Underrated Players

D11FYY

Okay so made a Overrated Players thread

Who do you have as Underrated?

For us :

Past :

Present :
————————

For us : Hemdani (I know some people ain’t his biggest fan, just I felt he done the dirty work infront of the defence)

Past : Guti - he was a joy to watch

Present : Tam Mueller always feel he crops up with important goals and often goes under looked with some of the super stars he’s worked with

For us: Mo Edu. Always good for doing the dirty work, key component of Walter's 3IAR, two League cup and Scottish Cup victories.

Past; Ludovic Giuly - absolute joy to watch on the ball and an incredible "Number 10" playmaker for the Monaco team of the early 2000's and the mid-2000 Barcelona team. Overlooked at national team for Zidane (who he regularly bested at a domestic level) and overlooked for his achievements because of what came after his era at Barcelona.

Present: Olivier Giroud - Won damned near everything in the game, an artist with the ball at his feet and a serious threat when the ball is in the air, leads the line for AC Milan but would never be on a list of "greatest strikers" of the last decade.

For us: Mo Edu.

Past; Ludovic Giuly - absolute joy to watch on the ball and an incredible "Number 10" playmaker for the Monaco team of the early 2000's and the mid-2000 Barcelona team. Overlooked at national team for Zidane (who he regularly bested at a domestic level) and overlooked for his achievements because of what came after his era at Barcelona.

Present: Olivier Giroud - Won damned near everything in the game, an artist with the ball at his feet and a serious threat when the ball is in the air, leads the line for AC Milan but would never be on a list of "greatest strikers" of the last decade.
All Great Shouts
Was ashame with Guily moving to Barca he would have been better going to Inter/Milan/Munich. But I suppose playing alongside some of the team he did you would be mad not to take that chance.

In this day and age there is that much content available and so many opinions very few players are underrated, I mean Muller isn't is he, he's bloody adored by f*cking loads of football fans.

Fabian Schar probably doesn't get as much credit as he should, or has for a good few years even prior to the money coming into Newcastle, could have easily done a job for any side in the EPL, excellent player.

For us: Mo Edu. Always good for doing the dirty work, key component of Walter's 3IAR, two League cup and Scottish Cup victories.

Giroud is a good shout. Popped up with vital goals for Arsenal, but never really appreciated.

Giroud is a good shout. Popped up with vital goals for Arsenal, but never really appreciated.
Especially when France won the World Cup, their fans basically said they'd have "won it better" with Benzema up front and that he was "the weak link" when he was doing all the grunt work that Griezmann and Mbappe refused to do.

Giroud is the all-time top scorer for France.

Arsenal genuinely must have been kicking themselves for years after he left. Giroud must be loving his trophy collection however

For us. Arveladze and Wallace. Two strikers that don't get talked about enough when it comes to strikers of last 30 years at us.

Past: Redondo. An absolute magician.

Now: Have to agree with shouts for Giroud. Great record and never fully appreciated what he brings for club and country.

For us. Arveladze and Wallace. Two strikers that don't get talked about enough when it comes to strikers of last 30 years at us.

Past: Redondo. An absolute magician.

Now: Have to agree with shouts for Giroud. Great record and never fully appreciated what he brings for club and country.
Defo Wallace he was great for us. Arverladze was a good striker just not great for us probably because he was so one dimensional.

Watched a thing on Tiktok about Redondo was a great story about him if I find it I will repost.

For us: Arveladze. Scored some very important goals and his technique/game intelligence was unreal at times.

Past: mentioned him in previous similar threads but for me, Diego Forlan. From joke figure at Man Utd to one of the deadliest strikers on the planet at Villarreal/Atletico in the early 00s.

Present: maybe slightly controversial but Wilfried Zaha has all the attributes of the top wingers/forwards in the world. Made some baffling decisions though. From moving to United too early (disaster) to playing out what should be his best years of his career in Turkey is pretty wild. Money talks I guess.

Verratti.

Joy to watch, hardly ever gave the ball away. Could've walked into any midfield of the last decade.

Thomas Muller
Raphael Guerreiro
Dani Carvajal

For us Sergio Porrini was a tank, don't think he got the recognition he deserved like Pieter Huistra, very underrated imo.
More recently I'd loved to have seen Greg Stewart given more game time.

Craig Moore
Okay so made a Overrated Players thread

Who do you have as Underrated?

For us :

Past :

Present :
————————

For us : Hemdani (I know some people ain’t his biggest fan, just I felt he done the dirty work infront of the defence)

Past : Guti - he was a joy to watch

Present : Tam Mueller always feel he crops up with important goals and often goes under looked with some of the super stars he’s worked with
G

For us - John Brown. Held down a place in what was one of our greatest periods and new got a look in for the national team. Was also a much better player than just the hard man image some had of him.

Past - Andy Brehme. A huge part of a World Cup winning team, strolled it in Italy when that was the world's strongest league but rarely gets a mention when people talk of 'best of' in that position.

Now - Son. He's done it again tonight with a tremendous goal but never seems to be any talk of the elite teams coming in for him. Seems like he'd fit in anywhere and be a top performer in any league.

I underrated Marvin Andrews who, without being Baresi, significantly exceeded my expectations.

Going even further back, likewise Dave McKinnon...

Further afield I honestly think that despite his goals, Jamie Vardy was underrated, otherwise surely one of the mega clubs would have come calling?

Ian Ferguson not by bears but by everyone else absolutely tremendous player should have won way more caps than he did around 10 or some ridiculous amount

John Brown as above not sure he was even capped

Another player I thought was underrated
John Wark

Willie Mathieson was one of the most underrated players by Rangers fans but he was very much rated by Scot Symon, Davie White, Willie Waddell and Jock Wallace

For us: Lovenkrands and Buffel. They scored some important goals for us but there was still a large element of the support, from my memory that wouldn't take to them.

I used to hate it years back when Bobby Russell wasnt in the team .Talking to older bears and input from team mates who played alongside him, Alex Willoughby was a top, top player.
A player I thought was under rated was Clive Allan. I thought he was a tremendous player.

For us :

Get them laughing faced emoji's ready ....

Alec Cleland.
Carlos Bocanegra.
Gordon Durie.
Kevin Drinkell.
Shota Averladze.
Henning Berg.

See also, I know it was the depressing years but I thought Nicky Law got a lot of stick when he was alright for us in the lower leagues. Thought he was a tidy footballer and never bought the Mr Invisible patter.

Another mention for Steven Thompson. Absolute throbber of a guy and he's like the Tom Miller of Sportscene but thought he scored a few important goals for us and was a decent enough big striker.

Think anyone who appreciated football actually understood his role & how brilliant he was at it. He had some crazy stats in comparison to team mates sometimes with the amount of km / distance covered
Him and Yossi Benayoun at Liverpool were guys who weren’t first picks but when they played they were absolutely outstanding.

Benayoun faded at Arsenal and Chelsea though.

But two incredible footballers in their day

Back