Underrated player

JW1988

Official Ticketer
Seeing the thread about one player you could bring back got me thinking, non Rangers, who’s a player you think was vastly underrated?

For me I’ll always say Michael Carrick, what a player. Could read a game better than most. Passing ability up there with any other midfielder. Could defend well. Only thing he was missing was pace.
Rolls Royce

I don't think Florent Malouda gets the credit he deserves from his Chelsea days was a consistently good player for them and chipped in heavily with goals signed for 13 million euros and was their for the best part of 6 years and also won leagues champions League and also made a WC final in 2006

I thought Nigel winterburn was very under rated. A very good steady left back for arsenal. Lee Dixon was pretty under rated also.

Considered by many to be part of the best defensive line in England. Hardly under rated Dixon especially.

Considered by many to be part of the best defensive line in England. Hardly under rated Dixon especially.
Dixon only got 22 caps for England, so I would say he was under rated considering he was arsenals 1st choice right back for well over a decade . Winterburn only got 2 caps which is hard to believe also.

Gerson.

The 1970 Brazil team is regarded as the greatest ever international football team.
Everyone remembers Pele, Jairzinho, Rivelino, Carlis Alberto, Tostao and their wonderful attacking flair.

But Gerson was the conductor in the middle if the park who made them tick.

Was Ashley Cole underrated? Or just not liked? Never seems to get a mention so just wondering!!

Juan Mata while he was at Chelsea was massively underrated also Jordan Henderson has turned into a class midfielder but doesn't often get mentioned.

Always thought Wes Brown was a cracking centre back, was generally competing against world class defenders for a start but very rarely let Ferguson down.

Moussa dembele (ex spurs ) not ex beggar thought he was a cracking midfielder and was underrated
A lot of the Spurs players said, Dembele was the best player they had played with.

Unreal, strength.

But couldn't manage back to back games.

Class, player. Could glide past opponents..

Juan Mata while he was at Chelsea was massively underrated also Jordan Henderson has turned into a class midfielder but doesn't often get mentioned.
Henderson does a bit of everything
He’s quietly effective
You really notice when he’s not in the team, I think that played a big part in the title bid under Rodgers falling apart

Henderson does a bit of everything
He’s quietly effective
You really notice when he’s not in the team, I think that played a big part in the title bid under Rodgers falling apart
Yeah he breaks up a lot of opposition attacks but also can ping a pass around. He is also very steady and rarely will have an obviously bad game. You dont get to captain a champions league winning side without having some serious quality.

Seeing the thread about one player you could bring back got me thinking, non Rangers, who’s a player you think was vastly underrated?

For me I’ll always say Michael Carrick, what a player. Could read a game better than most. Passing ability up there with any other midfielder. Could defend well. Only thing he was missing was pace.
Rolls Royce

Cambiasso in the inter Milan team who won the champions league under Mourinho , probably the best midfielder in Europe that season.

Pjanic

I think if you asked 1000 people to name the best 20 in the world he’d appear only a handful of times when he should appear 1000.

Spot on , think it’s Because he doesn’t play in England people tend to forget him , he is a top class player.

James Tavernier; not at Rangers, but in terms of football in general I don't think enough is made of how good he actually is. That game last December was one of THE great individual performances anywhere, and he did that from a full back position. On his day he is one of the most creative full backs in football; that day he did more than just though. Quite possibly Tavernier is one of the best most improved players in the game.

John McGovern, Dennis Mortimer, Billy Bonds, Paul Madeley, Steve Perryman, Paul Simpson, Alan Oakes...for older bears. Players who played for their clubs for years and imo vastly underrated.

James Tavernier; not at Rangers, but in terms of football in general I don't think enough is made of how good he actually is. That game last December was one of THE great individual performances anywhere, and he did that from a full back position. On his day he is one of the most creative full backs in football; that day he did more than just though. Quite possibly Tavernier is one of the best most improved players in the game.
Nice of you to join the debate James.

Back