “0%” brands you see advertised at games now?

The cynic in me says they only actually make this stuff to allow then to keep plastering “Heineken” everywhere as I doubt they make much from actually selling the stuff.

The beer companies are already planning for this I’d say - not noticed that it’s almost always their “0%” brands you see advertised at games now?

The cynic in me says they only actually make this stuff to allow then to keep plastering “Heineken” everywhere as I doubt they make much from actually selling the stuff.
I wouldn't be surprised.

Back