Updated scam tactics - not BT Openreach

Three-in-seven

Just a heads up to beware of these cant's latest tactics.

The are now phoning up, pretending to be from BT Openreach.

They tell you, your broadband is running slow, because your router is not performing as it should.

They ask you to go to Speedtest.net and check your download and upload speed.

Then they say it's too slow, and should be faster.

Next step is to ask you to download Team Viewer and install it on your computer.

That gives them full access to your computer.

Your broadband will still be slow if you do that, but you will probably find your bank account empties
faster than your download speed.

Beware of these scamming bastards.

There will probably be some poor old souls taken in by that.
Unfortunately, you are correct.

The amount of calls going on in the background, when I was toying with them, was unreal.

They will catch a few unsuspecting folk.

I wonder why the chap got upset when I gave him a torrent of abuse down the phone.:D

I've had callers - usually 'Number Withheld' or 'International' - claiming to be from BT, Sky, Windows and numerous insurance companies, all wanting me to either give them access to my computer, information about my recent car accident or my bank details (so that they can send me a refund).

Depending on the mood I was in, I either told them to f*ck off right away, or strung them along for a while, then told them to f*ck off.

Last week, I got a new phone with 'BT Guardian' built in. Not one call since. I kind of miss them. No I don't!

I hate these pricks. I've disconnected my home phone was only using my mob anyway. Just have the phone line for sky now. Ignore all calls that I dnt recognise and if it's important they leave a message.

They have tried it twice on me in the last couple of weeks pretending to be from virgin media. I am with sky so played along with the muppet, had him holding on while I made a cup of tea. Then let him go through his spiel. Pretended I was an old duffer who hadn't a clue then when i got bored told him to go scam someone else. He got rather upset and called me all sorts and wished me a painful death.
I know I shouldn't take the p**s out of these muppets, but since I retired a couple of weeks ago I get bored very easily.

I've had a few calls claiming to be from National Accident Helpline which are obviously bogus. I just hang up.

All you cynical people.....!

I used to be one of you, until that lovely man from Uganda, who's Brother-in-Law is the Ugandan Minister for Oil, emailed me about a fabulous chance to make several $million US Dollars, simply for allowing the use of my UK Bank Account.

It's all totally legitimate, apparently - The Minister's Pension Fund allows him to invest in Overseas Property, and London is THE place to invest! In order to invest "significant amounts" he needs a UK National and his/her Bank Account to act as Intermediary - and there will be "substantial commission" involved. What could possibly go wrong...!?!?!?

I gave him all my bank details, and I'm sure the money will appear soon......

Every contact I receive, be it telephone or email is treated as a scam until I know for certain that its not.

Back