Union Bears Statement on UEFA's decision

If you're charged with something, it doesnt follow you're convicted. Yet were charged and next thing punished.

Is there not a gap in the chain here?

I'm not talking bout what's went before, it's just starting to sound inevitable and with a lack of club support, unbelievable what's coming our way
What support do you need from the club not to sing about 19th Century Terrorists the IRA and Bobby fkn Sands?

The UB's you could argue have been let down by the club because the club has consistently allowed them to get away with stuff that should have been stamped out.

They're clearly young and are trying to drive the atmosphere but it's head in the sand stuff from them if they don't recognise dodgy songs has started in their area and spread-it might not be them but it comes from that area.

Their naivety about UEFA and FARE is remarkable but even after getting areas shut down seems the uber staunch on here and elsewhere are probably on a similar wavelength.

They should have been pulled in line a long time ago and seen some leadership from the big hitters at the club.

I think it's inevitable we may see a new sanitised singing section emerge whether it works or not is up for debate.

Greg has said this is not a battle the Board could ever hope to win. There is no upside to this for us. We play in their competition under their rules.

We might not have any crowd in future rounds if we continue.

Whatever folk think the “end game” is, football is not the outlet for political or tribal conflicts. Other teams might play that game, who cares, but we now cannot.

For every post about bending over and selling out, there’s another trumpet saying “box clever”. No one has done that despite all this “box clever” shitposts for years, and now we are here.

Go and shout on your street corner or in your back garden if you’re all about hating the pope or whoever, but hating your way thru a f*cking football match? Tragic.
Ps this isn’t a pop at you btw
Nobody hates anyone it's songs during a game of football. People taking songs as literal threats are not fucking well

I have been 100% behind the board until now. Their scapegoating of the UB and failure to stand up to this hounding by UEFA & FARE is cowardly at best. There was no challenge to the ruling, especially the racist part, no demand for clarification, no attempt to defend how wonderful our supporters have behaved all over Europe. The board have just bent over and taken it once again. I acknowledge the problem originated with Murray but if King and Co. are Rangers men they should realize this is a war on our club and support and instead of hanging supporters out to dry start to support them. Gerrard asked for full support on Thursday from the entire ground from start to finish. By banning the UB the board have ensured that will not happen and have removed the one section of our support capable and willing to “bring the noise” Gerrard desperately wanted. In their eagerness to appease, the board have shot themselves in the foot, I only hope it doesn’t cost us.

But it’s not for the club to defend the indefensible. The singing that game was loud and clear and I knew straight away we would be in trouble for it. The commentators also commented on it. It wasn’t one or two idiots that got the club in trouble. We can argue over whether it’s racist but the authorities (UEFA, government, police) class it as racism and we have to accept that. The club should not be fighting uefa on it - we just need to accept we can no longer sing the songs. The “but other teams can sing” nonsense is irrelevant. Don’t sing banned songs we don’t get in bother. What’s so difficult?

Bollocks. Every single fan is now aware of their responsibilities. Do you really need an hugely embarrassing statement from the board to tell you not to sing songs about 19th Century Terrorists and the Pope?
Thing is if the board were to do this, which I don't think they will and really hope they don't, then they would be openly saying what words / songs are unacceptable. The words /songs will then inevitably get belted out at some point in a game and the club will not have a leg to stand on in regards to defending themselves against any sanctions.

It’s only natural views and opinions on a matter like this one is going to cause a divide but in what is a massive week for our football club and the feel good factor start to the season, seeing this thread tonight and seeing the bitching and in-fighting amongst our support over this issue, it’s very disappointing.
Folk said while we came back up the leagues that the songs we were singing would land us in trouble when back in Europe, and here we are.

It’s only natural views and opinions on a matter like this one is going to cause a divide but in what is a massive week for our football club and the feel good factor start to the season, seeing this thread tonight and seeing the bitching and in-fighting amongst our support over this issue, it’s very disappointing.

Best it's discussed on here and other social media outlets to get the message across that Thursday nights are not the time to take risks with the songbook.

As much as there are differing views, that message will be clear.

No. Called irony. If you read anything before spouting tired old shite you'd have got the point.
Ah but I had read everything on the thread. Your post(s) have nothing to do with irony but nevertheless you choose to abuse my post(s). I pointed out I have never heard polite clapping to any Rangers goal in all of my time following Rangers. OK? Oh and you must have scarcely believable hearing that you are able to pick up people sighing. Unless that occurs in whatever part of the ground you are in.

The board have failed because they didnt engage with the fans. Issuing statements and launching well meaning but futile campaigns doesnt work. Ask uefa if you dont know this already.

They need to do more a lot more. For a start they could tackle the constant attacks on the club and fans including the press, media, NBM and FARE. That would show the fans that they care. They could employ a researcher to gather evidence an# present this as proof of the bias, double standards and lies.

Finally, and more importantly, they could engage and liaise with fans at a meaningful level. Dont dictate. It doesnt work. Seek agreement and cooperation.
Like where your coming from mate.

UEFA dont give a %^*& about the intent. We breached their rules and are serving their punishment.
I know that, but going by some on here the songs are literal threats. Plenty of the UB have mates in the GB etc. I agree the banned songs and words should stop but come on the over reacting is like a soap opera

If you're charged with something, it doesnt follow you're convicted. Yet were charged and next thing punished.

Is there not a gap in the chain here?

I'm not talking bout what's went before, it's just starting to sound inevitable and with a lack of club support, unbelievable what's coming our way

The club were charged and found guilty and had to remove sections totalling no less than 3000 seats. BF1 was in the charges that we were found guilty on.

It’s not inevitable- we have an opportunity to sort this once and for all

It’s all there in the second sentence of the second paragraph. “...and at no time have we been taken to task for the nature of the songs or the content therein.”
Why not? Why has the club not had a quiet word in the ear of the leadership of the UB and told them to cut it out? If they have and produce the minutes then I’ll stand corrected but a lot of people need to get of their high horse here. It’s not enough to be reactive Mr Robertson or the clown who is head of security (I saw him in action when I was over from the states and marked him as a pompous buffoon who was full of himself). It’s not enough the bring the LGBTQ community in, have the players wear rainbow colored laces and declare “everyone anyone” that is but the guys who produce the atmosphere they can get tae fk! To everyone that says”they know what songs were banned” so did Robertson and co. But they allowed it to be belted from the stands apparently unchallenged until our mentally challenged enemies have a word in UEFA’s ear.
Proactive not REACTIVE is what these lads are looking for.

The board have failed because they didnt engage with the fans. Issuing statements and launching well meaning but futile campaigns doesnt work. Ask uefa if you dont know this already.

They need to do more a lot more. For a start they could tackle the constant attacks on the club and fans including the press, media, NBM and FARE. That would show the fans that they care. They could employ a researcher to gather evidence an# present this as proof of the bias, double standards and lies.

Finally, and more importantly, they could engage and liaise with fans at a meaningful level. Dont dictate. It doesnt work. Seek agreement and cooperation.

The board didn't engage with fans? The club issued a statement before the St Joseph's game to remind fans that our support is under scrutiny.

You want the club to go to war with everyone, however, currently the club is being attacked because supporters have given others an open goal to attack us. UEFA don't really care about whataboutery, concentrate on ourselves - cut the 19th Century Terrorist chants and we won't have any more issues.

Also note that Greg mentioned in this thread he's met with supporters concerning this sanction. That is the club engaging. Unless you want Dave King to meet every supporter for a cup of coffee, I'm not sure what more you want the club to be doing.

What support do you need from the club not to sing about 19th Century Terrorists the IRA and Bobby fkn Sands?
Not the point mate.

If your charged, you must be entitled to respond. Now, let me be clear, theres little I can think of that can be said in mitigation - the fans are to blame for where we are....but as a principal, who spoke on behalf of the club, what was agreed and what was said.

Cause otherwise, its what's coming that worries me. If theres no club representation to a charge, if theres no cognisance of what we may have put in place to address the issues, if nobody stands up (hypothetical for Thurs) and says actually that report you have got is disputed for reasons x, y or z....then were screwed already.

There will be no shortage of haters looking to report us, regardless of the validity of their claim. Haters hate. But who stands up and pushes back on any Future charge??

And we’ve took away the tickets from the guys who do more to promote old Rangers songs than anyone else and realise the position were in now.

And Ibrox will now be full off pissed up Euro day trippers

Crazy stuff.
Staggering view to have nevermind post. And that's after their half arsed statement earlier today.

Firstly the UB weren’t singled out. BF1 was and for the reasons discussed before.

The OF allocation is simply due to having more RSCs than ever before, more ST holders than ever before, and more of the family stand buying their tickets than ever before. Not sure what they could do there to satisfy demand
Not having a go at you personally mate, I've just had my ears bashed by a lot of disappointed members in my RSC.

Not having a go at you personally mate, I've just had my ears bashed by a lot of disappointed members in my RSC.

And members of the away scheme in the same boat. Re away tickets we've all found ourselves in the same situation thanks to basics supply & demand economics.

@Greg Marshall the club need to do what Linfield did. A strong, clear statement saying which songs cannot be sung under any circumstances. If they don't, we will see a stadium closure for certain. Please get the club to lead this and be proactive.

However it makes us look, it is the only way to deal with this. If it's left up to fans to figure it out and self police it will be a disaster.

Staggering view to have nevermind post. And that's after their half arsed statement earlier today.
They have played a large part in bringing back old Rangers songs as have the BO and also new chants exclusively about Rangers with no religious or political connotations.So don't think it's a staggering view at all.

This is absolutely laughable. Who needs educated on what is a sectarian chant? Don't sing about 19th Century Terrorists, Catholics, the Pope, the IRA/UVF and we wont get booted out of Europe. It's really not difficult.
The Club tell us exactly what songs are going to get us in bother then ban anyone who doesn't heed their advice gets a ban. No ambiguity, the Club showing leadership, everyone fully aware of what is expected. What is so laughable about that?

It’s all there in the second sentence of the second paragraph. “...and at no time have we been taken to task for the nature of the songs or the content therein.”
Why not? Why has the club not had a quiet word in the ear of the leadership of the UB and told them to cut it out?

They’ve had a quiet word...over the tannoy before every game.

But it’s not for the club to defend the indefensible. The singing that game was loud and clear and I knew straight away we would be in trouble for it. The commentators also commented on it. It wasn’t one or two idiots that got the club in trouble. We can argue over whether it’s racist but the authorities (UEFA, government, police) class it as racism and we have to accept that. The club should not be fighting uefa on it - we just need to accept we can no longer sing the songs. The “but other teams can sing” nonsense is irrelevant. Don’t sing banned songs we don’t get in bother. What’s so difficult?

What's difficult is we dont even know what songs are banned? FARE are judge, jury and executioners. They decide and they can go whatever way the wind blows.

And members of the away scheme in the same boat. Re away tickets we've all found ourselves in the same situation thanks to basics supply & demand economics.
We got 4 tickets for the Old Firm last season and got only 1 for next week, that's a massive difference.

The board didn't engage with fans? The club issued a statement before the St Joseph's game to remind fans that our support is under scrutiny.

You want the club to go to war with everyone, however, currently the club is being attacked because supporters have given others an open goal to attack us. UEFA don't really care about whataboutery, concentrate on ourselves - cut the 19th Century Terrorist chants and we won't have any more issues.

Also note that Greg mentioned in this thread he's met with supporters concerning this sanction. That is the club engaging. Unless you want Dave King to meet every supporter for a cup of coffee, I'm not sure what more you want the club to be doing.

We are not under attack due to an open goal, those that want to attack have attacked for years and will continue to do so until we stand up to it. After the songs go, they will have the next line attack ready and waiting.

In today's modern society we need to change, of that there is no doubt.
But please, stop kidding on they are not at work to harm us and it's all our own fault.

It absolutely terrifies me that people cannot see the gravity of this and think the club going against FARE is an option here. UEFA do not care. Calls for parity right now are a scream into the void. If people cannot grasp this everything we have worked to rebuild over the last 8 years could be destroyed.

This is where I'm at too and it's a horrible feeling to realise that the longer this internal disharmony goes on, the more we edge towards the worst case scenario becoming a reality. The last few days feels like we are hurtling towards the void and we can only hope that Thursday passes without incident.

We cannot win any form of fight against UEFA / FARE, regardless of how valid some of our points are re parity and victimisation. It is impossible in the current climate. We could maybe challenge any future sanctions if it is apparent that FARE are changing the goalposts or picking up on the most obscure and tiny minority of chants (both of which I think they will do) but for now, the board have no choice but to do exactly what they have done this week.

UB are not solely to blame here, far from it, and I've actually hardly seen any posts on here that suggest that despite the "they're being scapegoated" narrative. They do bring loads of positive stuff to the table. But that statement does not help. No real constructive ideas, repeated criticism of the board and a lack of acceptance of ANY accountability whatsoever- pretty much everything I hoped they wouldn't come out with.

I do have some sympathy over certain elements of their treatment but they have to accept more than is maybe their fair share of the blame here purely by virtue of them being the most prominent singing section and the very area that have been singled out by UEFA. Of course the club have to act on that ffs! But accept, adapt and lead the way forward is the only positive way forward here. Get everyone round a table and agree on the next steps.

The club were charged and found guilty and had to remove sections totalling no less than 3000 seats. BF1 was in the charges that we were found guilty on.

It’s not inevitable- we have an opportunity to sort this once and for all
But Greg, you confirmed earlier if we are reported again for same offence, next sanction is stadium closure.

Let's not be daft here. We know that for various mischievous reasons, there is no doubt UEFA will receive reports of what some will deem repetition of what got us here. It will happen. So, unless there is a primary source of info which UEFA will only accept - match delegate or FARE (!!??) - over and above the tweets and emails probably already drafted, and unless there's transparency over the process, it's starting to seem inevitable.

You realise the club had to close 3000 seats. It didn’t matter what they did they were going to be criticised. I think what they have done is the best way of dealing with it, and it’s unfortunate that innocent fans are caught up in it. Maybe that’s what it will take.
But why target people in BF1 who weren't involved? I wasn't even present at the game, and wasn't given an offer of a seat elsewhere. If we've run out of seats then I'd rather have a fairer system of punishment, like a random ballot. I've literally lost my seat just because at other games I sit in the proximity of some of the offenders.

And does anyone think if Dave King thought we’d had any chance whatsoever of winning an appeal that he wouldn’t have looked into it? It’s costing us in both cash and reputation. The fact it’s been accepted and not challenged shows we are guilty

Folk said while we came back up the leagues that the songs we were singing would land us in trouble when back in Europe, and here we are.

I kinda see the argument from both points of views.

There was plenty warning that FARE were going to be in attendance that evening on Social Media. I can specifically remember when the song started, a guy behind me saying FARE are here tonight, we’ll get done for that....and he was right. That’s the thing, folk in our support aren’t stupid. They know the game our enemies play and they played us like a fucking fiddle. The folk singing the songs need to probably be a lot more clever in situations like that.

Other clubs have had countless fines over the years (guess who) for various offences yet there are no stand/section closures. Second we are back in Europe, we get it done straight away with a harsher sentence. That’s what needs to be questioned. And the club better do that.

Now financially there isn’t probably much of a difference between the total amount of fines from UEFA for different charges over the years and the loss of revenue from a stand being shut but politically the headlines of a stand being closed due to “racist singing” is a lot worse than “club gets fined” and again it’s another incident that gives our enemies leverage. They want Rangers to be portrayed as the worst fans going and sometimes we don’t help ourselves but the majority of times, it’s a clever game plan by various influences. It can be the BBC, it can be Clyde and it can be the idiots in the media like Spiers and Leckie and on this occasion, it’s the Celtic minded FARE.

The songs need to stop, its that simple. However I don’t like this undercurrent of “it’s all the UB’s fault” from some in our support and the club.

We should be together on all fronts and you have the UB’s with an axe to grind with the club and the club going for the UB’s. It’s not good.

The Club tell us exactly what songs are going to get us in bother then ban anyone who doesn't heed their advice gets a ban. No ambiguity, the Club showing leadership, everyone fully aware of what is expected. What is so laughable about that?
It's laughable because we all know what songs we can and can't sing. The Sash, Derry's Walls, Rule Britannia and Rangers songs are all fine. Songs about 19th Century Terrorists, the Pope, Catholics etc aren't.

Disagree entirely. It didn’t used to be banned it is now. It really isn’t that difficult to follow. Normal people manage to go about life without it, why can’t the rest of us do do. Clearly we have a group of Rangers fans (including UB) who feel their right to chant unacceptable phrases is more important than the reputation and health of the club. How ridiculous is that?
That is true. I would give people the benefit of the doubt and say they maybe didn't quite grasp the seriousness of it before now but anyone still singing it deserves all they get.

Back