Union Bears Statement on UEFA's decision

That was not the case though. UEFA ordered closure of 3000 seats. FARE reported to UEFA that the offending song began from within that section. Rangers can’t tell them to %^*& off, and they can’t close another section and ignore the section that FARE took issue with. That is the difference in the emails received by Supporters in the BF1 and those being moved from the CD7 who are only being moved for logistical purposes as BF1-3 is not enough to equate to the 3000 ordered by UEFA to be closed. FARE’s focus On who was conducting the choir with a Megaphone that can be heard above everything else. I think the UB are great for the atmosphere but we are at stage now of having stadium closures and expulsion. Nobody is denying most of the Stadium joined in.. but the UB left themselves wide open to FARE and Rangers have to be seen to doing something or face the further wrath. I don’t support their position, they should heid the warning before it costs us much more than a section closure. Can you image what would happen if we were expelled from Europa? Can you image how Gerrard and the Team digest that? We are now playing with fire. Our enemies are great and to their delight we are going to turn on ourselves. The banner today and this statement plays right in to their hands.
All that banner and statement done was push them further apart from the club imo it's a collective responsibility of us all to ensure these songs are not sung but at the same time the ub are influential fans group that many young fans look up to and they have missed an opportunity to totally condem any offensive singing they could of held a strong position on this while pointing out other points in there statement that they feel unfairly accused if that's there view point.

Who gives a shit?

If we get our own house in order then we can start lobbing bricks at others and making them look like the ones with a problem.

In England there is a complete zero tolerance of objectionable chanting and rightfully so.

The thing that breaks my heart is our absolutely wonderful songbook all about the team. We aren't known for renditions of FF or Every Other Saturday because some fans (many born way after the signing of Mo and the attempts by the club to revert away from this shit) want our identity to be 50p flute and We Hate Roman Catholics. It is actually disturbing.

Sing loud and proud but sing about us.

That's at position 2 ,in stock replies about this, shame you nearly hit a number one stock reply.
number 1 is whataboutery and number 3 is box clever!

This is about much more than just a few words in a song, it's about who we are and who we are seen to represent and about our very existence.

We could change a few words and then it will be something else and then something else and so on and on and on..

If the Board do not come out and defend the club against the Scottish media after everything that has happened last week, we have no chance of winning a PR battle.

That's at position 2 ,in stock replies about this, shame you nearly hit a number one stock reply.

This is about much more than just a few words in a song, it's about who we are and who we are seen to represent and about our very existence.

We could change a few words and then it will be something else and then something else and so on and on and on..

I am going to point one thing out to you, and then I am sure you and I can leave each other in piece.

I have seen that you are repeatedly complaining that people are boring you with their replies because it always fits in a certain type. How do you think we all feel about you saying the same thing repeatedly for the last 48 hours.

You want them to come out and defend us singing songs that have banned? This thread isn't giving me much hope for Thursday tbh. We appear to have a section of fans who just refuse to understand the reality of this situation.

Not regarding singing BB, I mean the club being slandered in the Scottish media by newspapers about our "Racist Singing". What a lot of nonsense. Dragging Rangers name though the gutter to make us look bad.

The club cannot sit there and take that.

They are easy targets because they are the ones who very specifically did it.v st Joseph's.

So they started it but everyone else who joined in from other parts of the ground are exempt then? Is that what we are saying ? So if the guy next to me starts singing FTP and whatever I can join in and no get the blame cause he started it ? That’s what these corrupt bastards at FARE are trying to do, cut off our main source of backing in the stadium. I agree this sectarian stuff has to stop but to single out one specific part of the ground is disgraceful and the Club are at it if they think that’s the only section the stuff comes from. They can hit us with pish like ‘ but that’s the part that’s being reported’ if they like but they better get real and stop pandering to the bastards who hate our very existence .

Bye bye Europe.

Least you can still sing the songs you want to sing though, every cloud and all that...

Sad attempt at being a smart arse! You don't know that I even sing at games! I'm more concerned with our club and fans being treated differently but, that obviously goes way over your head going by your attempt at a reply!

I am going to point one thing out to you, and then I am sure you and I can leave each other in piece.

I have seen that you are repeatedly complaining that people are boring you with their replies because it always fits in a certain type. How do you think we all feel about you saying the same thing repeatedly for the last 48 hours.

I have said the same thing because I'm witnessing the same stock replies.

whataboutery

box clever

get our own house in order

Now , we can stop "boring" each other........

Not regarding singing BB, I mean the club being slandered in the Scottish media by newspapers about our "Racist Singing". What a lot of nonsense. Dragging Rangers name though the gutter to make us look bad.

So what do you think their response should be? 'We accept these chants are sectarian, but they're not racist'. UEFA categorise these chants under racism and have found us guilty. I know a way we can very easily stop being found guilty of these charges.

That is the charge from Uefa, Racist (including sectarianism) chanting. We have dragged our own name through the gutter.

I agree we aren't racist but that's the charge

So what do you think their response should be? 'We accept these chants are sectarian, but they're not racist'. UEFA categorise these chants under racism and have found us guilty. I know a way we can very easily stop being found guilty of these charges.

That is the charge from Uefa, Racist (including sectarianism) chanting. We have dragged our own name through the gutter.

I agree we aren't racist but that's the charge

At least we can accept some of the things our support sing are sectarian! We know we are guilty of it and shouldn't sing anything of that like in UEFA competition, but you bring racism into the equation its a whole new ball game completely. Thats the real alarm bell going off when your clubs supporters get tarred with that brush.

Rangers haven't. The media must correct their stories.

time for the club and the UB to get together, a large percentage of the support want a safe standing section, the club could promise this if the song book is cleaned up and there is no further incidents home or away, let the guys police themselves on to something bigger and stronger that the whole cub can be proud of
Greg has already said the discussions about safe standing with UB included that songs could come back to haunt us, it's already came back to haunt us! I don't think the board will have trust for a safe standing section for a while now

At least we can accept some of the things our support sing are sectarian! We know we are guilty of it and shouldn't sing anything of that like in UEFA competition, but you bring racism into the equation its a whole new ball game completely. Thats the real alarm bell going off when your clubs supporters get tarred with that brush.

Judging by this thread, I don't think some of our fans accept this. I agree we aren't racist, and it's hugely embarrassing, but that's the charge.

Do you really think the club should be out there arguing with the media over the definition of the word 'racism'? Dave King making public statements insisting that Catholics aren't a race? The club are in an impossible situation with this one.

Most folk do want to question the lack of parity in decision making.

But they want to make sure we don’t get punted out the competition first, especially because actions in FOUR DAYS can achieve that.

It won’t be sang in four days time. And the UBs won’t be there to encourage it so everything should be just dandy, surely? That’s the gist on here is it not? No one would have sang it if it wasn’t for those pesky kids.....

It's the racism thing that gets me have they just chucked it in for effect,
I've been called a bigot on more than one occasion but a racist never.

Do you really think the club should be out there arguing with the media over the definition of the word 'racism'? Dave King making public statements insisting that Catholics aren't a race? The club are in an impossible situation with this one.

The board can only defend the fans when the fans give the board a position that can be defended.

Singing sectarian songs can never be defended. Simple as that. We want King to cover our backs? Give him a position that lets him do that.

The future is absolutely in our hands.

Judging by this thread, I don't think some of our fans accept this. I agree we aren't racist, and it's hugely embarrassing, but that's the charge.

Probably worded that first line a bit poorly BB, what I'm getting at is everyone knows we sing the songs every game, its no secret, the younger generation only sing it because thats what they've been brought up with. Can't blame them. Like growing up Muslim all your life then one day being told to convert faith. Obviously not to that extreme but you get my point.

I am also not going to slander my own fans in Northern Ireland who brought their UVF songs over to Scotland despite this being the main source of the problem from many years back and generations of Rangers fans have grew up with that culture if we look at where they problem lies.

Likewise Catholics from the ROI bringing their I.R.A. songs over to Scotland obviously taking up supporting Celtic.

We know its not a Scottish problem. All we have done is grew up with Ireland's problem. Thats the bottom line.

@Greg Marshall Anything the club can do on this? Or do we just sit in silence and get slandered a racist club despite the fact our supporters obviously aren't.

So we fight it and sing what we want?

We were told by uefa around 13 years ago to stop singing it after the Villareal game. We have been fairly lucky up until now that the FTP stuff hasn't been brought into scope. While we have powerful enemies I dint think UEFA are out to shut us down. Everything is in scope now and we need to accept that as a support and embrace it. If we dont we are in big big trouble

So they started it but everyone else who joined in from other parts of the ground are exempt then? Is that what we are saying ? So if the guy next to me starts singing FTP and whatever I can join in and no get the blame cause he started it ? That’s what these corrupt bastards at FARE are trying to do, cut off our main source of backing in the stadium. I agree this sectarian stuff has to stop but to single out one specific part of the ground is disgraceful and the Club are at it if they think that’s the only section the stuff comes from. They can hit us with pish like ‘ but that’s the part that’s being reported’ if they like but they better get real and stop pandering to the bastards who hate our very existence .
Do you want the board to shut the whole stadium then?

Don't worry, that will come in our next home Euro match if people dont smell the coffee very very soon

We were told by uefa around 13 years ago to stop singing it after the Villareal game. We have been fairly lucky up until now that the FTP stuff hasn't been brought into scope. While we have powerful enemies I dint think UEFA are out to shut us down. Everything is in scope now and we need to accept that as a support and embrace it. If we dont we are in big big trouble

just read my earlier replies and you can see what I think.

We shouldn't sing anything like that in any competition, not just Uefa. I hate the racism tag too but by competing in Uefa's tournaments we are agreeing to abide by their rules. Their rules clearly state that sectarianism comes under the same scope as racism. We broke that rule and were charged accordingly under it.

Don't want that charge against us, don't sing those songs.

Can we though?

This thread, and the others on the subject, are littered with replies from people who refuse to accept any responsibility or wrongdoing whatsoever. There's even been folk saying it's fine to sing FTP as it's a legitimate political expression of protest and not sectarian, despite the stance of both the law in this country and uefa.

Same with those who continue to tell us their interpretation of what 19th Century Terrorist means. That's irrelevant, as its only UEFA's interpretation that matters.

What values you ascribe to the offending words are utterly irrelevant. Accept they are no longer welcome in the Rangers support and either move with the times or leave us to support our team without you (not you in particular NN)

Can we though?

This thread, and the others on the subject, are littered with replies from people who refuse to accept any responsibility or wrongdoing whatsoever. There's even been folk saying it's fine to sing FTP as it's a legitimate political expression of protest and not sectarian, despite the stance of both the law in this country and uefa.

Same with those who continue to tell us their interpretation of what 19th Century Terrorist means. That's irrelevant, as its only UEFA's interpretation that matters.

What values you ascribe to the offending words are utterly irrelevant. Accept they are no longer welcome in the Rangers support and either move with the times or leave us to support our team without you (not you in particular NN)

FFS IT DOESN’T MATTER WHAT IT MEANS. SING IT AGAIN AND WE ARE IN MORE TROUBLE. SIMPLE AS THAT.

This is the nail on the head. The original sanction never went away so blaming the UBs and hoping it sorts itself out after that is pie in the sky. It’s a support wide issue.

It's going to be difficult to fight it when the club has already released a statement to the same effect.

"UEFA has ruled that a group of Rangers supporters were guilty of racist behaviour – which includes sectarian singing – during the match against St Joseph’s at Ibrox on July 18.

It won’t be sang in four days time. And the UBs won’t be there to encourage it so everything should be just dandy, surely? That’s the gist on here is it not? No one would have sang it if it wasn’t for those pesky kids.....
Its the hypocrisy that I have criticised the UB for Senora.

On one hand they tell us themselves that they are 'the voice of Ibrox', and we have plenty of posts from others telling us how without the UB no songs would be sung, Ibrox would be a morgue, a library, they are responsible for the atmosphere.

Then, when a song has caused a problem, it's nothing to do with them. They're only responsible for the good stuff.

They had a chance to lead change. To step up and say we concede there have been chants which we now acknowledge as problematic. At no time has UB07 sought to tarnish the name of our great club and from this point on shall work to ensure the atmosphere at Ibrox, and the chants are in accordance with the image of our club.

On one hand they tell us themselves that they are 'the voice of Ibrox', and we have plenty of posts from others telling us how without the UB no songs would be sung, Ibrox would be a morgue, a library, they are responsible for the atmosphere.

Then, when a song has caused a problem, it's nothing to do with them. They're only responsible for the good stuff.

They had a chance to lead change. To step up and say we concede there have been chants which we now acknowledge as problematic. At no time has UB07 sought to tarnish the name of our great club and from this point on shall work to ensure the atmosphere at Ibrox, and the chants are in accordance with the image of our club.

Sorry I didn’t mean you. It was more an observation from the posts over the weekend when so many were desperate for a whipping boy. It’s a support wide issue. Every one is their own bear. Thousands sing it when the original sanction never went away, that’s the real issue. And while people were happy to blame the UBs and chuck them under the bus like that made everything ok there’s a very big risk it will happen again.

Can we though?

This is my issue with UEFA. If %^*& The Pope is sectarian, then so must %^*& The President and %^*& The Monarchy must be sectarian as well. You get my point. Why is the Pope the victim here yet everyone else is exempt from the debate?

UEFA have made it clear we cannot sing anything about 19th Century Terrorists. I understand this or Ibrox will get closed and the worst outcome is we have to play behind closed doors. This cannot happen.

But I would like Rangers to at least sit down and have a discussion with UEFA about why 19th Century Terrorist should not be classed under a Racist charge. At least educate them on the definition of the word. Celtic don't use it in UEFA competition, but they do domestically via banners.

If 19th Century Terrorist is sectarian to some, then so be it, but it should NEVER be classed under UEFA rules as racist, thats a whole new topic completely.

Surely the hypocrisy comes from others who have sung certain songs but think its correct that only 1 section of the ground getting the blame, regardless of what they they have or haven't done

Surely the hypocrisy comes from others who have sung certain songs but think its correct that only 1 section of the ground getting the blame, regardless of what they they have or haven't done

Am I correct in saying that BF1 was the section reported by UEFA? If that's the case, there's not much the club could do.

From what I've read, there are very few that are blaming the UB and the UB alone.

I can understand the UB frustration, but if 5 pals steal sweets from a shop you can't really complain if you're the only one that gets caught.

Its somewhere earlier on this thread (I think - there have been so many threads on this recently) that the UEFA delegate identified the offending chant as originating from BF1. As such, the club were obliged to close that area.

See if you asked 1000 people on the street that had nothing to do with rangers or even live in this country to describe that charges against us I'd say at least 60%/70% would say its racism. Me you and everyone else on this board would say different. The point is its regaured as hateful speech and there's no defence of it people just need to accept that there no place for this type of behaviour at the football anymore. And asking the board to defend us over it I'd the height of stupidity as they won't and rightly so you don't want negative headlines then don't sing these songs

What on earth are you talking about? If you sing about hating people of Catholic persuasion then you deserve everything you get. It's discrimination and nearly all of the people singing these songs are just learned from others round about them.

Let's sing follow follow, let's sing every other Saturday. These songs represent me more than 'we hate roman catholics' to a fucking Tiffany song.

I've read comments on here suggesting that it's our identity. It isnt. It's anti something else rather than pro what we are.Cut it out, grow up and support your team over everything else.

Am I correct in saying that BF1 was the section reported by UEFA? If that's the case, there's not much the club could do.

From what I've read, there are very few that are blaming the UB and the UB alone.
Everybody in bf1 aren't in the ub but the majority on here are blaming them alone, some Rangers fans have made bf1 the ready made scapegoat, its sickening

This is my issue with UEFA. If %^*& The Pope is sectarian, then so must %^*& The President and %^*& The Monarchy must be sectarian as well. You get my point. Why is the Pope the victim here yet everyone else is exempt from the debate?

UEFA have made it clear we cannot sing anything about 19th Century Terrorists. I understand this or Ibrox will get closed and the worst outcome is we have to play behind closed doors. This cannot happen.

But I would like Rangers to at least sit down and have a discussion with UEFA about why 19th Century Terrorist should not be classed under a Racist charge. At least educate them on the definition of the word. Celtic don't use it in UEFA competition, but they do domestically via banners.

If 19th Century Terrorist is sectarian to some, then so be it, but it should NEVER be classed under UEFA rules as racist, thats a whole new topic completely.
1. I suspect it's because everyone associates the pope with being head of the Catholic Church, and less with being the sovereign of the Vatican City, compared with the monarchy and the president who are political leaders first and foremost.

2. Why is it the job of Rangers to sit down with UEFA and educate them on the meaning of a word the board have repeatedly told fans they do not want to hear at Ibrox?

3. UEFA can class any word whatever they like as it's their rules and if we want to play in their competition we have to abide by them.

I understand why the UBs are angry at the clubs actions re BF1. And I may be clutching at straws but for me the final statement: ”the UBs will continue to grow and support Rangers in a positive manner” is perhaps an olive branch and something that the club should follow up and engage positively with the UBs on. We will only move forward with a more collaborative approach in the interests of the club. Perhaps naive to think that this is possible but we’re at a critical juncture so I hope that beyond the statements, both parties have a genuine willingness to engage. We need that to happen.

Bye bye Europe.

Least you can still sing the songs you want to sing though, every cloud and all that...

You can legitimately question FARE whilst not singing the songs that will get us into trouble, both are possible for folk with more than a couple of brain cells.

Everybody in bf1 aren't in the ub but the majority on here are blaming them alone, some Rangers fans have made bf1 the ready made scapegoat, its sickening

The majority on here are blaming UB alone? I have to admit I haven't read every page of every thread, but that's not the vibe I've picked up. There seem to be more people saying everyone's blaming the UB than there are people actually blaming the UB.

I could be wrong though and it's possible I've missed a lot of accusatory posts.

What's sickening is that we're going into an important tie without 3000 fans because some brain donors can't work out that the 20+ years (or 47 if you include Mr Waddell's speech on the park in 1972) of being told to ditch the sectarian shite or it could have consequences wasn't some sort of empty threat.

What's sickening is that even after being told that there is a partial closure, we've had posters trying to bargain that 'we can still sing it domestically, right?'.

People being angry with a section whose noses have been put out of joint because it was their section that was closed as the UEFA delegate identified that as being the source of the chant that caused the closure? Sorry mate, you're reaching if you want me to say that's sickening.

Back