Union Bears doing a collection to help pay members legal fees

The UB were at Hampden to set up their display and were ambushed by the GB and of course stood up for themselves... The police should have did their job and stopped the GB from getting anywhere near the UB as they must have spotted them all in a group walking right towards Hampden !

Police Scotland have charged the UB for standing up for themselves..Sounds like victim blaming to me!
They've not been charged with standing up for themselves, they've been charged for fighting in the streets. The footage is quite damning. You do the crime, you do the time/pay the fine.

They've not been charged with standing up for themselves, they've been charged for fighting in the streets. The footage is quite damning. You do the crime, you do the time/pay the fine.
They had a reason to be there and had permission to be there, the GB did not. The GB ambushed them and they defended themselves or do you think they should have stood back and just let the GB attack them?

Doubt that any more than some colourful words would have been thrown and maybe some projectiles - I am not saying they are in the wrong but if I am walking up the road from the game tonight and two tims confront me, I chase them and give them a few slaps, end up in court - are we all gonna chip in for my lawyer, after all I was defending the fanbase and all that…
I would chip in for u pal if u battered 2 of them lol

Wasting your time mate, these people know exactly what happened and know exactly what they are doing.

They look for any opportunity to pile on UB, don’t get me wrong, there are times criticism is justified, but not on this occasion. I don’t know, maybe one of the UB lads took their seat at an away. game or something or maybe they don’t like the drum.

It’s any excuse to try and belittle, insult and criticize fellow fans, on a forum of course.

I'll bet they dont do the same thing with our women's coach. He'll be treated with respect despite assaulting someone.

Police Scotland failed the UB's by not stopping the GB going anywhere near them as they must have spotted the GB and just sat back and did nothing.
ACAB though, right? Why would the UB need or want police protection from the same people they're happy to portray as pigs on a banner?

And it's a bit of a stretch to say the police "MUST HAVE" spotted the other lot. Why must they? How many police do you think were at Hampden at 9 or 10 am on the day of a game?

Maybe instead of raising funds for legal fees they should raise funds to have an extra police presence when they're setting up their banners just in case their ultra pals come around for some pavement dancing and cone throwing again.

The UB were at Hampden to set up their display and were ambushed by the GB and of course stood up for themselves... The police should have did their job and stopped the GB from getting anywhere near the UB as they must have spotted them all in a group walking right towards Hampden !

Police Scotland have charged the UB for standing up for themselves..Sounds like victim blaming to me!

ned vs ned, nothing victim about it.

The UB really don't help themselves with the 'ACAB' pish either.

Defending themselves from ambush and generally heavy handed policing, yes.
See if the police were outside Hampden 'just in case' on either day while GB or UB were setting up their displays, just in case their rivals showed up, they would be claiming the police never leave them alone and it was heavy handed, unwarranted police attention.

But on the other hand you've got people here saying the police should have been there in numbers to protect from any attacks while setting up a fkn display.

Meanwhile others also constantly complaining that if they report something it takes the police too long to come and deal with their complaint. What would they prefer - 30 cops standing at Hampden doing not much, or dealing with what has already been reported?

You don't have post some amount of utter bullshit on here.

This is not hard to grasp, The UB's HAD PERMISSION to be at Hampden to set up their display, the GB did not have permission.

If anything, Police Scotland failed the UB's by not stopping the GB reaching them and maybe if Police Scotland had actually did their job on this day instead of standing back and letting the UB's be ambushed then they wouldn't be facing charges for just defending themselves...

If people want to donate then donate and if they don't then don't...Its not compulsory!
Add me to your ignore list then.

“This is not hard to grasp.”

ned vs ned, nothing victim about it.

The UB really don't help themselves with the 'ACAB' pish either.
See, your "ACAB" point is very fair. The GBs may have been the ones who attacked, with no reason for them to have been there. And I don't expect the UBs to just take a beating. By all means stand up for yourself. But it's truly pathetic to act the big man with the ACAB shit (which is juvenile, student politics posturing anyway) then bleat about how the cops didn't protect them.

I’m more worried about our away support, can’t say it is definitely the Union Bears, but imagine you are at a game supporting Rangers and suddenly you sing about a religious figure in a white robe in a European city you might have visited for your holidays.

An absolute riddy and destroying the reputation of your club and a team of all religions.

Utterly baffling

Last edited:
See, your "ACAB" point is very fair. The GBs may have been the ones who attacked, with no reason for them to have been there. And I don't expect the UBs to just take a beating. By all means stand up for yourself. But it's truly pathetic to act the big man with the ACAB shit (which is juvenile, student politics posturing anyway) then bleat about how the cops didn't protect them.
When the %^*& did anyone say they expected the cops to protect them? Why just make that up?

The point is that UB were at Hamden with the full knowledge and permission from the SFA, Rangers and Police Scotland.

A large group of scum were allowed to form them walk though Glasgow to Hampden to confront UB. Police Scotland should have been proactive and stooped the 19th Century Terrorist bastards from getting anywhere near Hampden.
But they didn’t, they stood back, watched, took pictures then published photographs in the nation press for any grass to give them a call.

The patter about people acting the big man, and student politics is complete bullshit as well.

They are members of society, they feel they are being policed to a different standard than everyone else, they feel that the tactics PS use are deliberately targeted, political, heavy handed and disproportionate.

They also feel they are being criminalized unnecessarily by PS and the judiciary in a country and a city that has far higher priorities than football Ultras shouting hurty words and holding banners up to worry about.

They have every right to protest. No one actually expects people like you to support them or stand with them, it’s fine, they will manage. At the end of the day, that’s your choice but really It’s got %^*& all to do with you.

As always, just jump on here with zero facts, zero awareness, and zero knowledge and spit bile towards a Rangers fan group

I dispair at the attitude of some people towards our own support for daring to defend themslves .
Shocking doesn't describe it .
Thank god this messagboard didn’t exist the day after the bohemians game in Dublin in 1984.no doubt some on here would have said “that we were wrong to defend ourselves and shouldn’t have gone to Dublin in the first place”

Standing your ground when being attacked is likely to be self defence, charging after them following that isn't. Isn't that where the charges come from?

Pleading self defence never works in that scenario as there is no danger. We can see why they did it but there isn't likely to be a legal defence against it

When the %^*& did anyone say they expected the cops to protect them? Why just make that up?

The point is that UB were at Hamden with the full knowledge and permission from the SFA, Rangers and Police Scotland.

A large group of scum were allowed to form them walk though Glasgow to Hampden to confront UB. Police Scotland should have been proactive and stooped the 19th Century Terrorist bastards from getting anywhere near Hampden.
But they didn’t, they stood back, watched, took pictures then published photographs in the nation press for any grass to give them a call.

The patter about people acting the big man, and student politics is complete bullshit as well.

They are members of society, they feel they are being policed to a different standard than everyone else, they feel that the tactics PS use are deliberately targeted, political, heavy handed and disproportionate.

They also feel they are being criminalized unnecessarily by PS and the judiciary in a country and a city that has far higher priorities than football Ultras shouting hurty words and holding banners up to worry about.

They have every right to protest. No one actually expects people like you to support them or stand with them, it’s fine, they will manage. At the end of the day, that’s your choice but really It’s got %^*& all to do with you.

As always, just jump on here with zero facts, zero awareness, and zero knowledge and spit bile towards a Rangers fan group

Totally agree. This was the morning of a cup final between ourselves and the tramps so, there would have been a number of police already patrolling that area as there always is when there is a cup final. To expect the police to protect members of the public and in this case ( The UB's) is expecting the police to do their jobs and the fact they clearly must have saw the GB within the area but didnt react quick enough to stop them even approaching the National stadium is a disgrace. The police knew the GB had no reason and authority to be in that area at all at that time.

This all didn't need to happen if PS would have stopped the GB and stopped treating the UB's differently and, they wonder why the UB's have issues with them!

Last edited:
Standing your ground when being attacked is likely to be self defence, charging after them following that isn't. Isn't that where the charges come from?

Pleading self defence never works in that scenario as there is no danger. We can see why they did it but there isn't likely to be a legal defence against it
They will all plead not guilty and it’s highly likely this will never go to court. Its a waste of time and money, nothing more than interruption and intimidation tactics. In my opinion.

I don’t personally believe ACAB in the literal sense, some of them are, some of them are decent. Same as any other profession.

The senior ranks and their political motives, thats a different thing entirely. I’ll bet anyone there will be a large number of serving Police Officers who agree with me.

See if the police were outside Hampden 'just in case' on either day while GB or UB were setting up their displays, just in case their rivals showed up, they would be claiming the police never leave them alone and it was heavy handed, unwarranted police attention.

But on the other hand you've got people here saying the police should have been there in numbers to protect from any attacks while setting up a fkn display.

Meanwhile others also constantly complaining that if they report something it takes the police too long to come and deal with their complaint. What would they prefer - 30 cops standing at Hampden doing not much, or dealing with what has already been reported?

I tend not to associate with the polis and couldn't really care about them.

If I needed to contact them, for insurance purposes for instance, then id need to

All I know is for years now they've criminalised football fans of all clubs, wether it's pulling supporters busses or "groups" to the point where people have lost jobs, income and season tickets.

I'll support anyone who's a victim of that when it's not out and out criminality or stupidity.

On a point of law you may be correct but on a moral viewpoint , contributions to pay the lads fines is the proper thing to do imo.Half the time our support prob toss change into buckets without a second thought of what its for in town centres every weekend so i,ve no issue supporting our own .
That scum need tramped into the ground at every turn and i applaud any of the bears who stood up to them .

THE UNION Bears will be asking fellow Rangers fans for money to pay for their members' legal fees during the team's match against Dundee United tomorrow.

And several Gers supporters aren't the least bit happy about it.

The prominent fan group, often credited with creating a fiery atmosphere at Ibrox, usually ask for donations at home games to fund their tifo displays.

But tomorrow afternoon they will be raising funds to help members of their group who will be subject to legal proceedings in the wake of trouble caused at last month's Viaplay Cup Final on February 26.

Earlier today, a further three men were charged in connection with a pre-match rammy before the game, which brought the total to 13.

Several supporters of both Rangers and Celtic were involved in a street skirmish in Glasgow's southside near to Hampden, hours before the derby clash itself kicked off at the stadium.

Police have confirmed six more men have been arrested in connection with the incident.

The three, aged 24, 26 and 28, were charged and released on an undertaking to appear at Glasgow Sheriff Court at a later date.

Three more, aged 18, 20 and 23, have been released pending further enquiry.

A report has been submitted to the Procurator Fiscal.

This follows the ten men who were arrested and charged in connection on Wednesday.

Eight, aged 17, 17, 20, 21, 21, 24, 25 and 25, have been released on an undertaking

Two, aged 43 and 21, appeared at Glasgow Sheriff Court yesterday.

Officers also confirmed that enquiries into the incident are continuing.

A Union Bears statement read: "Tomorrow as always we will have donation buckets situated in and around the stadium. This week though the proceeds won't be going towards tifos but to support our members undergoing legal proceedings following events we all saw at Hampden last month. Please donate generously, any amount big or small is appreciated.

"Our stall can also be found in the usual place from 2pm to 2.45pm with t-shirts, hats, scarves and other items available."

The vast majority of fans in the comments were unhappy with the plans

One replied: "I'm a regular donator however this is concerning. Tell me again why I should be donating to this as it has absolutely nothing to do with Rangers FC, Ibrox, atmosphere, Tifo?

"Bold move that may have a detrimental effect on future fundraising.

"Good luck, I'll not be donating."

Another Gers fan asked: "Is this a wind up?"

"So they get themselves into bother with the authorities but expect genuine supporters to pay their legal fees," said another.

"What a brass neck," came a further reply.

While this supporter fumed: "Absolute red neck of these daft wee boys. All cops are b******* are they? Aye, until you need them because someone hurt your loved one. Grow the hell up or better yet - just p*** off."

Some sections of the Ibrox faithful did seem keen to donate however.

Anywhere to donate online as can't make the game," asked one supporter.

Another replied: "I will put double the amount in tomorrow."

Several fans also commented "SWTB", an abbreviation of "Stand with the banned" as a show of support.
Folk getting all uppity about a voluntary donation. If you want to donate, donate. If not, don't. At least they have been upfront as to what collection is for. Other groups, including political parties fleece their members promising the money is for one thing and use it for another.
I didn't donate as I feel people are responsible for their own actions.

I’m more worried about our away support, can’t say it is definitely the Union Bears, but imagine you are at a game supporting Rangers and suddenly you sing about a religious figure in a white robe in a European city you might have visited for your holidays.

An absolute riddy and destroying the reputation of your club and a team of all religions.

Utterly baffling
I like the union bears and used to throw a fiver into their bucket most if not every home game

Their recent redneck revival of embarrassing garbage like NPOR and 50 pence flute means they won’t get another bean off me until they get a grip of themselves. They seem to have totally lost the plot since the older guy Ross was in charge of the songbook.

If it’s allowed to continue it’s only a matter of time before it seeps into a UEFA game and costs the club massively.

After the huge strides forward we made on the road to Seville and the image of Ibrox and our fans never being higher or better across the world, it blows my mind that some of our fans are happy to ruin it for a few horrible outdated chants.

I’m guessing there’s no footage online of the reason people have been arrested , all I ever watched was 4 coppers and people running about , to be arrested for that is a tad severe if that’s all it’s been

I like the union bears and used to throw a fiver into their bucket most if not every home game

Their recent redneck revival of embarrassing garbage like NPOR and 50 pence flute means they won’t get another bean off me until they get a grip of themselves. They seem to have totally lost the plot since the older guy Ross was in charge of the songbook.

If it’s allowed to continue it’s only a matter of time before it seeps into a UEFA game and costs the club massively.

After the huge strides forward we made on the road to Seville and the image of Ibrox and our fans never being higher or better across the world, it blows my mind that some of our fans are happy to ruin it for a few horrible outdated chants.
Correct, is it the Union Bears that are responsible for that?

If it is, can one of them explain why are they doing it?

Do they think that in any way it helps the team ?

Think some on here think they're in Florida where you shoot someone dead in the garden and receive I medal. As you say, once you chase after them you're not defending yourself.

Listen, I don't disagree with a lot of what you've said. The police should have stepped in. That they didn't might be evidence of an agenda. And yeah, many bigger priorities, totally corrupt and rotten, scummy political establishment. But don't give me the "people like you" line. I've defended and praised the UB on other occasions, and liked a post further up this thread that was supporting them. A lot of us aren't reflexively against the UBs, we are just pointing out the ACAB stuff is bullshit.

Correct, is it the Union Bears that are responsible for that?

If it is, can one of them explain why are they doing it?

Do they think that in any way it helps the team ?
It’s not, end of.

Legends game last week had more folk wanting to sing songs which have been out of the first team song book for years due to being outlawed or generally Stone Age pish.

ACAB though, right? Why would the UB need or want police protection from the same people they're happy to portray as pigs on a banner?

And it's a bit of a stretch to say the police "MUST HAVE" spotted the other lot. Why must they? How many police do you think were at Hampden at 9 or 10 am on the day of a game?

Maybe instead of raising funds for legal fees they should raise funds to have an extra police presence when they're setting up their banners just in case their ultra pals come around for some pavement dancing and cone throwing again.
Their ACAB and ‘if you hate the polis clap your hands’ chants today were mortifying. Love the tifos and some of the songs but I certainly don’t ‘stand with the banned’, i find it all ridiculous.

Their ACAB and ‘if you hate the polis clap your hands’ chants today were mortifying. Love the tifos and some of the songs but I certainly don’t ‘stand with the banned’, i find it all ridiculous.
Im a massive ub fan, but that chant about the police today was like a group of 10 year olds,i can see the club stopping that section.

First time I saw/heard ACAB was here in belfast and said/written by Republicans.

Strange thing for a Rangers fans group to come out with.

Pubeless wee neds

Yep, the ACAB chants reeks of nedism!
It's the kind of behaviour that I'd be quite rightly slagging celtc fans off for being lowlife scumbags.
Rangers fans should be better than that!

Back