Unusual Incident In FA Cup Final

Disco Deejay

Pedro was stretchered off during normal time, but couldn't be replaced as Chelsea had used all 5 subs, so they went down to 9 men (having already had a player sent off).

However, if Chelsea had equalised after he went off, the game would have gone to extra-time, which would allow them to make another substitution, so I assume they could then bring someone on for Pedro.

tumblr_mlfvtbQAJW1qe6n4co1_250.gifv

Not as unusual as Madden sending off Considine for nearly crippling one of our players today. I was half expecting him to book Arfield.

Is the OP correct?

I‘d have thought, in that hypothetical situation, Chelsea could have substituted one player for another, but not simply brought a sub on for Pedro who went off in 90 minutes?

Is the OP correct?

I‘d have thought, in that hypothetical situation, Chelsea could have substituted one player for another, but not simply brought a sub on for Pedro who went off in 90 minutes?
Assuming that Pedro would have been allowed to come back on to the pitch were he able to, then it follows that he can be subbed in extra time.

I think.

Or something.

So a team used all their subs and couldn't bring someone on for an injured player?

Never seen that before!!

Its a fair point that has been raised.
Chelsea wouldn't have been allowed to replace Pedro in normal time. If he got injured in extra time they would've.
If a game goes to extra time another sub is allowed but would Chelsea be allowed to just put another player on to replace the player they couldn't replace in normal time?

Chelsea wouldn't have been allowed to replace Pedro in normal time. If he got injured in extra time they would've.
If a game goes to extra time another sub is allowed but would Chelsea be allowed to just put another player on to replace the player they couldn't replace in normal time?
Yes, because theoretically they could have brought Pedro back on, only for him to immediately break down again and be subbed.

Correct. Glad someone got where I was coming from. Apologies to everyone else for not making it clear that it was a situation which could potentially have arisen. It's the first time I have seen a player stretchered off when all 5 subs have been used in a cup game, where an additional sub is are allowed in extra time.

Pedro went off on a stretcher during the 90 mins, but couldn't be replaced as they had used all their subs. However, there is nothing to stop him returning to the game, (similar to a player who goes off for stitches).

That was my point, bizarrely he could go off on a stretcher during normal play, then at the end of the game they can wheel him back on and since an extra substitute is allowed in Extra Time, he could be replaced at that point.

Correct. Glad someone got where I was coming from. Apologies to everyone else for not making it clear that it was a situation which could potentially have arisen. It's the first time I have seen a player stretchered off when all 5 subs have been used in a cup game, where an additional sub is are allowed in extra time.

Pedro went off on a stretcher during the 90 mins, but couldn't be replaced as they had used all their subs. However, there is nothing to stop him returning to the game, (similar to a player who goes off for stitches).

That was my point, bizarrely he could go off on a stretcher during normal play, then at the end of the game they can wheel him back on and since an extra substitute is allowed in Extra Time, he could be replaced at that point.
Tbh mate, gave myself a headache trying to figure out how to write that :))

Pedro was stretchered off during normal time, but couldn't be replaced as Chelsea had used all 5 subs, so they went down to 9 men (having already had a player sent off).

However, if Chelsea had equalised after he went off, the game would have gone to extra-time, which would allow them to make another substitution, so I assume they could then bring someone on for Pedro.
You do raise a good point - but I also reserve the right to play the "if yer aunty had baws" card.

Didn't watch it.

But judging by the thread title was expecting a Jack Russel to have ran on and headed ball into net

I was wondering why we never saw a replay of the incident where Martinez handled the ball on the edge of his box. Ref seemingly consulted VAR but we never got to see it again which struck me as a bit odd.
It was discussed and verified as a clean catch by VAR

I've been really impressed with him and think he's a strong contender to keep the shirt

it finished 2-1 to Arsenal in normal time .

I would have been furious if it was a Rangers player, he was half off the park with 2 mins to go, he could have rolled a foot and been off the pitch and allowed the game to go on.

I’ve a kinda related thought , once a club have used up all three sub moves of whatever total number of players , IF a goalie gets injured can they sub him ? Same question for an outfield player I guess but I suppose that’s a defo No . Are goalies treated like separate entities ( sic ) .

I’ve a kinda related thought , once a club have used up all three sub moves of whatever total number of players , IF a goalie gets injured can they sub him ? Same question for an outfield player I guess but I suppose that’s a defo No . Are goalies treated like separate entities ( sic ) .
Aww ffs!! We're confused enough as it is :))

No, the team would go down to ten men and one of those ten would have to don the gloves.

I was wondering why we never saw a replay of the incident where Martinez handled the ball on the edge of his box. Ref seemingly consulted VAR but we never got to see it again which struck me as a bit odd.

I’m sure it was out even with the crap tv angle

Back