Union Bears Have Two Choices – Lead Or Die

I read the first few paragraphs and stopped.

The UB are being blamed for this I see? Utterly laughable and for me it’s shameful seeing some determined to throw the only bit of atmosphere under the bus.

If it wasn’t for these lads then Ibrox would be horrendous on matchdays. We seen that for ourselves during their silent protests

The club are making them an easy scapegoat by shutting them down and not letting them relocate.

Next Sunday the full stadium will be singing the billy boys, you can take that as a 99% certainty. Will the UB get the blame for it?
Prior to 2007 who sang the Billy Boys at Ibrox
if the UB didn’t exist?

Let's be completely honest here, the UB aren't going to put their hands up and recognise any wrongdoing.

Much of the problem comes at away games. We could stop selling tickets for these but they can bought elsewhere anyway. The club should state that part of the stadium will be closed for two home games if these problems continue and hit the club with fines etc.

If the singers and those who run on the park at a goal realise the club have had enough perhaps they will finally show support and sing what is acceptable.
I think in the end it will take some drastic action which will cost our club cash and points before we start to identify and clear out those who no longer support our club but just have their own views on why they go to games.

Its a sad day when it is our own fans that are against the wishes of our club.
It's also a sad day when the club throws the fans under a bus as they did after the Hibs fiasco.

If you actually had a ST in the Broomloan Front you would realise the UB sing countless Rangers songs but no one else joins in until it’s Super Rangers, the Billy Boys etc.

Your post makes no sense, are you saying only the UB sing Rangers songs but no one else can hear them because they don't sit in the same stand?

Away with your "if you were BF like me" pish, sitting in a certain part of the stadium does not mean you are better than anyone else.

Your post makes no sense, are you saying only the UB sing Rangers songs but no one else can hear them because they don't sit in the same stand?

Away with your "if you were BF like me" pish, sitting in a certain part of the stadium does not mean you are better than anyone else.

Today I learned that I'm not staunch enough to sit in the BF and apparently I can't hear a thing from GF2.

So how do you ban them when UEFA regard them as the ultimate authority on fan behaviour?
How long would that take?
And meantime, how do we protect our club from more damage from them?

The club need to ask about their agenda based on numerous pieces of evidence i and many other posters sent them in 2011 on this very board. At that time we where high fived and congratulated for taking alot of time out to challenge them
Via emails and correspondence etc.

Whats changed ?how many incidents have the filth across the city been involved in with alot more video evidence available? We have been out of Europe during the years in the lower leagues and after going after out songs then , its now our fan group who spur the team on home and away.

People need to waken up and remember this is still the same piara powers FARE from 2011 . “ They havent gone away you know “.

The UB will have been told in no uncertain terms by the club - sort yourselves out or the BF1 singing section is finished.

Btw, I don’t blame the UB for this at all. It’s been part of the fans repertoire since I’ve been a supporter.

We have to change - all of us.

I agree. I was banned from FF about 10 years ago for suggesting we change the lyrics to avoid the inevitable punishments that would come our way as the world around us changed. Times have changed indeed with so many posters now accepting this was an untenable position.

We do need parity however with other clubs also facing condemnation and penalties for inappropriate behaviour. We all know these groups like FARE and NBM have an agenda but we need to box clever and not play into their hands.

The club should really have been engaging with them long before now on cleaning up the song book. They should have been using incentives like safe standing and increasing or moving the section. If there hasn't been any dialogue shame on the club, if there has been then shame on the UB. The club should have been more proactive on the songbook for years, it been quite clear that their approach to it doesnt work.

Whilst the support as a whole need to clean up their act, in the specific game we've been charged for the UB started the TBB and it barely made it out that corner. Their going to have to take their medicine on that one.

The club need to ask about their agenda based on numerous pieces of evidence i and many other posters sent them in 2011 on this very board. At that time we where high fived and congratulated for taking alot of time out to challenge them
Via emails and correspondence etc.

Whats changed ?how many incidents have the filth across the city been involved in with alot more video evidence available? We have been out of Europe during the years in the lower leagues and after going after out songs then , its now our fan group who spur the team on home and away.

People need to waken up and remember this is still the same piara powers FARE from 2011 . “ They havent gone away you know “.

And the club will be told you have fans singing about 19th Century Terrorists.
Until we don't have that problem we have nowhere to go in going after anyone, no matter how one sided things are.
That's the wake up needed.

Regardless of whether others in the stadium sing the banned songs, the OP's perfectly valid point is that where the UBs lead, others follow. They can either use that to bring about change, by having the sense to work with the club and lead the stadium with a repertoire of songs that won't see us landed in the shit, or take another path. It's up to them.

For what it's worth, I'd get them to speak with the Northern Ireland fans who did much to change the song sheet at Windsor Park while actually improving the atmosphere at the ground. We could learn from their experience.

Reactions: WBD
UB sing Rangers songs no one outwith the BF joins in unless Super Rangers, TBB or No surrender starts.
Last home game, the copland were singing one song and the main stand joined in, UB’s started up a completely different song instead of joining in. Almost child like.

I love the UB - however there are some massive flaws that need to be overcome if they want to try and represent us as a whole.

UB vs the club is much like the club vs UEFA - they're going to need to play by their rules since any fight would be a mismatch.
It's very much like the Hong Kong protesters, when China marches in they will have 2 choices, surrender of jail, China doesn't do democracy and UEFA/SPFL don't do British/Ulster pride.

They change or die. But more importantly WE as a support must change. The UB has been held accountable as the group that start most if not all of the singing. If it started in that section as a responsible group it should have been drowned out immediately. It continued and the brain dead day trippers obliged FARE by giving them exactly what they wanted.

There is no excuse we were warned prior to the game and shot ourselves in the foot.

The question now is do you want to damage the club or sing songs which are rightly or wrongly deemed unacceptable ?

My advice is to stay away from the football and divert your resources to enhancing the loyalist / unionist cause in a more political manner rather than the football.

We are a community and we know what we are and always will. There is no point in damaging our club even further by giving our enemies the ammunition they crave.

Shouting the odds at Ibrox will not change anything. If you feel so strongly about this then get organised politically. Because this is not about football it is a well planned politically inspired agenda against our support and community as a whole.

Well a few hundred people in a corner isn’t going to be heard all the way in the Copland Front when hardly anyone is singing Rangers songs is it?

It seems that way considering people have this mindset that the UB somehow only sing TBB and Super Rangers.

Well a few hundred folk in a corner isn’t going to be heard all the way in the Copland Front when hardly anyone is singing Rangers songs is it?

It seems that way considering folk have this mindset that the UB somehow only sing TBB and Super Rangers.

Yes? Have you ever sat anywhere else in the stadium?

The UB could sort this mess out, they are great and get Ibrox rocking but let's sack off the songs we know shouldn't be sung at football and just keep it to rangers songs. Time to grow up (collectively)

Last home game, the copland were singing one song and the main stand joined in, UB’s started up a completely different song instead of joining in. Almost child like.

I love the UB - however there are some massive flaws that need to be overcome if they want to try and represent us as a whole.
That I can agree on and seems to happen quite often instead of us all singing the same song

Even though they are a complete bunch of fannies, the Green Brigade just run amok on the city streets and basically have the city centre to themselves.
I’m not sure what it is that the UB’s do exactly. It is their job as Ultras to promote the atmosphere at games in a positive manner and denigrate our rivals on and off the pitch, neither of which they seem capable of doing.

The UBs should not be the fall guys for this.

The vast majority of what they do is good and positive.

If they react in the right manner, engage with the club positively, and lead the fans' efforts into ridding us of unacceptable singing, then it'll be their finest work yet – and we can all enjoy the fantastic noise and colourful spectacle they make for years to come.

Two way street, isn’t it?

The club have always treated the UB like an inconvenience, and lets be honest the board would rather the noisy bunch weren’t around.

Not the type of folk who care about fans or the atmosphere.

If the board want change, they should be pro active in it. Not daft wee PR videos. Speak to fans. But that would be too hard, wouldn’t it?

They staged a protest, as is their right, but you describe it as a "huff". That's disrespectful and, dare I say it, immature.

Dont forget the UB are fans like you and me. They work hard to create an atmosphere while others do nothing. If they walk away Ibrox will be dead. That might suit some.
I wouldn't call throwing big roll onto a pitch at one point only for our players to pick it up as mature.
I like the UB, I like the idea of the UB, in modern football I believe we need the UB however the OP is spot on as they must lead the way regardless of who's fault it is. Wither they will want to or not is another matter.

Judging by many of the responses on this matter (not solely on this thread) we have a hardcore group of bears determined to justify jeopardising the future of the club. The extent of the whataboutery that is being used is breathtaking. I've also read 'bears' making veiled threats to 'spark out' other bears that tell them to cut-out the repertoire that is inviting the problems. You could be forgiven for thinking those that insist on singing the songs walk up and down town centres the length and breadth of the country singing these ditties whilst threatening violence on anyone that might object. They don't though, they reserve the singing for Rangers games where it has maximum potential to damage the club they profess to support.

The OP is on the money. Some need to demonstrate their staunchness by protecting the club from further sanctions and if that means reporting offenders, so be it. I expect this will be met with the predictable cries of 'poet-like behaviour' but I can think f nothing more 'poet-like' than deliberately provoking punishments for Rangers and Rangers supporters. We need an end to the threat these songs represent for the club. It should be the staunchest of bears at the vanguard of the revolution.

Why are everybody blaming the union bears and putting it all on them to sort out the song list.when I have been at Ibrox or watching the games on rtv tbb or super ranges is started by the other parts of the stadium.70% of what the ub’s sing is about rangers or the players.they have brought back some old rangers songs.i have even heard them singing rangers easy ok.
I think it's more to do with the fact that they are the lead group atmosphere wise at Ibrox. It's very rare for singing at Ibrox to start anywhere else in the stadium.
Now being in my fifties I love TBB and Super Rangers songs, Ive personally stopped the FTP stuff as it does hurt our club and to be honest he is an irrelevance.
As SL has said, the UBs have an opportunity to lead us into a new era, will Ross and the boys take it...I really hope so as some of the stuff these young ones do is brilliant.
Time to focus on our club, football has changed, the world is one big easily offended bubble , we, as a support need to ensure no more damage is done to Rangers.

This simply has to be used as a turning point. Not just for the UB but for all of us. We must do everything we can to get behind this management team and this group of players who could be on the verge of something special. They want to give us success.

Or we carry on in the same old manner and we eventually end up with a f*cking loser like McInnes who thinks losing to the filth in a league cup final is an achievement. And for what? For the sake of a couple of songs? We need to smarten up and sharpish.

Blaming the ub is a convenient cop out for many it will be interesting on Thursday if any dodgy songs are sung i would expect everyone in the stadium would have their tickets taken off them and not allowed in any more European games

Very good post @sherbrook_loyal. I think the UBs are in a great position to lead the way and they should see this as an opportunity to change and make themselves a big part of the future at Ibrox. It’s only a matter of time before the SFA follow suit with more draconian measures in Scotland.

Two way street, isn’t it?

The club have always treated the UB like an inconvenience, and lets be honest the board would rather the noisy bunch weren’t around.

Not the type of folk who care about fans or the atmosphere.

If the board want change, they should be pro active in it. Not daft wee PR videos. Speak to fans. But that would be too hard, wouldn’t it?

Can i ask if you are in the UB

For those, predictably, saying it's wrong to single out the Union Bears, I can't be any clearer in my OP about what I want to happen going forwards:
I want the Union Bears to work with the club to achieve the end result of a packed and atmospheric Ibrox with the fans' group leading the way and showcasing their many admirable qualities.

The Union Bears are not immune from criticism, however – and certainly not over this current issue with UEFA.

Actually, I don't know why I'm spelling this out, it's all there in the OP.
I'm just not sure some posters are actually reading what I've said.
Is it even a fight they could hope to win?Rightly or wrongly surely the club could have them disbanded tomorrow by reallocating seats not to mention a few thousand people on waiting list for anyone not happy at being reallocated.

Personally I hope they work with the club on cleaning up the song book and stay where they are.

I think it's more to do with the fact that they are the lead group atmosphere wise at Ibrox. It's very rare for singing at Ibrox to start anywhere else in the stadium.
Now being in my fifties I love TBB and Super Rangers songs, Ive personally stopped the FTP stuff as it does hurt our club and to be honest he is an irrelevance.
As SL has said, the UBs have an opportunity to lead us into a new era, will Ross and the boys take it...I really hope so as some of the stuff these young ones do is brilliant.
Time to focus on our club, football has changed, the world is one big easily offended bubble , we, as a support need to ensure no more damage is done to Rangers.
I am probably in the same boat as you when it comes to ftp and the billy boys I have put rebel instead of 19th Century Terrorist but in all honest as much as it hurts we’ll have to drop tbb.we have lost that battle

The whole context of the song is sung for the wrong reasons nowadays. It seems to be a song of defiance and get it up ye"s rather than a battle cry. This day was always coming, with the concerted, relentless attacks on the club and support, we have been pathetically naive, uneducated and poorly martialled in dealing with the aggressors. Instead of organising ourselves to fightback off the park, we supply ammunition for their Bias guns to maim us. They must be so happy that the only educated retort the Rangers fans have is to sing sectarian ditties. Our whole ethos has got to change going forward

The UB’s will be hurting, like you OP and the rest of us we’ve all sang the songs. They are easily singled out. They need support not targeted. And here is a big IF

If they show leadership and run the song book.

As much as it’s the responsibility of them to lead us, the club are equally at vault. I’ve been saying for years they should be leading this group the way poetdom execs do at the piggery.

Don’t shy away from Derry’s walls or other songs proactively drive it and get rid of all the add on that kill it.

Years ago if they worked with the group to change a couple of words re the BB we wouldn’t be in this position.

I think the UB are fantastic and bring a lot to the atmosphere.

Just don't sing or join in with certain songs (or change the words)

It's not rocket science.

Hope the UB and the club get together so everyone is there for 55

I am probably in the same boat as you when it comes to ftp and the billy boys I have put rebel instead of 19th Century Terrorist but in all honest as much as it hurts we’ll have to drop tbb.we have lost that battle
We never started it

The UB will be fine.

If we got chucked out of Europe tomorrow (which we won’t, it will be a full stadium closure next), I’d be extremely confident of Gerrard not walking.

To suggest Gerrard would walk, is utter tripe.

Agree totally mate and with the first few replies you had!what I can't understand is how our supporters can't u nderstand the seriousness of this, we beat them twice last season and seen the reaction they will try anything this season to get us points deducted wether singing banned songs,or opening turnstile why play into their hands stop the songs stop them now,I've been a bear since I was 8,yes I've sung the songs in the. Past most of us have,but why are we still singing them haven't checked,but guarantee 50% of our players are catholics myself I couldn't care if they were black ,Catholic ,gay ,moslem,Jewish as long as they pull on that royal blue jersey and give110% every game I'd cheer them on,but your point where the club meet the UB'S has to happen!also believe the fat Japanese has put his neb in after his new appointment could go on about whatabourery of that lot but we know we're ruled differantley,and until that changes bears please please stop the songs,because sfa and spfl are just waiting for us to f..k up and it will be points deductionsFFS WAKE UP. WATP

As things stand, I'm of the opinion that the Union Bears are finished as a fans' group.

I think that the only way back for them would be if they were to work hand in hand with the club and lead the efforts to promote non-offensive songs at Ibrox and at away games.

Now, it's not for me to tell this group what to do as I'm not and never have been a member – but, if I was, I'd be approaching the club in an apologetic manner and asking what the group can do to work with the club in an effort to help educate our wider support – and safeguard the future of the Union Bears.

Just like they do with the offensive songs the Union Bears start, the rest of the ground would follow the Union Bears' lead if they started singing only acceptable songs.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if the club didn't just disband the Union Bears anyway – that's why it is, for me, imperative that the fans' group seize the initiative here to 1) lead the efforts to promote acceptable singing and 2) safeguard the future of their group and improve their relationship with the club.

Sadly, however, I think the Union Bears will take the huff again and have their silent protests etc, particularly with their section being singled out by the club over recent events with the UEFA charges.

So, instead of the fans' group – and the club – being proactive, I think that, one way or another, the Union Bears are finished.

I truly hope it doesn't come to this because there is much to admire about the Union Bears, but they need to accept criticism when it's merited – which it most definitely is in this case.
Are they collectively mature enough to recognise this, though?

I'd like to think we all – the club, the Union Bears, and the wider support – want the same thing: an
Ibrox with the world-renowned atmosphere that we're known for across the globe, but an Ibrox with a support who no longer sings the songs that will eventually lead us to being banned from Europe completely.

And, make no mistake, we will be banned from Europe if this continues.

Steven Gerrard will walk if that happens.
There's no way our manager will want to be at a Rangers who are banned from Europe – and there's no way he'll want his brand associated with a club who are banned from Europe because of what is deemed to be racist behaviour.

This would give Celtic a free run at the Champions League and effectively render us unable to meaningfully compete.

Doomsday scenario?
No, it's not.
It is a stark fact that we will be kicked out of Europe if we don't change as a support.

I'd be interested to know the thoughts of posters on this board who are members of the Union Bears, and, of course, also hear from posters who aren't members of the group.

There’s a very patronising tone to your post. I don’t disagree with what your saying, but using emotive and dismissive rhetoric such as the below...

‘the Union Bears are finished as a fans' group.’
‘I actually wouldn't be surprised if the club didn't just disband the Union Bears’
‘I think the Union Bears will take the huff again’
‘Are they collectively mature enough’

...Hints at an agenda that existed before this incident and for that reason I’m out.

Look, we`ve been caught with the proverbial breeks doon.
It`s happened, done and dusted.

But to point the finger is ludicrous.

The simple solution is the UB rep(s) get together with the club and agree no more sectarian songs. The club also need to LIST the songs not to be sung so all are aware. No arguments.

It`s THAT fkking simple.

FARE have an agenda
Indeed they do. They want to see us 'nailed to the floor'. Their agenda isn't going to change and they have the ear of UEFA so if you think continuing with the songs is a responsible and constructive response please explain why.

The union bears getting the blame when all 4 stands sing the song. I take it you don't sing it last season in Europe or at the last old firm either? If you did then you only have two options, lead or die.

Also your point about the ground joining in with only acceptable songs if the UB started them is shite. There are plenty of Rangers songs the UB start that no lady's front bottom else joins in with such as Wolverhampton Town, every other Saturday and a trip to Ibrox.

Back