Underrated player

For me, it would be some of the players from the golden era of serie A back in early 90s (football Italia on C4 days) that dont always get the recognition of a Del Piero, Batistuta etc but who were nevertheless cracking footballers.

Players like Di Livio, Albertini, Boban and the likes.

Gerson.

The 1970 Brazil team is regarded as the greatest ever international football team.
Everyone remembers Pele, Jairzinho, Rivelino, Carlis Alberto, Tostao and their wonderful attacking flair.

But Gerson was the conductor in the middle if the park who made them tick.
Gerson wasn't underated

I still feel like Son at Spurs is underrated. Always Kane and Eriksen who get the plaudits but he’s a wonderful player

Gerson.

The 1970 Brazil team is regarded as the greatest ever international football team.
Everyone remembers Pele, Jairzinho, Rivelino, Carlis Alberto, Tostao and their wonderful attacking flair.

But Gerson was the conductor in the middle if the park who made them tick.
Absolutely agree.

Certainly never could he have been considered an athlete. But what a footballer.
He certainly made that great ‘70 Brazil team tick.

Moussa dembele (ex spurs ) not ex beggar thought he was a cracking midfielder and was underrated was surprised no other EPL team took a chance on him and he went to play in china
Seen a few interviews from spurs players at the time he played there, they were asking the players who was the funniest, most skilful that sort of thing, when asked who the hardest was everyone picked Dembele, said players would go in full pelt to get the ball and just bounce off him. They said he never gave the ball away either, his footballing brain was ahead of everybody else.
Really surprised a Man Utd or Arsenal didn't go for him. He would of been perfect for Arsenal but obviously the rivalry

James Milner - consistent player doesn't do anything too flash but always does well.

This. I was guilty of under rating until I saw him in the flesh for City.

Fernandinho .... The player that allowed City to play the way they do. He is there Stuart McCall

David Silva has never won a player of the month trophy despite being consistently brilliant

For many years at Rangers I would say Papac but he got the recognition in the end.

Batistuta - unparalleled scoring record in Serie A, better strike rate than Messi for Argentina but missing from many people's top 20 lists of strikers. The most deadly striker I've ever seen.

Cantona - simply a genius. Could turn a game at his leisure if he fancied it. Made popped collars a thing, and the celebration - let the others come to him to bask in his greatness. Mad as a box of frogs, retired at his peak and could probably have done a lot more but just didn't want to play football anymore. Like Batigol, when mentioned people remember just how good he was, but not a first pick for many.

Reactions: GF7
Tommy McLean - I was only a wee boy at the time and couldn't understand why he was always berated by Rangers supporters because he wasn't physical. A great dribbler and passer of the ball.

I'd have Jonjo Shelvey in my Newcastle team every single week yet most see him as a big haddy.

Nathan Redmond at Southampton would be a great signing for a top 6 club.

Henderson does a bit of everything
He’s quietly effective
You really notice when he’s not in the team, I think that played a big part in the title bid under Rodgers falling apart

Henderson was so important for Liverpool last season. The energy across that midfield was so effective that it meant the front three could pretty much do what they want.

I thought big Diaby at Arsenal was great. Just couldn’t avoid injury for longer then 12 minutes.

Thats a really good shout by the way. I remember when he came over to Arsenal he initally looked good but got that shocking challenge on him vs Sunderland.

I remember Arsenal beating Liverpool 2-0 at Anfield a few years later, Diaby played & ran the show against a team that had Gerrard, Suaraez & Sterling in it. He had had a full pre season & was starting to play a few games in a row & i thought this time he was really going to make it.

He got injured a few games later again. The following season Arsenal lost the same fixture 5-1.

Come to think of it, Arsenal were robbed of some right good players due to injury back then. Vermaelen, Diaby, Rosicky, Wilshere, Ramsey, Eduardo all out for long spells & never really came back the same player (Ramsey maybe apart). Van Persie was injury prone as well. I wonder how could they could be if they had managed to keep most them fit.

Ivan Perisic.

One of my favourite ever players to watch. Just an absolutely class act, absolutely awesome for Croatia and the only good thing about a poor Inter side over the past 5 years.

Find it amazing he never played for one of the top EPL or La Liga clubs.

The fact he’s just earned a move to Bayern at the age of 30 tells you something about his class.

Not really though is it. Busquets is a fucking cheating bastard. Great footballer but I can’t respect someone who’s been cheating for as long as I can remember.

You can’t respect very many footballers at all then. He had one very high profile incident nearly 10 years ago that’s earned him a reputation thats never worn off.

Anyway I wouldn’t agree that he’s underrated, cracking player in his day but he doesn’t get the same credit as Xavi and Iniesta because he wasn’t nearly as pivotal as them. He’s also regressed significantly and formed a even more regular habit of conceding possession in dangerous areas

Stuart Munro

Always the man I think of when this question comes up. £15,000 we paid for him and though never spectacular he did the job and won umpteen cups and leagues and kept many a higher profile player on the sidelines.

Phillipe Cocu

Could play in defence, midfield and up front and I'm sure played in all 3 areas at some point in the Dutch team.

Given the utter hyperbole spraffed about Van Dijk over the course of the past 12 months I would say it seems the following have utterly slipped from the memory of some re how excellent they actually were.

Stam
Vidic
Ferdinand
Adams
Campbell
Terry
Carvalho
Kompany
Carragher
King
Hyypia
Desilay

As anyone thinking that Michael Jackson looking fanny is above any of the aforementioned players in terms of best EPL CB etc is evidently a fan of crac, a delusional Scouse wank, a daft mentally challenged, last two are two cheeks of the same arse to be fair..

Or - one of these cunts who simply hasn't seen other players play and dismisses them purely based on the shitty thing of not having lived through their excellence.

Lazio in the early 2000s had an unbelieveable squad. But I always remember Matias Almeyda being one of their most consistent performers in a defensive midfield role. Alen Boksic was also some player when it comes to technical ability.

For me, it would be some of the players from the golden era of serie A back in early 90s (football Italia on C4 days) that dont always get the recognition of a Del Piero, Batistuta etc but who were nevertheless cracking footballers.

Players like Di Livio, Albertini, Boban and the likes.
Add Lombardo of Sampdoria.

Francesco Totti.

And the reason he doesn’t get credit is because he stayed loyal with one club, when every club in the world wanted him.

For current players Romagnoli for Milan is a brilliant defender that is rarely talked about among the best centre backs in serie a. Milan not having much going for them outside of a handful of players wont help him get attention but i look at a club like Arsenal, Chelsea when their ban ends or United and think he's someone they should be pushing hard for

Genuinely - Messi.

Everyone has got so used to him scoring 50+ goals a season that they see it as normal now. If anyone else done it they'd almost be guaranteed a Ballon d'Or. He's been overlooked for it for years now which is mental when you actually watch him and break down his stats.

Read something the other day that if you started your career today and scored 40 goals a season for 15 years you'd still be 71 goals behind Messi...plus 286 assists in that time.

John McGovern, Dennis Mortimer, Billy Bonds, Paul Madeley, Steve Perryman, Paul Simpson, Alan Oakes...for older bears. Players who played for their clubs for years and imo vastly underrated.
I think Howard Kendell at Everton would fit into the above group.
I would even say he was the best of the lot.

Mikel Arteta, never made one Spanish international squad.
They had a few decent midfielders in his time to be fair...

Agree with the shout though. I loved him when he was here but an absolute class act for Everton and then again for Arsenal. He could have played in any team.

Genuinely - Messi.

Everyone has got so used to him scoring 50+ goals a season that they see it as normal now. If anyone else done it they'd almost be guaranteed a Ballon d'Or. He's been overlooked for it for years now which is mental when you actually watch him and break down his stats.

Read something the other day that if you started your career today and scored 40 goals a season for 15 years you'd still be 71 goals behind Messi...plus 286 assists in that time.

How can you be underrated if you are considered to be the greatest of all time? :oops:

OP quite clearly states underrated non Rangers players. Loads of posts follow listing Rangers players both current and former... then someone says Messi. What the fūck is going on here?

Back