Union St Gilloise

They are defacto Belgian champions, if it wasn't for their mad system they'd have been crowned champs. Brugge just pipped them, and look at them in the CL!

They are defacto Belgian champions, if it wasn't for their mad system they'd have been crowned champs. Brugge just pipped them, and look at them in the CL!
The Belgian system had nothing to do with Brugge being champs.

Even using a conventional points system they would have got more than USG.

Just beat Braga in Portugal, 9 points from 9 in a group with them, Malmö and top of the Bundesliga Union Berlin - one win away from the last 16

Yep and PSV won 5-1 in Zurich too.

Both the teams we beat to qualify for the group stages, have proven to be very decent sides.

Seems to be conveniently ignored by a good number on here.
Probably because it doesn't suit their agenda.

Last edited:
Highlights again the enormous gulf between the 2 competitions, we did very well to qualify but are just making up the numbers in the group stage

And for beating an outstanding PSV side too?

There's not a chance the Gerrard side of last season would've made it through those games.

We were in freefall in Europe last season, until Gio came in.
Gerrard's team wouldn't have found themselves 3-0 down at Parkhead at half time twice in seven months though so it's swings and roundabouts.

Gerrard's team wouldn't have found themselves 3-0 down at Parkhead at half time twice in seven months though so it's swings and roundabouts.

In Gerrard's first visit to Parkhead, we rode our luck big time and never looked like scoring.
4 or 5 nil wouldn't have flattered them.

This current celtic side may well be overrated and the lack of depth in their squad is now maybe getting exposed, but I think we'd both agree that they have improved, in comparison to Rodgers last season and Lennon's reign.

Last edited:
In Gerrard's first visit to Parkhead, we rode our luck big time and never looked like scoring.
4 or 5 nil wouldn't have flattered them.

This current celtic side may well be overrated and the lack of depth in their squad is now maybe getting exposed, but I think we'd both agree that they have improved, in comparison to Rodger's last season and Lennon's reign.
Not really an excuse to find yourself out of the game for half time twice though in almost identical circumstances in such a short time period though.

And for beating an outstanding PSV side too?

There's not a chance the Gerrard side of last season would've made it through those games.

We were in freefall in Europe last season, until Gio came in.

Too many are filled with spite on here just now. They would rather focus on how our change in form in Europe is because of our players getting worse rather than because in Ajax (Dutch champions and one of best run teams in the world), Napoli (top of serie A), and Liverpool (perma-champions League finalists) we are facing the highest quality opposition we have yet to face each with the ability to spend money on a single signing that we would struggle to spend over a decade.

It says an awful lot that the 2 teams we knocked out in Qualifiers (a very difficult draw we'll remember at the time) are both unbeaten in their Europa League campaigns. Our levels won't have dropped much. It's just the step up is considerable.

Gerrard's team never qualified for the champions league after failing an easier test against the ten-men of Malmo. Like you say, swings and roundabouts.
I would rather be dominating in Scotland before we start worrying about the CL in all honesty.

Not really an excuse to find yourself out of the game for half time twice though in almost identical circumstances in such a short time period though.

No you're right, it's not.

He has to learn from it and it cannot happen again.

However, I still think that the criticism of him for the overall start to this season is ridiculously OTT.

In comparison to last season, which many of his critics seem to bring up, he's beaten 2 very good sides to qualify for the CL group stages and if we beat St Mirren tomorrow, we'll be 3 points better off in the league, compared to the same stage last season.

The majority of his critics seem to totally ignore the shambles that celtic were this time last season and won't accept they improved dramatically, from their early season form.

They gave us a game in Belgium - Can almost forgive them for acting like dicks, it was a novelty.

We seem to have a phobia about CL opponents that's sapping the team's confidence in general.

I think Gio got plenty credit for the PSV result, in fact it would have nice for the board to give him credit for it and some backing instead of downplaying how much it makes financially and spending half his transfer budget on a back up left back.

When too many results go against us that’s exactly happens
Our bread and butter is the league the CL is too big a jump especially with that group.
So we have lost once and drawn once in the league that is not “too many”, especially given the circumstances of the drawn match.

I thought they were bang average, bordering on poor. Their Maltese captain was playing French lower league football before arriving there and we allowed him to charge around like a prime Roy Keane. That said, they did finish second in the league so must have something about them.

Union Berlin have totally phoned in their Europa League campaign to focus on the league this season.

Some fall from grace for Katic's FC Zurich, btw. From winning the league last year to lying bottom of the table without a win in 9. They also got pumped 5-1 by PSV last night.

I wasn't overly impressed by them. Over there they started of cagey but our tactics invited them to come and have a go at us and then we turned them over fairly comfortably at Ibrox.

Fair play to them though. They seem to be doing very well at the moment.

That result tonight surprised me, given how easily we got the required 3-0 against them at Ibrox.

Fair play to them.
The simplistic notion that we should be like Brugge is given a kicking when you look at their league form.
Exactly. When we win those results don't get banked but when we lose that gets banked with interest and we all have to read the statement

Not allowed to talk about USG or PSV but never hear the end of Tim's or Ajax
It's a mindset thing. People choose to be negative so that if it goes wrong they're right. I find it sad.

I would rather be dominating in Scotland before we start worrying about the CL in all honesty.

I think the two go hand in hand, to be honest.

There's a fine balance, but the huge monetary injection that comes with CL qualification is integral to our progress. Particularly if FC Enabler also qualify - we can't allow a significant gap to open in the wrong direction.

I think the two go hand in hand, to be honest.

There's a fine balance, but the huge monetary injection that comes with CL qualification is integral to our progress. Particularly if FC Enabler also qualify - we can't allow a significant gap to open in the wrong direction.
People have wanted us knocked out of Europe early to concentrate on the league without thinking about the consequences.

I don't think the group we drew has helped us, tbf.

I think we'd have had a decent chance of finishing 2nd in celtic's group.
A lot don't really seem to take this into consideration as pot 4 team this was the second worse group we could have got

When our name came out of the hat we had the choice of the 2 hardest groups.

Back