Uncapped Scottish Bears

Gordon Smith. His first season he partnered DJ and between them scored about 60 goals. He was never considered and DJ never got a kick in Argentina.

I used to have the exact same opinion as you but looking back, his passing ability was genuinely some of the best Ive ever seen from a Rangers CB, it was Adam'esque. Now, the rest of his game wasn't the greatest and he seemed to find himself at the centre of more than the odd defensive calamity, but as far as passing goes he was right up there.
I don't remember oor Boab too much. The ridicule he gets made me really surprised that Mcleish said he was an excellent passer.

I don't remember oor Boab too much. The ridicule he gets made me really surprised that Mcleish said he was an excellent passer.
He was that team/generations Andy Halliday imo but with less goodwill from the fans. Utility player, filled in at defence or central midfield and was ok if he kept it simple. Always felt he was in the squad more for the leadership/morale side of things than anything. As I say though when he was played at CB and we were going "route one" he came into his own, seldom seen such good long range passing.

He was that team/generations Andy Halliday imo but with less goodwill from the fans. Utility player, filled in at defence or central midfield and was ok if he kept it simple. Always felt he was in the squad more for the leadership/morale side of things than anything. As I say though when he was played at CB and we were going "route one" he came into his own, seldom seen such good long range passing.
Aye i remember him being about and through the season reviews. Played a lot more than people may think. Surprised he never played more consistently at Motherwell or SPL level.

Last edited:
I always remember growing up thinkin Bob Malcolm was nothing but a Goon type player sent out to just do the opposition but heard a few interviews now talk about how good his passing was and that if he was only a bit faster he could have been some player.

anyone remember "spray it aboot like Zidane"? I think it may have had a cartoon

I know he won 1 cap , but surprised Wee Doddie hasn’t been mentioned so far. How the wee man didn’t win more caps is beyond me.

A decent player? Suffice it to say, neither he nor Davie Cooper went to the 1982 WC. Davie Provan and Paul Sturrock did. Let that sink in.
. Provo was a very good goal scoring winger more consistent than Cooper who in 82 era wasn’t even a regular under Greig. and Sturrock was a top class striker both of these players would have walked into our team of that era Of that their is no doubt
Ha ha haaaa :p
You call me absurd, whilst ignoring every single fact that I clearly pointed out to you.
Only a fool would dare to put Colin Jackson in the same bracket as Maurice Ross, Kirk Broadfoot, and Stephen Hughes.

Jackson walked into a Rangers team that won 3 League Titles in 4 years (including 2 Trebles).
When Rangers finally won their first championship for 11 years in 74-75,
Jackson would start in 33 of the 34 games.
In the Treble winning side of 75-76, Jackson would start in 52 of the 55 games.
In the Treble winning side of 77-78, Jackson would start in 51 of the 53 games.
Jackson played a pivotal part in two of our greatest ever results at Ibrox against Bayern Munich and Juventus.
Jackson averaged 40 games a season for Rangers for 12 years (1970-82), despite being a back up in two of those seasons.
Jackson collected 12 Winners medals (3 League Titles, 3 Scottish Cups, 5 League Cups, 1 ECWC).

And you still harp on about McQueen, who was Scotland's Centre Half in the most humiliating defeat to the English in a Lifetime.
McQueen in his 15 Year career, at two of England's biggest Clubs, Leeds Utd and Man Utd collected
2 Winners medals (1 League Title, 1 FA Cup).

As for your other comparisons, other than Martin Buchan, you are talking even more Shite.
Martin Buchan though, was more like competition to Tom Forsyth in the Scotland set up, as opposed to being an out and out Centre Half.
Jim Holton by the end of 1974 was nursing a broken leg in the English Second Division, and never played for Man Utd again.
Alan Hansen was not even the best Hansen at Partick Thistle, who were in the second tier of Scottish Football in 75-76.

Them is facts.....try dealing with them, instead of shitting on a great Ranger!
Medals don’t really mean a lot a lot of great players won very little And a lot of average players won a lot by being in a decent team In these treble winning teams you talk about there was a lot of average players McKean Young Hamilton Smith McCloy Kennedy however there was a few excellent players Jardine Greig Johnston McDonald McLean You also forget to mention that Colin was centre half in our dark years too remember we only won 2 yes 2 not 3, titles

Willie Mathieson. More than 10 seasons and over 300 appearances for Rangers including the 72 European Cup Winners Cup final. Never capped at full international level. One appearance for Scottish League select.

Medals don’t really mean a lot

You also forget to mention that Colin was centre half in our dark years too remember we only won 2 yes 2 not 3, titles

o_O
You really are an embarrassment :eek:
You talk so much shite, you should consider wearing a diaper/nappy on your mouth, instead of a mask.

We won League Titles in 75', 76' and 78', that would be 3!

Here are the 10 seasons where Colin Jackson played a significant role (that is at least 30 Games)

1970-71 ...54 Games.....League Cup Winners medal
1971-72... 43 Games....ECWC Winners medal
1974-75....42 Games.....League Championship Winners medal
1975-76....53 Games......League Championship Winners medal
..............................................Scottish Cup Winners medal
..............................................League Cup Winners medal
1976-77.....41 Games...Scottish Cup runners up medal
1977-78.....51 Games...League Championship Winners medal
..............................................Scottish Cup Winners medal
1978-79.....47 Games....Scottish Cup Winners medal
This meant Rangers (and Jackson obviously), had over the previous 5 seasons, collected
3 League Championships
3 Scottish Cups
3 League Cups
Colin Jackson had started in 234 games during those five seasons (74-79).
Only Sandy Jardine played more games for Rangers in that highly successful period.

I'm assuming the 'dark years' you mention are what followed
1979-80....44 Games.........Scottish Cup runners up medal.
In January of the 79-80 season, Jackson scored in back to back games, thereby taking him into that exclusive club of Rangers Players to have scored in 3 different decades.
1980-81....39 Games...
Despite playing in every round, and scoring a spectacular header in the Scottish Cup Semi Final,
Jackson did not play in the Final as Rangers collected another Scottish Cup, beating Dundee Utd 4-1 in the replayed Final.
1981-82....32 Games.........League Cup Winners medal
.................................................Scottish Cup runners up medal
When Jackson lined up for Rangers in the 1-0 victory over Celtic on Jan 9th, he became only the 11th player to make 500 plus appearances for Rangers in our 110 year history at that point.
Jackson's last appearance for Rangers came in the Scottish Cup Final on May 22nd 1982, which Rangers lost 1-4 in extra time to Aberdeen.
Two days later, on May 24th
Rangers gave Free Transfers to Sandy Jardine, Colin Jackson, Tom Forsyth, Alex Forsyth and Tommy McLean.

Alex MacDonald a true grafter scored many priceless goals for Rangers should have been given more opportunities.
Andy Penman was another one who had loads of ability and a very clever footballer who should have had more than one cap to his name.

. Provo was a very good goal scoring winger more consistent than Cooper who in 82 era wasn’t even a regular under Greig. and Sturrock was a top class striker both of these players would have walked into our team of that era Of that their is no doubt

More nonsense from you of much nonsense.
Cooper had 46 starts and 3 sub appearances under Greig in the 81-82 season.

I'll assume that you do know that Davie Cooper played more games under John Greig than any other Rangers player, despite the myths peddled on here by people like yourself.

I'll assume that you do know that Davie Cooper played more games under John Greig than any other Rangers player, despite the myths peddled on here by people like yourself.
yes and he wasn’t very good during those 5 seasons only fleetingly showing glimpses of how good he was however a lot of that was down to how poor a side he was playing in Cooper was a tremendous footballer who didn’t have the career his talents deserved he really could have been the best player of his time if he wasn’t so loyal to our club

Alex MacDonald a true grafter scored many priceless goals for Rangers should have been given more opportunities.
Andy Penman was another one who had loads of ability and a very clever footballer who should have had more than one cap to his name.
Doddie only capped once, Johny Hamilton another shout.

How Bobby Russell only got one shitty friendly cap still amazes me to this day,what a fucking player he was.

I keep reading that he wasn't as good as others in that position at the time.
I disagree with that, one of the classiest players I have ever seen play for us.
Ridiculous that he played only once for Scotland.
Edit: no caps at all

Last edited:
I always remember growing up thinkin Bob Malcolm was nothing but a Goon type player sent out to just do the opposition but heard a few interviews now talk about how good his passing was and that if he was only a bit faster he could have been some player.
Bob was a great passer but as you say a bit too slow. He was also unfortunately not really tall enough for a CB

Reactions: 007

Was Cooper overlooked for Scotland? Missed ‘82 World Cup, I suppose. But I remember him being a Scotland regular.

Was Cooper overlooked for Scotland? Missed ‘82 World Cup, I suppose. But I remember him being a Scotland regular.

Jock Stein gave Davie Cooper 2 Caps in 1979, all 20 of his other Caps came after 1984.
John Robertson from Nottingham Forest was his preferred Left Winger, who won the European Cup in 79' and 80, laying on the winner in one, and scoring the winner in the other.
Robertson, though not having the skills of Cooper, was certainly more consistent and effective than Cooper was at that time.
In Robertson's absence, Stein opted for Arthur Graham (Leeds Utd) and Peter Weir (Aberdeen).
On the Right Wing/Midfield, Gordon Strachan was his preferred choice, and it was hard to argue with that.
Stein only took 3 recognised wide men to the 82' World Cup, Strachan, Robertson, and that wee shite Davie Provan.

Jock Stein gave Davie Cooper 2 Caps in 1979, all 20 of his other Caps came after 1984.
John Robertson from Nottingham Forest was his preferred Left Winger, who won the European Cup in 79' and 80, laying on the winner in one, and scoring the winner in the other.
Robertson, though not having the skills of Cooper, was certainly more consistent and effective than Cooper was at that time.
In Robertson's absence, Stein opted for Arthur Graham (Leeds Utd) and Peter Weir (Aberdeen).
On the Right Wing/Midfield, Gordon Strachan was his preferred choice, and it was hard to argue with that.
Stein only took 3 recognised wide men to the 82' World Cup, Strachan, Robertson, and that wee shite Davie Provan.
Robertson was a few years older than Cooper though. As one of the stars of the two time European Cup winners, I agree that picking him ahead of Cooper maybe wasn’t that surprising. And though he remains my favourite player of all time (same as a quite a few bears my age, I’d guess) he could be quite bad if he was having one of his off days. I was thinking about Strachan too. Quite a different sort of player. Cooper maybe suffered a bit as those tanner ba wingers went out of favour a wee bit? But he got 22 caps, only few behind Robertson and more than Sturrock or Provo.

Back