Union SG lost 3 - 0 tonight.

Thinking positevly they have never experienced a tie away from home in Europe and came up against the most tepid Rangers performance in 5 years in the first leg, and better teams (Braga most recently) have froze at Ibrox.

Mechelen were in about them from the very first minute and pressed high with quick pass and move combinations.

Union did not like it and were being torn apart. Resorted to persistent fouling and must have had about 6 players booked.

Union tend to pack their 6 yard box so good deliveries from the wing are vital. They looked extremely vulnerable under pressure.

Cant see us turning it around i'm afraid :(

We really laboured to get a goal against Killie today (I know we got 2 but one was right at the death)

They are a very average team the issue was all about how shite we played.

Exactly this.

They are not a good side. Our poor setup and decision making cost us the match alongside a referee who forgot to check the revised rules on handball.

Mechelen are a very poor team, couple of good young players but overall very surprised at that result.

We caused ourselves all of our problems last week with poor first touches and poor pass conversation.

They were actually set up to sit deep and invite us to them but when they saw how sloppy we were in midfield they came out after us.

Penalty was a shocker but we know we can come from behind at Ibrox.

Early first goal and they will collapse.

We really laboured to get a goal against Killie today (I know we got 2 but one was right at the death)
Such is Scottish football nowadays.
Those defend in depth tactics,really are difficult to score on.
We didn’t play well,yet managed a 2-0 clean sheet.
If the Belgians play this type of game this coming Tuesday,then I’m afraid
its the Europa League again.But if they want to play like they did last Tuesday.Then I think we go through.

Wouldn’t say we look like beating anyone by three goals in 90 mins yet. Hopefully we can get it to ET and the home advantage sees us through but we’ve given ourselves a right fcker of a task imho.

We turn up with the right attitude and keep the back door shut, we'll be 2 nil up at half time.

As long as the 2nd half isn't Malmo, we'll win this tie.

I’m hoping our games so far have been warm ups, otherwise I’m afraid of what you are afraid of.

I’m not falling for it again. Watched them the other week struggle in a 1-1 draw and saw nothing to fear in them. Then what happened, happened. It’s Rangers I worry about.

They are not a good side, but expect similar to Kilmarnock today with a slightly more cutting edge on the counter.
They are twice as good as Kilmarnock

A well drilled organised unit that play like a team with a nasty streak also

I fear we’ll just come up just short on Tuesday due to our new players not “gelling” together yet and the 2 goal deficit

In think we’ll go out 3-2 on aggregate

Really hope im wrong

But if they play 10 men behind the ball for the 90 and score once we are done for and im a glass half full man

If it wasn’t for that penalty id have us to go through

I half expected a poor performance in that first leg but didn't think we would be THAT bad. Absolutely bizarre how we got it so wrong collectively. Didn't lay a glove on them all game. I doubt they will get an easier game all season. Infuriating.

2-0 in ninety gets us extra time we need to get behind the team big time for this one.

An early goal changes everything. Score inside the opening 25 mins like we did -
1 v Sparta
1 v Dortmund
2 v Red Star
1 v Braga
2 v Leipzig

Keep this us with Gio record and we can go through. Rangers to qualify at 4/1 - £150 on.

NTAR.

Gio plays the right team we will go through.But have to press them high up the park right from the word go.

Mechelen were in about them from the very first minute and pressed high with quick pass and move combinations.

Union did not like it and were being torn apart. Resorted to persistent fouling and must have had about 6 players booked.

Union tend to pack their 6 yard box so good deliveries from the wing are vital. They looked extremely vulnerable under pressure.
We're f*cked then

They'll defend, they don't need to go all out attack, but they'll be looking to catch us on the fast break.

We need to recreate the atmosphere Ibrox saw last season that spurred the team onto victory against Leipzig and Braga. Unfortunately I don’t see that happening because of the opposition and stage of the tournament.
Have a look at the UB thread on here and you'll see the difficulty we face .

They'll defend, they don't need to go all out attack, but they'll be looking to catch us on the fast break.
Absolutely.

Ibrox really could unsettle them if we are on it, they normally play in front of tiny crowds.

An early goal is vital, like we did against Leipzig. If not then we will struggle.

They are pish. Yesterdays game v Killie will be similar to this one.

They’ll sit in and hope. We better play the same midfield set up from yesterday in the main Tuesday. So that means No Ryan Jack stifling the midfield, no Kamara in an advanced midfield role.

No he doesn’t, last seasons home games in Europe show that
Yes he does, plenty of times he has been far too cautious, Tuesday night being the prime example, setting up defensively against a run of the mill Belgian team

History is not in our favour in Champions League qualifiers. I think the last time we scored three goals in a CL qualifier was against Herfolge of Denmark in 2001-02 to make the group stages. We beat them 3 v 0 both home and away.

I may be wrong but the last time we got to the CL group stages after playing a qualifier was against Red Star Belgrade, 1 v 0 on aggregate 2007-08 a real 'cloth-toucher' of home and away games.

Other more recent occasions we must have got automatic entry.

Of course we were wrongly denied European competition from 2011 to 2017.

However, I think we can score twice in 90 minutes to take this game into ET after our experiences last season at Ibrox in the Europa League run and hopefully get the third without reply.

Last edited:
Back