Match Thread Ukraine v Scotland 19:45 Premier Sports

Scotland are now in Pot 2 for the Euros qualifying draw.

It’s essentially a free shot at automatic qualification given that they now have at least a play off spot.

I’ve a good friend who’s a Hearts fan and unionist and no lover of the scum. He goes to every Scotland game home and away.

He thoroughly deserves the night him and his other mate from my home town will be having in Krakow tonight.
One of my mates, who's a bear is away to Krakow as well. Follows them all over. Minus glengarry, feathers, kilt and all that ridiculous clobber.

Promotion, guaranteed play off for euro 2024 and 2nd seed for euro 2024 qualifiers
Not that I know the answer, but will the top 2 teams from the groups automatically qualify, as we have been starved of top class football for years ( as we are all aware )

If it was that porteous from tonight then in an absolute heartbeat. If its the arsehole who tried to hurt folk and act the big man, then no. Overall, if his contract expires in the summer and he is a free, id be fine with him being at least looked at.
My word, we are through the looking glass now.

Not that I know the answer, but will the top 2 teams from the groups automatically qualify, as we have been starved of top class football for years ( as we are all aware )
Yes is the straightforward answer. Scotland finish 1st or 2nd in the group they will be drawn into it’s automatic qualification. Any other spot in said group is a guaranteed playoff spot

Just seen Israel got promoted to league A as well, it's been a few months since we've played them so probably due to draw them
I'm pretty sure it's Israel we get in playoffs as they are the best place qualifier and we are the 4th best.
Bosnia play serbia

Don't know if they do a draw for home/away or not

I'm pretty sure it's Israel we get in playoffs as they are the best place qualifier and we are the 4th best.
Bosnia play serbia

Don't know if they do a draw for home/away or not
Thats only the draw of none of the 4 qualify automatically. Then it filters down to next in the group if any do. I fancy us to beat any of those 4 anyway

I still don’t know how this nations league works

My brain won’t allow it
It helps identify the personality of international teams.

Think of Scotland as West Ham. Competitive top division team that won't win much, but nobody wants to play them.

Think of Wales as Swansea. Second tier team who had their moments recently, but back where they belong.

Think of England as Huddersfield. Team who have been very important to the history of football, but recently, when it really matters, they crap the bed.

:p:p:p

Not sure what I said makes you think that. Its a pretty reasonable assessment of a hypothetical event.
He is a reckless piece of shytt when he plays against Rangers.
But he is a fairly reckless piece of shytt when he plays against other sides as well.
I don't think we are the only support who have a poor opinion of him.

However, he can play and when he keeps his discipline as he did tonight, he looked a proper defender.
I like to keep an open mind about potential signings.

But he is a fairly reckless piece of shytt when he plays against other sides as well.

However, he can play and when he keeps his discipline as he did tonight, he looked a proper defender.
This is it for me. Not injury prone, very good when he isn’t acting the dick, can play LCB, scottish for the euro quota, good on the ball and wins headers.

Im not saying we should sign him or that we will (we wont), but id certainly understand if it broke he was a player our scouts etc looked at

This is it for me. Not injury prone, very good when he isn’t acting the dick, can play LCB, scottish for the euro quota, good on the ball and wins headers.

Im not saying we should sign him or that we will (we wont), but id certainly understand if it broke he was a player our scouts etc looked at
I suppose they must have looked at him already.
But the point you make about him not being injury prone is pertinent, he seems to be a robust sort of lad considering how physical he is in the tackle, and yes he does win headers.
He also doesn't duck when a ball is fired in his direction.

If you had asked me a year ago, I would have laughed.
But I reserve the right to change my mind.

That’s the best

was rather refreshing our back line had pace, take Taylor out replace with tierney it’s a decent back 4 as I was very surprised how good the hibs thug was
I agree, I like pace they are showing. Hickey and Hendry I thought were great together, Hendry I actually think is coming onto his own game now. That’s his position to lose. Patterson and Hickey is going to be interesting for right back. Both pushing each other in training. Tierney though at left back. And Hickey can even battle for that spot. Porteous I felt played well, and I hate to say that. If he can keep his head and drop his Ned crap. He is brave on a pitch, and he can back track quick and he can tackle. That’s an open position though. But Scotland back line should be Patterson/Hickey right back, Hendry right CD and Tierney/Robertson/Hickey left back. Left CD has to still be won.

Your hatred is matched by mine. But fair play to him.
How come premier sports are now covering both games in their review? Us and the ROI.
You get what you pay for right enough.
Good job Neil Doncaster has done a great job with scottish footie tv contract for the next 7 years eh?
Premiers an Irish sports broadcaster.

The national team playing the Nations League games on that platform has %^*& all to do with Doncaster.

That was a brilliant performance tonight especially considering the number of late changes through illness and injury.

Would never have dreamed a few years ago Scotland would be the only home nation team in League A!

I suppose they must have looked at him already.
But the point you make about him not being injury prone is pertinent, he seems to be a robust sort of lad considering how physical he is in the tackle, and yes he does win headers.
He also doesn't duck when a ball is fired in his direction.

If you had asked me a year ago, I would have laughed.
But I reserve the right to change my mind.
He has close links/agent with Andy Murray who has obvious links with Castore. Wouldnt rule it out completely.

A great achievement for the Scottish team, and it has to be said Steve Clarke.
I think he has proved quite a few wrong.
Considering the amount of injuries going into this game, for such backs to the wall performance is some going.
Clarke obviously has his squad so well drilled in his game plan and style that when anyone drops out, the next man up has fitted in seamlessly.

Now, if only he could crack a smile

My word, we are through the looking glass now.
P

I was at the Oriam on Monday and saw Ryan Jack chatting away amicably with two of the squad obviously walking to training. The two players were ,wait for it, Ryan Porteous on one side and Dermot Gallagher on the other. Who would have thought it?

P

I was at the Oriam on Monday and saw Ryan Jack chatting away amicably with two of the squad obviously walking to training. The two players were ,wait for it, Ryan Porteous on one side and Dermot Gallagher on the other. Who would have thought it?
Don't worry, they get a free shower at the end of every training session.
Our Ryan will be fine.

A great achievement for the Scottish team, and it has to be said Steve Clarke.
I think he has proved quite a few wrong.
Considering the amount of injuries going into this game, for such backs to the wall performance is some going.
Clarke obviously has his squad so well drilled in his game plan and style that when anyone drops out, the next man up has fitted in seamlessly.

Now, if only he could crack a smile
Too busy cracking a cork

Completely missed two headers in the box1
Could have been punished!

Job well done.

Think the last 3 games have shown we don’t need to shoehorn Robertson and Tierney into the same team. Four at the back is a much better system for me. And of the two left backs Tierney would get the nod for me
Tierney plays the ball back at least 50% of the time and not as good as Robertson going forward.
Dislike both but recognize their talent!

Porteous has always been decent, but has a major brain fart in him.

Tonight, he had two, possibly three mistakes ther couldve led to a goal.

He’s not mature enough to be a Rangers CB yet… and he’s a total Ned.

He got caught out of position for the Ukraine chance in the first half after he dived in to win the ball and didn't.

He got caught under the flight of the ball for two crosses, one which the Ukrainians should've scored.

I think folk just listen to the commentary and form an opinion on the back of what Michael Stewart says.

Porteous was ok, on another day, we are talking about him costing us two goals.

Great result by Scotland with the players available. Jack was neat and tidy. Thought Hickey was very good and was my MoM. Craig Gordon made some big saves, Che Adams lead the line well and Jack Hendry was solid. Porteous ok but not buying the hype.

He got caught out of position for the Ukraine chance in the first half after he dived in to win the ball and didn't.

He got caught under the flight of the ball for two crosses, one which the Ukrainians should've scored.

I think folk just listen to the commentary and form an opinion on the back of what Michael Stewart says.

Porteous was ok, on another day, we are talking about him costing us two goals.
Ffsake, I could dissect the entire performance of any defender in any team over the entire 90 in any match and find moments where they missed a ball or were second to a tackle.
I find it fckn insulting for you to suggest I made my mind up in response to that cvunt Stewart's commentary.
Who the fck do you think you are?
Some sort of supreme authority?

I think your view is totally compromised by a dislike of the player in question.
A totally flawed position in the judgement of any performance.

Hickey played very well, considering he was up against Shaktar’s emerging talent, Mudryk (sp?). Ukraine were a better team overall but couldn’t take some of their gifted chances. Saying that, Adams should have scored in the first minute or so, but then the West Ham player for Ukraine also missed a sitter. Then Jack had a 50-50 effort at a corner, but the ball came at an awkward angle and it went over the bar. 2nd half was quite lame. I can’t remember anything of note. Mainly Scotland defending. Porteous, surprisingly, managed to have a decent game, but some problems early on at corners. He missed one completely and the Ukraine centre forward should have scored with a header. Overall, Scotland held on, despite being a make-shift team. Let’s see if this leads to a Euro spot.

Sure he was at with the sheep recently

P

I'm assuming you mean Declan and not the retired ref. But aye, Jack is close pals with him.

The Nations League is about teams finding their levels.

Scotland will now get to enjoy matches against the likes of France and Italy, while England will get to compete against the might of Albania and Kazakhstan.

Seems about right to me.

The Nations League is about teams finding their levels.

Scotland will now get to enjoy matches against the likes of France and Italy, while England will get to compete against the might of Albania and Kazakhstan.

Seems about right to me.
Sure England won't be too arsed when they are in Qatar.

Latest posts

Back