Union Bears Statement on UEFA's decision

After reading the resistance to change on here and on social media, and arguing with fellow bears about it I have come to a point where I think %^*& it.

I just want to watch the football and support my team. I sang the songs when I was young stopped when I actually grew up and cringe every time I hear FTP, FB or Bobby fuckin Sands.

An arrogant, self important statement refusing to accept any responsibility, what a surprise
I think the statement could have been stronger and began to take the lead on new songs. In don't think it's self important however, and i have some sympathy in that 48k sang those songs, yet they carry the can. That's not fair. There will be 45k in our stadium who sang the offensive songs who are taking zero responsibility.

The union bears think they are better then the rest of the support new fare were going to the game but just said we sing what we want call older fans rangers da,s well I must be a rangers grand da having stood in the old Derry shed in 60s Copland road in the 70s
Suppose that makes you important

It’s simple - their punishments don’t fall under article 14.

We were fined for throwing paper on the pitch against progres 2 years ago - that didn’t fall under that scope either.

There are things that UEFA can fine you over but anything under article 14 closes sections and then stadiums. We can’t point at anyone to get away from this. We need to own our problem and deal with it as unpalatable as it may be to some.

Mate youve probabbly already been asked sorry for asking again but have you heard if there’s any punishments still to come from round 2/3 and Legia??
Surely they have to give us time to implement changes before they can charge you again?
This is why the club should be on the front foot next week just in case.

My worry is that the UBs and others sing in defiance against a combination of the board/SLO/UEFA/FARE - to do so may reflect their frustration, but would be a massive own goal
Hey bit harsh on me here! :eek: :D

The UBs are genuine Rangers fans. If they can’t see the consequences of what that action would lead to I would be shocked.

Mate youve probabbly already been asked sorry for asking again but have you heard if there’s any punishments still to come from round 2/3 and Legia??
Surely they have to give us time to implement changes before they can charge you again?
This is why the club should be on the front foot next week just in case.

Nothing to comment on bud

Hey bit harsh on me here! :eek: :D

The UBs are genuine Rangers fans. If they can’t see the consequences of what that action would lead to I would be shocked.
They add a lot to the atmosphere at our games, but shouldn't let their frustration with the position they and the club are in lead them to make any mistakes which could really cost the club

Recidivism under article 14 can also lead to fines.

"The following disciplinary measures apply in the event of recidivism:

a. a second offence is punished with one match played behind closed doors and a fine of € 50,000;

b. any subsequent offence is punished with more than one match behind closed doors, a stadium closure, the forfeiting of a match, the deduction of points and/or disqualification from the competition."

That is correct. If we sing the songs on Thursday the next stage is a stadium closure.

This fan group is in danger of taking itself a little bit too seriously. The statement basically says nothing new and accepts no responsibility for any suspected wrongdoing. Also they confirm the singing will continue.

They are going to force the club to make a major decision on the future of this group if they continue in this manner.

That is correct. If we sing the songs on Thursday the next stage is a stadium closure.

Exactly.

Clearly people have every right to hold an opinion, and to argue for it.

However everyone really need to realise that if this happens on Thursday the punishment is already there. That is what will happen. No mitigation, no argument.

That’s for your expansive answer.

All this “UB this” and “UB that” is like folk are discussing a grown up organisation.....which clearly it’s not

Incidentally, the Ibrox of 90’s when I myself was in the 14-21 age bracket throughout was far noisier across the board than it is now even with megaphone man and his disciples

Do some research on punishments dished out by uefa. Uefa are not singling us out, you just want to think that.

Don’t confuse the Scottish media with uefa.

I've tried mate, can't find anything detailed.

I understand there are section/stand closures a plenty, the actual detail of events is not easy to find.
I've heard/seen many events that merit it for racism, I'm trying to understand the level we can use as a comparison for individual words in songs that the vast majority of europe wouldn't understand from a Scotsman speaking never mind singing in unison that merit the punishment.

There are a few camps here. The uber stsunch who may continue and get the stadium shut, the bend over and accept it all and the realists who realise but do not like that certain songs are done in Europe but FARE etc are biased / corrupt and certain club's fans songs are a disgrace and deserve the treatment we are getting.

As the “Voice of Ibrox” they have a huge responsibility going forward.

Their wonderful work is tarnished with moments of sheer stupidity.

I’d hate to see these lads go, but they have a big chance to make us all proud.

It shouldn’t be difficult.

The union bears think they are better then the rest of the support new fare were going to the game but just said we sing what we want call older fans rangers da,s well I must be a rangers grand da having stood in the old Derry shed in 60s Copland road in the 70s
Good for you

Regardless of FARE?

Without fare where do we fail article 14?
Mate I'll defend the support on most things but we had fans singing about hating 19th Century Terrorist B's if a UEFA delegate could speak English and was briefed on words to look out for we'd be getting done.

It’s simple - their punishments don’t fall under article 14.

We were fined for throwing paper on the pitch against progres 2 years ago - that didn’t fall under that scope either.

There are things that UEFA can fine you over but anything under article 14 closes sections and then stadiums. We can’t point at anyone to get away from this. We need to own our problem and deal with it as unpalatable as it may be to some.
Greg, this constant rehearsed and almost pedantic narrative is becoming more irritating for a lot of level headed fans like myself.

We get it. The fans as a whole are to blame. As an aside, the club is totally wrong in its conduct towards the UBs. They are to blame not because they are UBs, but are part of a collective fanbase that must win, lose and take the wrap as one. Back on point, we know immediate change is needed. We know the consequence. I was in the North Stand today, and the message was clearly understood amongst the brilliant fans in the stand next to me. The floggings will continue till morale improves but having passed your view, the clubs view and UEFAs view on several posts....we get it.

However, equally true is this laissez faire attitude the club adopt against the constant attacks is genuinely concerning. They're not binary choices where one exists without the other, they are both issues that need addressing .

Let the fans sort out the singing, who's sorting out the clubs (lack of) backbone?

Dignified Silence from a Board happy to "Use" the fans and their money but posted missing when the going gets tough.

For those handwringers who are simplistic to think our enemies will stop at one word i urge they step back and consider that "Hoakey Coakey" was being lined up to better and Jail Bears.

The Board are weak, they lose every battle they go into be it SFA, Mhedia or High Court - their only "Victory" was on the back of us, the Rangers fans. I fear that this weakness will see us abused by corrupt officials and authority - if we do go clear in the league i fully expect a points deduction for us shouting too loud at a goal or being too British !

I understand we take the "hit" - but the way our Board have rolled over and shafted it's own is frankly quite disgusting.
You forget to mention the victory that dragged us away from extinction, out the hands of assett strippers, charlatans, vultures and now place us in a position to actually mount a challenge for the first time in a very long time but I don't suppose that will matter. The club lost fekk all battles, it wasn't the board in court debating corporate issues, it was lawyers, not Dave King, Robertson, or others

There are a few camps here. The uber stsunch who may continue and get the stadium shut, the bend over and accept it all and the realists who realise but do not like that certain songs are done in Europe but FARE etc are biased / corrupt and certain club's fans songs are a disgrace and deserve the treatment we are getting.
There's another camp who want us to ditch these songs immediately, clean our own act up and then start to challenge the double standards and the blatant bias/witch-hunt conducted by FARE. Any attempts to address this whilst we're still giving them what they want will fall on deaf ears and be brushed off as whataboutery.

What other clubs in Europe come under the same scrutiny as us for the words in their songs?

Do you genuinely not think we are being singled out?

There have been 3 or 4 other clubs that have faced sanctions for chanting this season. So we aren’t being singled out.

Don’t sing about 19th Century Terrorists and we don’t have a reason to be singled out.

I believe there is a lot of internet bravado going on here. I believe we won’t hear the songs on Thursday and if anyone starts their crap they will be widely shouted down.

What is boils do is everyone, from the UB to fans from other section having to wise up.

Once you do that you can go after FARE or whoever you feel has a bias agenda against the club.

What you cannot do is get caught with your pants down then try to defend your position by saying what about them.

Mate I'll defend the support on most things but we had fans singing about hating 19th Century Terrorist B's if a UEFA delegate could speak English and was briefed on words to look out for we'd be getting done.

Without the distorted information from FARE, where do we fail article 14?

FARE were discredited where our club and support are concerned long before this latest nonsense, mate. They've had a vendetta against our club for quite some time, years even. Rangers refusal to go after them has brought us to where we are.

It isn’t the board’s fault that some fans sang songs that are well known to be banned.

An automatic ban?

I genuinely can't see Thursday being naughty song free, was over for Progres and the amount of drunk morons singing was a lot.

And I was nowhere near the UB.

What is boils do is everyone, from the UB to fans from other section having to wise up.

Once you do that you can go after FARE or whoever you feel has a bias agenda against the club.

What you cannot do is get caught with your pants down then try to defend your position by saying what about them.

yup - sort ourselves out then more on to FARE.

There have been 3 or 4 other clubs that have faced sanctions for chanting this season. So we aren’t being singled out.

Don’t sing about 19th Century Terrorists and we don’t have a reason to be singled out.

Can you point me to links relating to these mate, I genuinely want to see the detail.

Greg, this constant rehearsed and almost pedantic narrative is becoming more irritating for a lot of level headed fans like myself.

We get it. The fans as a whole are to blame. As an aside, the club is totally wrong in its conduct towards the UBs. They are to blame not because they are UBs, but are part of a collective fanbase that must win, lose and take the wrap as one. Back on point, we know immediate change is needed. We know the consequence. I was in the North Stand today, and the message was clearly understood amongst the brilliant fans in the stand next to me. The floggings will continue till morale improves but having passed your view, the clubs view and UEFAs view on several posts....we get it.

However, equally true is this laissez faire attitude the club adopt against the constant attacks is genuinely concerning. They're not binary choices where one exists without the other, they are both issues that need addressing .

Let the fans sort out the singing, who's sorting out the clubs (lack of) backbone?

Super post. Cant argue with any of that. My biggest concern is the attitude from those within the club. They seem content to allow the fans to carry the can and dont have the balls to tackle those out to destroy us.

I don't think there is any defence.

I agree that the club have thrown the UB's under a bus and that isn't fair, but in turn the UB's are a valuable asset in this because the club can show UEFA that we take their ban seriously we take the situation seriously and we are serious about sorting it out at its very heart, ie our singing section.

Basically, the UB's are having to take one on behalf of the entire support and the club itself.

Nothing about this situation is fair, it is one-eyed justice handed out in possibly the most unjust fashion, under the most biased form of evidence collecting by an organisation itself that is politically active and led by an agenda that will target certain clubs whilst ignoring others just as culpable.

However, we need UEFA and their competitions more than they need us.
They hold all the cards in this matter and we have none.
This is one of these situations where you doff your cap and eat dirt, because quite honestly there is simply no alternative.

I can't quite get it out of my head, that UEFA and their intransigent despotic nature are very much a mirror image of their big brother The EU.
But maybe I am myself being unfair in that.
Nonetheless!

I couldn't have put it better myself...This all day long.

You forget to mention the victory that dragged us away from extinction, out the hands of assett strippers, charlatans, vultures and now place us in a position to actually mount a challenge for the first time in a very long time but I don't suppose that will matter. The club lost fekk all battles, it wasn't the board in court debating corporate issues, it was lawyers, not Dave King, Robertson, or others
It's also ludicrous to expect the board to try and defend songs about "f*nians" etc. No chance they would, or should, do that.

As someone who has a foot in both camps I get that on many issues the fan base would like more aggressive reactions over some issues (Kilmarnock for example). I get that and feed that back. On this issue the club couldn’t take a defensive stance.

But on this one the club couldn’t have been more clear and my immediate concern is over Thursday. The board can’t fight their way out of this. they can’t argue away a stadium closure if the worst happens on Thursday. That is why I am focused on this point and I believe we all should be over the next few days.

As someone who has a foot in both camps I get that on many issues the fan base would like more aggressive reactions over some issues (Kilmarnock for example). I get that and feed that back. On this issue the club couldn’t take a defensive stance.

But on this one the club couldn’t have been more clear and my immediate concern is over Thursday. The board can’t fight their way out of this. they can’t argue away a stadium closure if the worst happens on Thursday. That is why I am focused on this point and I believe we all should be over the next few days.
This about sums up the situation.

Why are we still debating this, everyone with a bit of common sense knows what add on or songs should not be sung, the UB has been a great influence on the atmosphere at Ibrox, but the Club has given clear warning that the 'bad' songs will not be tolerated.
If the support as a whole, not just the UB do not conform to the Clubs wishes then the ultimate power is with the Club. I have no doubt ST would be withdrawn.
When push comes to shove, practically every fan will back the Board.
So every fan no matter where they sit should realise that there is no debate about this, play the rules or leave ( I hope you all decide to play the rules and stay)
We have, in my opinion, the best fans in the world. Let's prove it

Fully agree - I bet you dinosaurs never ever thought they would become extinct.

Without the distorted information from FARE, where do we fail article 14?
What's distorted about it?UEFA decided years ago with the help of politicians and journalists from Scotland that 19th Century Terrorist was a derogatory term for all Catholics.Wrongly imo shamefully so but that's what they see it as.Fans sang the super Rangers song and a brief BB. Songs that as far as UEFA are concerned have derogatory lines about Catholics.That's the facts.

An automatic ban?

I genuinely can't see Thursday being naughty song free, was over for Progres and the amount of drunk morons singing was a lot.

And I was nowhere near the UB.

It's in the regulations

a. a second offence is punished with one match played behind closed doors and
a fine of € 50,000;

b. any subsequent offence is punished with more than one match behind closed
doors, a stadium closure, the forfeiting of a match, the deduction of points
and/or disqualification from the competition.

Back