Under 16s world cup 1989

Was that the team that had the ‘Ali Cat’ in goals?

Im sure I seen them at Fir Park, if Im thinking the right year?

Jim Beattie passed away recently of MND.
Where did you hear that mate?

I worked with Jim many years ago. He was a cracking guy. Was at Petershill at the time.

I had heard recently that he had MND, but haven’t seen him for years.

Went to this with my auld man and his mate. Saudi players with full beards and moustaches, supposed to be under 16 ffs :))

Went through to Tynecastle with mates. One of our dads had suggested we'd need to leave early as it would be busy, but I don't think any of us thought it would be as full as it was. Great atmosphere

Final was goodbtoo. I remember that the SA team came out and prayed before the game which was strange to see but as many have said they were definitely well developed for an u16 team

Went to the semi final at Tynecastle. Turned up to huge queues and thought there’s no chance we are getting in. Some guy from the SFA appeared and gave us complimentary tickets. Ended up centre of the main stand. Was gutted at the age of 13 when we lost the final.

Where did you hear that mate?

I worked with Jim many years ago. He was a cracking guy. Was at Petershill at the time.

I had heard recently that he had MND, but haven’t seen him for years.
He was a good friend of my mate. Died on 31st of August.

Aye, all under 16, ffs!

Bottom row, second from the left, 3 wives, 6 weans :D

DuoUua1X4AAGyY8.jpg
Didn't realise he was from Port Glasgow.

:D

My first trip to hampden aged 9, and my favourite Scotland kit.

Have I misremembered, did Queens Park finish their game and then the final was played straight after?

I was at the final. Stood in the Rangers end. Overriding memory is one well oiled individual getting lifted for repeatedly trying to get a chorus of "you're only camel shagging b@******" going

Why aren’t there any Rangers players in the Scotland line ups? Surely we had some good youth on players at that time?
We had 3 players in the squad. Neil Murray, Craig Flannigan and David Hagan.

Tragic that 2 players died from MND in Jim Beattie and David Hagan.

Back